• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

I expect Murray to be gone

Resign dez no matter what

get some god damn defense.

Garret will be back, hopefully linehan and marinelli return

Callahan is gone for sure, I think the ghost of monte kiffin still roams the halls

I'd be happy if we could keep Murray, but it'd have to be a good price. Otherwise I won't be too sad if he's gone. We desperately need some pass rush though, we just have had zero pressure on QBs all season long, I knew it was only a matter of time before it bit us in the ass. Was so frustrating to watch Rodgers completely hobbled up, limping around the field, while our defense couldn't lay a finger on him outside of two or three plays.

With Romo's health and age, you gotta get a competent backup QB in there as well. Wheeden is not gonna cut it.

When do have have to open the checkbook and pay Cam?

The Panthers exercised the team option on his rookie deal, so he's under contract next year for $14.6 million.

Like I said, this will be the worst Panthers team in terms of talent in a while. There is a lot of young talent that will continue to grow, and they'll have increased cap flexibility this year to add more pieces, such as another playmaker for Cam. That means that it's ultimately going to be put up or shut up time for him.

To be worthy of the kind of money he's going to ask for, I don't think the QB necessarily has to be the singularly dominant force who puts the team on his back and drags them to victory, but I do think he has to be a guy to where you can absolutely succeed as a football team if you put the talent around him. Andy Dalton has the talent around him and continues to fail. Cam Newton will have the talent around him in the next few years to succeed. Will he do it? I don't know.

I do think they end up resigning him, because as inconsistent as he is, having a known commodity who you know is capable of winning at least some games is a much better place to be in today's NFL than playing the draft lottery and hoping you don't come up bust or relying on a dodgy FA market. It's such a QB league and not having one can be an awful proposition for a franchise. Look at the QBs that made the playoffs this year. Rodgers, Wilson, Luck, Brady, Manning, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Romo, Stafford, Dalton, and Newton are all upper half QBs in the league.

Keep in mind that we will have to pay Luke Kuechly in the next few years as well, and it's a much easier bill to justify for him. You just don't let elite LBs with his level of production go.

NolbertoS

Man, I was hoping for a Cowboys/Seattle rematch to get rid of whatifs. Thought that call was uhmm, "interesting" but then rules. I think Dallas should retain Murray as he had a great year. Romo is getting banged up and ain't getting younger, maybe start looking for his replacement. Need a better d-line, for sure. Couldn't get anywhere close to Rodgers this game. Stuff to think about.

tmdorsey

https://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/554335945680769024

7775%20-%20Dancing%20Raw%20autoplay_gif%20gif%20microphone%20suit%20vince_mcmahon%20wwe.gif

We need to quit messing around and just offer Bowles the job.

The defense played well considering all their injuries. The real tough thing for Cowboy fans to stomach is going to be that they got a full, elite level season from Romo at his age and with his injury history. I'm not sure you can count on him to replicate it. This might have been their best chance from that regard. That and DeMarco was ran into the ground this season so he'll probably regress big time next year.

I really felt like this was our year. Maybe we don't win it but I liked our chances against Seattle (we match up well) but I would have been worried only against the Pats.

This was a magical season imo and the Cowboys smashed my expectations. Its going to be tough when Romo can't play anymore and that is fast approaching. I don't think we will find a better QB for a long time unless we get luck in a bottle in the draft but thats doubtful.

Murray can go, I really don't care, hell I was yelling at Garrett to put Randle in throughout the game. Murray isn't worth what he thinks he deserves.

While the O-line was our foundation they still have issues allowing back to back sacks and letting too much pressure on Romo in critical plays. Doug Free is a huge asset though and a difference maker. Can't be too hard on them though.

I really have no clue how good we will be next season, I felt this was the time. What a crappy way to end the season.

I'm surprise that so many Dallas feel like Murray is meh. Man he was a beast this year and won you guys so many games. He was the reason Romo was like 20th in passing attempts.

The defense played well considering all their injuries. The real tough thing for Cowboy fans to stomach is going to be that they got a full, elite level season from Romo at his age and with his injury history. I'm not sure you can count on him to replicate it. This might have been their best chance from that regard. That and DeMarco was ran into the ground this season so he'll probably regress big time next year.

That's pretty much my stance on this, when we lost to the Vikings in the divisionals in 09 there was at least some hope because the team was still relatively young.

Witten is getting pretty up there as well and I don't think you can discount what he brings to this offense. Really bums me out that two of the best tight ends in the game won't get a ring in their career though.

I'm surprise that so many Dallas feel like Murray is meh. Man he was a beast this year and won you guys so many games. He was the reason Romo was like 20th in passing attempts.

Have you seen our other RBs? They do quite well.

What Dez does, however, is not replicable.

If it comes down to it, I hope they keep the coaches and Dez over Murray, who I wish all the best for, fumbles and all.

