• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

eznark

Banned
Alok Pattani @AlokPattaniESPN
On SEA play call: TO% similarly low (~2%) on rush OR pass from Opp 1-2, even late-&-close. 1 famous TO on run play:

Alok Pattani @AlokPattaniESPN
Point is, execution (i.e. Butler's great play) had MUCH bigger impact than call, based on prior knowledge. Easy to 2nd guess knowing result.

Spinluck

Peter Carroll is still a fantastic coach. He was going head to head with one the GOAT coaches of all time and was holding his own.

But that was absolutely the single dumbest fucking call in the history of the sport. What Herschel Walker trade was to trades and Ryan Leaf over Peyton was to draft choices, Carrol's Call was to playcalling. It was so astoundingly bad that I ain't even mad at Hawks fans calling for his head. They're not rational right now.

It was a terrible call but at the same time, after that 30 second drive to score before the half I can see why they trusted Wussle with that play. I still don't agree with putting that on the QB when you absolutely don't have to. Poor Wussle will have to live with that play forever. Run something to his strength like the option if you want him to score.

Also, I feel like Bill not letting them score was him learning from that last SB against the Giants. Probably for tired of losing and having to rely on desperation hail marrys. At that point he probably said fuck it. Lol.

MechDX

Early Vegas odds for next years Super Bowl:

Seahawks: 5-1

Patriots: 6-1

Packers: 6-1

Cowboys: 10-1

Colts: 12-1

Broncos: 12-1

49ers: 18-1

Eagles: 20-1

Steelers: 20-1

Lions: 22-1

Bengals: 25-1

Saints: 25-1

Cardinals: 30-1

Chiefs: 30-1

Ravens: 30-1

Chargers: 40-1

Giants: 40-1

Panthers: 40-1

Bears: 50-1

Dolphins: 50-1

Falcons: 50-1

Texans: 50-1

Bills: 60-1

Rams: 60-1

Vikings: 60-1

Browns: 75-1

Jets: 100-1

Raiders: 100-1

Washington: 100-1

Buccaneers: 150-1

Jaguars: 150-1

Titans: 250-1

LevelNth

Banned
What do people think of Harbaugh not running it?
It was and still is to this day, idiocy. Worse of it was that on that Niners final drive, it was predominately Gore that gashed the Raven's D. If I recall he even had like a 12 yard run that took it to the 5. Then 4 straight pass plays.

Forever a stain on Harbaugh's legacy with the Niners.

Spinluck

Are those real Mech? No way Seattle makes it to 3 straight. Their secondary is already feeling the hurt from all those games and they need some WRs.

jmdajr

well that's not nice

but lol at titans and jags at least.

Fox318

I don't really blame him, Revis kept demanding more, I get the frustration.

With that tampa deal they could have cut his ass at any time.

Instead cheapass motherfucker idzik decided he would rather bankrupt the franchise so he could get the Seahawks OC as their coach.

hqdefault.jpg

The reaction to that call at the end of the game is equal parts hindsight being 20/20 with prisoner of the moment-ness (to borrow a term from Bayless).

Every person in America expected a run there. The Pats D certainly did. Carroll/Bevell just tried to go with something unexpected and it didn't work out. Slightly better execution and we're talking about how Pete Carroll is a genius and the Seahawks are on their way to dynasty.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So when cooler heads prevail, do you think last night's play call will still be looked at as the worst in Super Bowl history?

What cooler heads though? I am legitimately trying to think of a worse call in Super Bowl history. You'd have to find a game losing decision, then you'd have to put that decision not in the best player on the field, but in the hands of a relatively young QB who had a 0.00 passer rating until late in the game, then you'd also have to run a severely dangerous play off that decision.

- Lynch is the best back in the league right now
- He'd been gashing their front line for short yard gains all night.
- Russel was having an okay night, but not when under pressure
- They had a potential mismatch on the right side if they threw a back corner fade
- Even if that pass didn't connect, it is far more likely to go out of bounds
- A run would eat up more playclock than a quick slant
- You have a mobile QB who has been known to run an effective option from time to time if you felt the middle was too clogged with Wilfork and Co. Off right tackle had been soft to short yard gains all night and they had a hell of a FB they could use as second blocker. Hell, Wussell could throw a stutter block at least there.

Bottom line, no matter which angle you take it from, that was the worst call I have ever seen in the Super Bowl in 30+ years.

That's not taking anything away from the Pats, who earned their first legitimate Super Bowl victory in an exciting game that wasn't decided by the refs. For a non-fan of either team, it was a great game to watch.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The reaction to that call at the end of the game is equal parts hindsight being 20/20 with prisoner of the moment-ness (to borrow a term from Bayless).

Every person in America expected a run there. The Pats D certainly did. Carroll/Bevell just tried to go with something unexpected and it didn't work out. Slightly better execution and we're talking about how Pete Carroll is a genius and the Seahawks are on their way to dynasty.

