• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

JABEE

http://deadspin.com/5982236?utm_cam...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Jay Cutler proposed to Kristin Cavallari via text message: http://t.co/FY1qI5oq

Future Mrs. Cutler said:
It was so silly. I was in the airport, leaving Chicago. We had just spent however many days together and we were texting and somehow it came up, like, "Oh, shall we get married?" We're like, "Yeah, OK." And then he sent my ring in the mail. So I actually had my ring sitting at home for a couple of weeks before I put it on.

Wedding on E.

Jay Cutler is a romantic.

Dude what are you on? D. Rose at the time Lebron signed with Miami was already a MVP caliber player. Top 3 maybe not but def top 5 and most NBA fans would agree was playing at a higher level than Wade had played in years. D. Rose > Wade period. Lebron teaming up with Rose, possibly Bosh, with the likes of Deng and other role players on Chicago would be far more lethal than what they have in Miami.

And those old rivalries you keep bringing up? From a different era, from before FA, and those guys were part of dynasties where they already played with HOF players. Why would they leave?

I just find it weird. Mario Williams leaves Houston for money and only money. Lebron leaves Cleveland to win a championship. Who cares if its by teaming up with another great talent? That is how almost all teams ever win. Who cares if MJ wouldn't have done it? We don't even know if he was playing in todays game and was by himself on a terrible team if he would have left or not.
What are you on? No way in hell was Rose a top 5 player at that time and no way in hell was he better than Wade. Now? yes, Wade has massively regressed since Lebron has been there. I could give a shit who is MVP because it's almost always completely wrong.Too bad Rose is always injured, really like the kid. I'm speaking under the impression that Bosh doesn't go to CHI as well. Would Chicago be better than Miami? Unquestionably but that's not my point. You are arguing the point of a stacked team while I'm arguing the mind set Lebron had in making his decision. He chose to shack up with another top 3 talent at the time with an additional agreement that Bosh would come with the hopes of a super friend victory. The kind of conversations those three had to have, that they should combine their talents instead of going against each other bother me. If Lebron chose to be the final piece to make a solid team a contender like CHI, I would not only respect that, but have found it smart. Far smarter than going to Miami but that's relatively moot because Miami just won the big dance anyway.

mjc

Shit, is there any place online that has a recording of Driver's retirement ceremony? I missed it this morning and I can't find anything besides transcripts.

JABEE

Shit, is there any place online that has a recording of Driver's retirement ceremony? I missed it this morning and I can't find anything besides transcripts.
They have to wait for the film to develop at the local Wisconsin pharmacy. Still pictures should be available for pickup in 48 hours.

I'm not sure if I'd put him in there, as his concussions weren't fluke injuries like Smith and Alford, he just took alot of abuse from the passes over the middle.
Flukey or not, his history of concussions was part of the decision making process in the amount of money he was offered to remain a Giant and his market value in general. Oakland (stupidly) offered him big money and he left.

Bradshaw is 27. With the feet and ankles of 48 year old.;)

On the one hand, Steven Jackson is tempting because he's a proven RB that can make gains regardless of the OL quality. On the other...lots of wear on those tires. Squicken, how much gas in the tank do you think he has for a team like the Cards where the OL is suspect at the moment?

squicken

Sorry to ask about Bradhaw and Jackson and then disappear. SJAX has lost a step, and really was most valuable as a pass protector. He does catch out of the backfield, but he is not a threat of any kind. No big play ability at all running or receiving.

Offensive line was a mess all year, and it hurt him. Downhill runner that had to deal with traffic in backfield

squicken

On the one hand, Steven Jackson is tempting because he's a proven RB that can make gains regardless of the OL quality. On the other...lots of wear on those tires. Squicken, how much gas in the tank do you think he has for a team like the Cards where the OL is suspect at the moment?

No use to you. He can't make anyone miss. He will break tackles and get yards after contact, but very little. It's weird for a guy that big, but he's almost a 3rd down back. He's such a big guy that he can pick up LBs with ease.

It's really hard to say how good he is at making right read, or who to blame. Rams missed lots of blitzes, but it was a revolving door all year on OL. So you never knew who was screwing up. But when he saw it coming, he didn't let blitzers get through him

Think Canty is coming back?

Art Stapleton @art_stapleton

Always classy Chris Canty says on ESPN Radio he does not expect to come back to #NYG at reduced salary. Wishes team well.

Sjax is a fucking beast.
He's probably the kind of RB that the Saints need and consequently will never get.
Um, you have Mark Ingram that you do nothing with already. Ingram on a different team is a fucking beast.

Bold Prediction: Packers win it all next year.

We got this wrapped up yo.

