• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

Wore a suit

I mean, look at this shit

jack-del-rio.jpg

You can't tell me that's not the spitting image of Tom Landry

What a terrible suit. Though I guess it's fitting that the head coach of the Jags would dress like he's going to a funeral.

Max Henson ‏@PanthersMax 39s40 seconds ago
Rookie WR Kelvin Benjamin was very critical of his 1st season. "I feel like I had a bad season." Says a lot about who he expects to become.

I was a little mad he spit in Michael Bennett face yesterday, but Michael said he apologize for it afterwards. Which is really good to see from a young kid, he was wiling to own up to his mistakes. The worst players are the ones that are talented but oblivious to everything. ...(Suh!!!)

Narag

Probably was told you can resign and hold your head high and say you're not retiring and you're open to new positions or be fired. I wish Colbert would follow

That's rough. Glad how Arians worked out at least, not so much for how it benefited Indy but for him getting another chance at it all when he was ready to walk away.

Except your post about Evans...

And you guys seemed pretty happy with "played okay" and "belonged on the same field with them".

"Hell of a season", right?

This was a rebuilding year for the Panthers and we still made the playoffs and fought against the defending champions at their place. A few more plays go our way and we can win that game.

I repeat, this will be the worst Panthers team for a while. Bow down to your new overlords.

Smh look at all this NFC south thuggery

Kave I thought you had this thread under control?

This is how we get down bro and there's nothing the cat can do.

Ain't shit sweet down here.

Syrinx

This was a rebuilding year for the Panthers and we still made the playoffs and fought against the defending champions at their place. A few more plays go our way and we can win that game.

I repeat, this will be the worst Panthers team for a while. Bow down to your new overlords.

This is how we get down bro and there's nothing the cat can do.

Ain't shit sweet down here.
Who the hell else but the Panthers goes through rebuilding the year AFTER going 12-4?

At least Mike Shula solidified his job for next season.

Who the hell else but the Panthers goes through rebuilding the year AFTER going 12-4?

Every one who paid attention to the Panthers last year knew that the record was smoke and mirrors.

Fluky wins galore (like when they fumbled the ball twice on the last drive against SF and only won by a point, or when Kuechly interfered on Gronkowski against the Patriots) and a defense that played historically well, well above the sum of its parts IMO (no team with a starting secondary consisting of Mike Mitchell, Captain Munnerlyn, Quinton Mikell, and Melvin White) has any business playing defense nearly as well as that one, and an easy schedule.

Their fraudness was cemented when they got exposed by the Niners in the playoffs.

Fast forward to this year when they lose 5 starting offensive linemen, three key wide receivers, their best pass rusher, and the only returner on the team worth a damn amidst a cap-strapped free agency and yeah I'd say it was rebuilding year.

8 rookies started in the game yesterday. Half of the starters weren't even on the 12-4 team.

Syrinx

Every one who paid attention to the Panthers last year knew that the record was smoke and mirrors.

Fluky wins galore (like when they fumbled the ball twice on the last drive against SF and only won by a point, or when Kuechly interfered on Gronkowski against the Patriots) and a defense that played historically well, well above the sum of its parts IMO (no team with a starting secondary consisting of Mike Mitchell, Captain Munnerlyn, Quinton Mikell, and Melvin White) has any business playing defense nearly as well as that one, and an easy schedule.

Their fraudness was cemented when they got exposed by the Niners in the playoffs.

Fast forward to this year when they lose 5 starting offensive linemen, three key wide receivers, their best pass rusher, and the only returner on the team worth a damn amidst a cap-strapped free agency and yeah I'd say it was rebuilding year.

8 rookies started in the game yesterday. Half of the starters weren't even on the 12-4 team.

When do have have to open the checkbook and pay Cam?

jakncoke

Banned
That's rough. Glad how Arians worked out at least, not so much for how it benefited Indy but for him getting another chance at it all when he was ready to walk away.

It is , a lot of people wanna pile on him and say he too old for the game but if the GM is giving you turds how can you run your D. Some might say well adapt. But looking at the numbers why adapt when he basically been top 5 all his career as a coordinator. Colbert been failing us and whomever ever has had voices in contracts and draft picks and i guess you could say we have failed to develop as well

Tamanon

Banned
Welcome Cowboys fans! Sure seemed like there were a bunch of you in the playoff thread. I expect just as many here!

You and the Lions fans can have drinks.

I still don't understand how he got the job to begin with. The Panthers were in a ridiculous tail spin under his watch.

They had one bad season with John Fox as the coach and that was with one of most talent-deficient rosters put on a NFL football field in ten years. The starting QBs were Matt Moore, Jimmy Clausen, and Brian St. Pierre. Think about that.

I wouldn't exactly call it a ridiculous tailspin. I mean the man did take them to their first SB.

But, for the Broncos with one of the greatest QBs of all time, the expectations have to be higher. And I'm not sure he's the man to take them to that Super Bowl win that Elway demands.

I'd like to see some analysis of college QBs success rate in the NFL when their college WR teammates end up being successful in the NFL.

Like, did Mike Evans make Johnny Manziel? Did Josh Gordon and Terrance Williams make IRGIII? I wonder what the success rate of top college QBs are when their college weapons were only average.

Jarnet87

Knowing Evans put up those numbers with McCown throwing to him makes me feel good.

