• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

MechDX

I never said it would be a smart decision, just said it's going to happen because the teams that need a QB make the same mistakes time and time again. It's why they don't have a QB.

My bet is Cleveland trading both first rounders to grab Winston or Mariotta. Especially after Johnny gets out of rehab and goes on a coke binder in Vegas.

For most positions that's true, but college QBs are absolutely a crapshoot.

They aren't. They absolutely aren't. Blake Bortles and Manziel had huge footwork issues coming out of college, in the NFL their biggest weaknesses remained the footwork. If they had been allowed to sit (both teams had the plan to sit both for this year) and refine the problem they might have fared better this year. Though JFF has a lot more problems than just his footwork (pocket awareness, pocket movement, progression, timing reads) that can be clearly labeled as "bust, do not draft".

Meanwhile Teddy Bridgewater had none of those concerns, people knocked him down because he didn't fit the "ideal build" of a QB, he was too small, he wore gloves, he had a bad pro day.

People that miss on QB's are enamored by the higher ceiling while ignoring the fact that the floor is crumbling.

If he's not the #1 overall pick, SOMEONE will trade up for him. I guarantee that.

I think the Eagles trade mountains of picks to the Jets or to jump the Jets to land Mariota, personally.

I don't see them doing it personally. They have too many other areas they need to address. The only way I can see it happening if we see them making a bunch free agency moves to address the secondary. Two CBs and safety. I think Byron Maxwell ends up on the Eagles though. Eagles have the cap space to pay him and desperately need him. IF they can somehow address the secondary completely in free agency that is the only way they will attempt to go after Mariota.

I think the most they should put on the table for Mariota is Foles, 2015 first&second round picks, and a 2016 first round pick. If the Jests will take that for their pick and Mariota is there, that would be somewhat tempting.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I concur with prince.

It's only because teams keep reaching for qb's and then giving them unreasonable expectations. It's a vicious cycle. Some of these guys who've been overdrafted would be quality starters, imo, if they'd been picked in the third and developed on the bench. Instead, they're thrown into the fire, never correct their issues and have destroyed psyches.

I don't see them doing it personally. They have too many other areas they need to address. The only way I can see it happening if we see them making a bunch free agency moves to address the secondary. Two CBs and safety. I think Byron Maxwell ends up on the Eagles though. Eagles have the cap space to pay him and desperately need him. IF they can somehow address the secondary completely in free agency that is the only way they will attempt to go after Mariota.

I just think Chip has already passed from Foles and wants a guy he knows can run "his" offense. It's why there was a power struggle a few weeks ago where Chip took total control over personnel decisions. I think your original FO thought like you do but Chip wants to build his offense and worry about the defense later.

The fact that you guys missed on Marcus Smith makes it a lot worse too. I really don't think it's a good idea but I just can't see Chip not doing it.

I concur with prince.

It's only because teams keep reaching for qb's and then giving them unreasonable expectations. It's a vicious cycle. Some of these guys who've been overdrafted would be quality starters, imo, if they'd been picked in the third and developed on the bench. Instead, they're thrown into the fire, never correct their issues and have destroyed psyches.

A QB is like a pitcher, fragile and easily broken. Mechianical issues with a QB are the worst, because once bad footwork becomes muscle memory, that's what they revert too in the pro game when the heat gets on them. It's a QB coaches job to instill new muscle memory in the form of constant repetition of proper footwork and mechanics.

But the one thing you can ABSOLUTELY see in college that you can fix 1/10 times in the pros, maybe, is pocket awareness. Johnny screamed "I can't play from the pocket" in college. Everybody told the Browns FO (including the Browns FO) "Do not draft him, take Bridgewater or Carr".

But Jimmy had to take him because he was enamored with his "potential".

95% of guys never reach their potential. Cam Newton has the potential to be the greatest QB ever, but likely he'll peak as a good, top-10 level guy. Because you don't account for them reaching that oft mentioned ceiling. It's why late round developmental guys with big arms never, ever, ever, ever, ever work.

Nice work Tabris.

You and Metal Fear were calling for Fox's head before me. I was indecisive but ultimately wrong.

Damn, nice call.

So we had LOB last year.

If Revis is resigned I think the right nickname for the Pats secondary has to be Revis and Butthead. Perfect fit.
Non fans can't give nicknames

I concur with prince.

