• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

JaMarco

Patriots 2014 Postmortem

Season summary -

57431238.jpg

B71JRPhIgAEEzZH.jpg

20150120__p_EAG-Z-DeflatedBalls~1_500.jpg

LP-1180-2.jpg

PATSPATSPATS.0.gif

ibpscLhd4oKbpx.gif

GtfKDE2.gif

B8zwVnwCcAAP31x.jpg

tom-brady-4-rings.jpg

SKDDnjo.jpg

Offense -

Offense started off slow due to injured receivers and the Mankins trade, but after week 4 it was good to great the rest of the way.

Brady has been playing at the same level he's been at for the last few years, actually was a bit better this season in terms of mobility in and outside the pocket. He did seem to throw a lot of inexplicably horrible ints this year even though the overall volume of them wasn't high.

Gronkowski was back to his All-World self this year and he's the key to this offense being elite. Best TE of all time imo when healthy.

Julian Edelman was great again this year. He doesn't get wide open as consistently as Welker did in his prime during the regular season but he's a more explosive athlete which helps him be more effective against good defenses in the playoffs, which Welker wasn't really. He's also one of the best punt returners I've ever seen.

Brandon LaFell was a surprise great addition that gave them a decent outside WR threat for cheap. He's still not a true deep threat though.

Amendola had been beyond useless in NE up until about week 16 this year when he finally got healthy and provided a decent #3 WR receiving option.

Oline was a horror show up until week 5 when rookie C Bryan Stork solidified himself into the starting lineup and everything else fell into place pretty well. LT Solder sucked the first 5 weeks but I thought played good to great the rest of the way. RT Vollmer is a stud. Their guard play by Connolly/Wendell was passable but is in dire need of an upgrade.

After Ridley got hurt, Blount/Vereen held down the fort pretty well.

Offense should be even more explosive next year if Aaron Dobson gets healthy and provides a true deep threat. He showed promise his rookie year. I'm willing to bet their 1st round pick will be a guard.

Defense -

Best defense the Pats have had since 07, which isn't saying much in an of itself...

Once Brandon Browner came off suspension in week 7, their defense took off from there and played at a championship level the rest of the way. Except for the one stinker against Baltimore.

After a somewhat slow start, Darrelle took the league back Revis Island this year. Along with Browner, McCourty, and Chung(wtf, I know) playing at high levels, it's hard to throw on the Pats now. Particularly on 3rd down when they know you have to throw it. Pats opponents were 7-30 on 3rd down in the playoffs.

The biggest development was the emergence of Jamie Collins and Hightower at LB. They both broke out and played at a really high level this year. When Mayo comes back, this will be one of the best LB corps in the league.

They could use an upgrade over DE Ninkovich who I think is the most overrated player in Boston sports history. And I expect Malcolm "Asante Samuel 2.0" Butler to get a bigger role in the secondary going forward. Overall the Pats finally have a D that doesn't suck, yay! It's actually pretty good!

Spotlight - The 2014 Draft -

1 Dominique Easley DT:
Played just ok this year but I'm excited about his high potential. He's the DT version of Jamie Collins, could breakout next year if he adds weight and muscle this offseason.

2 Jimmy Garoppolo QB:
Wasn't huge on kinda wasting a pick on a QB, but has played well I guess in practice and in games.

4 Bryan Stork C:
Homerun pick as far as I'm concerned. Good starting caliber C that can run and pass block very well.

None of the other picks are anything special. RB James White could be a decent 3rd down back and big OT Cameron Fleming might switch to G next year and give us a stronger presence there.

What should/will happen this offseason -

Resign Revis to a long term extension. Reports out of Boston are that he loves it here and will take a bit of a hometown discount to stay. And the Krafts adore him. 0% chance this doesn't get worked out imo. Doing this in and of itself frees up a ton of cap space for them next year believe it or not.

Resign Devin McCourty to a long term extension. Is a team captain and Belichick loves him. If anything he'll get tagged

They basically just need to keep the team together, they don't really need to add much. Other key FAs are K Stephan Gostkowski, RB Shane Vereen, and DT Alan Branch. They should all easily be resigned once they restructure Mayo, Wilfork and/or cut Amendola and Kyle Arrington. Vereen could be gone if some team overpays him, in which case they could target another pass catching RB like Ahmad Bradshaw or CJ Spiller.

Summary -

This Pats dynasty is already one of the greats in the vein of the Steelers, Packers, 49ers, Cowboys dynasties, whether anyone now wants to admit it or not. Brady is already the best QB ever alongside Montana, whether anyone now wants to admit it or not. This dynasty is playing with house money now and any other chips they win from now on will be just gravy.

