• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

JABEE

EAGLES FULL STAFF ANNOUNCED

Chip Kelly, Head Coach

Offensive Coaches

Pat Shurmur, Offensive Coordinator

Press Taylor, Offensive Quality Control

Bill Lazor, Quarterbacks

Jeff Stoutland, Offensive Line

Greg Austin, Assistant Offensive Line

Bob Bicknell, Wide Receivers

Duce Staley, Running Backs

Ted Williams, Tight Ends

Justin Peelle, Assistant Tight Ends

Josh Hingst, Strength And Conditioning

Shaun Huls, Sports Science Coordinator

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/n...sistants/8bb005f9-b6be-4a76-b8a0-9d4f5fb2228e

Defensive Coaches

Bill Davis, Defensive Coordinator

Jerry Azzinaro, Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line

Mike Dawson, Defensive Quality Control

John Lovett, Defensive Backs

Todd Lyght, Assistant Defensive Backs

Bill McGovern, Outside Linebackers

Rick Minter, Inside Linebackers

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/n...sistants/4507c0b3-c21e-432d-b91e-602b9cceb122

Special Teams Coaches

Dave Fipp, Special Teams Coordinator

Matthew Harper, Assistant Special Teams

It's finalized! What do you guys think?

mr2xxx

Banned
This. I'm not saying that Luck was decisively better and he has obvious issues that need to be worked on, but more was asked of him and he had to do more with less. Can't wait for next season, for all three QBs.

It's skewed because the run game contributed much more to drive success for WASH/SEA than with the Colts, regardless of whether or not it was included in that article.

I like Ballard and next season will be his chance to prove his worth, but I agree that the play of Wilson/RG3 makes it difficult to directly compare the run games.

Poor, poor Donald. I maintain that he'll beast somewhere else when he gets traded.

Like I said the run game was based upon the QBs skill set, they are not separate identities that can be examined in a vacum. You can't put a non mobile QB in that offense and have a top 10 run offense. While the Colts can get a much better RB and OL players their running game will never be as good as SF. Seattle or Wash.

squicken

The Big Lead had something that Alex Smith could command 2 #1s since that's what STL got for Trent Green way back when. No way. I'd say the high end for Alex is a 3rd. And I'd bet that there really won't be much of a market and they end up keeping him as a backup

Didn't know Todd Lyght was back in the league.

It's kind of weird to see players we watched make their way up the coaching ranks

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/08/panthers-reach-15-year-deal-with-charlotte/

Panthers to stay in Charlotte for 15 more years. Deal calls for $143.75M from city, $96.25M from Panthers and $62.5M from state. City would pay its portion with restaurant tax hike

Always stupid but less stupid than the recent rate

Loads better than the Vikings deal but I guess Carolina's stadium wasn't as much of a dump. Frankly all stadium deals need a very long "no move" clause built in.

brentech

Loads better than the Vikings deal but I guess Carolina's stadium wasn't as much of a dump. Frankly all stadium deals need a very long "no move" clause built in.
* and shouldn't cost the city money
It's what I hate most about sports. Private organizations that are super wealthy just taking more and more.

JABEE

Thoughts on the Eagles transitioning to the 3-4? I think it will not be a smooth transition in year one (or two even, maybe) if they end up going that route.

They will probably need to bring in a lot of new personnel. I wonder if DeMeco Ryans's struggles at ILB in the 3-4 with the Texans was his rustiness after his ruptured achilles tendon or his inability to play in the system. We will see.

It can only be a project. That's one of the reasons I'm happy we stayed a 3-4. Good, go for a defensive stud, Philly! Stay off of our franchise LT prospects!

bionic77

Yep, unfortunately I'm 20 minutes north of Scranton. The best spots in this area are the ones away from the towns, more rural or the Poconos region even. Because the majority of the towns are lands that time forgot and are mostly havens for NYC riff raff. The lone plus side is that housing and cost of living is much cheaper than say down towards Philly. My sis is down that way and is always crying about money.
I do see a lot of New Yorkers in the Poconos. Some of them commute. Sounds crazy to me.

You need to move out of the boonies Spectral. Even Philly and its suburbs are just ok. I miss DC but damn you need to be rich as fuck to live there and the traffic was torture.

Alchemy

* and shouldn't cost the city money
It's what I hate most about sports. Private organizations that are super wealthy just taking more and more.

Yup. These need to be treated as loans that organizations must repay. Public money for private businesses isn't good capitalism. Have any of these organizations ever at least tried providing income projections for the city before demanding cash, or is it always "But but but think of all the tourism!"?

JABEE

I wouldnt be surprised if they traded down a few spots and grabbed Millner. Their secondary is a total disaster.

Ugh. I've only seen a YouTube clips of Alabama's games but I don't know if I want to use the pick on a corner. I would rather improve the offensive line by adding a guy that should be a great player in this league for years to come at the most valued position in the league behind quarterback.

I haven't watched a lot of College Football, but that's my uninformed opinion as someone who just took a cursory glance over this year's potential top 5 picks.

Yeah Joeckel making it to 7 is a pipe dream. Squicken, where you at? What are your feelings on Fischer? Is he worth the 7th pick? Most people on the net seem to think so. I just don't like when a players stock soars from the bowl. No one was saying shit when Lewan and Matthews were thought to be coming out and Fischer had yet to impress at the senior bowl. I heard his name from a few Cards fans that watch a lot of college, but that's it.

Ugh. I've only seen a YouTube clips of Alabama's games but I don't know if I want to use the pick on a corner. I would rather improve the offensive line by adding a guy that should be a great player in this league for years to come at the most valued position in the league behind quarterback.

