• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

It feels like there are more Browns fans than Ravens/Steelers/Bengals combined. I mean, there is still the quality over quantity, but still. Don't like it.

It feels like there are more Browns fans than Ravens/Steelers/Bengals combined. I mean, there is still the quality over quantity, but still. Don't like it.

Well, the's currently only one Bengals fan posting (Eznark). so that thins the herd a little.

Murderers Age has never been substantial, at least in the time i've been posting here.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Do the Titans even have fans? We get 20 Browns fans but I know only 2 Cardinals fans, 1 or 2 Rams fans, and I'm pretty sure ez is the only Bengals fan here!

Browns gaf has to be the 3rd biggest group now behind only Packers and Giants fans.

Crazy talk, there are still as many Steelers fans as Browns fans.

Well, the's currently only one Bengals fan posting (Eznark). so that thins the herd a little.

Murderers Age has never been substantial, at least in the time i've been posting here.

Even the Steelers fans are dropping quickly, there's like four of you left.

It's almost like, you don't make the playoffs, and you start disappearing.....hmmmmmm.

Do the Titans even have fans? We get 20 Browns fans but I know only 2 Cardinals fans, 1 or 2 Rams fans, and I'm pretty sure ez is the only Bengals fan here!

Crazy talk, there are still as many Steelers fans as Browns fans.

There are like 6 or 7 Browns fans posting now at least semi-regularly, Steelers gaf is Decon, Harson, Bionic, and Spectral. I really think Browns gaf has passed them now.

MiKeD

Banned
Well blow me away. Less active Steeler fans than Browns fans. Maybe someday it will also be visible in FirstEnergy Stadium(I wonder when I'll get used to the name) when we're playing the Steelers.

I love the enthusiasm the new Browns fans have. It'll fade when they're off to a 2-6 start.

Hey if the Browns can figure out QB they could actually be a competitive team next year. I dont think it would be to shocking to see them go 7-9 or 8-8. Maybe jdez will come back to spout a bunch of crazy if that happens.

bionic77

Predicting it now; the next Xbox is going to be a huge success. I think they're finally going to realize their plans they had from the beginning of being everyone's entertainment hub and the console is going to be huge especially outside of gamer grognards . They have the opportunity to take advantage of a huge hole that noone has really been able to capitalize on yet, not even the almighty Apple.

You heard it here first.
Xbox is only really a big hit in the US and UK. Its name doesn't mean much for the rest of the world. Sony still picks up the slack for the rest of Europe and Asia and Japan seems to only care about handhelds (they have the best taste).

In the last gen MS and Sony will have sold like 75-80 million over 7-8 years and Nintendo sold like 100 million Wiis. At the prices these things are going to launch at I can't see 250 million consoles being sold again. Nintendo is already suffering a big reduction and I think they should be happy if they even get to 50 million. The 3DS will be lucky to get to 80% of what the DS was. The Vita seems DOA. I think that between the Xbox and new PS one of them will be the overall victor and may sell more units than they did last gen, but overall contraction is going to happen.

Why would anyone really want to pay 400-500 to have an Xbox as their entertainment hub? It is pretty shit at that already and I think most people would rather have an Apple TV/Roku with a iPad/Nexus/Amazon tablet.

The model for really expensive hardware and $60 gaming is going to exist because of hardcore gamers, but I don't see the mainstream jumping in until the consoles get to 200-300 dollars. I see tough times ahead for everyone.

Ravens fans are weak sauce bitches. You guys just won a SB and can't even attract enough fairweathers to take over this place a few weeks after the SB. Just the rumor of Flacco or Smith to Cleveland is enough to get the residents of Cleveland exited enough to take this place over. I always respected their fans. I am not sure I will continue to say that if they ever become good and start to kick our ass, but for now they have my sympathies.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The model for really expensive hardware and $60 gaming is going to exist because of hardcore gamers, but I don't see the mainstream jumping in until the consoles get to 200-300 dollars. I see tough times ahead for everyone.

Ravens fans are weak sauce bitches. You guys just won a SB and can't even attract enough fairweathers to take over this place a few weeks after the SB. Just the rumor of Flacco or Smith to Cleveland is enough to get the residents of Cleveland exited enough to take this place over. I always respected their fans. I am not sure I will continue to say that if they ever become good and start to kick our ass, but for now they have my sympathies.

Wasn't this how it used to be before they started putting DVD players into a console? It means a contracting market but I don't think teenagers and college students are going to suddenly stop playing video games because they have fruit ninja on their iphone. After reflecting on the whole thing a bit, it's clear that the industry has peaked and will suffer a downturn here pretty soon but maybe that's okay and developers can get back to making awesome "hardcore" games instead of imagine:babyz or whatever.

(Provided they get their budgets under control, the cost of development sends my accounting bells off more than any other major problem affecting the landscape today.)

And you're too right about the Ravens fans here. Even the Saints had a bunch of fans in here talking about how hard it is to play up in Lando field after they won the Super Bowl (I was lurking at the time but I saw it!)

bionic77

Wasn't this how it used to be before they started putting DVD players into a console? It means a contracting market but I don't think teenagers and college students are going to suddenly stop playing video games because they have fruit ninja on their iphone. After reflecting on the whole thing a bit, it's clear that the industry has peaked and will suffer a downturn here pretty soon but maybe that's okay and developers can get back to making awesome "hardcore" games instead of imagine:babyz or whatever.

(Provided they get their budgets under control, the cost of development sends my accounting bells off more than any other major problem affecting the landscape today.)

And you're too right about the Ravens fans here. Even the Saints had a bunch of fans in here talking about how hard it is to play up in Lando field after they won the Super Bowl (I was lurking at the time but I saw it!)
It was even more expensive in the 80s and 90s, but there were a lot less entertainment options back then.

