• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

2014 NFL team postmortems are happening now! Don't miss out.

Arizona Cardinals
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens
Buffalo Bills
Carolina Panthers -
Chicago Bears
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns -
Dallas Cowboys
Denver Broncos - Godslay
Detroit Lions -
Green Bay Packers -
Houston Texans -
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Kansas City Chiefs
Miami Dolphins -
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots - Case
New Orleans Saints -
New York Giants -
New York Jets - bob_arctor
Oakland Raiders -
Philadelphia Eagles -
Pittsburgh Steelers - chuckddd
Saint Louis Rams -
San Diego Chargers
San Francisco 49ers -
Seattle Seahawks - cdyhybrid
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Syrinx
Tennessee Titans
Washington Redskins

You forgot mine:

I got this.
43xaoCT-1.jpg

zychi

Banned
do webms work on gaf?

cuz this is how i feel about the hooker talk

fivqzv.webm

e: finished the nes Zeldas yesterday. Gotta find a way to play the shitty cd-i games and I'll have beaten every US Zelda

Colasante

I'd love to see Greg Hardy in New England on a one year, prove it deal, but I think that's near impossible on a lot of different levels. He'll probably end up in Seattle somehow.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'd love to see Greg Hardy in New England on a one year, prove it deal, but I think that's near impossible on a lot of different levels. He'll probably end up in Seattle somehow.

I was thinking the same thing, would really help the pass rush especially if Easely could contribute in some way.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I like this new in your face Gata.

He's had to deal with everyone's shit about the Pats for the last couple years. It's his time now!

JaMarco

I was thinking the same thing, would really help the pass rush especially if Easely could contribute in some way.
As much as I love Hardy it's never gonna happen. It's not really necessary either, Hightower will be up rushing more next year with Mayo coming back.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
As much as I love Hardy it's never gonna happen. It's not really necessary either, Hightower will be up rushing more next year with Mayo coming back.

I know it's not happening it would've been amazing though. No guarantees on Mayo 1. who knows where he's at with that injury at his age, and 2. he still needs to be restructured.

Colasante

Another defensive end is necessary since Ninkovich isn't a dynamic pass rusher and Akeem Ayers is a free agent, but Hardy will likely be too expensive, even at his deflated value, and I don't think Robert Kraft would ever allow them to sign someone who abused women. Since their free agency focus will be on retaining their own, I'm guessing the third defensive end will come from the draft.

Colasante

Wouldn't Hardy be looking for a big pay day though?

He's fairly toxic at the moment, although that could be lessened by his charges being dropped today. He was in line for a humungous payday, but I think he'll take a one year, prove it deal to reestablish his value this season before he cashes out next offseason. That's why I think he'll look for a place like Seattle, New England, or Dallas where he can put up big numbers and remain relevant.

Colasante

This is really fascinating because there are teams that are sitting at the top of the draft, according to executives that I’ve talked to, who would believe that they would prefer to have Sam Bradford, who’s 27 and coming off basically missing the last year and a half of his career — that they would rather have then take a chance on, say, somebody like Marcus Mariota or Jamies Winston because they have seen what Bradford can do. One caveat to this is: is Bradford healthy or not coming off of two ACL surgeries? But the belief is: take a shot with Bradford and save your first round draft pick and take somebody else.

That's from Jason Cole. I can't believe any team would prefer Sam Bradford to Mariota and Winston. I just can't believe it.

Fox318

Jets 2014 Postmortem

Season Summary:

geno-smith-fumbles-against-titans.gif

The rest is just as simple:

Spend some $$$ to build a secondary
Draft Mariota if available (he won't be)
Another WR (or TE?? Amaro seemed solid, I'll let the more football informed on here judge that)
Get Kerley to produce like he did before the big contract.

The offense will be disfunctional again unless QB is somehow straightened out. Doesn't have to excel, just doesn't have to be a shitshow like above.

Let's see how we spend all that cap money.
They need some new lineman to protect the QB.

Also they should build a statue of idzik so fans could throw eggs at him.

JaMarco

Yeah I'd rather have Bradford and another elite prospect than just draft some other QB who might not even turn out any better than Brad.

eznark

Banned
Yeah I'd rather have Bradford and another elite prospect than just draft some other QB who might not even turn out better than Brad.

For sure. You probably get Bradford and at least two more picks. I'd do that deal in a heartbeat, especially if I am the Bucs who really are not all that far away from putting together a competitive team.

If Bradford weren't coming off a knee I'd agree wholeheartedly.

Even coming off the knee it's not hard to understand. He was having a top-10 season in 2013 until his knee gave out. He's a proven commodity, not a shot in the dark that you can develop him like a prospect is.

I fully understand the logic and I back it for the Bills. If the Rams don't resign him (doubtful) someone will pay him to be their franchise. Will it work out? Eh, knee injuries are historically flukey like that, so maybe.

bionic77

Hardy is going to get paid.

