• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Bowser

I said it earlier in the 2012 season, the 2013 Giants are going to look very different. I know some said he might stick but not at his price tag. Canty, I'm honestly surprised. I thought they might try to reduce his salary considering we are a bit thin at DT.

David Wilson and Andre Brown future. I'm good with this (though don't rule out Bradshaw being brought back at vet minimum).

Garafolo said Canty wasn't offered a pay cut before he was released. Really hope the Panthers can pick him up, would free us up to look at OT/WR in the first round.

Eh, since you're losing so many players on defense you really ought to think about dumping Eli's huge contract and testing out somebody like Freeman or Vick to fill the void while you rebuild.
:jnc

We could always tank for Clowney like Draxal wanted!

Bowser said:
Garafolo said Canty wasn't offered a pay cut before he was released. Really hope the Panthers can pick him up, would free us up to look at OT/WR in the first round.
Only concern would be injury but if you can grab him on the cheap, he's a good player.

Afrikan

Peter King@SI_PeterKing

22h From my timeline, I see that the Ravens committed 67 infractions in the game, only 2 of which were called

sad-smiley.gif

On the Eagles front:

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk

Eagles dump Demetress Bell, avoiding an $8.5 million roster bonus and $1 million base salary

Some cap update numbers for the Giants:

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN

I believe cutting DT Chris Canty saves the Giants $6.5M in cap space. With Bradshaw's $2.75M and Boley's $4.5M, total savings is $13.75M.

Ralph says there is one more cut coming today from the Giants according to his sources (again, I'm betting it's either Diehl or Webster)

effzee

On the Eagles front:

Good had really high hopes for him but he turned out to be worse than even some of the skeptics.

Really need Jason Peters to come back fully healthy. He almost immediately would improve our OLINE 10x. Would allow us some freedom to sign or draft other players.

DRose aint better than Wade get that shit out of here (All-time ranking-wise, of course current Rose is better than current Wade).

DRose > Wade at the time Lebron signed with the Heat. Not talking about all time rankings or their place in history. Just who was is the superior talent NOW. If you were starting a new team from scratch you pick Rose over Wade anyday everyday.

Striker

Bradshaw still plays hard, but he's going to be best used in some RBBC approach so he doesn't have so much wear and tear. He wore down fast through the season. They could have used Wilson, but oh well. Wilson-Brown future.

jakncoke

Banned
Seems Steelers will probably wait till June 1st to cut James Harrison to avoid being stuck with 4.93 million in dead money for 2013, if they wait till June it can split over 2013 and 2014.

Bradshaw and Stephen Jackson will both be available. Who would you rather have?
How's Jackson in pass protection? Honestly, Bradshaw just came off ANOTHER surgery on his foot and both his ankles are shot. If you bring him in, his primary use should be in pass protection as a back up. I can't overstate his pass pro skills enough.

This guy announced:

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina

Giants waived DT Martin Parker. That would be the third guy.
So yeah. I don't even know who the fuck that is.:jnc

Draxal

:jnc

We could always tank for Clowney like Draxal wanted!

Hey now, I admitted that was a pipe dream (and we had to stockpile picks for it too)! I just really don't see the Giants performing this well this year (especially the d). They're just losing too much talent, with nothing in the wings that I see stepping up (asides from maybe Ojomo), with too many holes to fill in the draft/fa

edit. Flaherty's love affair with Diehl is pretty baffling too.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
For what it's worth, hating "the decision" got me to follow basketball again if even casually. It's crazy that some people think he'll go back to Cleveland some day. Of course when he does that team will be stacked with lottery picks anyway.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Please God let them cut Diehl and Webster, I think it would be apparent by how many time those f***ers got beat this season

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Canty is a shocker, Bradshaw not so much.

Our cap hit is going to be roughy this year, and I'm nervous about our interior DL. We needed DTs before letting Canty walk.

