• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Godslay

Banned
If the 55K units sold in January holds it sold worse than the Dreamcast.

Sega vindicated bitches! The DC was so damn awesome!

Wii U will be fine. Software drives sales, once the games come it will sell fine. A price drop certainly wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it would help that much at the moment without some killer apps.

The DC was awesome though. I played so much PSO on that damn system.

When i first got my Dreamcast I wanted Marvel vs Capcom 2 so bad.I finally found it at a video store for sale but when I got home it was the 1st MvC.

fuuuuuuuuuu

Kevtones

All I'm saying is that Dixon played one season in an offense tailored to his strengths and he almost won the Heisman.

He was 2-1 in his Pittsburgh starts and got held in check by Arians' play-calling. No guarantees but the guy thrived under Chip last-go-round.

Godslay

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PufS2i6PoKQ

Damn randy Moss in the NFL 2K commercial.

I remember that commercial. The Sega Sports Dreamcast was pretty sweet as well. I had the white one, but always wanted that black one.

When i first got my Dreamcast I wanted Marvel vs Capcom 2 so bad.I finally found it at a video store for sale but when I got home it was the 1st MvC.

fuuuuuuuuuu

Yes, MVC 2 was awesome. I loved the shit out of Sega Marine Fishing with the reel controller, as well as Record of the Lodoss war, Shenmue, Soul Calibur, CannonSpike, Shenmue, etc.

jakncoke

Banned
All I'm saying is that Dixon played one season in an offense tailored to his strengths and he almost won the Heisman.

He was 2-1 in his Pittsburgh starts and got held in check by Arians' play-calling. No guarantees but the guy thrived under Chip last-go-round.

Carried to wins by defense doesnt make him a worthy qb ok. You're blinded by duck glory, you need to step back and reevaluate his game tape during the Steelers time(it wasnt pretty).

Kevtones

Carried to wins by defense doesnt make him a worthy qb ok. You're blinded by duck glory, you need to step back and reevaluate his game tape during the Steelers time(it wasnt pretty).

I thought be played pretty decent against the Ravens. Sure he threw a bad pick but the guy has been so limited it's tough to be sure.

Also, he was utter dogshit in more traditional offenses at Oregon until Chip got there. It was night and day.

And yes I am blinded.

jakncoke

Banned
I thought be played pretty decent against the Ravens. Sure he threw a bad pick but the guy has been so limited it's tough to be sure.

Also, he was utter dogshit in more traditional offenses at Oregon until Chip got there. It was night and day.

And yes I am blinded.

You need to hop on another ex-oregon players train, where youre love for LaMichael James? Patrick Chung? the other Oregon players in the pros!

Also from what I remember Dixon played scared shitless in his steelers time, never going to make it.

I wonder if Nintendo can rebrand the Wii-U. Change the name to basically anything else. I really think that the horribly stupid Wii-U name really hurts them. They tried to make an HD console with real online and then they gave it the dumbest most kiddy name in the history of consoles.

MechDX

I remember that commercial. The Sega Sports Dreamcast was pretty sweet as well. I had the white one, but always wanted that black one.

Yes, MVC 2 was awesome. I loved the shit out of Sega Marine Fishing with the reel controller, as well as Record of the Lodoss war, Shenmue, Soul Calibur, CannonSpike, Shenmue, etc.

I got 3 white ones and one black one. Long story..

Kevtones

You need to hop on another ex-oregon players train, where youre love for LaMichael James? Patrick Chung? the other Oregon players in the pros!

Also from what I remember Dixon played scared shitless in his steelers time, never going to make it.

You're being sarcastic right? Oregon football represents 98.5% off all my GAF posts.

LMJ's fumble was a bummer :(

You are totally making this up. In 2010 he completed close to 70% of his passes in the 2 games he played. Clearly Arians didnt trust him and they ran a conservative offense but he didnt play scared.

squicken

Wii U will be fine. Software drives sales, once the games come it will sell fine. A price drop certainly wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it would help that much at the moment without some killer apps.

