• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

I can't understand how a dolphin fan would like that nondescript, throwaway redesign of a classic logo. It's soulless, flat and completely uninteresting. Might as well just change the team name from Dolphins to something more fitting like Robo Mammals.
You mean redesign of a redesign of a classic logo? The current logo is decent enough I suppose but I like the new design more. It's less cartoony. I do think they could do better though, especially if they tried to stick a little closer to the original logo for a classy retro type look.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, so the Flacco hate is real. Got it.

But...who do you Ravens fans hope to get instead? You have a QB that just had one of the best offseasons in NFL history and you're not happy with that guy. Who do you want? It's not like there is a Manning or Brady in free agency and the draft class isn't looking great (and nobody in the top 5 is going to trade you anyway).

So, you can't wait to get rid of Flacco....for who?

Wrayfield

I can't understand how a dolphin fan would like that nondescript, throwaway redesign of a classic logo. It's soulless, flat and completely uninteresting. Might as well just change the team name from Dolphins to something more fitting like Robo Mammals.

I couldn't give two fucks about the Dolphins logo as long as they play some consistently good football. Really, I hope you didn't pick the Steelers because of the exciting combination of black and piss-yellow. Or that oh-so fearful-looking logo that looks like a half-blind intern in made it.

Logo-wise, I like the simple C of the Bears, paired with oldschool numbers-only jerseys. Just never cared about that team enough.

You mean redesign of a redesign of a classic logo? The current logo is decent enough I suppose but I like the new design more. It's less cartoony. I do think they could do better though, especially if they tried to stick a little closer to the original logo for a classy retro type look.

It wasn't exactly redesigned, they just tweaked it over the years. Now, it reminds me of the what the Penguins did to their logo in the mid 90s only to return to the old one in the 2000s due to popular demand.

JABEE

Worried he leaves. He's so good when healthy, that some team is going to offer him a deal, banking on his good health. It's just nuts to assume he will ever stay healthy

Without Bradford throwing him suicide balls, he will shine. Come to Philadelphia, Danny.

Cards definitely had the worst schedule. STL had the hardest record in 2011, 3rd hardest in 2012, and seemingly 3rd hardest in 2013. It usually won't turn out like that but who knows? Getting both AFCS and NFCS could help.

If I were a Cards fan I'd worry that they over-draft at QB and not fix OL
I'm pretty confident we won't draft a QB at 7 unless maybe Geno Smith falls there so I'm not worried. I expect we'll draft one in the second round, we'll see. Keim said we will draft a QB every year, that he believes that school of thought. Second or third round seems the right spot to take a flyer on these kids or at least they will be taken by second, one or two will hype their way into the first round I imagine as per usual. I really don't think we'll make that mistake, at least not if we stand pat at 7.
Still quite possibly the dumbest bitter argument I hear sports fans make all the time.

First of all joining another superstar doesn't guarantee anything.

Secondly all superstars who have won, have won wither at least 1-2 other superstars on the team. They might not have had to leave their team to win but they definitely had these super players on their team. Lebron left for less money for a chance to win. He didn't leave the Bulls, Lakers, Knicks, or Mavericks. He left the Cavs. He left Cleveland. Everyone would leave Cleveland.

He went about it wrong with the BS "The Decision" show but if anything its admirable to take less money, sacrifice stats (oh btw he still played and is playing at a MVP level), and playing time to win championships.

And no other star did that in the past because again they already had those amazing players on their team or because FA wasn't an option.

BTW people also hated Lebron before he left Cleveland. Anytime any player is so hyped from when he was in HS where every move of his is headline news on ESPN, then he will have an equally large group of people wishing for him to fail or disliking him overall. People used to relish the Cavs losing in the playoffs with all sorts of conspiracy theories about how or why they lost.

