• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

Godslay

Banned
He's a good redzone target. Other than that I don't see the upside considering he's not known as a blocker and Demarius is drawing doubles left and right. Dude is 26 or 27 to boot. Raiders are dummies so it makes sense for them.

I agree.

In the redzone, he's fun to watch simply because he's got good ball skills in a huge body. When you have someone like DT though, JT becomes a luxury if you don't have the money to pay them all. Especially with the idea that JT has only played 36 out of 64 games in his first 4 years if I tallied them correctly. It's a big gamble to pay someone that amount of money if they aren't getting nearly full seasons out of him.

Colasante

If we sign McCourty, get another good corner (Flowers or Maxwell), get a guard and maybe take a flyer on an upgrade to Amendola, I'll be fine.

The ball is in Revis' court and he knows it. There's absolutely no way that we keep him without vastly overpaying, to which I don't believe Bill would do. Nor would I want him to.

Although I wonder if DMC likes playing FS. It happened more out of need than anything with us. He could likely get decently more if he converted back to a CB.

1. There is no way in hell the Patriots can afford to pay Devin McCourty, Darrelle Revis, and then another top tier cornerback on top of that. They're already paying Browner $5M APY and Arrington $4M APY. It's impossible.

2. There is no way in hell that any team would ask Devin McCourty to move back to cornerback. That makes no sense.

iOEKbGoQ9s9Do.gif

Patriots7

1. There is no way in hell the Patriots can afford to pay Devin McCourty, Darrelle Revis, and then another top tier cornerback on top of that. They're already paying Browner $5M APY and Arrington $4M APY. It's impossible.

2. There is no way in hell that any team would ask Devin McCourty to move back to cornerback. That makes no sense.
I was saying to get another top tier cornerback to replace Revis' impending departure.

He was a probowl corner. He even played snaps at CB this year. His twin is also a CB. I'm just wondering if he wants to play FS.

Colasante

I was saying to get another top tier cornerback to replace Revis' impending departure.

He was a probowl corner. He even played snaps at CB this year. His twin is also a CB. I'm just wondering if he wants to play FS.

That makes more sense, but I still don't see it happening. The Patriots don't enter the top tier of free agency unless it's someone like Revis who is a genuine gamechanger. Maxwell and Flowers are both going to be out of their price range.

It doesn't matter what position McCourty wants to play. If he hits free agency, the Eagles and Colts, among others, will be competing to make him the highest paid safety in the league. No team will pay him huge money to play a position that he hasn't practiced at in two years, especially when Belichick, who knows him better than anyone, changed his position.

Bread

Banned

McCourty is an elite FS, there's no way he or any team wants him to switch positions.

SMH MECH

#BANMECHNOW

Patriots7

That makes more sense, but I still don't see it happening. The Patriots don't enter the top tier of free agency unless it's someone like Revis who is a genuine gamechanger. Maxwell and Flowers are both going to be out of their price range.

It doesn't matter what position McCourty wants to play. If he hits free agency, the Eagles and Colts, among others, will be competing to make him the highest paid safety in the league. No team will pay him huge money to play a position that he hasn't practiced at in two years, especially when Belichick, who knows him better than anyone, changed his position.
I'm not sure I agree. I think if Revis leaves, we'd go after one of the better CB's available. As we've seen this season, there's a significant drop in our CB talent after Revis/Browner.
We went after Revis after pushing very hard for Talib (and if I remember correctly, Talib's offer was very competitive to Denver's).
I could see us doing the same thing to replace Revis.

Colasante

I'm not sure I agree. I think if Revis leaves, we'd go after one of the better CB's available. As we've seen this season, there's a significant drop in our CB talent after Revis/Browner.
We went after Revis after pushing very hard for Talib (and if I remember correctly, Talib's offer was very competitive to Denver's).
I could see us doing the same thing to replace Revis.

They went hard after Talib because they knew what they had in him. There is no way they would have chased after Talib if he hadn't already been in the building. He'd already been in the system and shown that he could consistently match up against the opponent's top receiver.

Byron Maxwell has never done that. He may be capable of it, but there is no way Belichick is going to give him a contract with $30+ million guaranteed without knowing that he's good enough to base the entire defensive scheme around him. That's just not going to happen. Belichick has never done something like that in free agency- Revis and Adalius Thomas were the only exceptions, and the way Thomas flamed out must have scarred Belichick, because he didn't dabble in that tier of free agency again until 6 years later.

If Revis leaves, I think the Patriots' starters would be Brandon Browner and Malcolm Butler, with Arrington in the slot and Logan Ryan rotating in, in addition to draft selection and the possible elevation of Justin Green or Dax Swanson. They might go after another corner in free agency, but I just can't see them going after a big-money corner that's not Revis.

