• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
He put them in position, but the defense actually won them the game.

so when Joe montana won, did his defense just not do anything in the games? Tom went 13 of 15 with 2 TDs. His ability to keep his head straight is unreal. The defense came up big, but it doesn't happen at all if Tom doesn't get them there, just sayin.

Tom Penny

so when Joe montana won, did his defense just not do anything in the games? Tom went 13 of 15 with 2 TDs. His ability to keep his head straight is unreal. The defense came up big, but it doesn't happen at all if Tom doesn't get them there, just sayin.

Let him have his fun. Soon he will have the most overpaid QB in the league.

cdyhybrid

You know whose defense didn't win the game for them....the one that Bevell is taking the heat for.

Yeah.

I mean, that has nothing to do with the conversation, but yeah.

I never said they didn't. Do you guys even read my posts?

I said if you want the title of GOAT you need to have memorable moments. Montana had The Catch. Jordan had The Shot 1 & 2. Tiger has that shot at The Masters.

The most memorable moments in Brady's tenure are plays made by other people.

Joe Montana his defenses held the opposing team to 17.8 points on average in the Super Bowl.

All on Joe, with his scrub team around him.

I said if you want the title of GOAT you need to have memorable moments. Montana had The Catch. Jordan had The Shot 1 & 2. Tiger has that shot at The Masters.

Montana caught the ball as well with the catch?

Yeah.

Those plays wouldve never happened if Brady had not got them there.

Mrbob

Yeah.

It is though. Seattle is thought to have one of the best defenses of all time and Brady clowned them in crunch time, thus improving his legacy. However I think this years Seattle team is overrated. Even on defense. They hit hard but their zones can be beat just like any other with some time to throw. They weren't even the best team in the NFC to represent in the Super Bowl.

Hard to argue against Brady right now with all his accomplishments.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah.

Lol I like how you highlight "the catch", and talk about plays made by other people. First off "the catch didn't happen in the superbowl. If you want to go outside the superbowl Tom has plenty of amazing moments. 2nd off, Breaking all those records in the superbowl are iconic. Tom marching down the field then spiking the ball and just casually catching it in the rams game is iconic. Tom has lead game winning drives in literally every single one of his superbowls.

I don't know why I'm feeding into this lol we're champs it is what it is and you're entitled to your opinion. On top of that I know you don't believe this. Nobody in their right mind would believe what you're saying right now.

cdyhybrid

Montana caught the ball as well with the catch?

He threw the ball. He was involved with the play.

He was actually ON THE FIELD.

Lol I like how you highlight "the catch", and talk about plays made by other people. First off "the catch didn't happen in the superbowl. If you want to go outside the superbowl Tom has plenty of amazing moments. 2nd off, Breaking all those records in the superbowl are iconic. Tom marching down the field then spiking the ball and just casually catching it in the rams game is iconic. Tom has lead game winning drives in literally every single one of his superbowls.

I don't know why I'm feeding into this lol we're champs it is what it is and you're entitled to your opinion. On top of that I know you don't believe this. Nobody in their right mind would believe what you're saying right now.

No one in their right mind would think Joe Montana is the greatest QB of all time? Really? And did Joe Montana not throw the pass that resulted in The Catch?

What are Tom Brady's memorable plays then? Because when I think back on his career, I remember the Tuck Rule, Vinatieri's kicks, McNabb puking, whatever that safety's name is that made the end zone pick, the Helmet Catch, and missing Welker. Brady doesn't have a signature play.

It is though. Seattle is thought to have one of the best defenses of all time and Brady clowned them in crunch time, thus improving his legacy. However I think this years Seattle team is overrated. Even on defense. They hit hard but their zones can be beat just like any other with some time to throw. They weren't even the best team in the NFC to represent in the Super Bowl.

So which is it then? Are they the best defense of all time or are they overrated?

Mrbob

So which is it then? Are they the best defense of all time or are they overrated?

They were one of the best last year. This year I'd probably put them in the top 3 for the season but not all time good. Either way the 85 Bears are still safe as the GOAT.

Also, Montana did his thing without salary cap. I think this gives Brady a big edge, since the Patriots can't keep the roster intact each season as many changes have to be made.

Godslay

Banned
That's a weird way to spell Dan Marino.

It's always a point of contention.

Do you proclaim the GOAT on wins in a team game?

Or based on individual achievements?

Marino/Peyton/Rodgers are all better QBs than Brady by the numbers (Rodgers projects out). Yet all three are lacking a dynastic runs at the Superbowl(even if it's surrounded by controversy).

Going simply by this, Marino is in a class of his own. His stats are absurd for the era, but people seem to forget that.

Brady has good stats, and has a dynastic resume. He's not a better QB then the guys above, but he did it this post season and contributed to the spygate era SB wins by being a good game manager and great at times.

Really I think Brady has had a better career than all of them, with the more complete situation around him and the record shows that. That doesn't make him a better QB if anyone can pick up on that nuance.

