• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

The answer is there. Marino hasn't won a SB, so he's not elite. At football at least, he might be elite at impregnating women.
This is a really unexpected response, especially from a Patriots fan. :p

That is such a hard question. He was so great, I would dread any time the Eagles had to play him, but he also never won a SB and didnt seem to play as well in the playoffs for what ever reason. There really almost needs to be a separate category for guys that are all time greats but werent able to win a championship for what ever reason. Marino would be at the top of that list though.
I'd say he was but obviously I'm a little biased. The thing is, I don't think a SB win has to be a requirement for someone to be in the discussion because at the end of the day it's a team sport and one guy is never going to get it done by himself.

In Marino's lone SB appearance he was 29/50 for 318 with a TD and 2 picks. Not a beautiful stat-line by any means, but if your QB is throwing 50 times in a game that tells me that your running game is basically nonexistent. The leading rusher for the Dolphins in that game had 5 carries for 18 yards, and 16 of those came on 1 run! The Dolphins had 25 yards rushing total to SF's 211 (although, to be fair, 59 of those were Montana himself).

One game doesn't tell the whole story obviously but the point is Marino never really had a whole lot to work with in terms of WR's and he never had much help in the backfield either. At the end of the day I guess the only thing that matters to most people is he didn't win a SB, though.

Fox318

That is such a hard question. He was so great, I would dread any time the Eagles had to play him, but he also never won a SB and didnt seem to play as well in the playoffs for what ever reason. There really almost needs to be a separate category for guys that are all time greats but werent able to win a championship for what ever reason. Marino would be at the top of that list though.
I'm with you.

Marino ain't Elite. Fuck the fake knee.
Marino being elite is a hard question?

blizzard.gif.pagespeed.ce.JX_EWWK5xE.gif
Who keeps a fan on hand during the winter?

Would it be weird for them to sign him 'till he dies? 1 billion/lifetime deal seems about right.
Typically I'd advise against something that extreme but when you're dealing with this kind of greatness it's probably safest not to take any unnecessary risks. I mean, obviously the Jets are a circus right now and they love trying to throw anything they can at Sanchez to bring him down but any smart owner should be able to see where the real problems are. I think Joe Namath (the only elite QB in the history of the NFL, remember) said it best:

"I know he's gotten a bad shake. I don't think he's had the right kind of coaching," the Hall of Famer told ESPN's Mike & Mike in the Morning Wednesday. "I don't think he's had the right kind of help offensively. It's a team game."

Or, if I may paraphrase, "Mark Sanchez is the only QB besides me who has a chance of being called elite, so worry about everything besides him." Now I don't know about you but I'm not one to challenge the wisdom of the NFL's greatest QB of all time.

I'd say he was but obviously I'm a little biased. The thing is, I don't think a SB win has to be a requirement for someone to be in the discussion because at the end of the day it's a team sport and one guy is never going to get it done by himself.

In Marino's lone SB appearance he was 29/50 for 318 with a TD and 2 picks. Not a beautiful stat-line by any means, but if your QB is throwing 50 times in a game that tells me that your running game is basically nonexistent. The leading rusher for the Dolphins in that game had 5 carries for 18 yards, and 16 of those came on 1 run! The Dolphins had 25 yards rushing total to SF's 211 (although, to be fair, 59 of those were Montana himself).

One game doesn't tell the whole story obviously but the point is Marino never really had a whole lot to work with in terms of WR's and he never had much help in the backfield either. At the end of the day I guess the only thing that matters to most people is he didn't win a SB, though.

I thought that Marino had great WRs throughout his career. I remember Duper and Clayton both being really good. I guess it is hard to judge how much of that is the QB and how much the WR. I totally agree about the Fins never having a great running game while he was there though. Marion is one of the greatest QBs of all time, it is just when I think of elite QBs I think of guys like Montana and Eli that play even better in big games.

Fantomex

I thought that Marino had great WRs throughout his career. I remember Duper and Clayton both being really good. I guess it is hard to judge how much of that is the QB and how much the WR. I totally agree about the Fins never having a great running game while he was there though. Marion is one of the greatest QBs of all time, it is just when I think of elite QBs I think of guys like Montana and Eli that play even better in big games.

So in this case. Where are we gonna rank Hostetler and Dilfer?

Hey does anyone in this thread have FIOS? I just got a note on my door saying that Fios is now available in my area and I am thinking of switch up from comcast. I currently have phone, internet, and TV with Comcast. I am just worried that with Verizon being new to the area there might be outages and such while they get everything sorted out.

Draxal

Hey does anyone in this thread have FIOS? I just got a note on my door saying that Fios is now available in my area and I am thinking of switch up from comcast. I currently have phone, internet, and TV with Comcast. I am just worried that with Verizon being new to the area there might be outages and such while they get everything sorted out.