The hate went over the top with the "the decision" but in reality unless he chose to stay with Cleveland no matter where he went people would hate him and use BS arguments like "Ohh he had to team up to win". Actually became a fan of his and rooted for the Heat. Living in NYC the bitter tears and anger when he had the audacity to not come to the Knicks was amazing to watch.
First of all I never criticized him for leaving CLE, I criticized him for running to another top player in the league. I didn't say it guaranteed a chip nor did I comment on what it takes to win one. It's not the actual teaming up with another superstar that I'm focusing on, but rather the mind set Lebron had when making his decision. It's a sign of cowardice and lack of competitiveness that didn't exist in any of the greats when they were playing in their prime as he is. I have absolutely no problem with Lebron leaving CLE, I felt he had the right to as they did a poor job of building around him and giving him a legit shot at a title. He just should have chosen another team and not have conspired with other top talent in advance to try and form voltron. Just the whole way it went down is despicable to me. There were other great options like Chicago that would have put him in a position to win a title, but wouldn't have been seen as cowardice.

Maybe some people hated him before hand, but it was microscopic before "The Decision" that's what really brought out the haters. I think it was a douche move but it's not what bothers me, the aforementioned reason is. I liked Lebron in CLE and I'm a Suns fan so I have no reason to be bitter. As an NBA fan, it disgusts me and plays a part in what I think is wrong with the current NBA. I also already felt Lebron had the tools and build to be GOAT but he was also soft, doesn't have the killer mentality that Jordan or Kobe (who I hate as a Suns fan but respect) do. If he had that mentality, was bitter over every loss, etc etc man,what a player he'd be with that mind set. As is, he's still the best current player in the league and I appreciate what it must have been like to live with all that pressure at such a young age. I just don't respect his career any longer or his decision.

bionic77

All your Flacco love must have had me confused. And it's not happy for my team's success, it's the gravity of the moment.
Flacco treated me very well as a Steelers fan prior to the end of last year and this years SB.

I still have faith that he will have our best interests in his heart (see the way he sent Batch off), but I am a little wary of that unibrowed freak. He has not been as reliable as he once was in the past.

And as for the gravity. Please forgive me for not getting choked up when a homeless man and a felon say their goodbyes.

It wasn't exactly redesigned, they just tweaked it over the years. Now, it reminds me of the what the Penguins did to their logo in the mid 90s only to return to the old one in the 2000s due to popular demand.
Their current logo is definitely closer to the original, I'll give you that, but it's still different enough that I don't mind a more dramatic change. Ultimately I'm with Wrayfield, though.

Okay, so the Flacco hate is real. Got it.

But...who do you Ravens fans hope to get instead? You have a QB that just had one of the best offseasons in NFL history and you're not happy with that guy. Who do you want? It's not like there is a Manning or Brady in free agency and the draft class isn't looking great (and nobody in the top 5 is going to trade you anyway).

So, you can't wait to get rid of Flacco....for who?

I understand your point, but a QB doesn't take you to a SB, a team does. I don't expect to be back next year, we'll be rebuilding. We're going to lose roughly 8 starters. So I ask you, if your team was going to full of holes, would you sink 20 million into a QB who is slightly above average during the regular season? He may excel in the playoffs, but what if you can't get there?

Oh yeah, we'll get rid of our Superbowl MVP quarterback. Let the team bomb next year and have a high draft pick when there's a better qb class. Ozzie is on the phone right now to see if we can get back Kyle BolOHGODTHEREISVOMITEVERYWHEREANDITSNOTSTOPPING.

WanderingWind

I understand your point, but a QB doesn't take you to a SB, a team does. I don't expect to be back next year, we'll be rebuilding. We're going to lose roughly 8 starters. So I ask you, if your team was going to full of holes, would you sink 20 million into a QB who is slightly above average during the regular season? He may excel in the playoffs, but what if you can't get there?

You're not going to get anywhere without a QB, period. Flacco may not be Manning, but he's clearly better than the other options, so yes, I would be comfortable paying for a proven talent at the most key position in the game, rather than hoping we accidentally stumble upon the next Tom Brady.

