• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

I do trust Ozzie. I keep repeating that in my head. It is my mantra. I just want to see Flacco be Post season Flacco during the regular season. I think franchise is the most likely move, and that's ok.
I know you're saying this because you're afraid of missing the playoffs but still... what a weird thing to ask for.

"I don't know man, Super Bowls are cool and everything but I just really wish we were the Atlanta Falcons of the AFC."

That Super Bowl honeymoon didn't last very long...damn.
Seriously!

Fantomex

I can't understand how a dolphin fan would like that nondescript, throwaway redesign of a classic logo. It's soulless, flat and completely uninteresting. Might as well just change the team name from Dolphins to something more fitting like Robo Mammals.

I am totally ok with that option. The look worked in the 70's. Not anymore. It's not old school enough to be Green Bay, Chicago or Pittsburgh either. Dolphin uniforms/logo/colors are in between an amateur team and an expansion team. And even then Panthers have better logo, colors, look than the Dolphins.

I think if we can get o-line continuity like we did this post season we will see playoff Flacco in the regular season. Add Caldwell who understands how the Rice/Pierce (and what a story this guy turned out to be) attack improves the QB play and 2013 is looking.....Flacctacular.

That Super Bowl honeymoon didn't last very long...damn.

Not my fault that every headline is "Flacco's Agent Says He Should Be Highest Paid QB"

I think if we can get o-line continuity like we did this post season we will see playoff Flacco in the regular season. Add Caldwell who understands how the Rice/Pierce (and what a story this guy turned out to be) attack improves the QB play and 2013 is looking.....Flacctacular.

This is another big part of it. I'm having trouble separating "Regular Season Flacco" from "Cam Cameron Flacco". It's entirely possible that what we just saw is the real Flacco when he doesn't have the biggest piece of shit coordinator in the world calling the plays.

lol @ the people who prefer angry cartoons for logos and think that if your logo doesn't have angry eyebrows you look pathetic. Fins are returning to that clean look, our colors are perfect for our city. Orange and teal every day, don't take it out on us you don't have a sunrise and a coast!

I am totally ok with that option. The look worked in the 70's. Not anymore. It's not old school enough to be Green Bay, Chicago or Pittsburgh either. Dolphin uniforms/logo/colors are in between an amateur team and an expansion team. And even then Panthers have better logo, colors, look than the Dolphins.

Hey, you like what you like. But I was always a fan of the Dolphin colors, unis (except that bad orange jersey idea) and logo. And I disagree about the Panthers, don't care for their look.

effzee

I'm pretty confident we won't draft a QB at 7 unless maybe Geno Smith falls there so I'm not worried. I expect we'll draft one in the second round, we'll see. Keim said we will draft a QB every year, that he believes that school of thought. Second or third round seems the right spot to take a flyer on these kids or at least they will be taken by second, one or two will hype their way into the first round I imagine as per usual. I really don't think we'll make that mistake, at least not if we stand pat at 7.

First of all I never criticized him for leaving CLE, I criticized him for running to another top player in the league. I didn't say it guaranteed a chip nor did I comment on what it takes to win one. It's not the actual teaming up with another superstar that I'm focusing on, but rather the mind set Lebron had when making his decision. It's a sign of cowardice and lack of competitiveness that didn't exist in any of the greats when they were playing in their prime as he is. I have absolutely no problem with Lebron leaving CLE, I felt he had the right to as they did a poor job of building around him and giving him a legit shot at a title. He just should have chosen another team and not have conspired with other top talent in advance to try and form voltron. Just the whole way it went down is despicable to me. There were other great options like Chicago that would have put him in a position to win a title, but wouldn't have been seen as cowardice.

Maybe some people hated him before hand, but it was microscopic before "The Decision" that's what really brought out the haters. I think it was a douche move but it's not what bothers me, the aforementioned reason is. I liked Lebron in CLE and I'm a Suns fan so I have no reason to be bitter. As an NBA fan, it disgusts me and plays a part in what I think is wrong with the current NBA. I also already felt Lebron had the tools and build to be GOAT but he was also soft, doesn't have the killer mentality that Jordan or Kobe (who I hate as a Suns fan but respect) do. If he had that mentality, was bitter over every loss, etc etc man,what a player he'd be with that mind set. As is, he's still the best current player in the league and I appreciate what it must have been like to live with all that pressure at such a young age. I just don't respect his career any longer or his decision.

You don't think if he went to Chicago to team up with D. Rose and possibly Bosh he would get the same criticism? Its still teaming up. Plus he could have received a max contract from Chicago and NYC. I get the feeling people would have been only happy if he stayed in Cleveland or went to another terrible franchise to try to build them up. The decision itself was terrible but no issue with him teaming up with D Wade and Bosh. They are mostly support players now anyway. Its Lebron's team.

On the Eagles front...

Rumors that they are either looking at Ravens LB coach Ted Monachino, Alabama DC Kirby Smart, or Georgia's DC Todd Grantham. No interest in Ryan thank god. Apparently Kelly wants Grantham because he knows how to stop a spread offense.

Monachino is supposedly the next up and coming defensive mind and the Ravens might not even grant any team permission to talk to him.

I don't know much about Grantham but I'd be happy with Monachino or Smart.

Talon

I still remember how the Ravens got screwed by a call after call in the second half against the Colts in 2004. The most notable one was the sideline interception that was called back.

Not my fault that every headline is "Flacco's Agent Says He Should Be Highest Paid QB"
It's not your fault you have one of best front office guys in football running your franchise either so why sweat a headline quote from a guy who's job it is to make his client the most amount of money possible?

Brings back memories of Giants fans when Eli was given a seven year 106 million dollar contract after winning Super Bowl 42. It made him the highest paid QB in the game at the time and there was just no way Eli would live up that contract according to vocal subset...

