• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

mr2xxx

Banned
Haha a 5th? What is that the only pick you got this year?

IRG3 is done, everyone has different expectations for players returning from an ACL tear since the bionic man AP did it.

Naw we have more than that but not sure how much he is worth. He is an elite talent sure but If he was making up the migraine issues on top of everything else I'd be hesitant to give up anything big on him. Yes AP is a Bionic Man* as much as New England won its SB titles fair and square.

bionic77

There isn't a single team that could have won that would have proven you wrong, especially in your eyes. Gotta like those odds!

You know how it goes, a team isn't always the same on opening day as they are at the end of the season. Injuries happen, coaching changes happen (Cam Cameron could cripple even a team that you consider "good," should such a fabled team exist), and even the best teams have bad days. The Ravens didn't have a great regular season, it's true, but they were at least above average and they got hot and healthy when it mattered.
Its usually the garbo teams that do that.

I didn't think anyone was that good this year, the teams that were seen as "elite" by the experts included the Niners (who made the SB), the Pats (who I correctly said were fools gold and who proved me right), the Broncos (who actually were pretty impressive for the most part, but we all had doubts bout PeyPey's neck), the Giants for awhile (though they sucked dick in the last half of the year) Atlanta (who no one ever believes in), Houston (seemed legit for like the first month and then instead of winning a championship decided instead to go to the Hall of Frauds), and maybe Seattle (I actually thought they might have been the most talented team this year, especially at the end of the year).

Thinking back on it, at the end of the year Seattle was the only team that was balanced on offense and defense and they were a play or two away from getting to the championship game where they probably would have destroyed the Niners. I am going to retroactively knight them the best team from last season, but they were too green in the playoffs and came on just a little too late. Maybe next year.

I didn't think anyone was that good this year, the teams that were seen as "elite" by the experts included the Niners (who made the SB), the Pats (who I correctly said were fools gold and who proved me right), the Broncos (who actually were pretty impressive for the most part, but we all had doubts bout PeyPey's neck), the Giants for awhile (though they sucked dick in the last half of the year) Atlanta (who no one ever believes in), Houston (seemed legit for like the first month and then instead of winning a championship decided instead to go to the Hall of Frauds), and maybe Seattle (I actually thought they might have been the most talented team this year, especially at the end of the year).

Thinking back on it, at the end of the year Seattle was the only team that was balanced on offense and defense and they were a play or two away from getting to the championship game where they probably would have destroyed the Niners. I am going to retroactively knight them the best team from last season, but they were too green in the playoffs and came on just a little too late. Maybe next year.
I definitely see where you're coming from, I guess I just don't necessarily equate the lack of elite teams to across the board suckiness. All of these terms are relative and based on comparisons to other teams so it just doesn't make sense to say that everyone sucked. I know how much you and eznark love doing it though!

Anyway, no point in arguing about it. Seattle sucks though, they lost to the Dolphins. :p

Ænima

Meh. Real great teams don't play like shit in the first halves of games only to need to make a furious comeback later (See: the 49ers in the superbowl). That is fraud 101.

They should absolutely change their name to the Brows if they get Flacco

Pt8TTmp.jpg

Flacco would see what you did there, if he could see over that Unibrow.

bionic77

Ænima;47631717 said:
Meh. Real great teams don't play like shit in the first halves of games only to need to make a furious comeback later (See: the 49ers in the superbowl). That is fraud 101.
The Seahawks had some good excuses for their forgettable play early on. One it is not as easy to get a prescription for Adderall as one might thing, and two Wilson was a rookie and all rookie qb's struggle a bit coming into the league.

Next year is their best shot. They have to take advantage of it.

Speaking of next year, who is in the market for Mike Wallace? All I heard so far is the Browns. Aren't the Niners under the cap? They are desperate for a good wide receiver. Seems like a place that makes a lot of sense for him if they are willing to pay him what he wants.

The Seahawks had some good excuses for their forgettable play early on. One it is not as easy to get a prescription for Adderall as one might thing, and two Wilson was a rookie and all rookie qb's struggle a bit coming into the league.

Speaking of next year, who is in the market for Mike Wallace? All I heard so far is the Browns. Aren't the Niners under the cap? They are desperate for a good wide receiver. Seems like a place that makes a lot of sense for him if they are willing to pay him what he wants.

We don't have much money and we won't pay Wallace. We have enough playmakers on offense. We could use Wallace no doubt but not at his price. We need a decent # 2 though

bionic77

We don't have much money and we won't pay Wallace. We have enough playmakers on offense. We could use Wallace no doubt but not at his price. We need a decent # 2 though
You need another receiver badly. Isn't Crabtree the only option you guys have?

I wish we could fucking trade that bitch for a high draft pick.

Nori Chan

Sorry I was just citing the facts.

