• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Only thing is I kind of feel like I am running out of content. This is the type of game where I wish I could actually grind and just fight random battles.

What is so special about this Fire Emblem? Just a solid game or do they cleverly use the 3DS' hardware or what?

Dragon

Banned
What is so special about this Fire Emblem? Just a solid game or do they cleverly use the 3DS' hardware or what?

Giantbomb did a Quick Look which gave me more information than just a written review. I loved FF Tactics, Kartia and PS1 SRPGs but could never get into Disgaea or anything like that.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
All of the sports threads are in here, now. I don't have to venture into other non-insular portions of the forum anymore!

It makes no sense. They just promoted him and he knows all the players SF has been targeting. Why would SF let him go before FA and the draft?

Yeah I cant imagine what the 9ers are thinking with this. Supposedly the Eagles had tried to hire him last year but it didnt work out.

effzee

With a 34 year old Vick and Nick Foles at QB.

The Eagles are going places.

He is 32 right now and will be 33 during the season.

Not ancient age for QBs.

Great hire with Gamble!

Don't get how they blocked their assistants from being interviewed or hired by other teams but then allow Gamble to leave?

Is this a lateral move for Gamble? Eagles must have thrown tons of money at him.

Love him in the FO, makes me feel better about Howie.

Yeah I cant imagine what the 9ers are thinking with this. Supposedly the Eagles had tried to hire him last year but it didnt work out.
That Trent Baalke has proven himself to be an excellent general manager and a key architect in building their roster over the years? You hate to lose good people but its a consequence of having success.

Gamble seemingly made a lateral move to a rebuilding team where his family has history. The rebuilding part of that may have been more enticing...

He is 32 right now and will be 33 during the season.

Not ancient age for QBs.

Great hire with Gamble!

Don't get how they blocked their assistants from being interviewed or hired by other teams but then allow Gamble to leave?

Is this a lateral move for Gamble? Eagles must have thrown tons of money at him.

Love him in the FO, makes me feel better about Howie.

kas is so ridiculous he isnt even worth replying to. Vick is younger then Romo and almost the same age as Eli. It doesnt even matter though since he is a one year stop gap until Chip can get in the QB he wants.

I wonder if you cant block FO guys like you can block coaches, that is the only thing that makes sense. Gamble was with the team in the late 80's early 90's when they built that amazing defense, so hopefully he can help build up the D again.

effzee

That Trent Baalke has proven himself to be an excellent general manager and a key architect in building their roster over the years? You hate to lose good people but its a consequence of having success.

Gamble seemingly made a lateral move to a rebuilding team where his family has history.

Well according to the Eagles site he went from Director of Player Personnel with SF to VP of Personnel with the Eagles.

So it is a promotion.

Great move that makes me feel a little better after the Davis hire as DC.

They really need to hit it big with this draft and its reassuring to know someone who has worked to construct the 49ers, the Colts before that under Polian, the Ravens and their great D, and the Eagles in the mid 90s is going to be working directly with Howie.

EDIT: Off season going as well as it could considering what is available. Just wish we didn't have to settle for Davis and had gotten whoever they targeted first from either the Ravens or 49ers. Other than that, getting rid of Reid, hiring Chip, and improving the FO makes for a great off season so far. If somehow they get Jockel at #4 they will have gone a long way towards turning this mess around.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
kas is so ridiculous he isnt even worth replying to. Vick is younger then Romo and almost the same age as Eli. It doesnt even matter though since he is a one year stop gap until Chip can get in the QB he wants.

I wonder if you cant block FO guys like you can block coaches, that is the only thing that makes sense. Gamble was with the team in the late 80's early 90's when they built that amazing defense, so hopefully he can help build up the D again.

Stay mad.

Have fun putting your faith in a 33 year old, injury prone, mobile QB.

Who cares about Vicks age compared to Romo or Eli, when he doesn't have the same winning percentage as them and can't even stay on the field due to injuries.

effzee

Stay mad.

Have fun putting you're faith in a 33 year old, injury prone, mobile QB.

Who cares about Vicks age compared to Romo or Eli, when he doesn't have the same winning percentage as them and can't even stay on the field due to injuries.

You are a Lions fan.

Why do you talk so much?

Do you even understand football? Vick isn't the future or the franchise QB. Just the best option for 1 season until Kelly gets his style implemented and picks his own QB in the draft (either this year or next season).

Please try to keep up.

Levyne

Banned
What is wrong with the wii version? I still have it just never played it :/

It's kind of obtuse. You have different parties that split up and do different things in different places, then when they join up many people are way overleveled compared to others, then the merged party splits 3 ways again. I think the roster is way too large yet at the same time there are severe availability balance issues. By that I mean you find yourselfs using the same units every playthrough despite having 70+ characters..

