• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
And then he signs a 1 year deal with the pats.

Jets are going to be forced to overpay him not because they want him but because Idzik was so cheap.

If the choices are keep him at 10.5 mil and give up a 4th round pick or cutting him then there really isnt much of a choice. Honestly hope they just cut him no matter what because of the draft pick.

Tom Penny

Resign: Darrelle Revis, Devin McCourty, Stephen Gostkowski, Dan Connolly, Alan Branch, Jonathan Casillas
Lose: Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley, Akeem Ayers

Seems accurate. I'm assuming somebody will throw a decent contract and Vereen and he will take it. I don't blame him. RB's have to get money when they can.

Would be happy for Denver to keep Knighton but they can let Julius leave, seems a bit soft and that guy doesn't seem interested in blocking much. Should probably let Welker go, he should retire because of concussion issues. I think it's a no brainer they keep DT. I love it that we still have plenty of cap, though sadly it's gonna be eaten up in a hurry.
Yeah I'd like to see Julius and Welker go. It's a shame that Welker became so insignificant in our offense.

Godslay

Banned
Revis has the cards in this one.

Wait it out, and not renegotiate. 25 million dollars assuming Pats pick up that option.

Wait it out, Pats don't pick up option. Teams with decent cap compete for his services. Similar payday. Pats at a disadvantage moneywise.

Renegotiate with Pats, less money, chance to win. Never sees market.

Depends on if Revis wants to renegotiate initially. If they can't agree, then the Pats have to pick up that option by March 9th. Triggers $25 million cap hit if they do. Otherwise free market.

Not really sure what happens. Seemed happy to win, but Revis always seems to go where it is financially the best situation for him.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Tom Penny

Moss doesn't have any rings. By your own standards that disqualifies him. I'm sure you're trolling though.

Montana won two rings without Rice. Elite WR have never been needed to win a title. Even in a passing league now nearly all the best ones the last decade or so are ringless.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The real end to deflategate is that everyone is going to forget that Indy's coaching staff might be the worst in the league at game planning.

EDIT: Also that Baltimore had a good plan to slander the Patriots but totally flubbed the execution.

Jaguars have roughly $60 million in cap space.

Jaguars Resign:

DT - Tyson Alualu
LB - J.T. Thomas
HB - Jordan Todman

Jaguars Cut or Restructure:

TE - Marcedes Lewis
LB - Paul Posluszny

Jaguars Targets:

WR Torrey Smith - My first 2 choices are Cobb and Maclin, but I don't think they will make it to free agency.
RT Bryan Bulaga
MLB Brandon Spikes
CB Byron Maxwell

Jaguars Draft:

1st Round - DE Randy Gregory
2nd Round - TE Maxx Williams

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Yeah I would guess so? Seems like a perfect fit with Rex.

Was he dirt cheap? Somebody was going to give him another shot. I don't follow the Rex thing though--you're saying Rex doesn't care about character/encourages these types? I agree to the extent that the Jets seemed like undisciplined fucks plenty of times on the field.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The cameras and the operators were so horrible back then.

Honestly? The NFL took two major step forwards in their camera work both times because of inferior competition having great ideas on how to do it better. The USFL and believe it or not, the XFL.

ShaneB

Mentioned in the reading thread, but Al Michaels book certainly gets a big recommendation from me, lots of great stories.

Godslay

Banned
Montana won two rings without Rice. Elite WR have never been needed to win a title. Even in a passing league now nearly all the best one the last decade or so are ringless.

So the judgment criteria is whatever we determine it to be based on the position?

A QB has to be rings and stats?

Everyone else is just stats?

I understand that in general the QB is more valuable a position, but it's still a team game as displayed by QBs that have won it in the past.

I guess actual production is less valued than team success. Somewhat strange when determining the actual best at a position. Weird double standard.

I can buy the rings + stats > stats alone in the NBA. The value of an individual is greatly inflated in that situation. Therefore we can see that a superstar will have a disproportionate effect on championship runs. In the NFL even with an elite passer, the balance is shifted to the team as whole. Especially in the post-season where typically the more balanced teams survive and less balanced teams do not.

It's perfectly displayed by both Elway's and Brady's careers. Elway carried poor teams to the early Superbowls and they were promptly dismantled. When an actual balanced team was built around him, they broke through despite Elway playing the role of a semi-elite game manager.

Same for Brady. Early on he was basically an semi-elite game manager. Team won 3 Spygate era SBs. Fast forward to the losses and they were less balanced (Brady became elite in this time period thanks to Moss), and dismantled by a more balanced, less talented team. They won it this year with Brady having Stafford level stats, and being a more balanced team as a whole.

I guess if one wants to give Brady the GOAT status on that, that's fine with me. If you want to say who is the better QB at the position based on production at the postion, an argument can be made otherwise.

Most people don't differentiate the two. Which is fine.

Bread

Banned
Revis has the cards in this one.

Wait it out, and not renegotiate. 25 million dollars assuming Pats pick up that option.

Wait it out, Pats don't pick up option. Teams with decent cap compete for his services. Similar payday. Pats at a disadvantage moneywise.
Damn
Renegotiate with Pats, less money, chance to win. Never sees market.

Depends on if Revis wants to renegotiate initially. If they can't agree, then the Pats have to pick up that option by March 9th. Triggers $25 million cap hit if they do. Otherwise free market.

Not really sure what happens. Seemed happy to win, but Revis always seems to go where it is financially the best situation for him.

Will be interesting to see what happens.
It comes down to money or rings, like last off season. Hopefully this win didn't satisfy his desire for titles, I'd love to have him back
and see him go to the hall of fame in a Pats jersey to see Jets fans reactions.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Revis chased the money his entire career and did a better job than most.

He did sound real glad all season to be here though.

Godslay

Banned
It comes down to money or rings, like last off season. Hopefully this win didn't satisfy his desire for titles, I'd love to have him back
and see him go to the hall of fame in a Pats jersey to see Jets fans reactions.

Would have to be a Jet. Peyton should go in as a Colt, same situation.

Godslay

Banned
Peyton with the Colts is different from Revis and the Jets I would say. Peyton was the entire Colts franchise.

If Revis stays and plays the rest of his career in NE, he could go down a Pat.

That assumes that he stays. As of now, his playing career is based in NY. He established himself there, and the bulk of his accolades are based there. He's played one good year with the Pats. Currently, not much of an argument in my opinion.

MechDX

Thought of the day - What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive! - Sir Walter Scott--Jim Harbaugh Twitter

Top Bottom