• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Spinluck

I absolutely agree. There is nothing better than a nice slice of humble pie when you start getting cocky/arrogant, whether you're a large videogame corporation or athlete. It happened to Sony with the PS3 and I think its happening with Ndamakung Suh.

I think the 360 will go down as one of the greatest consoles from launch to 2013 but there is no denying the success of the 360 has lead to the arrogance of MS. MS is starting to get overly cocky after the success of Kinect, and there body language at this point suggests they can succeed without the hardcore gamer. They've forgotten what made them successful in the first place.

That's why so much faith is being put into Sony and the PS4 on GAF and elsewhere. They built a hell of a console with the PS3, and pushed Blu Ray to the masses, but the arrogance and cockiness of the PS2 got to them. They actually thought they could sell a $600 console to the masses. Sony still managed to sell 70 Million consoles but in Japan the Wii ruled, and in the west the 360 ruled. Sony, IMO, is going back to the hardcore crowd that made the PS1 and PS2 a success.

You can appeal to soccer moms all you want, but they're wishy-washy. They come and go, the hardcore gamer will always be there in one way or another.

Sony just might start off the PS4's lifecycle with a bang, hope they don't let me down.

This gen really showed them people ain't gonna buy shit if there's no games to play.

I'm thinking of buying a cheap 60" tv with only 2 HDMI inputs. No 3 D or smart feature crap either.

Resolution, refresh rate? What you aiming for? And yea, lol @3DandSmart TV's. Does brand matter to you?

cajunator

Banned
The Belgians make this.
KRbgkHw.jpg

SonnyBoy

This whole "RGIII could be back to start Week 1" is going to be a disaster.

It's just a goal that he has set, no different than any other play.

It's not the Redskins who are pushing the information out, they are being asked for updates. They haven't stated anything different. The kid is ahead of schedule.

Local media has been bitching at the Skins about RGIII's health. They absolutely won't allow the coaching staff to play him unless it's 100% without any doubt that he's ready to go.

Local media has been bitching at the Skins about RGIII's health. They absolutely won't allow the coaching staff to play him unless it's 100% without any doubt that he's ready to go.

Who wont allow the coaches to play him? If someone could stop Shanny they should have during the playoffs when RGIII was clearly hurt and they put him back in.

SonnyBoy

Who wont allow the coaches to play him? If someone could stop Shanny they should have during the playoffs when RGIII was clearly hurt and they put him back in.

The situation was a failure all around but it's not just on Mike. RGIII has to be smarter and put the team before his pride. Mike's surrounding staff, especially those up in the booth should have relayed something to the side lines.

I forget the coach who said it, probally Roberts college coach but he basically said that as a HC, it'd be hard to notice the signs that he was hurt more than he was letting on to. Small things like not planting and his throwing motion aren't thing that a HC even looks at until they review tape the next day. But I believe that he still had to have noticed something.

Bad situation, what's done is done. I believe they won't make the mistake again.

cajunator

Banned
The situation was a failure all around but it's not just on Mike. RGIII has to be smarter and put the team before his pride. Mike's surrounding staff, especially those up in the booth should have relayed something to the side lines.

I forget the coach who said it, probally Roberts college coach but he basically said that as a HC, it'd be hard to notice the signs that he was hurt more than he was letting on to. Small things like not planting and his throwing motion aren't thing that a HC even looks at until they review tape the next day. But I believe that he still had to have noticed something.

Bad situation, what's done is done. I believe they won't make the mistake again.

My Uncle is a skins fan and he said before the season "RGIII is going to be amazing but he's not gonna last the season".

SonnyBoy

My Uncle is a skins fan and he said before the season "RGIII is going to be amazing but he's not gonna last the season".

Yeah... The kid isn't made to handle but so much abuse. He's going to have to be more intelligent. What makes me feel hopeful is that they're correctable problems. All he has to do is learn when to give up on a play. Plenty of rookie QB's have the same issue of holding on to the ball for too long. But due to his ability to run, he puts more of his body at risk during those moments.

He was NEVER injured on a designed run. His injuries stem from not learning that this isn't college anymore. These men are the best of the best and can catch up to you and hurt you. Live to fight another down.

Once/if he learns that, I believe he'll be fine.

squicken

I really like both of them. That being said, the Jets bringing in Tebow this year proved to be a big mistake. Sanchez can be great, but if he doesn't get his confidence up, he won't be able to do anything but throw ints. If I had to pick a favorite Jets QB it would be McElroy. He is underdeveloped now, but he has a lot of potential. If I had to pick between Sanchez and Tebow though, it would be Sanchez.

How can you stand to be around Fox with his Tebow hate? Should have been a deal breaker

I agree with everything you said except it was clear he was hurt even going back to the game against the Eagles. At one point he tried to run and he was noticeably limping, and during the playoff game the announcers mentioned it several times. That is when the coaches have to step in, since most non-Cutler type players are going to want to play. I really hope RGIII comes back healthy. It is good for the division to have 4 competitive teams, and I dont want the Giants sneaking in at 9-7 again. :p

SonnyBoy

I agree with everything you said except it was clear he was hurt even going back to the game against the Eagles. At one point he tried to run and he was noticeably limping, and during the playoff game the announcers mentioned it several times. That is when the coaches have to step in, since most non-Cutler type players are going to want to play. I really hope RGIII comes back healthy. It is good for the division to have 4 competitive teams, and I dont want the Giants sneaking in at 9-7 again. :p

The kid will be fine. People want him to fail because he could be that good. Time will tell.

SonnyBoy

Who wants him to fail? He seems almost universally loved to me.