Do it now, Sandy knocked out all the power in North Jersey, but for some reason Fios was running (people were using generators).

Fox318

I wish I was the owner of the Jets.

When the Patriots came into town I would make it Camera day with everybody getting free camera when they enter the stadium.

squicken

The Browns have about $30 million in space and will be big spenders under new owner Jimmy Haslam and team president Joe Banner. Many in the Steelers organization believe Wallace will end up with their division rivals in Cleveland (Haslam was a former minority owner of the Steelers), and the Browns could make a play for a pass rusher like Kruger, too. Should Vick become available, he too could be in play -- this new regime badly wants to upgrade from former first-round pick Brandon Weeden -- otherwise Alex Smith might make sense, among others.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21676714/jets-cowboys-among-many-teams-in-sticky-cap-quandaries

Makes sense. Because of the fact that he is penis-challenged cuddling is all you can hope for from your system qb.

My question though is who leads when you guys dance?

Well, he's a born leader on and off the field and he's a natural in dancing. Problem is I can't dance, but maybe his presence alone will help me become great at it. Like when he turns average WRs into superstars.

New Carolina general manager Dave Gettleman inherited some significant issues as well, with his team about $19 million over the cap; Carolina projects even worse against the 2014 cap, and a year from now also serves as the first time Cam Newton can renegotiate his bargain rookie deal, which means tough decisions ahead for the Panthers. Corner Chris Gamble makes nearly $8 million, and offensive lineman Jordan Gross makes nearly $9 million -- expect restructurings if not at a cut there. It's hard to imagine DeAngelo Williams making another $5 million there given all of the running backs the Panthers are paying and his declining output, while in 2014 defensive end Charles Johnson and safety Charles Godfrey will account for nearly $15 million in base salary combined.

Thanks Hurney! (Although in Marty's defense, the Johnson and Williams deals came immediately after the lockout ended in that brief period where Richardson lost his everlasting damn mind)

jakncoke

Banned
Greg Rosenthal thinks its going to cost a lot to retain Keenan Lewis, I dont but it. I bet he gets a deal similar to what Ike Taylor got

Taylor and the Steelers came to agree on a 5 year extension worth $22.5 million dollars (with a $6.4 million signing bonusFurther, the contract is laced with incentives that could add to Taylor's new salary.

Wait, we actually made Wallace a 50 million offer? I didnt know there was any offers on the table. What a dummy

bionic77

Greg Rosenthal thinks its going to cost a lot to retain Keenan Lewis, I dont but it. I bet he gets a deal similar to what Ike Taylor got

Wait, we actually made Wallace a 50 million offer? I didnt know there was any offers on the table. What a dummy
Would Wallace really go to Cleveland for 5 more million to play without a real qb? That didn't work out well for Fitz...

Even if it happens I won't be too butthurt about it. We will have to replace him but he will be easier to replace than Brown. Though if we draft someone it takes at least until year 2 until they are worth a damn.

jakncoke

Banned
Would Wallace really go to Cleveland for 5 more million to play without a real qb? That didn't work out well for Fitz...

Even if it happens I won't be too butthurt about it. We will have to replace him but he will be easier to replace than Brown. Though if we draft someone it takes at least until year 2 until they are worth a damn.

We can pretty much draft a Al Davis type player and have him do the same thing, no?

Yeah, supposedly after he said no thanks, they turned around and made the deal with Brown. So the story goes anyway.

I won't lose sleep over it if he goes. They let Thigpen walk, Plax walk, shipped Holmes out on the fast boat, it's not new ground to them.

bionic77

We can pretty much draft a Al Davis type player and have him do the same thing, no?
It is not always that easy to find someone that can actually run a route and catch a ball. Fast players are easy to find though.

And it usually takes qb's and receivers until their 2nd year to really get to a level where they are dependable on every down. Pretty rare that a guy figures it all out in his first year. If we are going to draft a replacement then we need to get a guy in FA to replace him. I like Cotchery but I wonder if he can really stretch a defense. And the other young guy can stretch a defense but he always fumbles the fucking football.

JABEE

Don't do this man! You're the good Eagles fan!
Thanks Dutch. I do admit that I believe Tom Brady is elite, but I have to support YH and the spirit behind his claims.

You'd support Bin Laden if he rooted for the Flyers. Your vote doesn't count!!!
You don't believe in America! My vote counts. We believe in freedom in this country! This isn't some hippy dippy commune like you have up there in Bristol (New York).

I used to hate Tom Brady, but I've come to appreciate her. Even now, when's she's off her testosterone cycle and can't throw a ball further than ten yards, she's still been able to put up pretty good numbers.

I salute you, Tom Brady. The Best Quarterback* Ever.

*Female

Top Bottom