Not that my team could afford him, but I hope we are not the scumbags to sign him.

And si.com really does have some gorgeous sluts on their AM clicks page.

Colasante

I don't understand that logic. Sam Bradford is injury prone with low upside who hasn't performed well even when healthy. In terms of pure football talent, I would absolutely take Jameis Winston over him at this point and almost certainly Marcus Mariota as well. If all three were coming into the draft together, Bradford may be the pick, but to choose him over them now seems like a surefire disaster to me.

I don't understand that logic. Sam Bradford is injury prone with low upside who hasn't performed well even when healthy. In terms of pure football talent, I would absolutely take Jameis Winston over him at this point and almost certainly Marcus Mariota as well. If all three were coming into the draft together, Bradford may be the pick, but to choose him over them now seems like a surefire disaster to me.

He has absolutely performed well when healthy. 2013 was looking like a great season for him until he got hurt.

eznark

Banned

Think either of those guys will ever put up 60%/6%/2% like Bradford was doing in 2013? I don't. And look at the talent he was working with.

bionic77

Its a question of what unknown you want take a chance on.

Bradford knows how to play football but might be a cripple going forward.

The college players have upside but it is anyones guess if they can transition to the pro game. Especially Winston but honestly have my doubts about Mariota and almost every college qb coming out. Its such a crapshoot and it depends a lot on which coach and team they are going to.

The college players have upside but it is anyones guess if they can transition to the pro game. Especially Winston but honestly have my doubts about Mariota and almost every college qb coming out. Its such a crapshoot and it depends a lot on which coach and team they are going to.

Winston is absolutely more prepared, in terms of pure football acumen, than Mariota. His offense ran pro-concepts, he studied pro-reads. He understands pro terminology, and progressed through reads in college.

Mariota ran a gimmick offense that ran through his mobility. I'd be terrified of him in the pro's given his propensity to not take chances with the football. He just scares me as a prospect.

eznark

Banned
Winston is absolutely more prepared, in terms of pure football acumen, than Mariota. His offense ran pro-concepts, he studied pro-reads. He understands pro terminology, and progressed through reads in college.

Mariota ran a gimmick offense that ran through his mobility. I'd be terrified of him in the pro's given his propensity to not take chances with the football. He just scares me as a prospect.

Even if you buy that Winston is prepared (I think I do) he still is pretty careless with the ball in a lot of cases. 17 interceptions in college translates to what, 79 in the NFL? He might be good eventually but God damn he is careless. That's fine when you have FSU's defense, not when you have Tampa Bays.

Tabris

Broncos Post-Mortem:

The Good:

- Peyton Manning broke another record and has a couple more that are close to go.
- I was calling for John Fox and Jack Del Rio to be fired during the season multiple times. So cleaning house on the coaching staff was a nice sign. I don't know how I feel about Kubiak. I rather have had Rex Ryan.
- Defensive talent is there. They remind me of the pre-2011 49ers, i.e. just need a good coach. I don't know how I feel about Wade Phillips yet either. Not usually a fan of anything Cowboys related.
- CJ Anderson was a fantastic replacement for Moreno. Montee Ball backing him up should also help.

The Bad:

- John Fox was terrible. Terrible play calling. Needed to manage an injured Peyton Manning better.
- Jack Del Rio was even worse. All that talent and couldn't put together anything against top teams. They racked up stats on weaker teams but every single big game during the Manning era, Jack Del Rio called a bad game. Ravens playoffs, Superbowl, Colts playoffs, numerous games during regular season.
- O-Line was garbage this year. Peyton went to the Broncos because their O-Line was good. Peyton can still play as one of the top QBs when he's in perfect health.
- Wes Welker disappeared. Did the MDMA + concussions make him unable to handle anything but catching the ball on a punt return and running it for 5-10 yards?
- Julius Thomas also disappeared in second half of the season. At a time where a good Tight End would have made all the difference with a dip and dunk offence while Peyton was injured.

The Ugly:

- San Diego Chargers most likely cost Broncos a trip to the Superbowl by injuring Peyton Manning - Colts were weak and Patriots play terrible in post season against Mannings. I still do not understand why they didn't play Osweiler for 4 weeks for Peyton to recover for the playoffs. A wildcard vs divisional one and done is the same thing. I rather have risked having a wild card spot then have a QB with a torn fucking quad in the playoffs.

Even if you buy that Winston is prepared (I think I do) he still is pretty careless with the ball in a lot of cases. 17 interceptions in college translates to what, 79 in the NFL? He might be good eventually but God damn he is careless. That's fine when you have FSU's defense, not when you have Tampa Bays.

I don't see carelessness in his game, really. I see a kid that absolutely should go #1, he shares a lot of the same positive traits Teddy B had when I looked at him (mentally quick, smart decision maker, pocket awareness, command of the offense). I'd take him #1 and never look back. Mariota is just too much of an unknown variable to me to warrant taking him in the top ten. I just see more Colin Kaepernick.

bionic77

Bradford has missed 41 of a possible 93 games since being taken No. 1 overall in 2010.
He got all the injuries out of the way.