A consequence of the win now mentality of fanbases of todays NFL and the front offices who are picking to save their jobs year to year. Not to the benefit of the organizations in question. It's really hard as a GM to draft a QB to sit on the bench for three years when your job could conceivably be gone if you don't have immediate success because you have a dumb fuck owner. It's also tough to do so when your fans aren't buying tickets or calling for your head because you don't have a signal caller winning you games.

The implementation of the rookie wage scale also made it much more manageable to keep throwing darts at the board with QB's until you hit. Your cap won't be completely destroyed for years to come anymore by committing a high draft pick to a guy that may or may not work out.

Who was that LB that Seattle took in the top 3 a few years ago that everything thought was the most sure thing in the draft? And he busted harder than an unprotected Adrian Peterson nut.

Who was that LB that Seattle took in the top 3 a few years ago that everything thought was the most sure thing in the draft? And he busted harder than an unprotected Adrian Peterson nut.
Aaron Curry.

Played a very limited time for the Giants if memory serves and ended up retiring to paint.

A consequence of the win now mentality of fanbases of todays NFL and the front offices who are picking to save their jobs year to year. Not to the benefit of the organizations in question. It's really hard as a GM to draft a QB to sit on the bench for three years when your job could conceivably be gone if you don't have immediate success because you have a dumb fuck owner. It's also tough to do so when your fans aren't buying tickets or calling for your head because you don't have a signal caller winning you games.

The implementation of the rookie wage scale also made it much more manageable to keep throwing darts at the board with QB's until you hit. Your cap won't be completely destroyed for years to come anymore by committing a high draft pick to a guy that may or may not work out.

And this short sighted attitude is why the high end teams, the consistent playoff teams, make the post-season time and time again.

Because they have ownership that trusts the GM and the FO to make the right decisions. The Bills had a FO that was at war with it's own GM to take a QB to in the end we reached on a guy and it's caused a ripple effect that is still there, 3 years later. The draft isn't a crap shoot, teams just miss because instead of taking the best player they reach for a position of need.

People don't have patience anymore, fans aren't willing to wait and it's why teams like the Browns and Jags and Dolphins spend more than anybody else in FA every year instead of trying to rebuild slowly. They want to get really good really fast and that just doesn't work. You have to struggle and suck for a bit and get better slowly to sustain any kind of success.

Aaron Curry failed because in 2009 the NFL implimented it's new tackling rules, Curry was the most flagged player in the NFL, he was benched, became afraid to hit and washed out of the league.

His physical ability was never the problem, he just got mentally busted and couldn't recover.

bionic77

Coincidence that bionic hates the two GOATs Brady and Jordan?

u r bad
Lets take a poll on NFL GAF of non-Pats fans and see how many think Brady is the best qb of all time? To keep things fair I won't participate.

Then we will take a poll of me and Ninja on whether or not Jordan was the greatest basketball player of all time.

I kinda miss when teams gave young qb's a chance to sit and learn, rather than just throw them to the wolves right away. The win now mentality is fun at times but you're often left wondering how things would have happened if the guy was given time rather just throw him out there right away.

MechDX

And this short sighted attitude is why the high end teams, the consistent playoff teams, make the post-season time and time again.

Because they have ownership that trusts the GM and the FO to make the right decisions. The Bills had a FO that was at war with it's own GM to take a QB to in the end we reached on a guy and it's caused a ripple effect that is still there, 3 years later. The draft isn't a crap shoot, teams just miss because instead of taking the best player they reach for a position of need.

People don't have patience anymore, fans aren't willing to wait and it's why teams like the Browns and Jags and Dolphins spend more than anybody else in FA every year instead of trying to rebuild slowly. They want to get really good really fast and that just doesn't work. You have to struggle and suck for a bit and get better slowly to sustain any kind of success.

You make good points but with one thing: The consistent playoff teams all have one common denominator: an entrenched, good to great QB. Seahawks have a great defense but Wilson is undervalued IMO. Look at the Colts: Peyton sits out one year and they have a 2 win season, luck into Luck and back in playoffs every year. Patriots at the other end good QB and pretty meh drafts.

If I was a GM and needed a QB but there wasn't one there to draft I liked, I just build up the rest of your team, be competitive and wait for that guy.

