• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Jamal Lewis’ Super Bowl XLVII ring sold for $50,820 on Goldin Auctions.

Lewis is a former Ravens running back from 2000-2006, including a key member of the Super Bowl XXXV team.

He received a Super Bowl XLVII ring as a gift from Owner Steve Bisciotti because he’s a member of the team’s Ring of Honor.

On Monday, the Ravens released a statement on Lewis selling his ring:

“Jamal Lewis informed us that he was forced to sell the Super Bowl XLVII ring due to financial difficulties. We understand and respect his decision.”

Ravens 2014 Postmortem

Season summary -

The Ravens weathered a tumultuous offseason, went 10-6 and finished third in their division, returning to the playoffs after missing them for the first time in the John Harbaugh Era (Flacco Era, whatever). The season was up and down, with hope growing and being dashed on a weekly basis. Eventually, the fanbase was tricked into thinking they might be good, only to see them lose in the playoffs against an organization that has shown a looseness with the rules. And when I say that, I mean, the cheating ass Patriots cheated like a bunch of dishonest, classless cheating fucks.

Offense -

One word: Kubiak. Turned around the running game this year, making Justin Forsett into a pro bowler, Joe Flacco posted career highs in yards and TDs, Steve Smith Sr had a resurgence, and the Ravens had the 8th ranked Rushing, and 13th ranked Passing offense. And, oh yeah, he made our offense line into one of the best units in football. Marshall Yanda and Keleche Osemele were the best guard tandem in the league, and Ricky Wagner, who was going to be the weakspot going into the season, turned out to be one of the better right tackles this year (when healthy). It wasn’t all good though, as the Ravens lost Dennis Pitta, who was just signed to a new contract, to another hip injury, and he’s probably done for his career.

And now Kubes is gone. Along with, likely, Torrey Smith, Owen Daniels, and Jacoby Jones.

Defense -

Such a mixed bag. Ravens had 4th ranked Rushing D, 2nd most sacks, and the 23rd ranked Passing D. The good first….the front seven. Showed depth and ferocity and without the pass rush, that 23rd ranked pass D would have been last. Pernell McPhee, Terrell Suggs, and Elvis Dumervil all played strong, McPhee playing himself out of a Ravens jersey. CJ Moseley could have easily been the DROY and has filled Ray’s shoes admirably. Both Timmy Jernigan and Brandon Williams broke out, and helped weather the suspension of Haloti Ngata. They’ve also made him expendable.
Then, there was the secondary, which was indescribably bad. When you’re pining for the days of Dominique Franks, you got issues. Jimmy Smith was looking like an All-Pro caliber corner…..until he got injured. Lardarius Webb started injured and played like he was the whole year. Everyone else died. Or something. But in addition to Smith, the Ravens lost Asa Jackson (average Nickel CB), Aaron Ross, Danny Gorrer, Tremain Jacobs, and Terrance Brooks. Matt Elam and Darian Stewart didn’t get hurt, but they were terrible enough that it didn’t matter. Will Hill was the only bright spot, and he’s already kicking up some offseason trouble. We need him back though. In the end, the secondary completely ruined what could have been a great team. By the end of the year, we were starting Rashean Melvin, who couldn't hack it on the Bucs' Practice Squad, against Tom Brady in the playoffs, which is how this happens:

YVpZlgG.png

Ravens leader in INTs were CJ Mosley and Haloti Ngata, with 2.

Spotlight - The 2014 Draft -

In Ozzie we Trust

1. CJ Mosley, LB – Started all 16 games for the Ravens, nearly won DPOY, and looks like a defensive anchor for years to come.

2. Timmy Jernigan, DT – Part of a talented DL rotation, started in Ngata’s absence without any drop in productivity. Looking

3. Terrance Brooks, FS – Disappointment, but not a disaster. Got hurt too. Still salvageable.

4. Crocket Gillmore, TE – Started a few games, and was a solid #2 TE when forced into action.

5. Brent Urban, DT – Missed whole season

6. Lorenzo Taliaferro, RB – Made it into RB rotation until injured. Could be a potential starter next season if Forsett isn’t back

7. John Urschel , OL – Started a few games this season towards the end and performed well. Could end up being a solid back up.

