• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Kave man is our version of Gronk, someone shop a sorry for partying tank on him

7n3HmmV.jpg

I was gonna do the arms, but I don't wanna.

Well, I suppose it always was your destiny.

It must be, I was born without a shirt on.

Dragon

Banned
I am a proud member of that defense force.

I tried to follow in his footsteps and take the money of NeoGAF fools to pay for some of my luxuries. Apparently I did not hate on Nintendo enough or whatever the fuck he did to make him popular among you. But I will learn, and day, hopefully not too far off from today, I will be driving a brand new Black M3.

Nintendo sucks and I'll agree with that drug addicted person on that front!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I am a proud member of that defense force.

I tried to follow in his footsteps and take the money of NeoGAF fools to pay for some of my luxuries. Apparently I did not hate on Nintendo enough or whatever the fuck he did to make him popular among you. But I will learn, and day, hopefully not too far off from today, I will be driving a brand new Black M3.

You're already a lawyer bionic....does your nefariousness know no bounds?

I never found out that the mom donation was a hoax...how was he not perma'd? Didn't EviLore in particular donate a decent amount?

It's sad when you're eager for the Combine to hit...I need interesting football news!

I never found out that the mom donation was a hoax...how was he not perma'd? Didn't EviLore in particular donate a decent amount?

See what you are not understanding is that he did use the donation money for his mom, and that just happened to free up his own money so that he could spend over $1000 on heroin, cocaine, pills, and weed. You should find the thread where he explains it. It is amazing how many people stick up for what he did.

Edit: holy fuck at the Luigi-U news. It looks so good. Hopefully it wont be to expensive.

eznark

Banned
Craziness. It's well put together fantasy. At least you've read it before shitting on it though!

I read the first two when they first came out. I was in middle school so I can't say I have perfect memory of them but they sure didn't stick out as anything other than pulpy pappy rote fantasy.

Dragon

Banned
I read the first two when they first came out. I was in middle school so I can't say I have perfect memory of them but they sure didn't stick out as anything other than pulpy pappy rote fantasy.

I guess I assumed since you mentioned elves that you had no clue what you're talking about. I also can't believe you're younger than me. Crazy.

Repetitive. Non-imaginative. Derivative. Uninteresting characters. I'm sure I could think of more, but it's been a decade or so.

I'd agree on the repetitive front, but there are a bunch of characters that I felt were interesting. Don't really see how it's derivative unless you consider taking from Arthurian/Norse myth for some archetypes.

The magic system itself is pretty damn awesome once they get into it, not sure either one of you got that far though really.

Hey guys my QB brother came down with a serious case of Superbowl MVP mega cancer. It would mean the world to me if you could donate some money to help pay for his contract anti-tumor medicine. Any extra money will be used towards laser eyebrow hair removal........laser eyebrow hair removal.

Dragon

Banned
Elves and wizards is my sneering derisive tone for all shitty fantasy.

Makes sense. I take things too literally most of the time.

Just curious, what do you consider good fantasy?

So I can hopefully shit on it since you shat on my fav :(

Song of Ice and Fire is where it's at. Haven't been able to put ADWD down since I got about 1/3 the way into it. Under 200 pages to go. I have a terrible feeling he's gonna leave some big cliffhangers and I'm gonna hate this wait, there's just not enough pages left..

Dragon

Banned
Song of Ice and Fire is where it's at. Haven't been able to put ADWD down since I got about 1/3 the way into it. Under 200 pages to go. I have a terrible feeling he's gonna leave some big cliffhangers and I'm gonna hate this wait, there's just not enough pages left..

I think aSoIaF is pretty damn good. I have a major problem with some of his characters though. If he would kill off Danys I would have no issues. She's more annoying than all the female characters in WoT by far.

eznark

Banned
Makes sense. I take things too literally most of the time.

Just curious, what do you consider good fantasy?

So I can hopefully shit on it since you shat on my fav :(

Sadly, almost nothing. I like bits and pieces of stuff. I really love the world of Martin but his writing is abysmal. The characters in The First Law are pretty cool and the writing I like at times but it's overall a lazy effort by a poor author. Uh, the first Rothfuss book was excellent but the second was in the bottom 5% of books I have ever read in my lifetime.