Like the fact that they lost to the Eagles, got blown out by the Texans, could not score a TD against the Chiefs, lost 4 out of their last 5 regular season games (including a loss to Charlie Batch AT HOME), and needed a miracle from Norv Turner to get the seed they got (if at least one of the Chargers could tackle the Ravens don't win their division). I mean Jesus they almost lost to the Browns, and probably should have.

To be fair I think every team from last year was garbage, the only difference is the amount of stench emanating from the team. Teams like the Steelers and Eagles were truly nauseating.

The Ravens proved me and eznark right that some team that was unremarkable in the regular season would get a low seed and bullshit their way to a title. Happened exactly the way we predicted.
so you're blaming us for the outcome to the Super Bowl?

PROGRESS

jergrah

Miami has already stated "unofficially" that they plan to meet with Wallace and Jennings at the open of FA.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a team like Cincy make a run at him though, they have tons of cap space and pairing him with Green would set Dalton up for quite awhile.

eznark

Banned
Miami has already stated "unofficially" that they plan to meet with Wallace and Jennings at the open of FA.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a team like Cincy make a run at him though, they have tons of cap space and pairing him with Green would set Dalton up for quite awhile.

Er, not really. They don't need another vertical threat. They need a big bodied possession receiver.

eznark

Banned
Wasnt/isnt that the roll they were hoping Sanu would fill?

Yeah. And I guess they hope he still will. Definitely don't need Wallace on that team. Especially with losing Andre Smith.

Bill Polian says Jennings is a b tier free agent who will only get a low dollar short term deal. Interesting.

jergrah

Right on - I def dont follow the Bengals all that close, just thought if they were going to be big spenders this offseason with so much cap space that I wouldnt be shocked if they made a run. But as you mentioned, they are losing their Tackle and I think also losing their starting DE (Johnson?) and cant cover LB Mauluga -- so certainly more important positions to fill than adding a speedy WR.

I have seen (from Miami based sites mostly) Cincy listed as 1 of 2 landing spots for Reggie Bush though, the other being Detroit.

Naw we have more than that but not sure how much he is worth. He is an elite talent sure but If he was making up the migraine issues on top of everything else I'd be hesitant to give up anything big on him. Yes AP is a Bionic Man* as much as New England won its SB titles fair and square.

How dare you sully APs name by mentioning him with those superbowls.

In reality if we don't get at least a 1st rounder or a couple 2nd rounders for him I will be amazed. He is 24 years old and is an incredible talent. He led the league in YAC, and I can't find the stats for drop percentage but I believe he led in that too. Combine that with being one of the best returners.

Striker

Ahmad Bradshaw interest in Giants and Jets:
"In playing with the Giants, they had mentioned that there was a chance for me to come back. I'm always up for that," Bradshaw told "NFL AM" on Tuesday. "Whatever, whoever needs me, whoever can use me. Whoever I feel that I can get a better chance of playing and helping which team. The New York Jets are a team that I've kinda been thinking about, just to stay home, not make a big move from New York. It's just right across the street from where I am now."
According to the New York Daily News, the Jets' response to Bradshaw's interest is simply: "Thanks, but no thanks."
ikBDjvL.gif

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'd immediately squicken to another team.

Why?

Romo would be the best Browns quarterback since what? Otto Graham?

And he doesn't even count if you're a Steelers fan!

The one free agent I hope the vikings target is Jairus Byrd, the thought of him paired with Harrison Smith makes me smile.

TT does one awesome free agent every so often and I'm hoping Jairus Byrd is that guy.

cdyhybrid

Why?

TT does one awesome free agent every so often and I'm hoping Jairus Byrd is that guy.

Seriously. Bagging on Romo is always fun but he's better than anyone they've had in a long time.

Which says more about the Browns than Romo.

squicken

How dare you sully APs name by mentioning him with those superbowls.

In reality if we don't get at least a 1st rounder or a couple 2nd rounders for him I will be amazed. He is 24 years old and is an incredible talent. He led the league in YAC, and I can't find the stats for drop percentage but I believe he led in that too. Combine that with being one of the best returners.

Sounds pretty fucking awesome. Why do you want to trade him?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Why?

Seriously. Bagging on Romo is always fun but he's better than anyone they've had in a long time.

Which says more about the Browns than Romo.

Yes because Tony Romo is worth 2 first round picks.

Riiiggghhhttt.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yes because Tony Romo is worth 2 first round picks.

Riiiggghhhttt.

I don't think you'll have to spend anywhere near that to get him.

Yeah Flacco is a better choice than Romo because Flacco doesn't break under pressure. Romo is generally superior in the regular season (I'd actually say Romo is the better quarterback in terms of ability) but Romo has a history of breaking in big games. He's actually great in the 4th quarter and I believe during 4th quarter comebacks but those few absolute "must have" games, he blunders it.

Either one would seriously be the best quarterback the Browns have had in decades.

List of Cleveland starting QBs

Top Bottom