• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

eznark

Banned
You mean the guy who coached Carson Palmer to a 10-6 record, then Palmer, Drew Stanton, and Ryan Lindley to an 11-5 record? I think he's more than deserving. Dude won Coach of the Year twice in three years.

No shit. He's head and shoulders the best coach in football right now.

gutshot

So let me be clear then..

Is a 6-10 coach who calls his own plays better than a 10-6 coach who delegates? Show me where priority lies here.

Uh, I am holding Chip Kelly to a higher standard, that's the problem!

2 years in the league, zero playoff wins. Jim Harbaugh went deep into the playoffs every year before this one and he's unemployed. Or should we disqualify him too now?

John Fox is a veteran coach who had a Hall of Fame QB on a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

Chip Kelly is a new coach who has had average to below average QB play on a team that is still building towards being able to compete for a Super Bowl.

It's not hard to see why one was fired and one is considered one of the top up-and-coming coaches in the league.

I'm saying career defensive coach John Fox isn't responsible for the Peyton Manning lead offense that basically broke every offensive record in 2013 and 2014.

You compared the Denver offense to Philadelphia.
Chip has a lot more to do with the success of his offense than John Fox does.

No I didn't. I said having a great offense doesn't mean shit if you don't win and cited the unemployed John Fox as an example. Chip Kelly hasn't won shit, and he's the 6th best coach in the league?!

John Fox coaching the Peyton Manning led offense is irrelevant. He is (was) the coach of that team and unless you have to physically call every play to have any credit he is at least in part responsible. John Fox also won with Tim freaking Tebow at QB.

eznark

Banned
I think it's adorable someone would put Kelly over McCarthy.

Don't forget he also took that dog shit Colts team to the playoffs as the interim head coach.

Bruce Arians took a fucking Tim fucking Couch led Cleveland fucking Browns team to the playoffs.

Guy is Jesus walking.

MechDX

Rotoworld released their list of the top coaches in the NFL. Belichick at #1, Joe Philbin last at #25. Boldest choice is Bill O'Brien at #8. Hard to argue after the Texans' turnaround, without their #1 pick and with a cavalcade of mediocre quarterbacks, though next year should prove whether it was his coaching or the easy schedule that made it happen.

O'Brien is a hell of a coach and motivator. He will have this team eating nails and running through walls for him the next couple years

Rotoworld released their list of the top coaches in the NFL. Belichick at #1, Joe Philbin last at #25. Boldest choice is Bill O'Brien at #8. Hard to argue after the Texans' turnaround, without their #1 pick and with a cavalcade of mediocre quarterbacks, though next year should prove whether it was his coaching or the easy schedule that made it happen.

That was a pretty nice write up for the Ravens. Harbs is a fine coach, but this team is what it is because of Ozzie.

JABEE

No I didn't. I said having a great offense doesn't mean shit if you don't win and cited the unemployed John Fox as an example. Chip Kelly hasn't won shit, and he's the 6th best coach in the league?!

John Fox coaching the Peyton Manning led offense is irrelevant. He is (was) the coach of that team and unless you have to physically call every play to have any credit he is at least in part responsible. John Fox also won with Tim freaking Tebow at QB.
Using that offense as an example of Fox's greatness is disingenuous. It would be like saying Chip that Chip Kelly was responsible for the Eagles defense if they came out and became elite. You would be better off comparing the overall team or the defense to the Eagles offense.

You said John Fox coached the team with the most prolific offense. That is true, but he has way less to do with than Chip Kelly's impressive offensive accomplishments at the pro level.

Bringing up Denver's offense when I argued Chip Kelly as a great offensive mind is where my disagreement stems.

Using that offense as an example of Fox's greatness is disingenuous. It would be like saying Chip that Chip Kelly was responsible for the Eagles defense if they came out and became elite. You would be better off comparing the overall team or the defense to the Eagles offense.