I'll post a Panthers postmortem in a few days if no one else has by then.

On Hardy, I agree with colasante. I think he'd prefer to be back with the Panthers, but that avenue will be closed to him. In that case, he'll probably much rather take a discounted one year deal at a high-visibility, highly relevant team like Seattle than go for the money right away and languish away in Oakland or somewhere.

I think the most they should put on the table for Mariota is Foles, 2015 first&second round picks, and a 2016 first round pick. If the Jests will take that for their pick and Mariota is there, that would be somewhat tempting.

I would do that trade in a second. I definitely think they are going to try everything to move up. At the end of the season Kelly was asked if Foles is his starter going forward, his reply:

Kelly's response lacked any kind of commitment to Foles or anyone else at the position.

"I don't know," he said. "I mean, we'll sit down and thoroughly evaluate everything. But it's no different than any other position when you look at it.

"You just tell us what we have available right now, we’ll take a look at it, let’s detail it, let’s go through the film again, let’s put our heads together, let’s get everybody's opinion on it and make valid decisions.

"It doesn't matter how much [Foles' injury] clouds or doesn't cloud [the evaluation process]. That’s the reality of it. He got hurt, so we have to make decisions moving forward in terms of what we’re going to do."

The year before when asked the same question he said Foles was his starter for 1000 years. If they start next year with Foles and some scrub as the backup, and Foles plays as poorly as this year it is going to get ugly.

MRSA

Banned
Aaron Curry failed because in 2009 the NFL implimented it's new tackling rules, Curry was the most flagged player in the NFL, he was benched, became afraid to hit and washed out of the league.

His physical ability was never the problem, he just got mentally busted and couldn't recover.

Chargers fans hate Aaron Curry for knocking out Marcus McNeil forcing him to retire.

ampere

Then we will take a poll of me and Ninja on whether or not Jordan was the greatest basketball player of all time.

Such sample size, wow

I actually think a full GAF vote on QB GOAT would get Brady 30% of the votes. For a basketball vote... prob 80% Jordan

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
That's from Jason Cole. I can't believe any team would prefer Sam Bradford to Mariota and Winston. I just can't believe it.

I was always hoping Bradford was the pats answer after Brady given how far his perceived value has fallen. He could spend a year or 2 behind Brady, get healthy and take over.

Bowser

D.A. couldn’t find Greg Hardy’s accuser, as she was out of town

The domestic violence charges against Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy were dismissed Monday morning, in part, because the Mecklenburg County District Attorney’s office couldn’t find her.

Maybe they should have checked Facebook.

According to Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer, Nicole Holder left a trail of social media extravagance over the last several months, during which she seems to be doing some not-inexpensive traveling.

Holder posted messages to her Facebook account showing her snowmobiling in Vail, Colo., shopping in Atlanta, and in New York’s Grand Central Station the following day.

“For the past several months, the alleged victim, Nicole Holder, has made herself completely unavailable to the Mecklenburg County District Attorney’s Office for the purpose of preparing for trial,” a statement by the DA’s office said. “The District Attorney’s office has collaborated with numerous law enforcement agencies around the State and taken extraordinary measures to locate Ms. Holder and serve her with a subpoena to appear for court.”

A Dec. 8 post had her dining in Colorado, then snowmobiling in Vail. On Dec. 22, she was shopping at Lenox Mall in Atlanta, and was in New York City the next day.

The former nightclub bartender apparently had the means to travel, considering the DA’s office said they had “reliable information” that Holder reached a civil settlement with Hardy prior to his court date.

Hardy didn’t comment upon leaving court today, but if he needs to see where part of the $13.1 million the Panthers gave him last year ended up, all he needs is to log onto a computer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...d-greg-hardys-accuser-as-she-was-out-of-town/

smh

bionic77

Such sample size, wow

I actually think a full GAF vote on QB GOAT would get Brady 30% of the votes. For a basketball vote... prob 80% Jordan
I am trying to keep the vote unbiased and limit it to people who know what they are talking about.

Pats fans are worthless and untrustworthy so they are out for the Brady poll.

And me and Ninja are the only ones here who are old enough to have followed the NBA in the 80s and 90s.

I completed the poll with Ninja and apparently neither of us think that Jordan was even the best player in the 90s (Cedric the great was the unanimous choice) let alone of all time. So Jordan is out.