Rolle needs to restructure, and so does Eli or we still have problems.

edit. Flaherty's love affair with Diehl is pretty baffling too.
I'd have no problem with Diehl staying on the roster as a back up. They need to reduce his cap number to do it though. They like his versatility in being able to play both tackle positions and kick in at guard if necessary. Also, they have NO DEPTH at OT right now except for Brewer.

I want him nowhere in the starting line up though.

Webster will likely stick if he wasn't cut today. I'm curious as to what Reese does with his contract cause his cap hit is ridiculous and I don't see the Giants paying him 9 million dollars to play corner the way he played it last season. One thing he has in his favor is that he's durable at least.

Eli has a 20 million cap hit this year. He'll get a nice portion converted to bonus again. Same for Rolle, yeah.

Draxal

Canty is a shocker, Bradshaw not so much.

Our cap hit is going to be roughy this year, and I'm nervous about our interior DL. We needed DTs before letting Canty walk.

I don't think Eli can as he did it last year, I think Baas is a prime candidate for reconstructure.

*Somebody has to bring up that Pat Traina article about reconstruring up and especially if they were just straight paycuts or extensions.

edit. I'm not down as Webster as the rest are others are, the Giants really thin at corner, and he was playing hurt the entire last year because their other corners are made out of tissue paper.

Draxal

I'd have no problem with Diehl staying on the roster as a back up. They need to reduce his cap number to do it though. They like his versatility in being able to play both tackle positions and kick in at guard if necessary. Also, they have NO DEPTH at OT right now except for Brewer.

I want him nowhere in the starting line up though.

What I thought was interesting last year is that the Giant's picked up a journeyman Washington Redksin o-line reject in Sean Locklear and he totally outplayed Diehl for the veteran min, shouldn't Reese be able to find another ot for the vet min?

David Diehl had a long storied career with the Giant's, and I don't think people should be bashing his entire career with the Giant's (athough I don't think he was ever great, he was good enough), but at this point he clearly doesn't have any tread on his tires left.

And Koets was one of the the versatile offensive line man that the Giants always drafted in the late rounds and not a lb iirc.

edit.

Some person on BBI is stating that Bradshaw and Canty will be resigned, I think Bradshaw definetely will (nobody else is going to offfer him) and I knew Canty has a significant community presence around the area (see Billboards plastered with his image around the stadium), so it's not out of the realm of possiblity.

DeOssie is now the only Class of 2007 Giant left.
Such an amazing draft, too.

1. Aaron Ross CB (held down corner for two Super Bowl teams)
2. Steve Smith WR (key player in the '07 run and holds the record for most catches by a Giants WR in one season)
3. Jay Alford DT (DAT Tom Brady Sack! I'd still consider it a miss though since he did nothing past that)
4. Zak DeOssie (starting long snapper to this day)
5. Kevin Boss (Key catch in Super Bowl 42, stepped up after Shockey went down and held down the TE position for years)
6. Adam Koets OT (the only other miss)
7. Michael Johnson S (played well during the '07 and '08 seasons when he took over a starting job....went to complete shit in '09)
7. Ahmad Bradshaw RB (from 7th rounder to starter. Key to the '07 runs and fiery presence in 2011)

Draxal said:
David Diehl had a long storied career with the Giant's, and I don't think people should be bashing his entire career with the Giant's (athough I don't think he was ever great, he was good enough), but at this point he clearly doesn't have any tread on his tires left.
I don't disagree but considering the lack of depth, I understand them holding onto him a little longer. Nothing says they won't cut him once FA starts.

BigAT

I feel like Alford was on the verge of big things, then tore his ACL and was done.

Big moves today by Reese. I have always wondered why Canty's name didn't come up more on the list of potential cuts. He's definitely played well at times, but I feel like his play and consistency never aligned with his big salary (see also: Rolle, Antrel). Then add in his health issues and he easily becomes someone that is on the chopping block I felt like even when he came back towards the end of last season, he didn't look near 100% and who knows what his knee is like. I don't know, maybe it's just because I have been forced to look at his dumb, huge contract the last two years in our Madden league (where I ended up cutting him both times).

cdyhybrid

Such an amazing draft, too.