You said John Fox coached the team with the most prolific offense. That is true, but he has way less to do with than Chip Kelly's impressive offensive accomplishments at the pro level.

Bringing up Denver's offense when I argued Chip Kelly as a great offensive mind is where my disagreement stems.
I'm not making an argument for John Fox as a great coach. I'm using him as an example to illustrate that winning is paramount. The amount of Chip Kelly's involvement in the offense is irrelevant. The Eagles under Kelly have never won in the playoffs. How can you be a top 10 coach if you've never won when it matters?

Colasante

Lowest bar.

Also "Bruce Arians can be a horses ass..."

So smart. Such written.

I mean well-written in that they don't rely on hot takes to generate clicks, they just produce smart content, but I guess if we want to critique their writing like we're in middle school, we could do that too.

The most "controversial" ranking from last year's version of the list was Bruce Arians at #8 after his first year, so I like his track record with this so far.

JABEE

I'm not making an argument for John Fox as a great coach. I'm using him as an example to illustrate that winning is paramount. The amount of Chip Kelly's involvement in the offense is irrelevant. The Eagles under Kelly have never won in the playoffs. How can you be a top 10 coach if you've never won when it matters?
I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. That's a better argument to make.

Though, I would say right now Chip Kelly would be a top 10 overall coach in the league.

If there was a fantasy coach draft to determine who would coach each individual team, I am confident Chip Kelly would be a top 10 coach.

eznark

Banned
I mean well-written in that they don't rely on hot takes to generate clicks, they just produce smart content, but I guess if we want to critique their writing like we're in middle school, we could do that too.

The most "controversial" ranking from last year's version of the list was Bruce Arians at #8 after his first year, so I like his track record with this so far.

Both his Chip Kelly and Sean Payton rankings are garbage. Same with O'Brien. It's more a "most hyped coach" list and is written as such,. Belongs on a BR slideshow.

You called it a well written site, not sure how my pointing out the article is terribly written is "middle school."

JABEE

Both his Chip Kelly and Sean Payton rankings are garbage. Same with O'Brien. It's more a "most hyped coach" list and is written as such,. Belongs on a BR slideshow.

You called it a well written site, not sure how my pointing out the article is terribly written is "middle school."
Where would you rank Payton?

A ranking article is the definition of generating clicks.

What the hell has Bill O'Brien done to be a top 10 coach?

Colasante

A ranking article is the definition of generating clicks.

What the hell has Bill O'Brien done to be a top 10 coach?

Right, but what I said is that they don't rely on hot takes to generate clicks. They're still a website that aims to have people view their content, so yes, they do desire the generation of clicks.

I think he did an impressive job with a shitty team, without a quarterback, and without the #1 pick in the draft. Maybe he'll fall flat on his face next year and we'll see that the Texans benefited from an easy schedule, it's entirely possible, but from the information available to us, I think O'Brien did a hell of a coaching job last year.

eznark

Banned
Arians
Carroll
Belichick*
Harbaugh
McCarthy
Reid
Coughlin
Lewis
Payton
Fox

Of the guys with no track record I'd put none in the top ten but go:

Kelly
Zimmer
Pettine
O'Brien

The last two are kind of a coin toss but Pettine won under much more difficult circumstances.

I think Rex Ryan is a top ten coach as well, but that's just speculation at this point.

eznark

Banned
I really like Mike Pettine as a HC, think he's a solid guy. I think For a lot of Browns fans he's a bright spot for us.

Yeah it's not a knock. I think all three are excellent coaches. I fucking love Zimmer. O'Brien has easily been the least impressive of that bunch. Christ I might have put him below Mike McCoy if I had remembered Mike McCoy existed.

Right, but what I said is that they don't rely on hot takes to generate clicks. They're still a website that aims to have people view their content, so yes, they do desire the generation of clicks.

I think he did an impressive job with a shitty team, without a quarterback, and without the #1 pick in the draft. Maybe he'll fall flat on his face next year and we'll see that the Texans benefited from an easy schedule, it's entirely possible, but from the information available to us, I think O'Brien did a hell of a coaching job last year.