Did he state that? I think he'll still play TE but smart teams will utilize his skills and he'll line up all over like Jimmy.

Didn't michgan just move him because of there lack of talent

No he's absolutely a WR at the next level. Cannot block to save his life, but he's totally a WR in the NFL, isn't big enough to be a true TE. He's a bigger receiver but he's still a receiver.

Patriots7

They went hard after Talib because they knew what they had in him. There is no way they would have chased after Talib if he hadn't already been in the building. He'd already been in the system and shown that he could consistently match up against the opponent's top receiver.

Byron Maxwell has never done that. He may be capable of it, but there is no way Belichick is going to give him a contract with $30+ million guaranteed without knowing that he's good enough to base the entire defensive scheme around him. That's just not going to happen. Belichick has never done something like that in free agency- Revis and Adalius Thomas were the only exceptions, and the way Thomas flamed out must have scarred Belichick, because he didn't dabble in that tier of free agency again until 6 years later.

If Revis leaves, I think the Patriots' starters would be Brandon Browner and Malcolm Butler, with Arrington in the slot and Logan Ryan rotating in, in addition to draft selection and the possible elevation of Justin Green or Dax Swanson. They might go after another corner in free agency, but I just can't see them going after a big-money corner that's not Revis.
I guess we'll see. I was about to bust out the Thomas card, but you beat me to it.
I just don't see Bill being willing to have our secondary become a liability once again by failing to acquire a decent replacement to Revis.
Butler (the curse of NE's 2nd year CB's), Dennard, Ryan might be passable as #3 options, but that's going to be a huge hit to our defense if we have to rely on them to replace Revis (or really Talib's production from 2012 and 2013)' production.

I also think one thing we're disagreeing is on what the other top-tier CB's will command. I don't think Maxwell or Flowers will command Revis/PP/Sherman money.

Hi nfl thread. Back from my weeklong ban for racistlycalling gronkowski and that Seahawks dude thugs in the superb owl thread. Pats suck, and awesomely won that game. Seahawks choked and shouldn't have been there. Browns will suck next season. Lol josh Gordon. Lol jonny football. Goodell is still horrible.

That's all I got.

I can't extend Ben? I can't sign Arthur Moats for $1.5M/yr? This thing is a sham!
No extensions from what I can tell. Just deals with FA.

I managed to get the Giants to 30 million in cap space really easily. (Cut Kiwi, JD Walton, Hillis and Jayron Hosely, restructure Beason)

I signed JPP to a 6 year deal at 10 million/yr with 30% in guaranteed money. Signed a bunch of small time FA's. I let Rolle walk.

Left over with about 14 million in cap space. Signing my draftees will be about 6.5 million so that leaves a bit of money to play with.

That's without extending Eli and Prince Amukamara which could free up some big money easily. Giants are in a pretty good cap position in 2015. Even if I tag JPP, it wouldn't destroy my ability to make some moves.

EDIT: Signed Sergio Brown to a 2 year contract for 2.5 million.
Also signed Bruce Carter to a 3 year, 3.5 million/year contract with 30% in guaranteed money.

I like both as FA targets for us. Brown is a special teamer but could develop into a decent safety. He can be had cheap.

Jerruh will want to sign Rolando and has enough contracts to deal with. I think Bruce Carter can be had for a decent contract and will immediately upgrade our linebacking corp.

In real news:

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 2m2 minutes ago
Interesting. @SUNSports reports Canadian Football's best OL, center (or centre) Brett Jones, will sign w/Giants on Tuesday.
Have to think that seals JD Walton's fate if Jones works out as depth at center for us.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Pats fans really optimistic but what if this is like Asante Samuel all over again.

Everybody knew asante was gone though.

McCourty won't hit free agency. He'll be franchise tagged.

I'm curious about Iupati as well. I don't think the Patriots will dabble in the top tier of free agency, but if they did, I think they'd target Iupati above anyone else. Not sure how Tomsula's promotion affects Iupati's chances of resigning there, though. Worth noting that the Bills had the worst guard play in the league last season and Greg Roman will be going over there from San Francisco, so that's a possible landing spot, and former 49er Scot McCloughan is the GM of the Redskins now, so that'd make sense too.

Agreed no chance he hits the FA. Probably tag him, extend Revis and sign Dev when the cap goes up to a long term deal.

If we sign McCourty, get another good corner (Flowers or Maxwell), get a guard and maybe take a flyer on an upgrade to Amendola, I'll be fine.

The ball is in Revis' court and he knows it. There's absolutely no way that we keep him without vastly overpaying, to which I don't believe Bill would do. Nor would I want him to.

Although I wonder if DMC likes playing FS. It happened more out of need than anything with us. He could likely get decently more if he converted back to a CB.