8. Keith Wenning, QB – Spent season on practice squad, but could be replacing Tyrod as the backup QB.

9. Michael Campagnero, WR - Raven’s “scrappy” receiver got some action for a 7th rounder.

What should/will happen this offseason -

Change, and lots of it. Ravens have a nice core of young pieces to build around on the defense (Mosley, Jimmy Smith, B Williams, Jernigan, Will Hill) and some old pieces that are talented, but expensive. I expect to see Ngata forced to take a pay cut or be cut, and I’m hoping to see him back next year for less money. I’d love to see McPhee back next year, but he’s going to be pricey. Unlike Paul Kruger, Jameel McClain, Adalius Thomas, etc, I think McPhee is a real talent and is going to be worth the money he gets. I expect to see Ravens go secondary hard and fast in the draft next year, but with Ozzie, we just see best available.

On offense, we’re losing lots of receiving weapons. Torrey Smith, Owen Daniels, Justin Forsett, and Dennis PItta (due to injury) are likely not coming back. Ravens need to get younger on offense at the skill positions with the talent. I don’t want to see a WR core anchored by Steve Smith Sr. and complimented by Marlon Brown and Kamar Aiken. Brandon Marshall is a name linked to Trestman, but I expect to see another less big name, but still solid WR veteran cut come to Baltimore.

Summary -
Injuries in secondary completely destroyed season. Ravens have very little cap space, but they gotta do something. Next season could go either way, but if you know me at all, you know I’m not expecting good things.

Oh, and Suggs got some new teeth

18_SuggsFinishStronger_news_opt-1.jpg

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Thanks blarry.

Just for clarification, if you're writing a postmortem, you don't have to spotlight the draft. You can use that area for anything you want, like red-zone production or issues at a position or whatever.

jakncoke

Banned
So aaron curry now a dl coach for the college team charlotte 49ers, wonder if he'll ever make the pros at some point as a coach

bionic77

Suggs is like the evil alien version of Harrison.

Ravens defense is going to go down the toilet once he finally gets old (questionable when this will happen as he is not from this earth and perhaps his species has a longer lifespan).

It is just so hard to replace a dominant lineman or pass rusher.

ShaneB

Saw that story headline and meant to check it out, thought maybe he sold it for charity or something... hoped for a feel good story.

And this short sighted attitude is why the high end teams, the consistent playoff teams, make the post-season time and time again.

Because they have ownership that trusts the GM and the FO to make the right decisions. The Bills had a FO that was at war with it's own GM to take a QB to in the end we reached on a guy and it's caused a ripple effect that is still there, 3 years later. The draft isn't a crap shoot, teams just miss because instead of taking the best player they reach for a position of need.

People don't have patience anymore, fans aren't willing to wait and it's why teams like the Browns and Jags and Dolphins spend more than anybody else in FA every year instead of trying to rebuild slowly. They want to get really good really fast and that just doesn't work. You have to struggle and suck for a bit and get better slowly to sustain any kind of success.
Ever since Caldwell has taken over in Jacksonville, he has completely gutted the team. He's had 2 really good drafts and has $60 million in cap space. He is setting them up to be a long term success. Of course all of this depends on the development of Bortles.

Thanks blarry.

Just for clarification, if you're writing a postmortem, you don't have to spotlight the draft. You can use that area for anything you want, like red-zone production or issues at a position or whatever.

It was either highlight a draft full of successes, or talk more about how terrible our secondary was. I think I made the right decision.

Konka

Banned
Not surprising, people actually go to those games.

Also

And for good reason. Khan said that the Jaguars are expected to jump to 22nd in projected revenue for the 2015 season, up from 32nd when Khan bought the team in 2011. Playing one home game per year in London has helped that effort, because Wembley Stadium has more seats than EverBank Field and the ticket prices are higher in England.

Bessy67

So what's going on with the Packers' play calling situation? I've seen a couple things talking about McCarthy giving up play calling duties but it sounds like it could just all be speculation. Is there anything concrete yet?

