• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Exactly why the console space game pricing is unsustainable. As long as there is no "middle" in the console space (i.e massive hit or bust), those smaller mid-tier publishers will run to where they can make money. it's funny hearing console folks bitching about lack of original titles while they continue to buy Call Of Duty 14.

I think you and I are on different frequencies today. We seem to be saying the same things in a different way.

I was making the argument for the entire PS360/Wii generation that the market is being guided too heavily by the top 5% - EA, Activision, Rockstar and the like. If this no used game/always online thing comes to fruition, it will be directly because of this attitude.

I still haven't decided how Wii U fits into all of this, but I will say it now makes sense that the West has seemingly decided to freeze it out.

Talon

I think you and I are on different frequencies today. We seem to be saying the same things in a different way.

I was making the argument for the entire PS360/Wii generation that the market is being guided too heavily by the top 5% - EA, Activision, Rockstar and the like. If this no used game/always online thing comes to fruition, it will be directly because of this attitude.

I still haven't decided how Wii U fits into all of this, but I will say it now makes sense that the West has seemingly decided to freeze it out.
Meanwhile Steam, the Apple App Store, the Google Play Store welcomes everyone with wide open arms with no upfront fees - just 30% lopped off the top at the end.

Damn Bradshaw got cut, I know he has all the injury problems but I think he's still a great back and can play at a high level. I'd like to see someone like the packers pick him up.

If the browns got him to backup Trich I wouldn't kind throat either, but that probably won't happen
Edit: damn spell check

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Even if the video game console market crashes, I'm pretty sure Paradox will still make map games since they're not exposed to any of that. So that's an upside. Also at least half of the publishers on Steam aren't exposed to consoles in any real meaningful way outside of maybe as a PSN or Arcade title.

Japanese market has already crashed more or less so we've been feeling the effect of that for several years now. My absolute favorite non-PC games are made in Japan though so I wasn't kidding when I said I'd pay even up to 100 bucks for a new Tales or Yakuza 5. They're niche titles with a hardcore fanbase so I'd be fine if they were priced accordingly. Heck, just look at what happened to those Ni No Kuni limited editions being gobbled up greedily.

Spinluck

Damn Bradshaw got cut, I know he has all the injury problems but I think he's still a great back and can play at a high level. I'd like to see someone like the packers pick him up.

If the browns got him to backup Trich I wouldn't kind throat either, but that probably won't happen

I thought he was pretty good outside the injuries. Although, he had the Addai syndrome of always losing his footing.

effzee

I hear enough DRose is the greatest bullshit all over Chicago, do we really need it in the NFL thread? He hasn't done shit, regular season NBA is a joke so Idc about the Bulls and their amazing regular season statistics because that shit is practice in the NBA for any team with it's eyes on a ship.

Umm ok? That wasn't the point but ok.

Just meant had Lebron teamed up with D. Rose it would be the same thing to me as him teaming up with Wade. Both scenarios its two superstars MVP caliber players teaming up.

Right (and yeah I think we're somewhat arguing the same point), I just think there's going to be healthy consequence to the big publisher hubris if the console manufacturers play it right. EA for all of their pissing and moaning about Steam sales and "devaluation of their IP" have their own service running similar sales regularly (Origin). Their issue isn't the model, it's the fact that Steam owns a majority of the pie and isn't willing to cede ground to them.

I honestly think Sony is in a better position to do this being that the PSN has proven to be more "open" than XBL. The point Talon makes about Steam, Google etc. welcoming everyone is very apt and I think someone like Sony should run with it. I genuinely think they WANT a piece of that pie. They want their catalog diversified and in an effort to please the top 5%, it will speed along the move to all digital and let the little guy in at the same time.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic about it but I think at their deepest core, one of these companies understands that's where the market is moving and you cannot be short sighted enough to think standard $60 retail pricing is going to seamlessly work when gaming eventually becomes more digital. Not with the competition out there proving otherwise.