1. Aaron Ross CB (held down corner for two Super Bowl teams)
2. Steve Smith WR (key player in the '07 run and holds the record for most catches by a Giants WR in one season)
3. Jay Alford DT (DAT Tom Brady Sack! I'd still consider it a miss though since he did nothing past that)
4. Zak DeOssie (starting long snapper to this day)
5. Kevin Boss (Key catch in Super Bowl 42, stepped up after Shockey went down and held down the TE position for years)
6. Adam Koets OT (the only other miss)
7. Michael Johnson S (played well during the '07 and '08 seasons when he took over a starting job....went to complete shit in '09)
7. Ahmad Bradshaw RB (from 7th rounder to starter. Key to the '07 runs and fiery presence in 2011)

I don't disagree but considering the lack of depth, I understand them holding onto him a little longer. Nothing says they won't cut him once FA starts.

I'd take that. If I was offered an entire draft class that would win 2 Super Bowls and then go to shit within 5 years of being drafted, I'd take it 100% of the time. And I'm sure most would.

Draxal

I'd take that. If I was offered an entire draft class that would win 2 Super Bowls and then go to shit within 5 years of being drafted, I'd take it 100% of the time. And I'm sure most would.

I'm with BIGAT, Alford was actually showing alot but he was ruined due to his ACL. The draft's long term was just ruined by injuries (Smith's injury sucked) The class was decent but in all honesty I'd take the 2010 class if we include UFAs. JPP/Joseph/Cruz is just an amazing haul.

cajunator

Banned
I tried to find a cannoli last week in rural Indiana. Fucking impossible.

It shouldnt be hard to find cannoli anywhere.

Lay off on the poor guy. Dude was born with a giant mole on his face and plays for a franchise that can't even keep the lights on during the Superbowl game.

Yeah, dammit.
Besides, who else on the Saints (except maybe Colston and PT) is worth their paycheck?
Brees IS the Saints. We are 200% fucked without him behind center. He literally is the only hope the team has to be successful.

Video board size is now the rich old man's version of e-peen.

Seems that way. Our video board is really small compared to some of the monstrosities.
Would like to see the board upgraded to around mid-pack though. The design of the dome doesnt allow for it to get a lot larger though.

Twitter says Bradshaw is being cut today

edit: these poors whining about always on games and no used games. I can't remember the last place I went that didn't have wifi. Guess they'll have to decide between anime figurines and their weirdo RPGs

These two definitely don't go together. Ive spent upwards of 150-200$ on a single figurine before depending on rarity of the item. You cant be a poor and afford to collect figures, unless they are those little cheap gashapon ones.
I think Ive spent about....probably close to 2000$ just on figurines.

JABEE

:(

I don't care if Peters comes back or not. That is a position the Eagles should look to improve when they have a chance. I don't know if Joeckel can play the other side. They could go with...

Peters-Mathis-Kelce-Herremans-Joeckel

He probably only plays LT though.

I'm with BIGAT, Alford was actually showing alot but he was ruined due to his ACL. The draft's long term was just ruined by injuries (Smith's injury sucked)
You can include Boss in that as well. The concussion history was a big reason why they didn't offer him more.

:(

I don't care if Peters comes back or not. That is a position the Eagles should look to improve when they have a chance. I don't know if Joeckel can play the other side. They could go with...

Peters-Mathis-Kelce-Herremans-Joeckel

He probably only plays LT though.

He might be there though so who knows.Maybe the Chiefs go QB.Jags probably go defense.Who knows what the Raiders do.

Draxal

You can include Boss in that as well. The concussion history was a big reason why they didn't offer him more.

I'm not sure if I'd put him in there, as his concussions weren't fluke injuries like Smith and Alford, he just took alot of abuse from the passes over the middle.

I honestly wanted to him retire in 2009, he just took the most vicious hits possible. I just consider him a short shelf life player like Bradshaw (how old is Bradshaw anyway 26? he seems like he was in the league forever).

Top Bottom