• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Hunter S.

I don't mind taking an RB late in the first like our pick. In fact I wish we would have taken Doug Martin last year instead of dicking around with moving back. Wolfe was a good pick up, but Osweiler, and Hillman would have been available later. What can you do though? I'm all for best player available as well, depending on the position. That's why speculating on the draft is so hard, in that there are so many moving parts.
This is one reason I am not going to over think it. I do not think moving down was so bad with such a late first round pick. Hillman and Osweiler might have been and are not exactly failures or wins.

By the way, has this draft started? I have not put thought into at yet, and plan to do so.

squicken

That's the past man! Living in the past is for Steelers fans.

I will always wonder if bad-Harbs wanted him gone for the mutiny, and this was all PR so it didn't look like they were just dumping all their vets

edit: Bestbaugh

bf14y2kcmamepcywcp2z.jpg

Well....it's definitely more "mature". And XCom's gameplay is significantly deeper for the genre.

Fire Emblem has a lot more RPG type elements such as relationships and a more involved storyline.

Both are fantastic games though!
I haven't played the original XCOM but EU's gameplay is way more shallow than any FE I've played. I did really enjoy it, though. I'm just kind of a FE fanboy.

MechDX

Sure. The addition of leadership in the locker room can be an excellent commodity. Completely agreed. I'm just unsure why the Texans went after him so hard. Considering the push you'd think he was that last key piece for them is all.

Is/was the market for Ed Reed that strong? (I haven't been following it all that closely)

If Cushing comes back healthy and Whitney Mercilus comes on at OLB this defense can be fierce. Losing Cushing last season was big. I trust Wade on this. He plays a lot of man coverage with a blitzing safety. Manning will be blitzing and Reed will play deep. Quin and the other safties got eaten alive on the deep pass last year.

There were rumblings the Niners and Pats were interested but never really linked to him.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Has anyone else noticed that PFT has basically become a mouthpiece for the NFLPA? Nearly every article there is either bashing teams/the league or biased toward the player.

So Giants-GAF, what can we realistically expect out of Osi?
If he's motivated, an excellent situational pass rusher that should be on the line during obvious passing downs and who can still pressure the QB very well. That strip sack tomahawk move of his can be deadly as hell. That's if he's motivated.

If he's there as a starter, forget about any kind of run containment on the edge from him. Teams will run right at him. They'll game plan around it (hopefully you've got better linebackers than the Giants) He's awful in that regard, gets easily washed in blocks in the run game and you'll watch him get pushed around past the QB as he tries to pass rush/bat the ball away from the QB instead of noticing the running back is 5 yards down the field.

If you got him cheap, not much reason to fret either way. He can still be a good player for you.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I haven't played the original XCOM but EU's gameplay is way more shallow than any FE I've played. I did really enjoy it, though. I'm just kind of a FE fanboy.

I guess there were tactical things in XCom that I really thought were pretty unique such as taking a rocket launcher and blowing a hole in a wall so your sniper can hit an alien in the back of that room. I also enjoyed the base simulation stuff that's so crucial to manage for your soldiers.

Meanwhile Fire Emblem feels like Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea to me. It's a great game but doesn't seem all that unique for the genre. I'm only at about chapter 8 so I'll probably change my mind. Like I said, the story is definitely better and the characters are obviously more interesting.

tmdorsey

If he's motivated, an excellent situational pass rusher that should be on the line during obvious passing downs and who can still pressure the QB very well. That strip sack tomahawk move of his can be deadly as hell. That's if he's motivated.

If he's there as a starter, forget about any kind of run containment on the edge from him. Teams will run right at him. They'll game plan around it (hopefully you've got better linebackers than the Giants) He's awful in that regard, gets easily washed in blocks in the run game and you'll watch him get pushed around past the QB as he tries to pass rush/bat the ball away from the QB instead of noticing the running back is 5 yards down the field.

If you got him cheap, not much reason to fret either way. He can still be a good player for you.

Sounds pretty much like a lateral replacement for Abraham, although it sounds like Abraham was a tad better in run defense.

eznark

Banned
Well....it's definitely more "mature". And XCom's gameplay is significantly deeper for the genre.

Fire Emblem has a lot more RPG type elements such as relationships and a more involved storyline.

Both are fantastic games though!

wat

The only "gameplay" in xcom is cover. I love the game but it's beer and pretzels strategy. It's the furthest thing from "deep" you can get this side of Stratego.

MechDX

I think Denver is the favorite. New England follow by Pittsburgh and then Houston.

I would remove Pittsburgh unless the Ravens sign Harrison. Wont be the Broncos because they will not kickoff with the Ravens on a road game.

It will be the Pats or Texans.

The only ones we want are Pittsburgh or New England. They're rivalries.