Either the Ravens believe they have their franchise QB or they don't. If they do, they're going to pay him accordingly....

XdcTNkR.png

Video board size is now the rich old man's version of e-peen.

You don't think if he went to Chicago to team up with D. Rose and possibly Bosh he would get the same criticism? Its still teaming up. Plus he could have received a max contract from Chicago and NYC. I get the feeling people would have been only happy if he stayed in Cleveland or went to another terrible franchise to try to build them up. The decision itself was terrible but no issue with him teaming up with D Wade and Bosh. They are mostly support players now anyway. Its Lebron's team.

On the Eagles front...

Rumors that they are either looking at Ravens LB coach Ted Monachino, Alabama DC Kirby Smart, or Georgia's DC Todd Grantham. No interest in Ryan thank god. Apparently Kelly wants Grantham because he knows how to stop a spread offense.

Monachino is supposedly the next up and coming defensive mind and the Ravens might not even grant any team permission to talk to him.

I don't know much about Grantham but I'd be happy with Monachino or Smart.
Absolutely not. Rose would not have been even remotely comparable to Wade for a team up. Chicago was the perfect balance of role players and talent for him to have a legit shot at a chip without the image of trying to do a super team up. Wade has massively regressed since Lebron joined and Lebron certainly is the man there, but we are talking about the time frame he was heading there. It's all about the decision he made (no pun intended). Who cares if he would have received max money in CHI or NY? Every mediocre player gets a max deal these days, Lebron would actually warrant big money. CLE fans would bitch he left for money but that would only be out of bitterness. Everyone knows he left because CLE failed miserably at adding talent around him. Just not everyone will admit it to themselves. Yeah, I suppose we've digressed from football enough, eh? haha

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's not your fault you have one of best front office guys in football running your franchise either so why sweat a headline quote from a guy who's job it is to make his client the most amount of money possible?

Brings back memories of Giants fans when Eli was given a seven year 106 million dollar contract after winning Super Bowl 42. It made him the highest paid QB in the game at the time and there was just no way Eli would live up that contract according to vocal subset...

Either the Ravens believe they have their franchise QB or they don't. If they do, they're going to pay him accordingly....

Exactly.

bionic77

No.Joe Webb has no business as an NFL QB.
I draw the line at not counting the Pats Superbowl victories (and definitely not their tainted and disgusting AFC Championship victories). Everything else counts in my book.

Even the garbage bowl champs from this year, it still counts.

Bowser

I would think that the Joe Flacco story would give hope to Falcon fans.

Flacco and Ryan are opposites IMO. Flacco is mostly mediocre, occasionally brilliant in the regular season, but ups his level of play in the postseason (taking into account the last two postseasons). Ryan is mostly brilliant, occasionally mediocre in the regular season, but never seems to be able to match his regular season play in the postseason.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Flacco and Ryan are opposites IMO. Flacco is mostly mediocre, occasionally brilliant in the regular season, but ups his level of play in the postseason (taking into account the last two postseasons). Ryan is mostly brilliant, occasionally mediocre in the regular season, but never seems to be able to match his regular season play in the postseason.

In terms of how they play, their stature and demeanor, they're pretty much the same guy. Maybe the unibrow gives Flacco added mana.

effzee

Absolutely not. Rose would not have been even remotely comparable to Wade for a team up. Chicago was the perfect balance of role players and talent for him to have a legit shot at a chip without the image of trying to do a super team up. Wade has massively regressed since Lebron joined and Lebron certainly is the man there, but we are talking about the time frame he was heading there. It's all about the decision he made (no pun intended). Who cares if he would have received max money in CHI or NY? Every mediocre player gets a max deal these days, Lebron would actually warrant big money. CLE fans would bitch he left for money but that would only be out of bitterness. Everyone knows he left because CLE failed miserably at adding talent around him. Just not everyone will admit it to themselves. Yeah, I suppose we've digressed from football enough, eh? haha

This thread is barely about football anyway.

D. Rose was MVP. Any time he is healthy and playing he will contend for the MVP. How would that not be similar to teaming up with Wade.

Besides Wade and Bosh the rest of Miami, especially when signed, was a bunch of role players and 3 point shooters. Chicago actually has a better group of role players when it comes to defense, rebounding, and just playing as a team.

More Eagles news:

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/eagles-contract-talks-dennis-dixon

Apparently they are in talks with Dixon, who is currently on the Ravens team. Don't know if he is going to be brought in for a starter role or just to provide depth as someone who knows and understands Kelly's offense. Doubt he comes in as a starter.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
In terms of how they play, their stature and demeanor, they're pretty much the same guy. Maybe the unibrow gives Flacco added mana.

I think Matt has a bit more vision and Flacco delivers the better deep ball. But they're pretty close. Except for Ryan seems to crumble under pressure and Flacco seems to thrive under it.

But, honestly, I may be overrating guys because of who Buffalo calls QB.

Matt Ryan is Peyton Manning?

squicken

Can't remember the exact number but heard it on the radio today. Since Eli's first SB run, the combined numbers of the SB winning QBs during their playoff run is like 45 TDs and 5 INTs

jakncoke

Banned
Todd Collins
Doug Flutie
Rob Johnson
Alex Van Pelt
Drew Bledsoe
Kelly Holcomb
JP Losman
Trent Edwards
Ryan Fitzpatrick

poor bills

effzee

I'd say Pats over Eagles in SB39, but now we know they cheated, so probably further back than that.

Since they cheated and the Eagles are the true champs and they were the #1 seed that year, it would still be SB39.

Also I wonder if Ravens will let Flacco go, through a trade, and then get into a fight with the Eagles over Dixon.

HE IS OUR OZZIE!

Top Bottom