The DC was awesome though. I played so much PSO on that damn system.

lol no. Hardware that sells 55k units in its 4th month is dead. Dumbest console ever considering the stakes. Nintendo may support it but no one else will. I know with GAF that's all that matters, but it won't to Nintendo. They'll stop supporting it soon enough

jakncoke

Banned
You are totally making this up. In 2010 he completed close to 70% of his passes in the 2 games he played. Clearly Arians didnt trust him and they ran a conservative offense but he didnt play scared.

What do I have to gain from making this up :me

I watched him play!

Take your shitty qb evaluation elsewhere santa hater!

2 games where he had most than 10 attempts

1) Baltimore 12- 26 - 146 yards 1 td - 1 int 5.58 ypa aka dumping it short playing scared( this is the game I remember him by)

2) Atlanta(following year) 18-26- 236 - 0 tds 1 int 9.06 (not bad actually

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DixoDe00/gamelog/

If you think he worthy of starting your opinion in worthless. Does he deserve a chance? Sure everyone does, cream rises to the top though and Dennis Dixon will only start if Chip Kelly goes full retard.

Dolphins have signed LB Lee Robinson. He played for the Edmonton Eskimos last year...

Looking at his history and he seems to be a lifetime practice squad guy. Has been on the Cards, Buccs, and Broncos practice squads.

What do I have to gain from making this up :me

I watched him play!

Take your shitty qb evaluation elsewhere santa hater!

I am just curious then what makes you say he played scared shitless? The numbers do not seem to back that up. Plus there is no way the offense he ran with the Steelers was designed with his style in mind, like the Eagles offense will be. I have already said I think he will fail, but he cost the Eagles nothing and I think there is atleast a chance he could do well in this offense.

They'll stop supporting it soon enough
You know that's pie in the sky. They'll price drop and do whatever incentives they can to get the thing moving with the usual games support they muster much like they did when the 3DS was floundering out of the gate. It isn't going anywhere any time soon.

In football news:

@RapSheet: As I said on Total Access: #Chiefs are actively pursuing a long-term deal with WR Dwayne Bowe.

bionic77

lol no. Hardware that sells 55k units in its 4th month is dead. Dumbest console ever considering the stakes. Nintendo may support it but no one else will. I know with GAF that's all that matters, but it won't to Nintendo. They'll stop supporting it soon enough
Everything will do worse this gen.

Also a little early to bury the system. It is overpriced like the 3DS was. If they can reduce the price and get out two great games it will sell respectably,

Godslay

Banned

Post-launch doldrums. It always happens, although not to this extent. I'm guessing it's the high price of the hardware coupled with a lack of software.

I'm willing to bet that by the time the next Holiday season rolls around the Wii U will sell very well. The system is half-baked right now in terms of both software and hardware (considering firmware upgrades and hardware hiccups). If anything we will see a price drop, and more aggressive marketing in the short term.

By the Holiday season (assuming it survives that long!), the titles will roll in and all will be well. I still stand by my assessment that either Orbis or Durango is going to fail.

You know that's pie in the sky. They'll price drop and do whatever incentives they can to get the thing moving with the usual games support they muster much like they did when the 3DS was floundering out of the gate. It isn't going anywhere any time soon.

In football news:

Everything will do worse this gen.

Also a little early to bury the system. It is overpriced like the 3DS was. If they can reduce the price and get out two great games it will sell respectably,

Agree with both of you. All it takes is a Galaxy/Zelda/MK and things are back on track.

effzee

LOL if you think Nintendo will soon stop supporting it.

They are extremely conservative business wise with full intentions on making and preserving money. They can't take a hit like this, scrap it, and just move on. They will support it and maybe even turn it around.

But yeah considering the risk they took for the 2nd time (under-powered system with new control mechanism), which this time blew up in their face especially since MS and Sony will release their own touch screen controllers, they won't finish anywhere near #1 this console cycle.

Which is fine as long as they don't lose money and keep making games. Maybe it will also knock some sense into them who knows. But with the strong sales of 3DS and majority of their big guns yet to be released for the Wii U it ain't over yet.

jakncoke

Banned
I am just curious then what makes you say he played scared shitless? The numbers do not seem to back that up. Plus there is no way the offense he ran with the Steelers was designed with his style in mind, like the Eagles offense will be. I have already said I think he will fail, but he cost the Eagles nothing and I think there is atleast a chance he could do well in this offense.