I'm not a fanboy of any system, dont even game that much. But I do own a WiiU, I know it's only year one but I better see some more 3rd party party support soon/E3

I think it depends on the 360/PS3. This next generation looks like it's being set up with 720/PS4 as the high end and PS360/Wii U as the lower cost options. Doubt they're going anywhere, and Wii U will probably see ports from those platforms. Don't think any top tier (western) devs are going to stick their neck out with top of the line titles though.
Right (and yeah I think we're somewhat arguing the same point), I just think there's going to be healthy consequence to the big publisher hubris if the console manufacturers play it right. EA for all of their pissing and moaning about Steam sales and "devaluation of their IP" have their own service running similar sales regularly (Origin). Their issue isn't the model, it's the fact that Steam owns a majority of the pie and isn't willing to cede ground to them.

I honestly think Sony is in a better position to do this being that the PSN has proven to be more "open" than XBL. The point Talon makes about Steam, Google etc. welcoming everyone is very apt and I think someone like Sony should run with it. I genuinely think they WANT a piece of that pie. They want their catalog diversified and in an effort to please the top 5%, it will speed along the move to all digital and let the little guy in at the same time.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic about it but I think at their deepest core, one of these companies understands that's where the market is moving and you cannot be short sighted enough to think standard $60 retail pricing is going to seamlessly work when gaming eventually becomes more digital. Not with the competition out there proving otherwise.

Funny, because i'm looking at it as glass half empty. I think one of these guys (specifically, MS) is going to think that their grip on gamers is going to facilitate an iron cast over the (North American) console space, which as of now in unimpeded by anyone who can challenge them; Sony is a step behind, Nintendo wants nothing to do with it, and SteamBox is a cloud of dust right now.

Either that, or MS will pull an Apple and position Durango as a catch all of which games are only a part like the iPhone.

I should be more clear in saying that's in a non-issue for me because there really is no such thing as a resell market for PC games anymore. Mainly because its hard to give a shit about getting money back when I'm buying games 25-35% off the base price right out of them gate with places like GMG and Steam sales available.

If that is the future of console games in purely digital form, I have no issue with it. The $60 console game needs to die.

There is no used sales market to fall back on in the PC space...what makes them offer a recently released game for 30% off on Steam? Remove the used sales market and detach yourself for traditional retail pricing where the publisher is seeing more direct money and you can do whatever the fuck you want with the pricing of your game.

This.

I finally picked up a gaming capable laptop a year ago and bought 40+ games via Steam for roughly $200. I've got a huge library of games to play, but the most I spent on any single game was probably $20.

My kids still play a ton of 360 and want games day 1, but I'm trying to wean them from that, especially when Amazon has a lot of these games available for $40 about a month or so after release.

And yes, the $60 game can go suck a big dick.

If you still have to pay for Xbox live, the next xbox probably wont be a option for me. Already have WiiU so I'll wait and see what Sony has to offer.

Talon

Is the online on Wii U any better than the Friendcode system they had? Is the Miiverse basically your friends list?

If you still have to pay for Xbox live, the next xbox probably wont be a option for me. Already have WiiU so I'll wait and see what Sony has to offer.
It's not just the pay for that's ridiculous. It's the inundation of fucking ads all over the dashboard that drives me insane. I can't blame them from a business perspective. It's a big time money generator but fuck if I'm paying $50 a year anymore to have my retinas burned with advertisements all over the place.

Oh and Netflix behind the XBL pay wall is the most hilariously stupid thing in the world.:jnc

Is the online on Wii U any better than the Friendcode system they had? Is the Miiverse basically your friends list?
It's much better yes. You have an actual friends list now and it shows what your friends are playing. They each have an actual Nintendo Network ID.

The Miiverse is the GAF of the Wii U if you will. It's a series of online communities dedicated to each game. Users can post thoughts on levels, bosses, take screenshots in game and post them, etc. You'll post using your Nintendo ID, but Miiverse is not your friends list.

jakncoke

Banned
Reading this thing about Bengals arrests. Andre Smith was carrying a loaded gun in Atlanta's Airport in Jan? What a dumb ass.

Leagues better. Night and day.

Only thing I think they need to get on right now is allowing USB headsets to plug into the console as opposed to just the pad.

It's much better yes. You have an actual friends list now and it shows what your friends are playing. They each have an actual Nintendo Network ID.

The Miiverse is the GAF of the Wii U if you will. It's a series of online communities dedicated to each game. Users can post thoughts on levels, bosses, take screenshots in game and post them, etc. You'll post using your Nintendo ID, but Miiverse is not your friends list.

You can friend people through it though. Honestly with Miiverse the friends list app is redundant.