They can only get better!

lets just hope he doesn't fall victim to the 2nd year curse. Every couple years we get a talented player on offense who has an amazing rookie season and then he disappears. Clayton, Mike Williams, Cadillac Williams, Martin.

Tamanon

Banned
I'd like to see some analysis of college QBs success rate in the NFL when their college WR teammates end up being successful in the NFL.

Like, did Mike Evans make Johnny Manziel? Did Josh Gordon and Terrance Williams make IRGIII? I wonder what the success rate of top college QBs are when their college weapons were only average.

Mike Evans absolutely made Manziel. He was playing the role of Calvin Johnson in college, just catching all the balls thrown up into triple coverage. Saw that in almost every A&M game, and main reason I wanted the Jags to avoid Manziel.

I expect Murray to be gone

Resign dez no matter what

get some god damn defense.

Garret will be back, hopefully linehan and marinelli return

Callahan is gone for sure, I think the ghost of monte kiffin still roams the halls

Heysoos

I'd be happy if we could keep Murray, but it'd have to be a good price. Otherwise I won't be too sad if he's gone. We desperately need some pass rush though, we just have had zero pressure on QBs all season long, I knew it was only a matter of time before it bit us in the ass. Was so frustrating to watch Rodgers completely hobbled up, limping around the field, while our defense couldn't lay a finger on him outside of two or three plays.

Mike Evans absolutely made Manziel. He was playing the role of Calvin Johnson in college, just catching all the balls thrown up into triple coverage. Saw that in almost every A&M game, and main reason I wanted the Jags to avoid Manziel.

I fully believe that. I'm interested in the correlation of QB success to talent around them in college. QBs like Romo, Warner, Roethlisberger,
Flacco
all came from small schools, where their own talent had to carry them. I don't remember the college teammates of Russell Wilson, or Brady, or Brees, but I bet there wasn't a ton of receiving talent. On the other hand, QB flops may have had more NFL caliber targets. Wasn't Gabbert throwing to Maclin in college? I don't know shit, I'm just hypothesizing here.

Could be a good sign for Bortles though!

I fully believe that. I'm interested in the correlation of QB success to talent around them in college. QBs like Romo, Warner, Roethlisberger,
Flacco
all came from small schools, where their own talent had to carry them. I don't remember the college teammates of Russell Wilson, or Brady, or Brees, but I bet there wasn't a ton of receiving talent. On the other hand, QB flops may have had more NFL caliber targets. Wasn't Gabbert throwing to Maclin in college? I don't know shit, I'm just hypothesizing here.

He can't be worse then Gabbert, and if we get a somewhat okay O-Line he might be able to play decent/well.

Flacco

I'm more interested in how fast QB recognize plays/coverages. If you go back and watch Gurden's QB camp crap on ESPN guys like Luck/Wilson just knew every play. And even more so on Russell he knew the term of the play for different systems. Same exact plays but they obviously have different names (like Zeus/Jupiter same guy different name) in different systems and he just knew right off the top of his head everyone's job on X play.

Then you watch Gruden's camp with other guys like RG3 he's basically talking about snapping fast, and he just explains the play like what's happening which isn't really hard because we can see it. The other two explaining everyone's job on the play and what is going to happen rather than going over what already happened.

Farooq

Banned
I'm more interested in how fast QB recognize plays/coverages. If you go back and watch Gurden's QB camp crap on ESPN guys like Luck/Wilson just knew every play. And even more so on Russell he knew the term of the play for different systems. Same exact plays but they obviously have different names (like Zeus/Jupiter same guy different name) in different systems and he just knew right off the top of his head everyone's job on X play.

Then you watch Gruden's camp with other guys like RG3 he's basically talking about snapping fast, and he just explains the play like what's happening which isn't really hard because we can see it. The other two explaining everyone's job on the play and what is going to happen rather than going over what already happened.

A lot of NFL coaches say QB prospects screw themselves by going to schools that run spread systems. Hard to develop in those type of systems when it doesn't require you make make "NFL type throws" (throws with anticipation and timing) and understanding pro route concepts.

A lot of NFL coaches say QB prospects screw themselves by going to schools that run spread systems. Hard to develop in those type of systems when it doesn't require you make make "NFL type throws" (throws with anticipation and timing) and understanding pro route concepts.

Yea they just want to win.

On Gurden's camp with Russell something that I noticed. Gurden basically ask Russell do you like throwing against the blitz? Of course being the young kid that Russell is he said yea I love it because that means someone has 1v1. And of course Gurden basically says don't you think they know that you know that? And he just had this look like "Oh shit you're right."

Gurden basically told him man you're going to beat the blitz in college because it's college but if you do that shit in the NFL it's a pick 6. Derrick Brooks made a career out of it, and Russell just has this deer in the headlights moment like my god Gurden's right.

I know I'm just guessing, but I honestly believe that what made him so careful the first two years, he knows they (the defense) aren't stupid and he rather throw the ball away then risk it on these 50/50 looks (where defense disguise things and it seems like you have a man open but someone is waiting to jump the route, exactly what happened to Cam last night. Kam C. even said it that he saw Cam was pressured, and KNEW that he had to get of it quick so there was no where else for Cam to go which lead to the Kam pick 6). And over this year you can see Russell finally starting to throw against the blitz more because I think he starting to finally see what are real, and what are disguises.

Top Bottom