If you go back and actually watch the game( something i did when it played ) You could tell he was in over his head, Looking at stat sheets doesnt show the whole picture. What it does show his game 2 was better and that his game 1 was really poor. Although maybe Im too harsh, Ravens D was slightly less old and shitty at the time and it was his first career start. But never the less Im glad the Dixon experiment days in Pittsburgh is over. Although that left us with a sandwich thrower and a dude from the retirement village. We'll have to address this.

squicken

The 3DS had a market. It's cheaper than a cell phone, better battery, more robust games. Vita doesn't. Neither does Wii U.

Who wants a Wii U but is holding out? What does it do that Wii didn't or PS3/XBOX can't? What is the hook? Western devs won't support it. They'll be handheld only sometime next year

effzee

If you go back and actually watch the game( something i did when it played ) You could tell he was in over his head, Looking at stat sheets doesnt show the whole picture. What it does show his game 2 was better and that his game 1 was really poor. Although maybe Im too harsh, Ravens D was slightly less old and shitty at the time and it was his first career start. But never the less Im glad the Dixon experiment days in Pittsburgh is over. Although that left us with a sandwich thrower and a dude from the retirement village. We'll have to address this.

Are you writing him off based on 2-3 games he played as a Steeler as a rookie or 2nd year player?

Don't care either doubt he becomes our starter until Vick gets hurt for his annual mini vacation.

jakncoke

Banned
The 3DS had a market. It's cheaper than a cell phone, better battery, more robust games. Vita doesn't. Neither does Wii U.

Who wants a Wii U but is holding out? What does it do that Wii didn't or PS3/XBOX can't? What is the hook? Western devs won't support it. They'll be handheld only sometime next year

Nintendo franchises finally in current gen graphics!

effzee

No western developer supported the Wii.

And there are tons of people who might buy a WiiU but aren't because of the lack of games they find appealing, mainly Nintendo games.

Again it won't finish #1, and most likely a distant 3rd but pretty sure Nintendo will make sure to turn a profit from it. They already are operating close to even per sale, something MS and Sony won't be able to pull considering the tech they will be putting into their systems. Nintendo isn't Sega.

jakncoke

Banned
Are you writing him off based on 2-3 games he played as a Steeler as a rookie or 2nd year player?

Don't care either doubt he becomes our starter until Vick gets hurt for his annual mini vacation.

Do you think he'll actually surpass Foles in the depth chart? You guys really hate Foles dont you. And yes I am writing him off, this isnt circle jerk be nice to my nice team moment, this is fucking win/succeed or else. Sometimes your gut feeling is wrong, much like your gut feelings that you'd be raising a Lombardi sometime during your success streak of early 2000s. Shit happens.

Jason White was a pretty great college quarterback, how is his NFL career going?

Didnt he retire after 1 week because he was so slow he couldnt handle practice rushes

bionic77

LOL if you think Nintendo will soon stop supporting it.

They are extremely conservative business wise with full intentions on making and preserving money. They can't take a hit like this, scrap it, and just move on. They will support it and maybe even turn it around.

But yeah considering the risk they took for the 2nd time (under-powered system with new control mechanism), which this time blew up in their face especially since MS and Sony will release their own touch screen controllers, they won't finish anywhere near #1 this console cycle.

Which is fine as long as they don't lose money and keep making games. Maybe it will also knock some sense into them who knows. But with the strong sales of 3DS and majority of their big guns yet to be released for the Wii U it ain't over yet.
Nintendo cannot get in a spending war with MS and Sony. They can't lose billions on the initial hardware and wait 3+ years to make a profit. Honestly not sure Sony can do it anymore either. Nintendo has not had that position since the PSX and won't again until the big boys leave the market.

I think they to back to cube like sales, but to me the industry seems in big trouble and I wonder how much longer it is going to be sustainable.

squicken

No western developer supported the Wii.

And there are tons of people who might buy a WiiU but aren't because of the lack of games they find appealing, mainly Nintendo games.