MechDX

Was always jealous of the way NFL Films really escalated the mythos of the Raiders:

The Autumn Wind is a pirate
Blustering in from sea,
With a rollocking song, he sweeps along,
Swaggering boisterously.

His face is weather beaten.
He wears a hooded sash,
With a silver hat about his head,
And a bristling black mustache.

He growls as he storms the country,
A villain big and bold.
And the trees all shake and quiver and quake,
As he robs them of their gold.

The Autumn Wind is a raider,
Pillaging just for fun.
He'll knock you 'round and upside down,
And laugh when he's conquered and won.

So good.

WedgeX

Banned
Damn. In near four years of social work with two in foster care and two in mental health I've gone through seven co-workers who've been partnered up with me. Got dang.

MechDX

NFL Forms L.A. Committee

In the memo, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the forming of the “Committee on Los Angeles Opportunities,” consisting of owners Clark Hunt of Kansas City, Robert Kraft of New England, John Mara of the New York Giants, Bob McNair of Houston, Jerry Richardson of Carolina and Art Rooney of Pittsburgh.

The newly formed committee will “evaluate the various stadium options available in Los Angeles, oversee the application of the relocation guidelines in the event that one or more clubs seek to move to Los Angeles, ensure proper coordination with other standing committees … and confirm that all steps taken in Los Angeles are consistent with the Constitution and Bylaws and NFL policies.”

One key takeaway: Only two owners on the committee have never won a Superbowl. Put your money on Texans vs Panthers in the next couple years

ShaneB

Legendary. His films will live on forever by fans of the game.

Some of you life longs who have recently started posting here need to watch this and realize the league didn't start play in 2001.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d8214bedb/Ed-Sabol-s-last-film

Incredible video. Always seems like anything NFL Films puts together is always first rate stuff. RIP Ed, go make some films again now with Steve.

NFL owes a lot to him. Did a great job framing the sport's history. Hard to look back on one of those good seasons and not hear the matching NFL Films voice and soundtrack.

Yup, definitely a landmark style production that has influenced not just the NFL, but sports in general.

After I finish reading Alive, I may have to read this next and bump it up the queue.

51Ajxb4YL-L.jpg

Incredible video. Always seems like anything NFL Films puts together is always first rate stuff. RIP Ed, go make some films again now with Steve.

Yup, definitely a landmark style production that has influenced not just the NFL, but sports in general.

After I finish reading Alive I may have to read this next and bump it up the queue.

Andes? Did you see they found the plane a few days ago?

Colasante

Looking more into the free agency pool, I really hope the Patriots can find a way to bring Akeem Ayers back. With a full offseason in the program, I think they'd trust him more as a 3rd defensive end, which would lessen the need for that role in the draft.

I also hope that Stevan Ridley is able to net a decent payday, though I suspect he'll have to settle for a one year deal somewhere. I'd like to see him in Carolina, personally. I think Ridley and Jonathan Stewart would form a really solid duo.

ShaneB

Holy wall of text!

I saw that Shane!!

Knew I'd be too slow :(

Andes? Did you see they found the plane a few days ago?

I did not, will have to read up on that. Figure it's time I finally read the book after wondering why I haven't read it. Big fan of survival stories, and always loved the movie, so I figured I should at least read the book finally.

edit: Different plane! Crazy story regardless, dang.

Knew I'd be too slow :(

I did not, will have to read up on that. Figure it's time I finally read the book after wondering why I haven't read it. Big fan of survival stories, and always loved the movie, so I figured I should at least read the book finally.

edit: Different plane! Crazy story regardless, dang.

Wait really?? Damn I thought it was the same one, hows the book? I always loved that movie

Edit; Damn you're right different plane lol I should have finished reading the story

ShaneB

Wait really?? Damn I thought it was the same one, hows the book? I always loved that movie

Edit; Damn you're right different plane lol I should have finished reading the story

Book is good so far, only a couple chapters in as I started today. The plane crash was as hard to read as it always was to watch in the movie.

edit: That Dove Men 'Dad' commercial always makes me cry :*(

Top Bottom