First year under Jim, lose the NFC Championship.

Year two, lose in Super Bowl.

Year three, win it all and make millions of steelers fans kill themselves as they realize the better franchise has matched them and will soon eclipse them.

brentech

Nah. You have way too many question marks on defense.

Plus, Pack already had their NFC fluke win.
Sometimes it takes a few players, sometimes it just takes players manning up and playing right.
Most the talent is there. I would like a more physical safety. Could also use a bigger MLB I think. Hawk has never been a stand out but he's not the trash we make him out to be. But he really doesn't have a great build as a 3-4 LB

No use to you. He can't make anyone miss. He will break tackles and get yards after contact, but very little. It's weird for a guy that big, but he's almost a 3rd down back. He's such a big guy that he can pick up LBs with ease.

It's really hard to say how good he is at making right read, or who to blame. Rams missed lots of blitzes, but it was a revolving door all year on OL. So you never knew who was screwing up. But when he saw it coming, he didn't let blitzers get through him

Hmm we could really use a RB with pass protect skills but if SJax and Bradshaw want money and that's the only service they can really provide...no thanks.

You think so? Every time I see that guy I wonder if it's the Saints or him that's mediocre.
I do, yes. He was/is an excellent between the tackles runner. He's got a good frame, runs low and was a load to bring down at Alabama. He's got nice speed for his frame, impressive vision and he's being woefully underused in NO who happily plays the RB position by committee. Ingram would be a work horse on a team like the Niners, Bucs, etc. that put actual focus on the running game.

Rorschach

Flukey or not, his history of concussions was part of the decision making process in the amount of money he was offered to remain a Giant and his market value in general. Oakland (stupidly) offered him big money and he left.

Bradshaw is 27. With the feet and ankles of 48 year old.;)
He didn't get big money and he was barely used. He was picked up to save money because they didn't want to pay the awesomeness of Zach Miller.

He didn't get big money and he was barely used.
Big money for what he was at the time I should have said. 4 years at 16 million I think it was and Boss wasn't worth even that. I don't disagree on the reasoning with Miller moving on.

Wasn't his lack of use due to injury? I know he had ankle issues right out of the gate.

I do, yes. He was/is an excellent between the tackles runner. He's got a good frame, runs low and was a load to bring down at Alabama. He's got nice speed for his frame, impressive vision and he's being woefully underused in NO who happily plays the RB position by committee. Ingram would be a work horse on a team like the Niners, Bucs, etc. that put actual focus on the running game.

I suppose, but on the other hand we haven't seen anything with the carries he's been given. He hits the line and is brought down by minimal contact. Saints have no creativity in their run game, but Ivory manages to at least make some hay. I doubt he's much better than we've seen him.

Rorschach

Big money for what he was at the time I should have said. 4 years at 16 million I think it was and Boss wasn't worth even that. I don't disagree on the reasoning with Miller moving on.

Wasn't his lack of use due to injury? I know he had ankle issues right out of the gate.

No. He was perfectly healthy and wondering why Jackson wouldn't use him.

Sometimes it takes a few players, sometimes it just takes players manning up and playing right.
Most the talent is there. I would like a more physical safety. Could also use a bigger MLB I think. Hawk has never been a stand out but he's not the trash we make him out to be. But he really doesn't have a great build as a 3-4 LB

Is the talent there? I really don't think Pack fans are being honest with themselves.

Yay, snark.

The underlying point I was getting at is that he is being underused in New Orleans and he has the skill set to be a feature back. If you disagree that's fine. You asked.

Right, and i'm agreeing with you. I just don't think the Saints would go out of their way to bury a guy they picked in the first round not 3 years ago.

And you started it :p

cajunator

Banned
Think Canty is coming back?

Um, you have Mark Ingram that you do nothing with already. Ingram on a different team is a fucking beast.

You think so? Every time I see that guy I wonder if it's the Saints or him that's mediocre.

Its Ingram. PT does way more with him limited carries than Ingram has yet do.
Also Chris Ivory has no trouble making holes and running through people, except he's always injured.

Right, and i'm agreeing with you. I just don't think the Saints would go out of their way to bury a guy they picked in the first round not 3 years ago.

And you started it :p
I don't think so either. It's just how they view the position is all. I think you factor in motivation and the role the guy is playing and he hasn't done much with what he's gotten. I just don't see it as a fit and didn't when he was drafted either (even moreso in that they moved up to get him).

*comeatmebro.gif*

All the Alabama tape I watch always show a running back going through a gaping hole and right into the secondary. Difficult to judge.
Heh, that's actually fair but are we saying Eddie Lacey isn't a good prospect because of that as well?;)

Top Bottom