This could be a rough next 2 years or so for Patriots haters because the team already has a championship foundation on offense and defense and the arrow is pointing up on both. They have a great shot to repeat. If they're relatively healthy, they'll be big-time contenders for the next couple years at least.

We're on to 2015.

Patriots 2014 Postmortem

Season summary -

57431238.jpg

B71JRPhIgAEEzZH.jpg

20150120__p_EAG-Z-DeflatedBalls~1_500.jpg

LP-1180-2.jpg

PATSPATSPATS.0.gif

ibpscLhd4oKbpx.gif

GtfKDE2.gif

B8zwVnwCcAAP31x.jpg

tom-brady-4-rings.jpg

SKDDnjo.jpg

Offense -

Offense started off slow due to injured receivers and the Mankins trade, but after week 4 it was good to great the rest of the way.

Brady has been playing at the same level he's been at for the last few years, actually was a bit better this season in terms of mobility in the pocket. He did seem to throw a lot of inexplicably horrible ints this year even though the overall volume of them wasn't high.

Gronkowski was back to his All-World self this year and he's the key to this offense being elite. Best TE of all time imo when healthy.

Julian Edelman was great again this year. He doesn't get wide open as consistently as Welker did in his prime during the regular season but he's a more explosive athlete which helps him be more effective against good defenses in the playoffs, which Welker wasn't really. He's also one of the best punt returners I've ever seen.

Brandon LaFell was a surprise great addition that gave them a decent outside WR threat for cheap. He's still not a true deep threat though.

Amendola had been beyond useless in NE up until about week 16 this year when he finally got healthy and provided a decent #3 WR receiving option.

Oline was horror show up until week 5 when rookie C Bryan Stork solidified himself into the starting lineup and everything else fell into place pretty well. LT Solder sucked the first 5 weeks but I thought played good to great the rest of the way. RT Vollmer is a stud. Their guard play by Connolly/Wendell was passable but is in dire need of an upgrade.

After Ridley got hurt, Blount/Vereen held down the fort pretty well.

Offense should be even more explosive next year if Aaron Dobson gets healthy and provides a true deep threat. He showed promise his rookie year. I'm willing to bet their 1st round pick will be a guard.

Defense -

Best defense the Pats have had since 07, which isn't saying much in an of itself...

After Brandon Browner came off suspension in week 7, their defense took off from there and played at a championship level the rest of the way. Except for the one stinker against Baltimore.

After a somewhat slow start, Darrelle took the league back Revis Island this year. Along with Browner, McCourty, and Chung(wtf, I know) playing at high levels, it's hard to throw on the Pats now. Particularly on 3rd down when they know you have to throw it. Pats opponents were 7-30 on 3rd down in the playoffs.

The biggest development was the emergence of Jamie Collins and Hightower at LB. They both broke out and played at a really high level this year. When Mayo comes back, this will be one of the best LB corps in the league.

They could use an upgrade over DE Ninkovich who I think is the most overrated player in Boston sports history. And I expect Malcolm "Asante Samuel 2.0" Butler to get a bigger role in the secondary going forward. Overall, the Pats finally have a D that doesn't suck, yay! It's actually pretty good!

Spotlight - The 2014 Draft -

1 Dominique Easley DT:
Played just ok this year but I'm excited about his high potential. He's the DT version of Jamie Collins and could breakout next year if he adds weight and muscle this offseason.

2 Jimmy Garoppolo QB:
Wasn't huge on kinda wasting a pick on a QB, but has played well I guess in practice and in games.

4 Bryan Stork :
Homerun pick as far as I'm concerned. Good starting caliber C that can run and pass block very well.

None of the other picks are anything special. RB James White could be a decent 3rd down back and big OT Cameron Fleming might switch to G next year and give has a stronger presence there.

What should/will happen this offseason -

Resign Revis to a long term extension. Reports out of Boston are that he loves it here and will take a bit of a hometown discount to stay. And the Krafts adore him. 0% chance this doesn't get worked out imo. Doing this in and of itself frees up a ton of cap space for them next year believe it or not.

Resign Devin McCourty to a long term extension. Is a team captain and Belichick loves him. If anything he'll get tagged

They basically just need to keep the team together, they don't really need to add much. Other key FAs are K Stephan Gostkowski, RB Shane Vereen, and DT Alan Branch. They should all easily be resigned once they restructure Mayo, Wilfork and/or cut Amendola and Kyle Arrington. Vereen could be gone if some team overpays him, in which case they could target another pass catching RB like Ahmad Bradshaw or CJ Spiller.