Now he is going to play the next 5 years without getting hurt!

I don't follow college football or root through others people garbage (the latter being the more interesting option). So I never pretend to know who is going to make it, but common sense shows how many busts we have almost every year. It is really hard to predict who is going to be able to play in the pros. Most of these guys can't. Even with all the rules changes. I am not sure if it is a coaching problem (either from college, the pros or both) or maybe just a lack of talent. But wouldn't surprise me if both guys are busts. Also wouldn't surprise me if both are still starting in 5 years.

If Winston falls to number 10, and we don't pick him up, I'm done being a Rams fan.

Winston, in every single area, looks superior to Bradford, who has shown what he is, and it was help our anemic offense actually do something. I'm less sold on Mariota, tho.

MechDX

No way in hell Winston falls to #10, none. Too many QB needy teams out there and the free agent QB class is pretty much garbage. Biggest concern with him is the off field nonsense especially with the whole Manziel fiasco fresh in everyone's mind.

Well fuck you too pal.

Bud, some of us live in Europe. You gotta understand my frustration when I woke up extra early to watch the game I recorded. And a person will indeed browse the internet during the countless dead moments in a game. But I literally avoided my phone with all the texts and updates (and that shit is so hard with that notification light blinking away), all sports websites and indeed the Off-Topic community on this website.

Surely nobody would post anything in the gaming side or regular off-topic forum about the game. Holy shit was I pissed off once I saw Kas' thread title.

Fuck you, Kas.

I don't follow college football or root through others people garbage (the latter being the more interesting option). So I never pretend to know who is going to make it, but common sense shows how many busts we have almost every year. It is really hard to predict who is going to be able to play in the pros. Most of these guys can't. Even with all the rules changes. I am not sure if it is a coaching problem (either from college, the pros or both) or maybe just a lack of talent. But wouldn't surprise me if both guys are busts. Also wouldn't surprise me if both are still starting in 5 years.

People say that the draft is a crap shoot but it's really not, people that know what they are doing hit far far more than they miss.

Teams that take a guy based on his college tape and think they can work around his measurables to give them a solid player hit 8/10 times (there are always misses, it's not a perfect science). Teams that panic and overdraft based on need (The browns took two raw, athletes that don't play their positions naturally because of need) hit 3/10 times based almost entirely on luck.

If you know what you're looking for in a prospect for your team and what your coaches want to do it's not a crap shoot in the slightest.

No way in hell Winston falls to #10, none. Too many QB needy teams out there and the free agent QB class is pretty much garbage. Biggest concern with him is the off field nonsense especially with the whole Manziel fiasco fresh in everyone's mind.

If he's not the #1 overall pick, SOMEONE will trade up for him. I guarantee that.

I think the Eagles trade mountains of picks to the Jets or to jump the Jets to land Mariota, personally.

MechDX

If he's not the #1 overall pick, SOMEONE will trade up for him. I guarantee that.

I think the Eagles trade mountains of picks to the Jets or to jump the Jets to land Mariota, personally.

Mortgaging your teams future for one player is just not a very smart move IMO. Unless that one player is someone like say Luck. Mariotta is not in the same league as Luck.

2014 NFL team postmortems are happening now! Don't miss out.

Arizona Cardinals
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens
Buffalo Bills
Carolina Panthers -
Chicago Bears
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns -
Dallas Cowboys
Denver Broncos - Godslay
Detroit Lions -
Green Bay Packers -
Houston Texans -
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Kansas City Chiefs
Miami Dolphins -
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots - Case
New Orleans Saints -
New York Giants -
New York Jets - bob_arctor
Oakland Raiders -
Philadelphia Eagles -
Pittsburgh Steelers - chuckddd
Saint Louis Rams -
San Diego Chargers
San Francisco 49ers -
Seattle Seahawks - cdyhybrid
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Syrinx
Tennessee Titans
Washington Redskins

Ravens WIP

Mortgaging your teams future for one player is just not a very smart move IMO. Unless that one player is someone like say Luck. Mariotta is not in the same league as Luck.

I never said it would be a smart decision, just said it's going to happen because the teams that need a QB make the same mistakes time and time again. It's why they don't have a QB.

JaMarco

People say that the draft is a crap shoot but it's really not, people that know what they are doing hit far far more than they miss.

Teams that take a guy based on his college tape and think they can work around his measurables to give them a solid player hit 8/10 times (there are always misses, it's not a perfect science). Teams that panic and overdraft based on need (The browns took two raw, athletes that don't play their positions naturally because of need) hit 3/10 times based almost entirely on luck.

If you know what you're looking for in a prospect for your team and what your coaches want to do it's not a crap shoot in the slightest.
For most positions that's true, but college QBs are absolutely a crapshoot.

Top Bottom