Pretty much.

My buddy was yelling at how stupid Bellichek was to not call a timeout there and how it was singlehandedly the stupidest decision he's made then the interception came.

eznark

Banned
I give the Vikings way better odds than the Bears. I think the Bear really, really nose dive this year while the Vikings will be a 9 win team.

Fox318

CVGOqTx.gif

LJ11

It's not so much the execution, but more so that the Pats executed even better. That was text book play on the slant. Fine, Russell Wilson puts it on the numbers, then the WR has to body catch, and the hit may jar the ball loose anyway, but at this point we're playing what ifs.

I think the execution was fine, play was there, DB just made a fantastic play.

Talon

On Dec. 23, a Tuesday in the final week of the season, Manziel stood in front of about 20 media members and outlined his plan to become the Browns' answer at quarterback. He wanted to be "the guy" for Cleveland, he said, and would do so by taking his job more seriously in the offseason. He was more animated than he'd been all year, eager to declare his intentions.

But four days later, the day before the Browns' season finale on Dec. 28, stories in the Browns' facility began to circulate. That morning the Browns were packing up to head to Baltimore, but Manziel was not present for the walk-through. Team security drove to Manziel's downtown home to check on him.

Two team sources said security found a player who they felt clearly had partied hard the night before. One source used the words "drunk off his a--."

The official word was that Manziel was "late," but players said they didn't see Manziel until the Browns' chartered airplane prepared to take off in the afternoon and that he was not present all morning. The team fined Manziel for missing treatment on his injured hamstring, then had him sit in the locker room during the season finale that Sunday against the Ravens.

"Johnny's his own worst enemy," one source said.

Manziel had another news conference the next day, saying many of the same things from six days earlier: Actions must support words. He was featured in Instagram photos that night on Miami Beach, a few days later at a club in Houston and a few days after that on a mountain in Aspen, Colorado.
And nobody was surprised.

Colasante

The season opener will probably have to be Patriots-Steelers. Patriots home games are Steelers, Eagles, Bills, Jets, Redskins, Dolphins, Jaguars, and Titans.

eznark

Banned
It's not so much the execution, but more so that the Pats executed even better. That was text book play on the slant. Fine, Russell Wilson puts it on the numbers, then the WR has to body catch, and the hit may jar the ball loose anyway, but at this point we're playing what ifs.

I think the execution was fine, play was there, DB just made a fantastic play.

Yup. Also what a puss effort from the wide out. I feel like almost any other 1/2 receiver in the leagues makes that catch.

We all know Jordy makes that catch.

Talamius

So when cooler heads prevail, do you think last night's play call will still be looked at as the worst in Super Bowl history?

Looking back I'm more ok than I was originally with passing, but that was the worst possible pass play that could have been called. Why run a play in that spot straight into the heart of the area you're trying to avoid to start with?

Bootleg Russell out. If there's an open target hit him. If not then try to run it in the corner. If neither are available throw it as far into the stands as you can and then hand off to Lynch the rest of the way.

Spinluck

The thing is they did not execute it well enough. Sometimes it's better to run or go with the obvious fake call even when it's expected. You don't really need to over think these things IMO. Giants ran it in just fine after Eli lead them down the field in that last Pats SB, the cute shit is unnecessary. You are right though, slightly better execution and they win and we're praising the good name of DangeWuss, but that's what you have to live with when you make that call and it goes to shit. If they got suffered on 3 runs to Lynch, no one is gonna yell, "they should've passed it OMFG!!!" Have them beat you on your terms: ground and pound. Trent Truck would not have stood for that call.

WanderingWind

1) Shocked that LJ doesn't know a top college prospect. What is the world coming to?
2) Johnny Football is a prime example of why the NFL needs a AA league. Clearly wasn't ready for the big leagues, but was not really going to develop maturity wise or skill wise at college because of the NCAA worship culture.

Talon

he should have stayed in college for another year.

It should be like baseball

You can either come out of high school or you have to stay in college 3 years
I'm sure staying around his enabling parents and attending "school" from home would've helped him mature.

Pete Carroll just needs to go all in at the end with his star players. Didn't he do the same thing at USC leaving Bush on the sideline on the 4th down play?

WanderingWind

The thing is they did not execute it well enough. Sometimes it's better to run or go with the obvious fake call even when it's expected. You don't really need to over think these things IMO. .

Bingo. This is a classic example of a smart coach over thinking the blindingly obvious. Ironically, a dumber, safer coach would have just run it and the Seahawks would be back to back champs right now. He simply over thought it.

Fox318

Jets have 3 options for the draft

• Trade up for a QB or if one falls
  • Trade down for more picks so they can replenish the lines
  • Amari Cooper

If they draft a DE I will be mad as fuck

Top Bottom