Again it won't finish #1, and most likely a distant 3rd but pretty sure Nintendo will make sure to turn a profit from it. They already are operating close to even per sale, something MS and Sony won't be able to pull considering the tech they will be putting into their systems. Nintendo isn't Sega.

Nintendo may make money on each unit sold . . . if they sell them. Not if they sit in inventory. Not if they have to scale down production. Per unit cost then goes up. Lowering price just makes it a bigger problem.

The CEO is apologizing to investors. Not sure they are just going to give him until DEC to turn it around.

Godslay

Banned

It's going to be the lower priced option once again, when the Orbis/Durango roll out. Plus the hook is and will always be Nintendo software. If you have a kid(s) between the ages 5-12, and you want a console in the house you are most likely going to buy a Wii U.

If anything the 3DS market is going to get eaten up by Ipod Touch, or other Android devices. I've seen it first hand, all the kids in my daughters class either have a Ipod touch or want one. I know it's anecdotal, but 0.99 apps or free apps are much more appetizing to parents than $40 games. The Wii U still has a place in the home, where as Nintendo has some serious problems in the handheld space.

bionic77

I will buy one eventually and one of the other consoles between Sony and MS.

jakncoke

Banned
This page is funny.

Got 2 story plots going. 1) Is Dennis Dixon worthless or is he not bad and deserve a shot and 2) How fucked is Nintendo for next gen

jakncoke

Banned
Despite his strong college career, White was not selected in the 2005 NFL Draft and did not receive a tryout from any NFL team in the first several weeks of post-draft free agency. White became just the third Heisman trophy winner not to be drafted in the NFL after Pete Dawkins instead chose a military career and Charlie Ward chose a career in the NBA. He did eventually receive a tryout from the Kansas City Chiefs, who opted not to sign him. Eventually the Tennessee Titans signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2005,[9] but White decided to quit professional football, citing weak knees. White has expressed an interest in coaching.[10]

From wiki lol. Dem Weak Knees

squicken

I don't even know if he really even made an attempt at a professional career. He went undrafted and I don't think he was ever on an NFL roster.

White's knees were gone, and he never had an arm. Someone had him in at camp, but he knew he couldn't make it. I'm not sure he has much connection to the school anymore.

Bradford was actually the first Sooner to ever take a snap at QB in the NFL. Not sure how that makes him "destined to fail". Well Aikman was at OU but that doesn't really count

jakncoke

Banned
Today, White owns and operates the Jason White Companies,[11] which owns A Store Divided, an OU/OSU memorabilia store, and a The Athlete's Foot shoe store.[12] He also worked with insurance agent Steve Owens

What a terrible store name.

cdyhybrid

Open source does seem inevitable. Not sure that is PC anymore. Might be some kind of Android, Linux or something else altogether.

Yeah, that's more what I meant.

Along those lines, FFT coming to Android. Going to lose my job because of that game.

White's knees were gone, and he never had an arm. Someone had him in at camp, but he knew he couldn't make it. I'm not sure he has much connection to the school anymore.

Bradford was actually the first Sooner to ever take a snap at QB in the NFL. Not sure how that makes him "destined to fail". Well Aikman was at OU but that doesn't really count

No QB in the history of the school taking a snap in the NFL would fall under "destined to fail" to make it in the NFL, in my book.

Draxal

I'd be happy if Nintendo just drops the Wiiu and focus all their first party development on the 3ds. Intelligent Systems (advance wars/fire emblem/pushmo/pokemon puzzle league/paper mario) does all their best work on the portables (well the 3ds paper mario kinda sucked but that's on miyamoto's power trip).

bionic77

I'd be happy if Nintendo just drops the Wiiu and focus all their first party development on the 3ds. Intelligent Systems (advance wars/fire emblem/pushmo/pokemon puzzle league/paper mario) does all their best work on the portables (well the 3ds paper mario kinda sucked but that's on miyamoto's power trip).
A portable with WiiU power with a 6 hour battery that came with a little Apple TV like thing to stream to your tv seems like the greatest idea ever.

squicken

wiiu-dies-in-the-swamxdu1e.gif

Jesus Fuck that was the saddest damned thing in that movie

Top Bottom