I haven't watched a lot of College Football, but that's my uninformed opinion as someone who just took a cursory glance over this year's potential top 5 picks.

The way the league is going you need physical corners that can mug WRs in the playoffs and Millner is very physical. I also hate the idea of drafting a guy that is good at one position and then making him move. Eagles already have a great LT.

JABEE

The way the league is going you need physical corners that can mug WRs in the playoffs and Millner is very physical. I also hate the idea of drafting a guy that is good at one position and then making him move. Eagles already have a great LT.

My fear is you passing up an All-Pro LT, because a player coming back from two ruptured Achilles injuries may return on time. Line play wins more games than corners. Corners and the importance of their role seems to be going down more and more in this offensive-focused league.

It's all about who can win in the trenches. If Kelly wants to run an offense that relies heavily on the screen game, Joeckel and his speed will come in handy if he develops into a great player.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Finley says he's 50/50 going to return to Green Bay.

If we're willing to pay him an absurd amount of money, I'd rather cut Finley and pay Jennings. At least if neither one takes a pay cut anyway....

cajunator

Banned
Im reading that thread about children not playing outdoors anymore and SMFH.
The scary thing is those super sheltered kids will grow up to become super sheltering parents and create even more dependent children who have to grow up in a fucking bubble.
I don't like where its going.

JABEE

If we're willing to pay him an absurd amount of money, I'd rather cut Finley and pay Jennings. At least if neither one takes a pay cut anyway....

Finley is a player that needs to retire a Packer.

jakncoke

Banned

If you guys give Finley money that'll be lol

squicken

Yeah Joeckel making it to 7 is a pipe dream. Squicken, where you at? What are your feelings on Fischer? Is he worth the 7th pick? Most people on the net seem to think so. I just don't like when a players stock soars from the bowl. No one was saying shit when Lewan and Matthews were thought to be coming out and Fischer had yet to impress at the senior bowl. I heard his name from a few Cards fans that watch a lot of college, but that's it.

He wasn't high on a single mock draft I read until the Senior Bowl. That could be that the draftniks just didn't have tape on him, or they are out of touch with scouts. But he did very well there, and it was the first time he got to work vs major college talent. It's a good draft for tackles so I think they can address it lots of ways and still come away happy

When it comes to OL I think you just have to trust the personnel guys. Everyone said the Texans reached on Duane Brown and he's one of if not the best LTs in the league. The only thing I ever worry about with linemen is weight/work ethic. Fat guys are going to be some of the first to give up when a team sucks, or just be happy to get paid. OL and DL are where the "football character" matters most imo

They will probably need to bring in a lot of new personnel. I wonder if DeMeco Ryans's struggles at ILB in the 3-4 with the Texans was his rustiness after his ruptured achilles tendon or his inability to play in the system. We will see.
I think you're pretty set at the line for the most part. Jenkins and Cox should both be anchors on that front at DE. Jenkins could play the nose as well but I think you need to bring someone in as he isn't getting any younger and I don't think you have another NT on your roster to play the two gap.

The more concerning aspect is your ends and who is going to be standing up.

Cole and Graham should operate fine as pure pass rushers in an OLB role though I'd be concerned if they are asked to cover some of these bigger tight ends or shiftier slot guys. Both are in the 265-270lb weight range, right? Curry has experience in the 3-4 if memory serves so it may be his time to get a bigger role.

Kendricks is speedy enough that he could thrive. The rest of your backers are generally shit outside of Ryans who was traded off from the Texans after they switched (not a good sign?). The Eagles still have fuck all for safeties last I checked which is another concern....

jergrah

I figured Sam Madison would do the same but I haven't heard from him much.

He is one of the hosts for The Finsiders Web/Radio show and still around the team a lot. But I agree, I thought he could make a good secondary coach. I used to think the same about OJ McDuffie helping with WRs.

He wasn't high on a single mock draft I read until the Senior Bowl. That could be that the draftniks just didn't have tape on him, or they are out of touch with scouts. But he did very well there, and it was the first time he got to work vs major college talent. It's a good draft for tackles so I think they can address it lots of ways and still come away happy

When it comes to OL I think you just have to trust the personnel guys. Everyone said the Texans reached on Duane Brown and he's one of if not the best LTs in the league. The only thing I ever worry about with linemen is weight/work ethic. Fat guys are going to be some of the first to give up when a team sucks, or just be happy to get paid. OL and DL are where the "football character" matters most imo

Well said. Fortunately, I trust Keim FAR more than Whiz and puppet Graves. I was excited the second I heard we were bringing Tom Moore on board but man, it was great hearing what he had to say. Arians and Moore are saying all the right things, now they just need to back words up with action. I love the energy Arians is exhibiting, I think he's ready to dive in head first.

squicken

Brees giant contact cost them Nicks last year, and may cost them Bushrod this year. That's the lesson for Ravens I think

Well said. Fortunately, I trust Keim FAR more than Whiz and puppet Graves. I was excited the second I heard we were bringing Tom Moore on board but man, it was great hearing what he had to say. Arians and Moore are saying all the right things, now they just need to back words up with action. I love the energy Arians is exhibiting, I think he's ready to dive in head first.

Arians got the team to play hard last year, but those were unique circumstances. AZ seemed to be coming apart at the end of the year. Seems like they could trim some of the problem guys there

Brees giant contact cost them Nicks last year, and may cost them Bushrod this year. That's the lesson for Ravens I think
Bushrod and Nicks don't make them contenders. Drew Brees does. I mentioned this earlier in relation to his contract but can the Ravens say the same of Flacco? That's the only determining factor on whether Ozzie gives him his big pay day or not. If they think he does, he's going to get paid and I don't blame them one bit for doing so.

Top Bottom