• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

RBH

sjithhtr40y7wqxr6cku.jpg

Though FOX didn't give us the Chris Christie reaction shots we desired for the Cowboys-Packers game, Andy Manis of NJ.com snapped a photo of Jerry Jones's suite at Lambeau Field, reportedly as Dez Bryant made his fourth-down catch (that was overturned after review). The lower row featured some perfect faces, too.

It'll be interesting to see what Peyton does. He's not getting younger, and these cold weather games just appear to sap what little arm strength he has left.

squicken

I fully believe that. I'm interested in the correlation of QB success to talent around them in college. QBs like Romo, Warner, Roethlisberger,
Flacco
all came from small schools, where their own talent had to carry them. I don't remember the college teammates of Russell Wilson, or Brady, or Brees, but I bet there wasn't a ton of receiving talent. On the other hand, QB flops may have had more NFL caliber targets. Wasn't Gabbert throwing to Maclin in college? I don't know shit, I'm just hypothesizing here.

Could be a good sign for Bortles though!

I believed in Eli and Cutler (uhhh) b/c they made awful programs relevant during their tenure

RBH

The realization first struck Rex Ryan just past 10 o'clock Saturday morning.

He wanted to be the next Falcons head coach for a million reasons, but rumors and a cold silence from the people that he hit it off with just days earlier made it impossible for him to separate fact from fiction.

He thought he had the Atlanta job seven years ago before losing out.

F-- it, he thought now. He wasn't going to be played for a fool again.

Ryan called the 49ers later in the morning to find out if they had any intention of bringing him back for a second interview, but confusion over the Falcons' job stung him most, according to sources.

The Bills had embraced him from the first interview last Thursday. It was the third gig on his pecking order, but none of that mattered anymore.

"They made him feel wanted," a source said.

Ryan wasn't going to wait on the Falcons, so he flew from Morristown, NJ, to Florida Saturday afternoon to meet with Bills brass at new owners Terry and Kim Pegula's home before finalizing a 5-year, $27.5 million deal Sunday to become the next Bills head coach, according to sources.

He wants to bring aboard several Jets assistants, including defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman, and former 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman.

Friends had advised Ryan to keep a level head and not make any rash decisions on Saturday. Wait 24 hours. Give the Falcons one final chance.

"If they ain't gonna call," Ryan told friends, "I'm going to go for it."

The Falcons never scheduled a second interview, paving the way for the first coaching domino to fall this offseason.

Ryan, an eternal optimistic, was confused in the aftermath of what he believed was a productive five-hour interview with Falcons president Rich McKay, general manager Thomas Dimitroff and assistant GM Scott Pioli last Tuesday. Owner Arthur Blank left the meeting early to attend to his ailing mother.

Blank's personal circumstances struck a chord with Ryan, who reached out to the owner's assistant, Dimitroff and Pioli Wednesday night to offer condolences after Molly Blank died.

Ryan would have cancelled his trip to Buffalo Thursday morning if the Falcons committed to bringing him back for a second sit-down, according to sources, but there was hesitation on the team's part.

Whispers about strong interest in Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who had a history with former Bill Belichick disciples Dimitroff and Pioli, irked him. (Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles impressed the Falcons brass in a five-hour session Saturday).

Ryan didn't harbor any ill will toward Dimitroff after getting snubbed in 2008. "I'm going to take it out on the rest of the league," he thought at the time before landing the Jets job a year later.

The past was the past. No hard feelings. He was ready to build a winner with Dimitroff, Pioli and Blank. Let's fix the defense fast, flip this thing and win the **** championship, he told them.

With the Bills coming on strong, Rex Ryan wasn't willing to wait on the Falcons or 49ers.
He already had the biggest piece to the puzzle in place: An established quarterback in Matt Ryan.

The charismatic coach would have been the ideal PSL pitchman for a $1.4 billion retractable-roof stadium scheduled to open in 2017. He would have also provided an element of toughness to the team that Blank desires.

Dimitroff told friends that he came away from the Tuesday interview with a favorable impression of Ryan. So, what was the hold up? Ryan didn't understand.

This was the right job at the right time for personal reasons too. His wife, Michelle, would have been a couple hours away from their son, Seth, a Clemson sophomore. The family has a house a few hours away in Tennessee.

Four days after the interview, Ryan just didn't believe that Dimitroff was in his corner, according to sources. He didn't want to be teased again only to miss out.

Ryan had tried to convince himself that television might be the way to go, but he was fooling himself. ESPN and CBS executives were impressed in meetings, but he made it clear that finding a head coaching job was his top priority.

He was a coach's son. Walking away from that, even temporarily, proved to be too difficult.

Ryan had waited so long for his first head coaching opportunity. There was no guarantee that he would get a second chance in 2016 or ever again if he went the TV route.

He also wanted to give his son a chance to coach with him like his dad, Buddy, did for him. He had learned more in those two seasons with the Cardinals than all his previous stops. "I want to do that for my son one day," Ryan told the News recently.

So, he couldn't pass up a head coaching opportunity.

He landed in Buffalo with a franchise that hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years with an eerily similar roster makeup as the Jets. Some believe Ryan is destined to fail without a quality quarterback and no 2015 first-round pick.

He understood all those challenges Saturday morning. He was going to make Buffalo a winner again. It wasn't anything he hadn't done before.

Ryan spoke with the same self-belief and pride that made him the toast of this town for years.

He will galvanize and inspire his new players like he did his old ones. He will inject life into an organization stained by the previous regime. He will sprinkle the place with positivity, because that's who the man is.

Rex Ryan made the choice that made sense for him. He got his second chance knowing full well that there likely won't be a third if he fails.

He can live with that.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...cons-led-rex-ryan-bills-job-article-1.2074037

yioV1.gif

Well looks like I got my ticket to this thread. Go any team besides the Pats.

Ya buddy, me too. :(

Rooting for the Colts now.

All of humanity are Colts fans.

If the Pats win next week I'm skipping the Super Bowl and going to see American Sniper. That movie looks good. After watching in stunned disbelief as the Ravens' DPI'd their way to a championship a couple years ago, I can't stomach the possibility of the Pats winning.

RBH

After reading that Rex Ryan article that I just posted, now I'm really thinking that Dimitroff/Blank/Pioli fucked this one up.

As much as I am a Peyton fan, if I were Elway I'd probably cut him and try to pick up some LBs and offensive linemen with the money. Pick up anybody a QB that is cheap or just use Brock.

If the Pats win next week I'm skipping the Super Bowl and going to see American Sniper. That movie looks good. After watching in stunned disbelief as the Ravens' DPI'd their way to a championship a couple years ago, I can't stomach the possibility of the Pats winning.

Yeah would probably not watch either. Just hope for a Seahawks beatdown.

Jarnet87

the Pats aint beating the Seahawks. Brady can't handle that defensive pressure.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Taking the Bills job...

I mean, it's a team with great pieces an no QB in the AFC East, so it's already a Rex Ryan team.

Man did the Falcons ever mess that one up.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I feel like cutting Peyton Manning is crazy. I think you make the playoffs with him next season no matter what.

Past next year? Ehhh....

I think you need a solid season showing significant regression from Manning before you move on.

Top Bottom