I don't think gaming is going to die, but I also can't imagine the new Xbox being the central hub to the living room. It just makes no sense to me and I don't see what it offers over a cheap $60 Roku. I do think that the current model is unsustainable and these 3 companies will hold on as long as possible. Open source is going to happen eventually, probably not next gen but someone is going to get it right pretty soon. Maybe it will be Steam.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
There are like 6 or 7 Browns fans posting now at least semi-regularly, Steelers gaf is Decon, Harson, Bionic, and Spectral. I really think Browns gaf has passed them now.

tumblr_m6h0561PJj1ryd8kco1_400.gif

bionic77

yankee is right. Browns fans are posting much more than Steeler fans.

But give it another season of failure and we are going to overtake this mofo with a mob of misery and anger that will put the Browns sad sob party to shame.

I'm glad there weren't more Ravens fans. More glory for me, Bolt, Nakazoto, and Xnpix. Fareweathers of my own team piss me off worse than any others.

Bowser

Couple of Panthers notes:

Kalil restructures contract
Kalil was given a $5 million signing bonus, but his base salary was dropped from $4.75 million to $750,000. His cap figured dropped from $8.6 million to $6.4 million.

Chris Canty was on local radio this morning. Said a couple of days after he was released Thomas Davis texted him "come home." Said he thinks the Panthers are on the verge of something great and is a well-rounded team. Says he wants to play for the Panthers and is willing to give a hometown discount, but has not yet been contacted. Also said he doesn't mind being on a one-year contract.

So what you will about the Browns, we have loyal passionate fans and it'll always be that way. Lets see your fairweather fans have as many losing seasons as we do and still hang around, offseason or not. Will always love my team, hell or high water. :)

bionic77

I'm glad there weren't more Ravens fans. More glory for me, Bolt, Nakazoto, and Xnpix. Fareweathers of my own team piss me off worse than any others.
I am with you there, but it is a little embarrassing that the Ravens brand can't attract at least a few fairweathers after a Superbowl win.

I mean even the Pats can wrangle up a few fairweathers.

Of course no one compares to the King, the Cowboys. Every time they start out 4-0 or 5-0 this place is flooded with Cowboy assholes, but they all seem to conveniently disappear once Romotime takes over.

yankee is right. Browns fans are posting much more than Steeler fans.

But give it another season of failure and we are going to overtake this mofo with a mob of misery and anger that will put the Browns sad sob party to shame.

If it only took failure Eagles fans would be running this place. I totally disagree with you about next gen. I think the 720 is going to be huge. I think MS is doing an amazing job this gen and they will do even better next gen. People love XBL, their subscription numbers are amazing. The Xbox does all the media stuff that a device like a roku does while also having games like CoD, Madden, Halo and so forth. I also expect Sony to do well next gen. Plus is becoming an amazing service, and if they can get their online up to snuff they will be in great shape. Once people see the graphical leap and the new features that these new consoles have they will jump in again. Of course no BC or achievement/trophies not carrying over would hurt things, but hopefully neither company will be that stupid.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Misery and depression with sports teams is all I know.

This last few months have actually been the best stretch of sports viewing for me in a long time.

Kinda sad really.

I am with you there, but it is a little embarrassing that the Ravens brand can't attract at least a few fairweathers after a Superbowl win.

I mean even the Pats can wrangle up a few fairweathers.

Of course no one compares to the King, the Cowboys. Every time they start out 4-0 or 5-0 this place is flooded with Cowboy assholes, but they all seem to conveniently disappear once Romotime takes over.

Go back and read the week 1 thread after they beat the Giants last year. It was crazy how many "fans" were in the thread crowing about how it was going to be Dallas' year.

It was even more expensive in the 80s and 90s, but there were a lot less entertainment options back then.

I don't think gaming is going to die, but I also can't imagine the new Xbox being the central hub to the living room. It just makes no sense to me and I don't see what it offers over a cheap $60 Roku. I do think that the current model is unsustainable and these 3 companies will hold on as long as possible. Open source is going to happen eventually, probably not next gen but someone is going to get it right pretty soon. Maybe it will be Steam.

I tend to agree, I think there's going to be a cleansing this gen, if you will. Of course, I'm an old fart and don't really care about "entertainment hubs" but I honestly think most people don't either. And the reason is, people have a ton of computers now. First, laptops were replacing desktops and now phones, tablets and pads are taking over. If you want to view pics, listen to music or watch youtube, people are going that route more and more and I don't think they really care anymore about having the TV with a box be the central need for that. It's like in their blinding battle to take over the living room, they're not realizing that the technology has advanced to take it all out of the living room.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Honestly, the NFL as a whole is much more interesting to watch when the Cowboys are doing well.

Its more interesting when the most popular teams do well. Because inevitably they will fall off the throne and the saltiness that follows is fantastic.

Nflgaf is at its best when the pats lose.

BigAT

I tend to agree, I think there's going to be a cleansing this gen, if you will. Of course, I'm an old fart and don't really care about "entertainment hubs" but I honestly think most people don't either. And the reason is, people have a ton of computers now. First, laptops were replacing desktops and now phones, tablets and pads are taking over. If you want to view pics, listen to music or watch youtube, people are going that route more and more and I don't think they really care anymore about having the TV with a box be the central need for that. It's like in their blinding battle to take over the living room, they're not realizing that the technology has advanced to take it all out of the living room.

Half of new TVs now have all of those capabilities built right into the TV, don't even need an external device.

Its more interesting when the most popular teams do well. Because inevitably they will fall off the throne and the saltiness that follows is fantastic.

Nflgaf is at its best when the pats lose.

Yeah watching lunchbox flounder is the best thing the internet has to offer. It is almost going to be sad when the Pats are completely terrible and he just stops running his mouth.

Top Bottom