• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

jakncoke

Banned
Bushrod and Nicks don't make them contenders. Drew Brees does. I mentioned this earlier in relation to his contract but can the Ravens say the same of Flacco? That's the only determining factor on whether Ozzie gives him his big pay day or not. If they think he does, he's going to get paid and I don't blame them one bit for doing so.

If they dont have the money for defense thens what difference does having scarface as your qb?

If they dont have the money for defense thens what difference does having scarface as your qb?
When have the Saints ever had a dominant defense? The Saints have been built as a primarily offense oriented team for years. Get up big on your opponent and make it so that they can't catch up. Even when Gregg Williams was there, the defense was predicated on turnovers that put the ball in the offenses hands and put up insurmountable leads.

"Scarface" allows them to do that. Sean Payton's offense allows them to do that. All teams aren't built on the same philosophy. They don't need a dominant defense. They need an average one at best to do what they do.

squicken

When have the Saints ever had a dominant defense? The Saints have been built as a primarily offense oriented team for years. Get up big on your opponent and make it so that they can't catch up. Even when Gregg Williams was there, the defense was predicated on turnovers that put the ball in the offenses hands and put up insurmountable leads.

"Scarface" allows them to do that. Sean Payton's offense allows them to do that. All teams aren't built on the same philosophy. They don't need a dominant defense. They need an average one at best to do what they do.

I agree with you about Brees carrying the team, of course. But I think these high cap values elite QBs carry cost the team. Former pref guy took a look at the recent success of QBs in the SB wrt to age and other factors. Warning Bleacher Report

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...d-tom-brady-too-old-to-win-another-super-bowl

jakncoke

Banned

Pat Swilling days?

cajunator

Banned
Brees giant contact cost them Nicks last year, and may cost them Bushrod this year. That's the lesson for Ravens I think

Arians got the team to play hard last year, but those were unique circumstances. AZ seemed to be coming apart at the end of the year. Seems like they could trim some of the problem guys there

They replaced Nicks with Ben Grubbs. That wasnt the problem at all. the problem was the other side of the line and the defense. I dont really know why people think losing Nicks was the teams problem.

cajunator

Banned
Also I think Bushrod will be sought after but the Saints kind of have to sign him because he's the only thing keeping Brees upright. If they don,t it will be a problem, but they also have to cut al ot of defensive dead weight that is choking the team.

squicken

They replaced Nicks with Ben Grubbs. That wasnt the problem at all. the problem was the other side of the line and the defense. I dont really know why people think losing Nicks was the teams problem.

A dominant player on the OL lets you consistently slide and double team protections to weaker areas. It's of course hard to really know anything about you guys last year after your HC got busted, and having Spags on your staff. We'll see how the offense goes this year.

cajunator

Banned
A dominant player on the OL lets you consistently slide and double team protections to weaker areas. It's of course hard to really know anything about you guys last year after your HC got busted, and having Spags on your staff. We'll see how the offense goes this year.

That also. Payton was much better at creating plays that protect Brees. Everything this year was so vanilla. You could really tell that Payton wasnt there. It wasl ike watching a different team.

I agree with you about Brees carrying the team, of course. But I think these high cap values elite QBs carry cost the team.
Absolutely they do but it's a QB driven league. Arguments to the contrary are silly. You either have that franchise guy that can take you to the promise land or you don't.

So putting yourself in a GM's shoes - how do you know you have that guy? You (general you, not you specifically) can throw all of the rationale you want about leadership qualities, regular season statistics, regular season wins etc. and that's all well and good but the ultimate question always comes to this: "Can I win a Super Bowl with this guy?"

Joe Flacco just proved that the Ravens can and he didn't do it while being carried by an all world defense or an unstoppable running game, etc. The Ravens quite literally aren't hoisting that trophy without him elevating his game in that playoff run.

I'm not a Flacco fan. I gave my wife rafts of shit about him for years but he shut me up. At least for right now. Do I put him in the top echelon of QB's in the game? No but without question he played like one during the 2012 post season. Ozzie is going to either bet he can do that again and commit his franchise to him or he's not. Considering the dearth of QB's that have proven that they can win it all in the past 10 years (seriously it's the same guys!), I don't know how you convince yourself that you're going to let the guy walk or fuck around low balling him at a contract level.

The Cowboys and a few other teams that have had guys that have been around for a number of years are asking themselves that same question. Can they win a Super Bowl with him?

cajunator

Banned
Brees really is the only thing keeping the Saints relevant right now.
The recieving corp is spotty and variable. Theyre all good but none of them except maybe Jimmy Graham are superstars. The RBs are by committee. The Oline is always banged up and spotty. The entire defensive side of the ball needs an overhaul. Brees is really the only guy on the team that they cant do without.

