• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

Striker

I'd personally want to do something different. Like many Giant fans, including myself, thought they were going to hire Mike Sullivan after Gilbride had left. The McAdoo hire was sort of under the radar but turned out to be a great one.

ShaneB

The offseason is actually much more interesting when you realize the acquisitions you need to make are WR help.

From Joe Schad's Twitter:

Todd McShay: “The guys that have won Super Bowls, none of them have had these character issues and questions coming out of school.”

Todd McShay: “On the field, between the lines, Jameis Winston is the best QB, and I believe the best player, in the 2015 NFL Draft.”

Hahahahahahahaha.

BigAT

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN
Ravens DB coach Steve Spagnuolo is absolutely on the short-list to replace Fewell, sources say. Hard to say if he's at top, or just on it.

effzee

From Joe Schad's Twitter:

Todd McShay: “The guys that have won Super Bowls, none of them have had these character issues and questions coming out of school.”

Todd McShay: “On the field, between the lines, Jameis Winston is the best QB, and I believe the best player, in the 2015 NFL Draft.”

Hahahahahahahaha.

I don't see the problem? Great potential talent but character issues. Doesn't seem contradictory to me.

Draxal

Yeah, no obvious choices spring to mind. Aside from Spags, but I feel like that is an overly emotional choice and not thinking with your head.

It's not really emotional.

1. Coughlin wants to go to war with his boys. Spags is one of his boys.
2. It's not an attractive job, we aren't getting Fangio.

Striker

Tom Rock ‏@TomRock_Newsday 25s25 seconds ago
Antrel says there is a chance the Fewell decision will affect his free agency plans.

Don't worry, 'Trel.

bionic77

Working from home is amazing.

Also, fuck the NFL for making me cheer for the Ravens.

I am going to have a take a Sugg's style bath in bleach to feel clean after watching for that game and rooting for the Ravens to win (assuming God doesn't step in and drop a meteor on the stadium at kickoff).

I am going to have a take a Sugg's style bath in bleach to feel clean after watching for that game and rooting for the Ravens to win (assuming God doesn't step in and drop a meteor on the stadium at kickoff).

If Tebow is as good as we think he is, that game will be forfeited and both teams kicked out of the league.

Except 89. Put him back on the Panthers.

Jarnet87

So a day after Winston said he was waiting til after the National Championship game his father says he's entering the draft. That took long lol.

Glad he's entering, I want Winston over Mariota. Winston with V Jax and six bottles, shame we have to spend a lot of our picks on fixing both sides of the line. We could do with a guy like Rashad Greene and Nick O'Leary to give this team some nice short to intermediate options. Evans and Jackson aren't the greatest route runners IMO and this team lacks guys who can move the chains. ASJ was a disappointment and we all know how little Lovie values the tight end position. Dat FSU bias.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
BG should I follow Lane Adkins then?

I need as much good Browns reporters as I can get.

Life has been so much better without seeing Grossi's smug face.

BG should I follow Lane Adkins then?

I need as much good Browns reporters as I can get.

Life has been so much better without seeing Grossi's smug face.
Sure, like I said I don't follow anyone on Twitter so don't know how often he tweets. But if you want actual info on whats going on in the Browns he's a good bet.

He's the insider on the OBR

Dragon

Banned

You should tell your team to fuck off for losing to them!

Fox318

jZgRWlu.gif

"Positive" motions from both sides regarding working a new deal with Fitz :D I imagine we can just tear up his contract and write up a reasonable one that has more guaranteed money as Fitz dried that up with this current one so it would provide incentive for both sides. It had been all PR talk thus far with Fitz supposedly saying he didn't expect to be here and Keim saying the plan is for him to retire a Card. Today we actually have the initiation of trying to make sure he stays here. I'm glad they are getting an early start as I really don't want to have to read about Larry possibly leaving all fucking off season. Let's lock him up with a reasonable contract and be done with it! Then Cards fans can discuss how many games D Wash will be suspended this year for the domestic issue last year ;_; I'm hoping because the court lowered it to a misdemeanor and only gave him probation and that it was before the new rules, that the new 6 week rule won't apply to him. We'll see...