There just seems to be some underlying sentiment of expectation/hope of being able to say "I told you so", or "I knew it" when it comes to him. As someone who just loves football, I don't get how people get off on seeing a player injured.

For example. I live in Baltimore. My girlfriends brother was over the house (Ravens fan) when we played. As soon as RGIII got hurt, he squealed in delight. It took everything in me not to kick him the f*** out of my house. Maybe it's just Ravens fans but they just seem to relish putting other players off of the field.

I hate to see any player injured and hate to see someones livelihood threatened.

My biggest concern is the HDMI. It only has 2 in the back and I have a lot of HDMI enabled devices. You guys have any experience with switchers?

Years ago I used an HDMI switcher. It was okay but mine you had to push a button on it to switch and it would give me a black screen a lot. I would hope they are much better now though.

squicken

My biggest concern is the HDMI. It only has 2 in the back and I have a lot of HDMI enabled devices. You guys have any experience with switchers?

I have a Monoprice HDMI switch w/remote for my bedroom TV. Works fine. Was like $20. As long as you have a universal remote it's no hassle at all once setup

Talon

Yeah, but then i'll have to get compatible speakers, won't I? I bought a HTIB about 4 years ago before the HDMI boom and the speaker wires look proprietary..
You can always rip out the plugs and rewire them into banana plugs. Or wire them directly, depending on the receiver.

Yeah, but then i'll have to get compatible speakers, won't I? I bought a HTIB about 4 years ago before the HDMI boom and the speaker wires look proprietary..
Absolutely not. Any 8ohm speaker will work properly with that receiver I posted (I have a higher up Onkyo model). Nothing proprietary about that unit at all.

You can either tie the braid on the speaker wire together and insert into the screw down terminals on the back for each speaker or put the speaker wire into a banana plug and plug it in.

You can always rip out the plugs and rewire them into banana plugs. Or wire them directly, depending on the receiver.

Absolutely not. Any 8ohm speaker will work properly with that receiver. Nothing proprietary about that unit at all.

You can either tie the braid on the speaker wire together and insert into the screw down terminals on the back for each speaker or put the speaker wire into a banana plug it in.

Goddamn you guys are good at spending my money. Good idea though.

Get a receiver with HDMI switching. No reason to get an additional individual switcher imo.

I tried that before I bought the HDMI switcher and my onkyo receiver actually killed my TV. I had a cheap Westinghouse TV and when I hooked it up to the receiver and tried to switch inputs the screen totally freaked out and had horizontal lines of pixels all through it. Lucky my new TV has 4 HDMI ports on it so I dont have to worry about it any more.

I tried that before I bought the HDMI switcher and my onkyo receiver actually killed my TV. I had a cheap Westinghouse TV and when I hooked it up to the receiver and tried to switch inputs the screen totally freaked out and had horizontal lines of pixels all through it. Lucky my new TV has 4 HDMI ports on it so I dont have to worry about it any more.
There's the answer to your issue.

There's fundamentally little difference between what a receiver is doing and what an HDMI switcher is doing outside of the quality of the components and any video processing chipset that may be built into the receiver to upscale images to 1080p (or 4K in newer receivers). If the television "died" after hooking it up to the receiver and switching sources, it sounds like the A/V board on it crapped out which tends to happen on cheaper quality TV's.

Mind you, I'm working on the assumption that you bought a fairly cheap HDMI switcher and not some ultra expensive HDMI Base T Matrix Switcher..

brentech

1 episode left on House of Cards. Shit getting real. Not sure how this will end. Wasn't expecting these forces to clash.

Gotta jump on my bike on the trainer though. Will watch the finale later.

There just seems to be some underlying sentiment of expectation/hope of being able to say "I told you so", or "I knew it" when it comes to him. As someone who just loves football, I don't get how people get off on seeing a player injured.

For example. I live in Baltimore. My girlfriends brother was over the house (Ravens fan) when we played. As soon as RGIII got hurt, he squealed in delight. It took everything in me not to kick him the f*** out of my house. Maybe it's just Ravens fans but they just seem to relish putting other players off of the field.

I hate to see any player injured and hate to see someones livelihood threatened.

I don't always hate seeing a player injured if it's something minor, but only in a game my team is playing. For example, when Haloti Ngata smashed Ben Roethlisberger's face on one of hte first plays in the game and broke his nose, I wouldn't say I was "squealing in delight," but I was happy that he might miss some of the game, but I also knew he wasn't seriously injured. If he was lying on the ground twitching after getting a hard shot, or screaming in pain holding his knee, I wouldn't feel that way.

As for RGIII, my comment earlier about it being sounding like a disaster is based purely on RGIII's likeability, and the probability that he could be injured again. Don't get my wrong, I hate the Redskins, but I don't hate RGIII. He's fun to watch and very charismatic, I wish him all the success in the world, I just don't wish the Redskins success. I don't think people are lining up to watch RGIII get hurt, or waiting to say "I told you so." I think they are getting ready to attack the Redskins organization, the doctors, and the NFL mindset of playing before you're truly ready, if he is hurt again. RGIII doesn't have that asshole factor that Cam Newton has that drives people away.

I don't always hate seeing a player injured if it's something minor, but only in a game my team is playing. For example, when Haloti Ngata smashed Ben Roethlisberger's face on one of hte first plays in the game and broke his nose, I wouldn't say I was "squealing in delight," but I was happy that he might miss some of the game, but I also knew he wasn't seriously injured. If he was lying on the ground twitching after getting a hard shot, or screaming in pain holding his knee, I wouldn't feel that way.

That game pissed me off. Mostly because the Steelers were on some bullshit trying to sell Ben as having just a bloody nose when the thing was clearly bent to one side. Hate it when they do shit like that.

Top Bottom