Summary -

This Pats dynasty is already one of the greats in the vein of the Steelers, Packers, 49ers, Cowboys dynasties, whether anyone now wants to admit it or not. Brady is already the best QB ever alongside Montana, whether anyone now wants to admit it or not. This dynasty is playing with house money now and any other chips they win from now on will be just gravy.

This could be a rough next 2 years or so for Patriots haters because the team already has a championship foundation on offense and defense and the arrow is pointing up on both. They have a great shot to repeat. If they're relatively healthy, they'll be big-time contenders for the next couple years at least.

We're on to 2015.
This is great

bionic77

The Pats will forever be remembered as an organization of cheating cunts with asterisks and question marks surrounding all of their accomplishments whether anyone now wants to admit it or not.

Enjoyed a nice week long break from GAF.

On an unrelated note, joking about "thuggery" outside of this thread is something I'd advise against.

This post is remarkable for how ignorant it is.

Ignorant even for a defective like you.

I know you were asking about which teams you should root for in the cricket. Take a look at Out of the Ashes, a documentary crew followed the Afghan cricket team around for a couple of years as they tried to rise up the rankings and get a bit of respect.

Don't need to know anything about cricket because it focusses on the character rather than the sport and it's a pretty cool story. Afghanistan will almost certainly get hammered by everyone except Scotland but they seem like a bunch of awesome guys and it's hard to root against them. The team manager/coach chap in particular is fantastic.

Pats fans will root against them

Everyone should give it a watch tbh

bionic77

I know you were asking about which teams you should root for in the cricket. Take a look at Out of the Ashes, a documentary crew followed the Afghan cricket team around for a couple of years as they tried to rise up the rankings and get a bit of respect.

Don't need to know anything about cricket because it focusses on the character rather than the sport and it's a pretty cool story. Afghanistan will almost certainly get hammered by everyone except Scotland but they seem like a bunch of awesome guys and it's hard to root against them. The team manager/coach chap in particular is fantastic.

Pats fans will root against them

Everyone should give it a watch tbh
Team afghan it is!

Now to Wikipedia to understand the rules.

Respect

I think it is a done deal Vereen is gone. I am wondering if the Pats will just put their faith in James White to really breakout in his 2nd year or if they sign someone (guessing they will probably at least bring in a veteran 3rd down back on the cheap for training camp at the very least).

Also, I think the sooner they get the deal with Revis done the better...good feelings are still there after the SB win and may make getting a more "team friendly" deal done. The longer it takes, the higher his price is going to go I'm sure.

Tom Penny

I think it is a done deal Vereen is gone. I am wondering if the Pats will just put their faith in James White to really breakout in his 2nd year or if they sign someone (guessing they will probably at least bring in a veteran 3rd down back on the cheap for training camp at the very least).

Also, I think the sooner they get the deal with Revis done the better...good feelings are still there after the SB win and may make getting a more "team friendly" deal done. The longer it takes, the higher his price is going to go I'm sure.

It's not hard to get a 3rd down back. They probably won't be as good but a serviceable one is easily attainable.

Team afghan it is!

Now to Wikipedia to understand the rules.

The very basics:

• You can score 360 degrees around the field, no foul territory because cricket promotes freedom
  • The batsman (or batter, if you will) keeps playing until you get him out. If he just hit the ball out of the ground you don't get a go at the next guy in the lineup. If you can't get him out, tough shit.
  • If you are the batsman and you are out, you don't get another chance. You're the best player in the world and you're out on the first ball you face? Tough shit, you shouldn't have got out
  • Instead of crossing four bases for a run, both batsmen cross to the other set of stumps (those wooden sticks in the ground). Do this once, you get one run. Have time to run back to the other end before the throw gets there? Cool, you get two runs, or three if you're fast enough/the fielder is slow.
  • Hit the ball over the boundary in the air like a home run, you get six. If it crosses the boundary after bouncing like a ground rule double, you get four.
  • It's better than baseball

That's pretty much all you need to know, the other stuff is either not that important for the casual viewer or you'll pick it up if you watch a little bit.

n64coder

^^^^^ So who is that person holding the sign up?