MRSA

Banned
bionic, how do you feel about Shawn Kemp? Greg should've modeled his dunking game after Shawn Kemp, GOAT dunker of all time.

Lets not get into all his bastard kids either.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
What's really crazy is how teams are treating their qb's now. Look at the top qb's in the league and outside of Peyton and Luck, not a single one of them were pegged to start the first game of their first season.

Tom Penny

The problem with drafting a QB and putting him in a pro system is that they can be great and all that in the film room but how do you predict they can put it together on the field? It's an entirely different animal when every single player your going against is now pretty much the best player you've ever gone against in college. Some people fold when the bullets are flying and others excel. You also throw to spots in the NFL so if your waiting for dudes to get open you're in for a rude awakening seeing the difference in windows compared when dudes are waiving for the ball left in right in college.

Mindlog

I concur with prince.

Just draft 7 QBs and hope one of them is the next, Trent Dilfer.
OVERALL

SoJC6AB.gif
Still the best postmortem.

cdyhybrid

I'll post a Panthers postmortem in a few days if no one else has by then.

On Hardy, I agree with colasante. I think he'd prefer to be back with the Panthers, but that avenue will be closed to him. In that case, he'll probably much rather take a discounted one year deal at a high-visibility, highly relevant team like Seattle than go for the money right away and languish away in Oakland or somewhere.

Yep, if he can make an impact for a contender and stay out of trouble for a season he'll be able to ask for big money next offseason.

What do the Jets do with Harvin? He could be a nice fit on the Patriots if they cut Amendola.

Will be great to see him knock Tammy out on the team bus.

Also Shawn Kemp is a legend (and not just among the community of athlete baby mommas).

What's really crazy is how teams are treating their qb's now. Look at the top qb's in the league and outside of Peyton and Luck, not a single one of them were pegged to start the first game of their first season.
Frankly this is part of what makes Tannehill's first three seasons so impressive. He was an incredibly raw prospect coming out of A&M, even by college QB standards, and he has started every game since he's been in the league. Not only that, he has continued to improve.

Still, fuck football.

cdyhybrid

SB Nation did a new mock and had the Texans draft Shaq Thompson at 16 as an OLB. Did some follow up and found this highlight video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0di4jhpjcTQ

So is he an OLB, RB or Safety? Kid is all over the damn field!

I do like his Foster "Namaste" when he scores a TD at the start of that video

He was a S coming out of high school (was the #1 S in the country in his class), played at OLB most of his time here, and also moonlighted at RB when a bunch of our guys got hurt. He would have easily been the best RB on the team if he played there full-time. I see him as a big safety like Kam Chancellor or as a LB that can cover space and run.

bionic77

bionic, how do you feel about Shawn Kemp? Greg should've modeled his dunking game after Shawn Kemp, GOAT dunker of all time.

Lets not get into all his bastard kids either.
Everyone forgot about Kemp's athleticism because during the strike he simultaneously had enough enough unprotected sex to create enough children to have his own village while looking like he ate another village.

There is a good chance for the younger GAFers that Kemp is your biological father. I think it is a given for Greg.

MechDX

He was a S coming out of high school (was the #1 S in the country in his class), played at OLB most of his time here, and also moonlighted at RB when a bunch of our guys got hurt. He would have easily been the best RB on the team if he played there full-time. I see him as a big safety like Kam Chancellor or as a LB that can cover space and run.

Thanks. You were the first person I thought of when I saw he played at Washington.

I could see BOB loving this kids versatility and see him playing defense primarily with some offense scattered in ala Watt

Rotoworld said:
Sources tell ESPN's Mike Wells that Trent Richardson struggled with weight issues last season and was "difficult to get in touch with."

Listed at 225, T-Rich reportedly ballooned all the way up to 240, and was seen running sprints after practice to work on his "conditioning." The Colts were also miffed when Richardson missed the team's walk-though the day before the AFC Championship Game. That earned Richardson a two-game suspension. The Colts can void the $3.1 million in guaranteed money Richardson is owed next season, though the Players Association would probably appeal that decision. Either way, the mega-bust isn't long for Indy.

I think the Trent Truck is running on its last good tire, and the air's already starting to exit that too :[

Top Bottom