If this was last year and you knew you had a realistic shot at Luck or RGIII, then maybe, maybe this would have some merit. But there is nobody out there next year at QB that is better than Flacco - a guy who just was the undisputed MVP of your post-season and the disputed MVP of the Super Bowl that you just won.

I mean, look at the names out there. Name me a guy you'd rather have that you have a realistic chance of signing at QB.

bionic77

Oh yeah, we'll get rid of our Superbowl MVP quarterback. Let the team bomb next year and have a high draft pick when there's a better qb class. Ozzie is on the phone right now to see if we can get back Kyle BolOHGODTHEREISVOMITEVERYWHEREANDITSNOTSTOPPING.
You know you are a real douchebag.

Kyle Bohler was one of my favorite players once upon a time. You Ravens scum treated him wrong.

I'm no lawyer, but isn't obstruction of justice a misdemeanor?
In the courtroom he was not found to be guilty of murder, but in the court of public opinion he is a murderer and cheater.

You're not going to get anywhere without a QB, period. Flacco may not be Manning, but he's clearly better than the other options, so yes, I would be comfortable paying for a proven talent at the most key position in the game, rather than hoping we accidentally stumble upon the next Tom Brady.

If this was last year and you knew you had a realistic shot at Luck or RGIII, then maybe, maybe this would have some merit. But there is nobody out there next year at QB that is better than Flacco - a guy who just was the undisputed MVP of your post-season and the disputed MVP of the Super Bowl that you just won.

I mean, look at the names out there. Name me a guy you'd rather have that you have a realistic chance of signing at QB.

But they can tag him, right? So they're not losing him.

After the team goes 6-10 next year they can keep him for a price more commensurate with his talent

We're going to bomb next year when we lose Ray, Ed, Kruger, Carey Williams, Ellerbe, Kemomeatu, Birk, McKinnie, etc with no money to fill those holes.

Anyone on a one year deal. Someone legit who gets cut. My ideal? I think Josh Freeman is going to get cut loose. Maybe after they sign Flacco.

But they can tag him, right? So they're not losing him.

After the team goes 6-10 next year they can keep him for a price more commensurate with his talent

This is the most likely course of action, and I'm ok with it.

Only a team who won a SB with Trent Dilfer could have fans that wouldn't seem to mind letting go of their SB MVP QB.

Try being a fan of a team that legitimately can't find a decent QB for years and it will give you a new appreciation for a guy like Flacco. Paying him huge money isn't ideal and it could certainly harm the team in other areas but you aren't going anywhere without him so it's not like you have many options.

It's just Ravens fans questioning Flacco's eventual monster contract, right? All other AFC team's fans should be happy Baltimore is about to sign Flacco to a team-crippling contract and flush any prospects of contention down the shitter!

WanderingWind

You know you're just high on the Super Bowl victory when you would rather have Josh Freeman than Joe Flacco. But hell, want a stopgap QB? We got a guy with real intelligence you may be interested in. Also, Vince Young may still be wanting a paycheck. JaBust is trying to make a big splash.

It's just Ravens fans questioning Flacco's eventual monster contract, right? All other AFC team's fans should be happy Baltimore is about to sign Flacco to a team-crippling contract and flush any prospects of contention down the shitter!

Joe Flacco is perhaps the greatest professional football player in the history of the sport. I'd give him 50% ownership of the team!

bionic77

Bmore is going to pay Flacco this year. Baltimore fans are just being smart and realizing how it will fuck their ability to rebuild and pay their other players.

The only question is how much are they going to pay Flacco and how will that affect other franchise qb's when it comes time for them to resign. I don't think anyone is going to cry when Rodgers is signing up for $28 million a year...

xnipx

We're going to bomb next year when we lose Ray, Ed, Kruger, Carey Williams, Ellerbe, Kemomeatu, Birk, McKinnie, etc with no money to fill those holes.