It's not just the pay for that's ridiculous. It's the inundation of fucking ads all over the dashboard that drives me fucking insane. I can't blame them from a business perspective. It's a big time money generator but fuck if I'm paying $50 a year anymore to have my retinas burned with advertisements all over the place.

Oh and Netflix behind the XBL pay wall is the most hilariously stupid thing in the world.:jnc
Biggest reason I left xbox because they tried to make me pay for gold just to use netflix, I wasnt having it smh
I didn't really own a Wii had a 360 last Gen and I think the WiiU friend system is just fine, and MiiVerse is pretty awesome.
I play BlackOps with the gamepad

Talon

Reading this thing about Bengals arrests. Andre Smith was carrying a loaded gun in Atlanta's Airport in Jan? What a dumb ass.
People that get caught with weed, weapons, whatever at an airport are just so absurdly stupid that they're not worth anyone's time.

It's the one public place where you will 100% be searched.

Then again, this is the Andre Smith that drove to Bloomington, Indiana instead of Bloomington, Illinois when he was doing an event at Illinois State University.

You can friend people through it though. Honeslty with Miiverse the friends list app is redundant.
True. Forgot about that. I just hope the Spring update makes it so I don't have to go make a sandwich before the damn thing loads!

Funny, because i'm looking at it as glass half empty.
I can't believe it! ;)

Perhaps I'm overly optimistic but I try my hardest to not be overly cynical in regards to gaming. It saps the enjoyment out of the hobby for me and it's why there's a lot of angry people on the gaming side.

I can't believe it! ;)
I'm a ray of goddamn sunshine you fucking son of a bitch!

Perhaps I'm overly optimistic but I try my hardest to not be overly cynical in regards to gaming. It saps the enjoyment out of the hobby for me and it's why there's a lot of angry people on the gaming side.

I think Microsoft is trying to control this market and maximize their profits like they try with all others and you don't control anything by being nice. Plus, I wasn't just trolling earlier - console gamers really have proved that they'll put up with anything. They'll whine and bitch and moan the whole way, but they'll put up with it.

Rorschach

I dunno. Console gamers have been fucked over so many times that they'd probably be upset for a month or two and then go right back to buying their games.

You're giving them too much credit. No way they'd miss a launch. Not only will they take this ass reaming, they will justify it and defend the perp.

Hey Giants is Michael Boley worthy of picking up in FA?

Packers would need to renegotiate his contract but hey, I'm not opposed to it.

Sure as shit better than Wifebeater Walden.

Bradshaw interview on WFAN

Sad to see him go. Always been an excellent Giant and gave his all to the team. Glad to hear the door is open to bring him back cheaper. I want Wilson/Brown getting the bulk of the carries regardless but boy we'll miss him on 3rd downs.:(

Bucket, Boley is back up material at this point in his career IMO. Canty is the only one of the recently released players who will get real interest from teams. He'd fit as both a 3 technique in the 4-3 and he played 3-4 end in Dallas.

Well, sounds like next gen gaming can suck my balls. Just as well, I never got into this gen until about 3 years into it, which was a first for me. Though I will confess I found some games I really did enjoy. I'll wait to see the fallout before jumping into the next one too, if I do it at all.

jakncoke

Banned
This place called BurgerFi is coming up here, pretty small chain less than 50 country wide. If anyone has ever been there, wtf is a hipster dog? I looked on their site and nothing speaks of it.

re: next gen, for me it looks like: WiiU (already have it because I'm dumb), 3DS (don't use it enough, but it's pretty great), PC (Steam), wait and see on PS4/720.

I think gaming is in a very tenuous place right now, not because the industry is doomed, but because the market is fracturing. You have the iPhone/Android stuff, which is largely nonsense due to the lack of input options. You have PC, which is fracturing due to Apple, the Windows 8/9 store, and Valve potentially shifting focus to Linux. And you have consoles, which are trying to compete with the latter.

The always online/no used game route really feels like a desperate appeal to the AAA gaming model to stay on consoles because "our DRM is better than anyone else's DRM!". Nintendo on the other hand seems to be swinging in the other direction, going for "you will be able to make console games on a more reasonable budget", e.g. the B-budget titles that vanished with the 360/PS3.

It has the potential to end either really badly (like, 2nd videogame crash badly), or reasonably well. Hard to say right now.

Top Bottom