God damn, there is 0% chance this happens. Flowers had a good year he's gonna get paid. DMC would not get more at corner he's PFFs top safety, he's going to get top safety money. I would keep Danny if they can restructure, he was great in the playoffs. Otherwise cut bait and replace him with one of the cheaper options hitting the market. Brady needed a 4th target somebody like Gafney to be a headache or the odd man out, and that's what DA became in the post-season. He might be able to make some money with the run he had there, but given his overall production with the pats and how often he was injured he will not see great money, especially not what he's projected to get as of right now.

You deal in absolutes, I dont. Very good chance he is a Wr at next level but time will tell. And I'm an OSU fan so we will have many convos in the future.

I'm dealing with an absolute in this case. I'm 100% certain he's a wideout on 32 out of 32 teams.

Look forward to more convos though, I always love talking football.

Colasante

I guess we'll see. I was about to bust out the Thomas card, but you beat me to it.
I just don't see Bill being willing to have our secondary become a liability once again by failing to acquire a decent replacement to Revis.
Butler (the curse of NE's 2nd year CB's), Dennard, Ryan might be passable as #3 options, but that's going to be a huge hit to our defense if we have to rely on them to replace Revis (or really Talib's production from 2012 and 2013)' production.

I also think one thing we're disagreeing is on what the other top-tier CB's will command. I don't think Maxwell or Flowers will command Revis/PP/Sherman money.

I think our fundamental disagreement stems from the fact that I think there's very little chance that Belichick lets Revis walk. Everything that has happened in the last year has gone down exactly as Belichick and Revis hoped it would... so it's not like they're going to enter negotiations and Belichick isn't going to know what numbers will be thrown at him.

Revis was the piece that made the entire defense work this season. He'll cost $5 million on the cap if he's cut... do you think Belichick will pay $5 million to see Revis play in Buffalo and $8 million to get Byron Maxwell here, or do you think he'll pay Revis $13 million per year? To me, the answer is obvious. If they cheap out on the Revis contract, they're going to cheap out and go with what they have, not sign a #2 CB to #1 CB money.

Godslay

Banned
This cap simulator is pretty fun, just guessed at some of the numbers when offering contract.

Restructured Peyton.

Cut:
Ronnie Hillman
Manny Ramirez
Britton Colquitt
Tony Carter
Bubba Caldwell

Had ~47 million in cap space afterwards.

Signed:
DT 11.2 million/per
Virgil Green 1.2 million/per
Orlando Franklin 4.2 million/per
Will Montgumery 1.2 million/per
Doug Free 5.6 million/per
Vernon Davis 4.5 million/per

5 million reserved for draft.
17 million remaining cap for S, DT, and some LB depth
Only 938k in dead cap.

Tried to nab Pot Roast, but Suh drove the price way up on DTs so he wanted way too much. Tried to get Dan Williams instead. Was outbid. Good times.

Some old dudes mixed in there, but figured got 2 good years left before rebuild/reload.

effzee

NFL.com's top 25 FAs

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000468197/article/ndamukong-suh-leads-top-25-free-agents-for-2015

1. Ndamukong Suh, defensive tackle, Detroit Lions
2. Justin Houston, pass rusher, Kansas City
3. Dez Bryant, wide receiver, Dallas Cowboys
4. Demaryius Thomas, wide receiver, Denver Broncos
5. Jason Pierre-Paul, defensive end, New York Giants
6. Julius Thomas, tight end, Denver Broncos
7. Mike Iupati, guard, San Francisco 49ers
8. Randall Cobb, wide receiver, Green Bay Packers
9. Devin McCourty, safety, New England Patriots
10. DeMarco Murray, running back, Dallas Cowboys
11. Jerry Hughes, pass rusher, Buffalo Bills
12. Jason Worilds, pass rusher, Pittsburgh Steelers [b/]
13. Jared Odrick, defensive tackle, Miami Dolphins
14. Pernell McPhee, pass rusher, Baltimore Ravens
15. Terrance Knighton, defensive tackle, Denver Broncos
16. Jeremy Maclin, wide receiver, Philadelphia Eagles
17. Brandon Graham, pass rusher, Philadelphia Eagles
18. Torrey Smith, wide receiver, Baltimore Ravens
19. Greg Hardy, pass rusher, Carolina Panthers
20. Byron Maxwell, cornerback, Seattle Seahawks
21. C.J. Spiller, running back, Buffalo Bills
22. Nick Fairley, defensive tackle, Detroit Lions
23. Brandon Flowers, cornerback, San Diego Chargers
24. Brian Orakpo, pass rusher, Washington Redskins
25. Jordan Cameron, tight end, Cleveland Browns

As a Skins fan, I guess I wouldn't mind like a Suh or Fairly but we need offensive linemen even more. We need a lot of things, though.

Players in bold need to be Eagles next year thank you please.

In addition to resigning their own guys.

Top Bottom