Now that the Super Bowl is over, what is the off-season regiment for the players? Are they just on their own and don't have to do anything until Training Camp? Are they supposed to follow some off season program dictated by the team and do they ever check in or have meetings?

bionic77

The very basics:

• You can score 360 degrees around the field, no foul territory because cricket promotes freedom
  • The batsman (or batter, if you will) keeps playing until you get him out. If he just hit the ball out of the ground you don't get a go at the next guy in the lineup. If you can't get him out, tough shit.
  • If you are the batsman and you are out, you don't get another chance. You're the best player in the world and you're out on the first ball you face? Tough shit, you shouldn't have got out
  • Instead of crossing four bases for a run, both batsmen cross to the other set of stumps (those wooden sticks in the ground). Do this once, you get one run. Have time to run back to the other end before the throw gets there? Cool, you get two runs, or three if you're fast enough/the fielder is slow.
  • Hit the ball over the boundary in the air like a home run, you get six. If it crosses the boundary after bouncing like a ground rule double, you get four.
  • It's better than baseball

That's pretty much all you need to know, the other stuff is either not that important for the casual viewer or you'll pick it up if you watch a little bit.
Sounds a little too much like baseball (which is pretty horrible). Not so sure about this anymore!

BigAT

^^^^^ So who is that person holding the sign up?

Now that the Super Bowl is over, what is the off-season regiment for the players? Are they just on their own and don't have to do anything until Training Camp? Are they supposed to follow some off season program dictated by the team and do they ever check in or have meetings?

Players are essentially on their own for a few months now. I'm sure teams have training recommendations for their players, but nothing they can enforce. The first OTAs begin in May and even those are attendance optional for players. The first time players are actually required to do any offseason work is the mandatory minicamp in June.

Sounds a little too much like baseball (which is pretty horrible). Not so sure about this anymore!

Well, if I was to describe it to an American then yeah the easy comparison is baseball if you replaced the spitting and nut scratching with class and lunch breaks. And of course, cricket is great.

Sephzilla

Speaking of the Packers, I guess McCarthy is relinquishing play-calling duties, Tom Clements is going to become assistant head coach/play-caller, and Edgar Bennett will be the new offensive coordinator.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...om-clements-edgar-bennett-play-calling-duties

I like the sound of that.

McCarthy relinquishing play calling duties is a bonus for the Packers, in my opinion. I hope Clements is better at getting plays to Rodgers faster, I'm tired of seeing the huddle break with seemingly 10 seconds left on the play clock all the time.

ShaneB

I'll do a writeup for the Chiefs sometime. Doubt it'll be anything as extensive as some of the posts already, but just some general thoughts and assessments.

Monday made a little better when realizing I've got a 4 day weekend coming up. Good times.

"@TheMattyI: The reported framework is a 7 year, $105M contract extension with the first two years guaranteed, per Hyde. But again, it's fluid."

Regarding Tannehill, not sure I like the idea, would really want to see him play another year before signing him to a bigger/longer contact.

Kinda nice not to have to worry about drafting another QB though, at least for this year

Charges against Greg Hardy dismissed:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12300188/charges-vs-greg-hardy-carolina-panthers-tossed

Domestic violence charges against Carolina Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy have been dismissed, with his accuser not making herself available to help with the case, prosecutors announced Monday.

Hardy's appeal of the 2014 conviction was scheduled to begin Monday morning at the Mecklenburg County Courthouse.

Hardy left the courthouse without comment.

EDIT: Missed that this was posted. Oops.

Sephzilla

Packers 2014 Postmortem
  • Well, it was a loss to Seattle
  • Crap, are we not that good anymore?
  • RELAX
  • Hey, look, we're good again
  • Holy crap, are we actually this good?
  • LOL RESTORE THE ROAR
  • Sorry Dez, that wasn't a catch what so ever
  • Well, Seattle will probably crush us
  • God damnit McCarthy, what are you doing!?

Bread

Banned
Regarding Tannehill, not sure I like the idea, would really want to see him play another year before signing him to a bigger/longer contact.

Kinda nice not to have to worry about drafting another QB though, at least for this year
i agree, it is nice for the dolphins to not draft another QB

I said I was done with you people until the Combine but I'll post a quick note on Hardy.

As far as how the trial went, I'm not surprised. Do I think he did it? I know he's mentally unstable enough to do it and it wouldn't surprise me if he did. But at the same time, the accuser also made herself out to be cuckoo for cocoa puffs during the bench trial last summer. It doesn't surprise me that she decided to just take the money and run rather than be put through a jury trial now.

As for Hardy's football career, there is zero chance he comes back to the Panthers. He's not really in a position of bargaining strength and Getts could definitely get him to agree to a one year prove it deal hat has minimal ramifications on the cap, but there's no way Richardson would sign off on it. He thoroughly embarrassed the franchise and Richardson himself with his conduct and they are through giving him chances (yes I realize that the franchise and Richardson embarrassed themselves a bit with how slow and tonedeaf their response was last year but that's another issue for another time). But I do think the fact that he no longer has any legal roadblocks does clear the path for teams that may have not given him a look before to sign him.

As long as he doesn't go the Falcons I don't care where he ends up.

Top Bottom