But if its the Texans you can make a #20 with duct tape on your battle red shirt!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

wat

The only "gameplay" in xcom is cover. I love the game but it's beer and pretzels strategy. It's the furthest thing from "deep" you can get this side of Stratego.

Tactically I don't feel like doing a lot with respect to where my units are placed in Fire Emblem. Healers are protected, ranged stays ranged, tanks and melee out front. Forts are important but not essential yet.

Like I said, I'm sure I have to get farther into the game.

eznark

Banned
Tactically I don't feel like doing a lot with respect to where my units are placed in Fire Emblem. Healers are protected, ranged stays ranged, tanks and melee out front. Forts are important but not essential yet.

Like I said, I'm sure I have to get farther into the game.

So, identical to xcom except that you have countless more options with what classes and weapons you take into battle with you.

Milchjon

there is butt implants as well

search butt implant gone wrong for lulzy gross butt implant fail

I knew about those, and I can see how those kinda make sense, considering the "importance" of butts and the fact that they seem to be rather difficult to mould purely by working out.

But calfs...

Can I get my left thumb augmented, too?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So, identical to xcom except that you have countless more options with what classes and weapons you take into battle with you.

I guess the sight lines for your weapons did a lot for me in XCom.

Weapon choices are definitely more varied in FE so I'm hoping to see more of that factor in as I progress through the game. The classes so far feel boiled down to melee, fast melee, tanks, casters/archers, healers, fast healers. Which is still more than XComs 4 classes. I haven't had a lot of time to mess around with seals though, again I'm only on chapter 8 and have only put about 9 hours into it.

I knew about those, and I can see how those kinda make sense, considering the "importance" of butts and the fact that they seem to be rather difficult to mould purely by working out.

But calfs...

Believe it or not but guys get calf implants a lot. According to reality TV anyway.

jakncoke

Banned

But calfs...

If you got enough money and shady enough plastic surgeon Im sure you could do anything

Tamanon

Banned
Baltimore needs to fill a gap with Lewis retiring, Urlacher should go there.

Their old, decrepit, tackle-missing linebacker slot is open.

So close! Hard to believe it's only 5 days away.

I need to finish up Tomb Raider this weekend..
I just finished it tonight, it was actually a lot better than I thought it'd be. It didn't feel like much to me towards the beginning but the more I played it the more I liked it. It's still no TR2 though!

bionic77

I guess the sight lines for your weapons did a lot for me in XCom.

Weapon choices are definitely more varied in FE so I'm hoping to see more of that factor in as I progress through the game. The classes so far feel boiled down to melee, fast melee, tanks, casters/archers, healers, fast healers. Which is still more than XComs 4 classes. I haven't had a lot of time to mess around with seals though, again I'm only on chapter 8 and have only put about 9 hours into it.

Believe it or not but guys get calf implants a lot. According to reality TV anyway.
The stats and weapon class mean a lot for battles in Fire Emblem.

Godslay

Banned
This is one reason I am not going to over think it. I do not think moving down was so bad with such a late first round pick. Hillman and Osweiler might have been and are not exactly failures or wins.

By the way, has this draft started? I have not put thought into at yet, and plan to do so.

It could have been worse I guess. From what I understand, we traded back due to the Steelers taking DeCastro. I'm almost certain we would have taken him there. Then we traded with Tampa, who I believe Denver didn't think would take Martin. I think DeCastro and Martin were our targets, and got stolen right from underneath us. Wolfe worked out, but Osweiler was too early imo, Hillman did well.

I'll likely won't be on Gaf too much this week/weekend, so just send me a PM on what you are thinking about the pick and we can work it out.

I also think Starphoenix wanted in on the Denver pick chuckddd if you want to add him.

I "need" to re-beat Bioshock 1.

I have family coming to town next week too. I bet I'm barely going to be able to play it. Fucking thing sucks.gif
I replayed it about two months ago. Still holds up but the drop off after "it" happens jumps out more with each subsequent play through (and that's despite the content afterwards still being very good).

I wanted to replay the second as well but never got around to it.

jakncoke

Banned
It could have been worse I guess. From what I understand, we traded back due to the Steelers taking DeCastro. I'm almost certain we would have taken him there. Then we traded with Tampa, who I believe Denver didn't think would take Martin. I think DeCastro and Martin were our targets, and got stolen right from underneath us. Wolfe worked out, but Osweiler was too early imo, Hillman did well.

I'll likely won't be on Gaf too much this week/weekend, so just send me a PM on what you are thinking about the pick and we can work it out.

I also think Starphoenix wanted in on the Denver pick chuckddd if you want to add him.

You got enough time, if we get 10 picks done the first week and half i'll be shocked!

Top Bottom