Anyone on a one year deal. Someone legit who gets cut. My ideal? I think Josh Freeman is going to get cut loose. Maybe after they sign Flacco.

This is the most likely course of action, and I'm ok with it.

You keep saying this but it's not true. We're not losing all of our free agents

Bmore is going to pay Flacco this year. Baltimore fans are just being smart and realizing how it will fuck their ability to rebuild and pay their other players....

This, this, this, this, this!

Come on Baltimore fans, why do you think fans of AFC teams want us to pay him? Why do you think Pittsburgh fans are screaming to pay the man? COME ON! Be smart, be real. You want to be in the playoffs in two years, or in seven?

More importantly, which one do you buy if you're me?

p15106295dt.jpg

or

p15106405dt.jpg

WanderingWind

There is some delicious irony in wanting to buy a "rings don't lie" hoodie when you hate the MVP of the Super Bowl.

Buy that one!

jakncoke

Banned
If Baltimore gets rid of Joe Flacco, they'll be bring in some loser FA from the sea of losers that I posted the other day or draft some loser from this class and will win 4-5 games and also get Ray Rice killed by running him 400 times because of no passing game. On one hand that'll be lol, on the other Tank Job!

The Ray Rice running 400 times made me remember this thing I found interesting while looking at his gamelog. Of his 76 regular season games he only went over 30 carries twice and 20 carries 27 times(35.5%). Be interesting how below the norm this is or if its normal. AP has 89 regular season games with 4 30 carry games and 45 20 carry games(50.5%). Arian Foster on the other hand 6 30 carry games in 50 career regular season games and 25 20 carry games for 50%

If Baltimore gets rid of Joe Flacco, they'll be bring in some loser FA from the sea of losers that I posted the other day or draft some loser from this class and will win 4-5 games and also get Ray Rice killed by running him 400 times because of no passing game. On one hand that'll be lol, on the other Tank Job!

The Ray Rice running 400 times made me remember this thing I found interesting while looking at his gamelog. Of his 76 regular season games he only went over 30 carries twice and 20 carries 27 times(35.5%). Be interesting how below the norm this is or if its normal. AP has 89 regular season games with 4 30 carry games and 45 20 carry games(50.5%). Arian Foster on the other hand 6 30 carry games in 50 career regular season games and 25 20 carry games for 50%
It would be kinda funny if the Browns really did steal Flacco, I would of course have to hate him just like Blarry did though.
Edit: browns best team in AFC north next season almost confirmed.

WanderingWind

You know who else got a ring? Cam fuckin' Cameron.

Did he also throw 11 TDs, zero INTs and won Super Bowl MVP by throwing for 3 TDs and not turning the ball over in the biggest game of his career?

I mean, I'm not trying to pretend like Flacco is a god. But y'all have officially went insane when you can still shit on a guy who had that off season.

Again. Fitz for Flacco, straight up. Have your people call my people, we'll hammer out the sandwich riders.

You're being overly negative again. I thought we were past this. Some of those names we can plug in new guys and be just as if not more succesful. Remember when we lost Bart Scott and Adelius Thomas and Jim Leonard and Todd Heap? Good front offices know how to let big players go and sign others to big contracts and stay succesful.

I mean Jesus Christ man, it's not like we're the Jets or something.

You're being overly negative again. I thought we were past this. Some of those names we can plug in new guys and be just as if not more succesful. Remember when we lost Bart Scott and Adelius Thomas and Jim Leonard and Todd Heap? Good front offices know how to let big players go and sign others to big contracts and stay succesful.

I mean Jesus Christ man, it's not like we're the Jets or something.

I do trust Ozzie. I keep repeating that in my head. It is my mantra. I just want to see Flacco be Post season Flacco during the regular season. I think franchise is the most likely move, and that's ok.

Top Bottom