Plus it followed up Path of Radiance aka best game ever.

Ok, maybe only the best srpg published by nintendo

WedgeX

Banned
You are a Lions fan.

Why do you talk so much?

Do you even understand football? Vick isn't the future or the franchise QB. Just the best option for 1 season until Kelly gets his style implemented and picks his own QB in the draft (either this year or next season).

Please try to keep up.

How dare lions fans talk in the nfl thread! The nerve! Scoundrels, all of 'em.

Well according to the Eagles site he went from Director of Player Personnel with SF to VP of Personnel with the Eagles.

So it is a promotion.

I mean tomato/tomatoe on that one. Depends on how your front office is built as to whether the title change means anything significant or not. For comparisons sake the Giants have no such things as VP of Player Personnel. They have a Director of Pro Personnel which was recently vacated by Gettleman moving to the Panthers. The next level up would be assistant General Manager which may be the role Gamble is going to be playing for Philly. That's my own conjecture in not being overly familiar with the Eagles FO setup.

Not to say it's a bad thing for Gamble as its obvious he wanted a GM job and didn't get it but I would imagine the Eagles being a good rebuilding opportunity for him was the "carrot" that got him interested...

Stay mad.

Says the guy who is thrilled at the possibility of signing Reggie Bush and calls Matthew Stafford elite. :p

Stay mad.

Yeah they should pay someone like stafford 20 million instead..... lol

eznark

Banned
It's kind of obtuse. You have different parties that split up and do different things in different places, then when they join up many people are way overleveled compared to others, then the merged party splits 3 ways again. I think the roster is way too large yet at the same time there are severe availability balance issues. By that I mean you find yourselfs using the same units every playthrough despite having 70+ characters..

Plus it followed up Path of Radiance aka best game ever.

Ok, maybe only the best srpg published by nintendo

Honestly I just thought it played way too slow. The pacing of the game is great for a handheld but on a console it kind of wore after awhile.

effzee

I mean tomato/tomatoe on that one. Depends on how your front office is built as to whether the title change means anything significant or not. For comparisons sake the Giants have no such things as VP of Player Personnel. They have a Director of Pro Personnel which was recently vacated by Gettleman moving to the Panthers. The next level up would be assistant General Manager which may be the role Gamble is going to be playing for Philly. That's my own conjecture in not being overly familiar with the Eagles FO setup.

Not to say it's a bad thing for Gamble as its obvious he wanted a GM job and didn't get it but I would imagine the Eagles being a good rebuilding opportunity for him was the "carrot" that got him interested...

Plus he is from the area and apparently they tried to pry him away last off season but couldn't do it.

Either way great move.

Stay mad.

LOL you really dont know anything. It is sad seeing you do this to yourself. Career winning percentage, Eli: 0.578, Romo: 0.591, Vick: 0.559,

Fatford: 0.378 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

bionic77

Nothing clever about 3DS. The game is just incredibly addictive and fun to play.

It is nowhere near as complicated or deep as a FFT or Ogre Tactics. In fact the gameplay is basically rock, paper, scissors with with some stats/rules on terrain, strike rate, damage, etc. But it has just enough depth so that things get really interesting and heated in the later battles. And the big thing about the game is that if your units die then they are gone forever. You have to balance that against trying to level up and promote the weakest and shittiest characters (who often turn out to be Gods later on in the game if used correctly).

I am probably not explaining it very well. Take my word for it though that this is one of the best series I have ever played. Even a shitty entrance in the series (the DS version in particular) is better than almost anything else you will play. And a good FE game is something that will capture your attention like very few single player titles can.

bionic77

Honestly I just thought it played way too slow. The pacing of the game is great for a handheld but on a console it kind of wore after awhile.
Handhelds in general are just superior for anything that does not have a ton of visual detail (i.e. like a sports game, fps, etc.). And the speed with which Nintendo handhelds load up from sleep makes it even better than a console.

I caution playing a game like FE on the toilet though. That shit will stretch your asshole out from staying there too long. Stay safe and play on the couch, in the office, or in bed.

eznark

Banned
Handhelds in general are just superior for anything that does not have a ton of visual detail (i.e. like a sports game, fps, etc.). And the speed with which Nintendo handhelds load up from sleep makes it even better than a console.

I caution playing a game like FE on the toilet though. That shit will stretch your asshole out from staying there too long. Stay safe and play on the couch, in the office, or in bed.

I'm pretty sure the DS Advance Wars game gave me hemorrhoids.

brentech

I need to finish AC:Liberation, burn through that shit and sell it off. All this tactical game talk needs me to jump into FFT on Vita.

Top Bottom