Brees is really the only guy on the team that they cant do without.
Substitute Brees with any franchise QB's name and that statement is 100% applicable for those teams. Giants, Packers, Steelers, Broncos, etc. They lose that franchise guy and you might as well call it a season....

squicken

Oh I sort of laid out how I would do it. Let all the FAs walk and cut the higher dollar guys. Let Reed and Kruger go

OLB Terrell Suggs -- $13,020,000--cut
DT Haloti Ngata -- $11,500,000--keep
WR Anquan Boldin -- $7,531,250--restructure
OG Marshal Yanda -- $7,450,000--keep
RB Ray Rice -- $5,750,000--bye
CB Lardarius Webb -- $5,385,000--tough choice
OT Michael Oher -- $4,955,000--bye
WR Jacoby Jones -- $4,900,000--bye
FB Vonta Leach -- $4,333,334--gone
LB Jameel McClain -- $4,200,000--gone

Then you dump all of Flacco's salary that you can into year one and rebuild. The only way you can operate in my opinion. Can't carry around a consistent $20m hit on the same guy year after year

bionic77

They'll be fine.
Not sure about that. I actually think regular gaming is on the decline. And it will contine to slide. Less games. Less innovation. And more companies going out of business.

Won't mind being proven wrong though. But I think the next upgrade is going to be a hard sell for the casuals who are pretty happy with their iPads and Nexus tablets. Steam really makes console gaming look like a joke so that doesn't help either.

jakncoke

Banned
Oh I sort of laid out how I would do it. Let all the FAs walk and cut the higher dollar guys. Let Reed and Kruger go

OLB Terrell Suggs -- $13,020,000--cut
DT Haloti Ngata -- $11,500,000--keep
WR Anquan Boldin -- $7,531,250--restructure
OG Marshal Yanda -- $7,450,000--keep
RB Ray Rice -- $5,750,000--bye
CB Lardarius Webb -- $5,385,000--tough choice
OT Michael Oher -- $4,955,000--bye
WR Jacoby Jones -- $4,900,000--bye
FB Vonta Leach -- $4,333,334--gone
LB Jameel McClain -- $4,200,000--gone

Then you dump all of Flacco's salary that you can into year one and rebuild. The only way you can operate in my opinion. Can't carry around a consistent $20m hit on the same guy year after year

lololol you'd be a terrible GM.

xnipx

Lmaooooooo. Cut Suggs rice leach and jacoby?? You're out of you're fucking mind. Boldin Jones and Suggs will restructure. Leach may be gone. That's about it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Not sure about that. I actually think regular gaming is on the decline. And it will contine to slide. Less games. Less innovation. And more companies going out of business.

Won't mind being proven wrong though. But I think the next upgrade is going to be a hard sell for the casuals who are pretty happy with their iPads and Nexus tablets. Steam really makes console gaming look like a joke so that doesn't help either.

Development costs and game prices must come down. Unless its an established franchise with hardcore fans anyway, they need to get away from this 59.99 for everything business model. Also need to figure out a way to make games without using hundreds of employees since I assume that's what is driving cost.

There are so many other problems with gaming that I have no idea where to begin. Feels like the pricing models and game types are just horrid.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
kate-upton-cover.jpg

Suggs is on the decline. My only regret is I can't cut Ray

In Soviet Baltimore, you don't cut Ray, Ray cuts you!

JABEE

Is there any such thing as a "franchise" o-line position? I'm sure I read somewhere that O-line is where organizations cheap out first.

Most organizations pay their tackles a lot of money to do what they do. I think they are usually the second highest player on the team behind the QB.

Lmaooooooo. Cut Suggs rice leach and jacoby?? You're out of you're fucking mind. Boldin Jones and Suggs will restructure. Leach may be gone. That's about it.

squicken doesn't believe in loyalty.

Most organizations pay their tackles a lot of money to do what they do. I think they are usually the second highest player on the team behind the QB.

I neglected to add the word "anymore".

bionic77

Development costs and game prices must come down. Unless its an established franchise with hardcore fans anyway, they need to get away from this 59.99 for everything business model. Also need to figure out a way to make games without using hundreds of employees since I assume that's what is driving cost.

There are so many other problems with gaming that I have no idea where to begin. Feels like the pricing models and game types are just horrid.
I swear sometimes it seems like everything is fucked. In a few more years I will be like a dirty republican. Except instead of wishing it was 1955 I will be wishing for the 80s.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I swear sometimes it seems like everything is fucked. In a few more years I will be like a dirty republican. Except instead of wishing it was 1955 I will be wishing for the 80s.

At some point if it all crashes and we're left with casual games, there will still be a demand for regular traditional games and someone will provide the product. That's *after* a crash though...

In the meantime, I can't see PC not trucking along bit by bit but then again even PC sales are declining and AMD might fail so......neat.

Top Bottom