Bringing Demarco back at what would be the market rate just wouldn't be worth it. I'd rather go out and get that scumbag Suh with that money and roll with Randle. Maybe see if Peterson wants to come home and play for cheap-ish when the Vikebikes cut him.

Have you seen our other RBs? They do quite well.

What Dez does, however, is not replicable.

If it comes down to it, I hope they keep the coaches and Dez over Murray, who I wish all the best for, fumbles and all.

Yes you guys are America's game of the week every god damn week. Robert Turbin, and Christine Michael do well when Beast modes sit out too, but that doesn't mean I'm okay with us getting rid of Beast. I want the consistent RB that gives me 4-5 yards per pop, not one that can give me 12 yards then follow up with like 3 carries for 5.

The only knock I have on Murray are the fumbles, but I think that's fixable. Obviously I have different views being a Seahawk fan and we are a run first team where we run to set up the pass. I'm inclined to have more bias towards running, but I don't know I just really like Murray.

Ehh
Cowboys didn't win a single game where Romo didn't play well. He sucked against the Niners we lose. Sucked against the Skins, we lost. Eagles? Ditto. DIdn't play against the Cards. Another loss.

Meanwhile Demarco was poor down the stretch against the Eagles and Colts and that doesn't stop us from putting 40 points against them. Didn't do shit against the Lions either.

The reason that Cowboys have been able to stick with the run this year is that we've been really good on third and long so even Murray getting stuffed twice didn't matter.

rando14

Ehh
Cowboys didn't win a single game where Romo didn't play well. He sucked against the Niners we lose. Sucked against the Skins, we lost. Eagles? Ditto. DIdn't play against the Cards. Another loss.

Meanwhile Demarco was poor down the stretch against the Eagles and Colts and that doesn't stop us from putting 40 points against them. Didn't do shit against the Lions either.

The reason that Cowboys have been able to stick with the run this year is that we've been really good on third and long so even Murray getting stuffed twice didn't matter.

Dude was playing with a broken hand...

Ehh

I guess we just see it differently. I believe we were up 10-0 against you guys at home, if you guys didn't have Murray no way you guys win that game in my opinion. If you had to throw it? No way but yall kept it balance, forced Kam to move up even more and even with that ran the ball down our throats. If we could of dropped 7-8 every play as if you had no running game I think we pick Romo off like 2-3 times easy.

Bringing back an RB totally depends on market value and cap space. If Dallas can get him to re-sign with a cap-friendly deal, they should do it. As an opposing fan, he's way more scary than any other weapon they have (besides Dez).

But you just can't afford to tie up too much cap space for a RB. If the price is too high, let him walk. Odds are pretty good that he'll only have a few more elite seasons in his body anyway.

kmag

So all the Dallas Coaching staff are officially free agents now. Marinelli is going to TB as the DC supposedly.

RBH

With former New York Jets coach Rex Ryan out of the picture, Arizona defensive coordinator Todd Bowles has moved to the forefront of the Atlanta Falcons’ coaching search.

Bowles could be named the new coach as early as Wednesday.

Bowles interviewed with the Falcons on Saturday and is now considered the leading candidate to replace head coach Mike Smith. New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is expected to stay with the Patriots. Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is not available until at least after the NFC championship game and may not be available until after the Super Bowl. He is considered the leader for the New York Jets coaching vacancy.

Bowles has been on the Falcons’ radar from the outset of the coaching search, but couldn’t interview until the Cardinals were eliminated from the playoffs.

Bowles is believed to have a major supporter in the Falcons hierarchy in assistant general manager Scott Pioli, who’s father-in-law is Bill Parcells. Bowles worked for Parcells in Dallas and Miami.

Bowles could bring Arizona quarterback coach Freddie Kitchens or former Dallas Cowboys and Georgia Tech head coach Chan Gailey as his offensive coordinator.

The Falcons had a chance to watch Bowles up close when Arizona faced the Falcons in the Georgia Dome last season. It wasn’t a good day for his unit as the Falcons amassed 500 total yards in a 29-18 victory.
http://atlantafalcons.blog.ajc.com/...-picture-bowles-moves-to-forefront-of-search/

I just feel like Romo can't win if he has to throw the ball 35+ times a game. We saw that for a few years where they just went 8-8, 8-8 etc...

He had less passing attempt this year than Russell did. That's just my personal style of football. I like balance. Maybe 55-45 either way I'm okay with that. Run, run, short pass, run, play action pass just shit like that.

Heysoos

Bringing back an RB totally depends on market value and cap space. If Dallas can get him to re-sign with a cap-friendly deal, they should do it. As an opposing fan, he's way more scary than any other weapon they have (besides Dez).

But you just can't afford to tie up too much cap space for a RB. If the price is too high, let him walk. Odds are pretty good that he'll only have a few more elite seasons in his body anyway.