Hell of a coaching job = top 10 in the league? Eznark was spot on when he said it was most hyped. 9-7 is mediocre. Maybe he'll rise to be one of the best coaches in the league but right now he's barely taken his baby steps as a coach.

You can tell i'm anxious to talk about football..

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
giphy.gif

When do we get nascar's elevator video?

Just got out of Kingsman.

Great movie.

Action was top notch and there was just enough charm and humor about it to keep it from being a cold faced gore-fest. Samuel L. Jackson playing a lisped evil knockoff Russell Simmons was hilarious.

Dat church scene tho.

Just got out of Kingsman.

Great movie.

Action was top notch and there was just enough charm and humor about it to keep it from being a cold faced gore-fest. Samuel L. Jackson playing a lisped evil knockoff Russell Simmons was hilarious.

Dat church scene tho.

I liked it too and yeah church scene was so great and the music made it amazing

I feel bad for Mike Pettine. You can see the Browns dumbshit owner is going to meddle Pettine right out of a job.
I think the owner genuinely likes mike pettine, and what ever meddling Haslam did before I think/hope he's learned from. Best thing I could hope for is that Pettine is here for the long haul. Haslam seemed to have pulled the trigger on hiring pettine too with the whole banner and Lombardi thing. The unsteady Qb thing is the main thing working against him....but it's been the same thing working against most our coaches.

One thing I like about the jags owner is that he's giving Bradley some time

lol I haven't been keeping up with the order, but why is every one going bat shit crazy about it? I don't even remember it looking that interesting in the previews/trailers
Edit: lol just saw this
AKKU9xx.gif

Colasante

You picked out one line you considered bad writing and used that to denigrate the writing of the entire article and the site itself. When I look for a sports site with "good" writing, I'm less concerned with their prose and more their point of view, what they have to say, and how well they back up what they're writing. You can say that you disagree with some of the rankings, fine, that's great, I disagreed with the rankings too, obviously everyone will have a different opinion because it's not an empirical process. Frankly, if you consider every piece of writing with which you disagree "bad" then you're probably an idiot (not that I think you are, I just mean that generally).

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
BG I'm just getting caught up on my Browns hubbub.

So Pettine hinted Gilbert may of had a significent personal issue? :eek:

This would basically give the Raiders 9 home games a year, but why does that stadium look like a futuristic cruise ship?

Here's a joint statement from the Raiders and Chargers:

We have both been working in our home markets to find a stadium solution for many years, so far unsuccessfully.
We remain committed to continuing to work in our home markets throughout 2015 to try to find publicly acceptable solutions to the long-term stadium issue.

We also both understand and respect the NFL’s relocation process, and we intend to adhere strictly to the relocation procedures that the League has set forth for Los Angeles.

In particular, we respect the right of the NFL’s owners to decide on all Los Angeles-related relocation issues and understand that any relocation application that is filed for Los Angeles must obtain the approval of three-fourths of the NFL’s owners.

Both teams have kept the NFL owners’ committee on Los Angeles, and the Commissioner, fully informed about our joint efforts.

We are pursuing this stadium option in Carson for one straightforward reason: If we cannot find a permanent solution in our home markets, we have no alternative but to preserve other options to guarantee the future economic viability of our franchises.

In short, for the remainder of 2015, we intend to move down two tracks simultaneously:
On track one, we will continue to work in our home markets to find permanent stadium solutions that are publicly acceptable.
On track two, we will work in Carson to preserve our options, and the future economic viability of our franchises, in the event that our efforts in our local markets fail.

Throughout this process we will respect the rules and procedures set forth by the League and defer completely to the ultimate decision of the NFL’s owners.

Also:

Arash Markazi ✔ @ArashMarkazi

If the Chargers and Raiders both move to LA, one would go to the NFC. I'm hearing both would be OK with it in order to make the move happen.

Top Bottom