Who will draft this monster?

trevone-boykin-shawn-oakman-ncaa-football-texas-christian-baylor.jpg
Think he already announced he's staying in school.
Edit:
Here
Baylor redshirt junior edge rusher Shawn Oakman will return to Baylor for the 2015 season.
We are shocked. Oakman has two seasons under his belt of on-field FBS action and was only a full-time starter this season, but many expected him to declare. The Oakmonster is chiseled from stone and put together some tremendous flashes from his left defensive end spot thanks to his combination of burst and power. His motor has been criticized by many, which is common among college defensive linemen thanks to a lack of rotation at that level of football. Oakman likely would have displayed tremendous athleticism at the Combine. Baylor fans should be thrilled about the decision. It also distances Oakman from his off-field issue that led to his transfer from Penn State. The edge rushing class is still tremendously deep for the 2015 draft. Mon, Dec 29, 2014 09:45:00 AM
Source: Brian Kaufman on Twitter
Via roto

MechDX

PFF'S2014 Dwight Stephenson Award

In case you hadn’t noticed, PFF isn’t awarding an MVP this season. In most sports the most valuable player is inherently also the best player. In football the most valuable players are all quarterbacks, such has been the development of the game. The award has lost all meaning. It has become a quarterback only award that an occasional running back can squeeze his way into if his quarterback is bad enough. The best players, though, can play in any position.

Instead of handing an award to a quarterback or running back when other players at less glamorous positions enjoyed far superior seasons, we decided to simply recognize the best overall performance of the NFL season each year – the best player in football – and bestow the Dwight Stephenson Award to that player.

The award is named after a player who pre-dates Pro Football Focus but does not pre-date the site’s ethos. Dwight Stephenson played only eight NFL seasons for the Miami Dolphins, but was a five-time All-Pro and was selected to the All-Decade team of the 1980s. More importantly, you only need to throw on a couple of minutes of tape to see that he was something special.

This award comes with no positional bias whatsoever. A guard has every bit as much chance to win it as a cornerback, pass-rusher, quarterback or any other position. All they need to do is dominate and perform during the regular season.

Let’s take a look at the candidates this year.

4th Runner Up:Marshal Yanda, G, Baltimore Ravens
3rd Runner Up:Chris Harris, CB, Denver Broncos
2nd Runner Up:Justin Houston, OLB, Kansas City Chiefs
1st Runner Up:Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay Packers

2014 Stephenson Award Winner

J.J. Watt, DE, Houston Texans

When all is said and done the Dwight Stephenson Award may end up being renamed in J.J. Watt’s honor. This is the award’s third season in existence and the third straight year it has been won by Watt. If anything, this season was even more convincing a victory than each of the past two.

It’s beginning to get difficult to explain just how much better than his peers Watt is. Zero is designed to be the ‘average’ PFF grade. There were 20 3-4 DEs with a grade lower than zero this season. Only 27, including Watt, graded above zero. The second-best of those was Sheldon Richardson with a +39.9 grade, nine sacks, 54 total pressures and 32 defensive stops. Watt posted an insane +107.5 grade, 21 sacks, 119 total pressures and 61 defensive stops. He also had 10 batted passes, four forced fumbles, an interception, a defensive touchdown, a safety… oh, and he scored three receiving touchdowns moonlighting as a tight end in goal-line packages.

2014-insets-WATT-2

Watt is so far out on his own in terms of play that he breaks every graph we create to try and illustrate it, extending axes and generally sitting off on a data point all to himself. He is completely redefining what we thought a defensive player was capable of, and is only getting better.

This season Watt moved around more than ever before, becoming a true edge-rusher more than an interior presence. His highlight reel is mind-blowing, and reminds you of watching NFL players when they were back in high school – he is just bigger, faster or stronger than everybody that is being tasked with stopping him, often all three at once.

We are truly privileged to be watching one of the best players to ever lace up cleats in action.

J.J. Watt is the now three-time winner of the Dwight Stephenson Award. He is the best player in football, period.

Jason La Canfora
Heard Vic Fangio's interview with the 49ers, who already know him quite well, lasted in excess of 6hrs and was very impressive. Interesting

I'm all for hiring Fangio and picking up a strong offensive coordinator. There isn't really anyone out there in the coaching ranks that strikes me as impressive. Certainly a better option than the Mike and Kyle Shanny combo.

Mrbob

Joe Thomas Best OT in the game. JJ Watt best Defensive player in the game. Wussle doing his thing in Seattle. Wisconsin seems to release some top end talent into the league.

Hopefully MG3 is next.

Bread

Banned
Do we REALLY need to read all the posts by Packers fans saying how A-ron is god? Except for Greg of course. He knows who the MVP is.
Mech, no one disputes the fact that JJ is the best player in the league. Doesn't mean he's MVP though.

Hunter S.

Do we REALLY need to read all the posts by Packers fans saying how A-ron is god? Except for Greg of course. He knows who the MVP is.

Precise, accurate and pertinent take on the thread when the Packers are actually good. SMH *throws up in mouth a little with that thought*

bionic77

Who cares if JJ is the best defensive player in the league other than the media, advertisers, his agent and diseased groupies who want his seed (ie Mech)?

This is football and what matters is the team and the W.

Also Watt is a better player but Harrison in his prime was cooler and "clutch". Dude always made the big play on defense. Suggs is pretty clutch on defense too but he is an alien outlaw so fuck him.

Top Bottom