Yep. I'd absolutely love to have Murray back, but it'd have to be pretty cap friendly. It'll hurt if he goes, but it'd hurt more if we tie up so much space on him and forget fixing so many holes on our defense. Plus we're likely going to need a new defensive coordinator.

Hell, we might even be able to get AP on the cheap, didn't he say he wanted to be a Dallas Cowboy? With the whole child abuse thing, Cowboys might be able to pick him up. Doubt it, but who knows.

Jason La Canfora ‏ @ JasonLaCanfora 10m 10 minutes ago
Hearing the Bills will be announcing Greg Roman as their offensive coordinator shortly after officially naming Rex their head coach

kmag

Jason La Canfora ‏ @ JasonLaCanfora 10m 10 minutes ago
Hearing the Bills will be announcing Greg Roman as their offensive coordinator shortly after officially naming Rex their head coach

Yes Jason we know, everyone broke it before you as usual.

I guess we just see it differently. I believe we were up 10-0 against you guys at home, if you guys didn't have Murray no way you guys win that game in my opinion. If you had to throw it? No way but yall kept it balance, forced Kam to move up even more and even with that ran the ball down our throats. If we could of dropped 7-8 every play as if you had no running game I think we pick Romo off like 2-3 times easy.
Didn't have Murray or didn't stick to the run? Those are different things. In fact Cowboys scored on the next possession to make it 10-7 and Murray was a non-factor (Randle had a long run though). Then it was a one possession game for the whole game after that so we never needed to throw it.

Basically the decision to be made is how much of the success running the ball this season was Murray and how much was the O-line? It's not like Murray was working miracles out there. He had something like 1200 yards BEFORE contact this season. Even Trent truck might look decent here.

Didn't have Murray or didn't stick to the run? Those are different things. In fact Cowboys scored on the next possession to make it 10-7 and Murray was a non-factor (Randle had a long run though). Then it was a one possession game for the whole game after that so we never needed to throw it.

Basically the decision to be made is how much of the success running the ball this season was Murray and how much was the O-line? It's not like Murray was working miracles out there. He had something like 1200 yards BEFORE contact this season. Even Trent truck might look decent here.

I would have to go back and watch the game, but all I remember was Murray gashing us and making our D-Line tired as hell.

And of course it all ended at the 3rd and 20 where we couldn't get Romo to the ground. I feel like our guys would be so much more fresh (which they normally are in the 4th).

There has only been three games where I've seen our D look tired, and that was against you guys, against, KC, and against SD. SD was probably due to heat, and I feel like you guys and KC was because we couldn't stop the run.

I would have to go back and watch the game, but all I remember was Murray gashing us and making our D-Line tired as hell.

And of course it all ended at the 3rd and 20 where we couldn't get Romo to the ground. I feel like our guys would be so much more fresh (which they normally are in the 4th).

There has only been three games where I've seen our D look tired, and that was against you guys, against, KC, and against SD. SD was probably due to heat, and I feel like you guys and KC was because we couldn't stop the run.

Demarco didn't get going in that game until the second half. He was averaging 3 yards a carry and had less than 50 yards in the first half. Despite that Cowboys were already up by 7 going into halftime. Basically your defense got tired and only then did Murray start looking good.

RBH

We need to quit messing around and just offer Bowles the job.

I have a bad feeling that missing out on Rex (for the 2nd time) might prove to be one of those classic Falcons blunders that we may look back on and shake our head about a few years from now.

I hope I'm wrong, but I would've been really interested to see how Rex would've shaken things up in Atlanta.

Jarnet87

I like that we are bringing back guys in Tampa who were successful under Dungy, but we ain't improving anything without a massive overhaul on the defense. We've got McCoy and David and you could argue our starting corners are worth keeping, but that's about it.

Demarco didn't get going in that game until the second half. He was averaging 3 yards a carry and had less than 50 yards in the first half. Despite that Cowboys were already up by 7 going into halftime. Basically your defense got tired and only then did Murray start looking good.

I'll take your word for it. Man that was a weird game too many things that happen to us that never happen. Blowing double digit point lead.. and getting tried in the 2nd half where we usually excel in the 2nd half. We are a meh team in the 1st half usually, but that game was just a disaster.

Speaking of good QBs, the Panthers will play Ryan twice, Brees twice, Rodgers, Wilson, Luck, Romo, E. Manning next year.

EDIT:Not playing Peyton next year. Which based off of this game, is a shame

They won't be playing against Josh McClown twice. The NFC South just got a little tougher.

Which is counter-balanced by the Saints being submarined by their cap issues.

NFCS will be about the same. Panthers will win a few more games, Bucs will win a few more games, Falcons will be about the same, Saints are falling off.

MRSA

Banned

He's a good runner but he's not a special runner by any means. He has best offensive line in NFL and is always hurt.

Its pretty much like this now, draft RB in rounds 2-3 run them down on their rookie contract, draft replacement.

Top Bottom