I guess the most consistent fantasy writer that I enjoy is Naomi Klein. Hard to fit so much uproarious humor in with all that fantasy.

Oh, I like the Discworld stuff but by no means would I call it "good"

Sadly, almost nothing. I like bits and pieces of stuff. I really love the world of Martin but his writing is abysmal. The characters in The First Law are pretty cool and the writing I like at times but it's overall a lazy effort by a poor author. Uh, the first Rothfuss book was excellent but the second was in the bottom 5% of books I have ever read in my lifetime.

I guess the most consistent fantasy writer that I enjoy is Naomi Klein. Hard to fit so much uproarious humor in with all that fantasy.

Long story short, eznark hates everything.

bionic77

I think aSoIaF is pretty damn good. I have a major problem with some of his characters though. If he would kill off Danys I would have no issues. She's more annoying than all the female characters in WoT by far.
It seems like the story is about her though. That would be like killing off Rand during one of his emo rants in the WoT.

Who the fuck knows where Martin is taking that series. I like the action and the surprises in it, but after 4 or 5 books I still have no idea what he intends to do with the series and who the protagonist and antagonists are. Everytime I think I know who it is he kills that person off in the most cruel and unusual way possible and then springs two more characters in their place.

Draxal

I don't mind Wheel of Time, and Rand/Mat are decent characters, but RWJ suffers from verbal diarrhea, and it's really hard to distinguish between the 2 billion aes sedia that show up.

ASOIAF, well let's just say GRRM is a Jets/Giants fan at the same and must be burned at the stake, his middle books suffer from RWJ"s word bloat as well.

Rothfuss was ugh, first book was fine, second book when he was stuck in the fairy land for a year was complete garbage.

Guy Gavriel Kay is my pick for best author, but he's not for everyone, but he actually has strong prose for a spec fiction writer, which is extremely rare.

It seems like the story is about her though. That would be like killing off Rand during one of his emo rants in the WoT.

Who the fuck knows where Martin is taking that series. I like the action and the surprises in it, but after 4 or 5 books I still have no idea what he intends to do with the series and who the protagonist and antagonists are. Everytime I think I know who it is he kills that person off in the most cruel and unusual way possible and then springs two more characters in their place.

Jon's still the main protaganist of the series despite what happened in the last book.

bionic77

You're already a lawyer bionic....does your nefariousness know no bounds?
Hey I was just following the blueprint others gave me. If you fools are dumb enough to pay for his drugs and believe whatever sob story is throw at you then why not just be upfront and see you are going to pay for a new ride for me. If it will help you part with your money just pretend it will be used for the medical bills of a close relative.

Nintendo sucks and I'll agree with that drug addicted person on that front!
I would expect a Pats fan to say that.

You guys have no taste.

I don't know how you can play Fire Emblem or Mario Galaxy and make that statement.

eznark

Banned
Guy Gavriel Kay is my pick for best author, but he's not for everyone, but he actually has strong prose for a spec fiction writer, which is extremely rare.

Never heard of him but I'll check it out. I don't read a ton of fantasy but his style sounds interesting. Historical fantasty fiction should at the very least be hilarious.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I recently started reading Scott Bakker's books. Not bad. Not amazing, either. Definitely rushing some of the sequels. I think I read that he spent a decade perfecting his first book and now he's going Stephen King and pumping out books.

I also have The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss on my backlog. Supposed to be really good.

Draxal

Never heard of him but I'll check it out. I don't read a ton of fantasy but his style sounds interesting. Historical fantasty fiction should at the very least be hilarious.

I would ignore his first trilogy which people consider to be his weakest work.

I haven't read many of newer stuff but I think people consider this his finest three.

Tigana - Basically Renaissance Italy under foreign powers (It's a very fun book, but there is one character that is extremely love or hate)
Lions of Al Rassan - El Cid in Spain
Song for Arbonne - North vs Southern France.

He absolutely researches the stuff (he lived in France during this time), so the detail is there.

squicken

Won't matter when Vick misses his usual 4-5 games in 2013.