I'm sure someone will be offended by this. So be it. If anything I wish that both Manning and Brady retire so we can stop having these dumb fuck arguments. I want him back for 1 year, so he can one and done, retire a Colt, and we can pound the rock with CJ and Edward and have battles with Carr.

Colasante

wYXXQhL.png

Okay...

Spinluck

Marino/Peyton/Rodgers are all better QBs than Brady by the numbers (Rodgers projects out). Yet all three are lacking a dynastic runs at the Superbowl(even if it's surrounded by controversy).

Going simply by this, Marino is in a class of his own. His stats are absurd for the era, but people seem to forget that.

Brady has good stats, and has a dynastic resume. He's not a better QB then the guys above, but he did it this post season and contributed to the spygate era SB wins by being a good game manager and great at times.

Really I think Brady has had a better career than all of them, with the more complete situation around him and the record shows that. That doesn't make him a better QB if anyone can pick up on that nuance.

I'm sure someone will be offended by this. So be it. If anything I wish that both Manning and Brady retire so we can stop having these dumb fuck arguments. I want him back for 1 year, so he can one and done, retire a Colt, and we can pound the rock with CJ and Edward and have battles with Carr.

You need some sort of stability to be that dominant. Like, you need a GOAT coach to have that kind of success.

Colasante

Montana throws a TD with < 1 minute (or however long it was) left to win the game.

Brady comes on after an end zone interception with < 1 minute left and takes knees.

You don't see the difference?

I see Tom Brady and Joe Montana both leading their teams from behind in the 4th quarter and scoring a go ahead touchdown, then heading to the bench and watching their defense score a turnover to give the offense back the ball with the ability to seal the victory.

Are you serious with this right now?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

No one in their right mind would think Joe Montana is the greatest QB of all time? Really? And did Joe Montana not throw the pass that resulted in The Catch?

What are Tom Brady's memorable plays then? Because when I think back on his career, I remember the Tuck Rule, Vinatieri's kicks, McNabb puking, whatever that safety's name is that made the end zone pick, the Helmet Catch, and missing Welker. Brady doesn't have a signature play.

All the great comeback drives are iconic, he has the most 4th quarter game winning drives lol. Vinatierri was able to kick a FG because of a last minute drive. I didn't say nobody in their right mind would think Joe is the GOAT, again this is either major trolling or you're comprehension struggles. I was arguing that nobody in their right mind would see it as one sided as you do. I just listed plays for Brady that are great. Him spiking the ball, him last night pumping the fist will be played over again calmly after taking the late lead against a legendary defense. And once again we're talking about the big game here, not random other moments in regular season or playoff games. Tom is one of the greats and that opinion will live on forever. Sorry if that hurts, just the way it is.

Tom Penny

Manning can't hold Brady's jockstrap. Get over it. That ship has sailed a long time ago and that gap is just becoming a canyon at this point.

cdyhybrid

I see Tom Brady and Joe Montana both leading their teams from behind in the 4th quarter and scoring a go ahead touchdown, then heading to the bench and watching their defense score a turnover to give the offense back the ball with the ability to seal the victory.

Are you serious with this right now?

What happens if Lockette makes that catch? I think you know what happens, it's fairly obvious.

Now tell me what happens if Danny White doesn't fumble the ball.
You can't.

Your argument is Brady scored with too much time left?

I've stated my argument numerous times. Brady doesn't have any signature moments/plays. The team does, but he himself does not.

All the great comeback drives are iconic, he has the most 4th quarter game winning drives lol. Vinatierri was able to kick a FG because of a last minute drive. I didn't say nobody in their right mind would think Joe is the GOAT, again this is either major trolling or you're comprehension struggles. I was arguing that nobody in their right mind would see it as one sided as you do. I just listed plays for Brady that are great. Him spiking the ball, him last night pumping the fist will be played over again calmly after taking the late lead against a legendary defense. And once again we're talking about the big game here, not random other moments in regular season or playoff games. Tom is one of the greats and that opinion will live on forever. Sorry if that hurts, just the way it is.

They're impressive no doubt, but iconic? Nah. What happens if Vinatieri misses that kick? No one remembers Brady getting them in position for the kick. What happens if Butler doesn't make the pick and Lockette catches a TD? No one remember Brady coming back from 10 down. This is what I'm saying.

I never said Brady wasn't one of the greats, he's in the top 5 of any greatest QB conversation at minimum. All I'm saying is he's not #1.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

As a Jets fan, I refuse to recognize Marino except with scorn and deep hatred, but this is a great post.

Colasante

What happens if Lockette makes that catch? I think you know what happens, it's fairly obvious.

Now tell me what happens if Danny White doesn't fumble the ball.
You can't.

I feel like you're just trying to troll people right now, because if you're legitimately trying to make a rational argument, you're embarrassing yourself.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

By this logic Montana was merely average compared to the others. Nobody legitimately believes Marino is better than Montana.

Top Bottom