The Dixon deal is a two year contract by the way.

Read something that Vick has fumbled 9+ times in every season he has started 10+ games. Also, probably means they will try and move Foles. Twitter says Reid really likes Foles so we'll see

Read something that Vick has fumbled 9+ times in every season he has started 10+ games. Also, probably means they will try and move Foles. Twitter says Reid really likes Foles so we'll see
What I don't understand about Vick is that during his entire career (college included) he has always done a horrible job of protecting the ball from a fundamental standpoint. He holds the ball in one hand far away from his body all the time. It's like watching a typical cornerback running after an INT and it seems like something that should be easily correctable. It wouldn't negate all of those fumbles but it sure wouldn't hurt anything. But, for one reason or another he has always just refused to change.

Dragon

Banned
I would ignore his first trilogy which people consider to be his weakest work.

I haven't read many of newer stuff but I think people consider this his finest three.

Tigana - Basically Renaissance Italy under foreign powers (It's a very fun book, but there is one character that is extremely love or hate)
Lions of Al Rassan - El Cid in Spain
Song for Arbonne - North vs Southern France.

He absolutely researches the stuff (he lived in France during this time), so the detail is there.

I'll agree with this man about Kay. His prose is at least better than the rest of the dreck, even if he can get a bit melodramatic. Nothing beats the ending of Tigana for me.

Striker

So, Eagles officially signed Dennis Dixon. Whether this means Eagles aren't looking to draft a QB early or not, the fact some people (read: some Giant fans on another board) are putting this out to be some super hire is really goofy.

Ænima

This just like when Spurrier signed those shitty Florida QBs that couldn't hack it in the NFL. Everything about Kelly screams Spurrier 2.0 to me.

effzee

What I don't understand about Vick is that during his entire career (college included) he has always done a horrible job of protecting the ball from a fundamental standpoint. He holds the ball in one hand far away from his body all the time. It's like watching a typical cornerback running after an INT and it seems like something that should be easily correctable. It wouldn't negate all of those fumbles but it sure wouldn't hurt anything. But, for one reason or another he has always just refused to change.

Add that to his inability to slide properly or at all.

Problem is from all accounts since he became an Eagle not only has he worked on ball security, sliding, and just overall being a more complete QB, it doesn't translate to the football field. Everyone says he comes in eary stays late. Studying film for the first time because he never did it in ATL. All the good stuff but once the game starts he automatically reverts to just how he knows to play. Its instinct for him. It sucks but at this point of his career/age don't think its going to get any better.

Good signing on Dixon. Don't know what this means for Foles but Trent Edwards is definitely gone. Even if Dixon doesn't see the field once as an Eagle at least he knows the system, the way Chip wants to run things in practice and in the locker room, and should be good insurance in case of injuries.

Bills update:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-veteran-defensive-purge-cut-terrence-mcgee/

The Bills continued shuffling out veteran defensive players, cutting cornerback Terrence McGee.

The team announced the move Thursday, after cutting linebacker Nick Barnett and safety George Wilson earlier this week.

“Terrence has been a contributor to the Bills organization for 10 years and we thank him for his efforts on the field and off,” general manager Buddy Nix said. “We wish him the best of luck in the future.”

effzee

Reid better like Foles. Wasted another draft pick there after the Kolb debacle.

I can see them making a move for him since there is no way he picks a QB from this class in the first round. I could also see him show no interest because he knows deep down the kid is just ok and nothing more. Wouldn't be the first time. When they were busy pushing McNabb out the door all we heard from Reid was how amazing Kolb was and how many championships he was going to bring to Philly. 3 games into the season he was benched for Vick.

Ænima;47725448 said:
This just like when Spurrier signed those shitty Florida QBs that couldn't hack it in the NFL. Everything about Kelly screams Spurrier 2.0 to me.

Other than the fact that he is a college coach with his first NFL job I don't see the similarity at all. Variations of his offense and temp are already employed in the league with great success. And he only signed Dixon. Just listening to him talk he at least seems smart and a man with a plan.

Top Bottom