• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

FMT's new hero!

i just feel really bad for him. tomsula is actually a really good coach and a great person. dude lived out of his fucking car while basically interning as a coach early in his career and he has earned everything he is getting but he is being setup for failure here.

there is basically no chance this turns out well for him. as i've said many times i will never root against the niners, and i love tomsula so i want him to do well, but part of me would enjoy us just crashing and burning exposing jed even more so us, the fans, can FINALLY hold him accountable! we'll hold HIM accountable!

Starting to understand the Musgrave hire, but still not real happy about it. One positive thing I can say about him is his playcalling is on point. And teaming up with Tice again, I expect we'll be much better at running the ball.

Maybe he learned a thing or 2 from Chip as well.

Guess there's that too.

QB's have regressed under Musgrave, period. As for his playcalling, he is a run, run, pass guy who runs a very bland/predictable offense. People joke about his entire offensive scheme fitting on a 3X5 card. Combine that with the fact that he has already been fired once before by Del Rio as OC when the Jags finished 30th in the league in scoring, and I see little to nothing to be excited about with this hire. This screams "friend" hire, not best guy for the job.

As an offensive coordinator, Musgrave's teams:

1998 Eagles -- 30th points, 30th yards
2000 Panthers -- 21st points, 20th yards
2003 Jaguars -- 25th points, 12th yards
2004 Jaguars -- 29th points, 21st yards
2011 Vikings -- 19th points, 18th yards
2012 Vikings -- 14th points, 20th yards
2013 Vikings -- 14th points, 13th yards

We seriously could not have done better than this guy? His career best is middle of the pack

QB's have regressed under Musgrave, period. As for his playcalling, he is a run, run, pass guy who runs a very bland/predictable offense. People joke about his entire offensive scheme fitting on a 3X5 card. Combine that with the fact that he has already been fired once before by Del Rio as OC when the Jags finished 30th in the league in scoring, and I see little to nothing to be excited about with this hire. This screams "friend" hire, not best guy for the job.

As an offensive coordinator, Musgrave's teams:

1998 Eagles -- 30th points, 30th yards
2000 Panthers -- 21st points, 20th yards
2003 Jaguars -- 25th points, 12th yards
2004 Jaguars -- 29th points, 21st yards
2011 Vikings -- 19th points, 18th yards
2012 Vikings -- 14th points, 20th yards
2013 Vikings -- 14th points, 13th yards

We seriously could not have done better than this guy? His career best is middle of the pack

definitely not my first choice. just trying to stay positive I guess. definitely took some wind out of my sails because it feels like another Knapp or Olson hire at this point.

at least he seems to have gotten steadily better and it's not like he was working with great QBs. seems to improve rushing game wherever he goes, helped fred taylor run for 1600 yards.

I'm hopeful we'll be able to retain flip for Carr at least.

QBs he has worked with
His single season as Eagles OC in 1998, his QB's were Bobby Hoying and Koy Detmer. In his two seasons in Jacksonville, his quarterback was Byron Leftwich. In his three seasons in Minnesota his quarterbacks were Christian Ponder and Matt Cassel.

In the seasons between stints as an offensive coordinator in the NFL, Musgrave was a quarterbacks coach. That's his specialty. Which makes it all the more surprising in some regard that his playcalling leans more toward the run game and his running backs have career years under him.

His first season as an NFL coach was in 1997 with the Raiders as a quarterbacks coach. His assignment? Jeff George. That season George managed to throw for nearly 4000 yards (3917) with 29 touchdowns to 9 interceptions. It was the best season of his career.

He was next quarterbacks coach in Carolina and in his first season there, Steve Beurlein also had a career year, throwing for 4436 yards with 36 touchdowns to 15 interceptions.

In his second year in Jacksonville as offensive coordinator, Musgrave was also given the title of QB coach. Byron Leftwich had the best season of his career that year, throwing for 2941 yards with 15 TD's to 10 INT.

In one season in Washington in 2005, Musgrave had a 35-year-old Mark Brunell as his QB. Brunell threw for 3050 yards with 23 TD's and 10 INT. It was the most TD's Brunell had ever thrown, the third best passer rating of his career, and the last time he was a fulltime starter in the NFL.

Musgrave was the QB coach in Atlanta for the first three seasons of Matt Ryan's career. Ryan was named to a Pro Bowl in his third season, throwing for a then career high 3705 yards with 28 TD's to 9 INT. The Falcons finished 13-3 that year but lost to the Packers in the playoffs.

Last season with the Eagles, after losing Nick Foles to injury midseason, he coached Mark Sanchez to by far the best passer rating of his career (88.4), a good ten points higher than his previous best.

i just feel really bad for him. tomsula is actually a really good coach and a great person. dude lived out of his fucking car while basically interning as a coach early in his career and he has earned everything he is getting but he is being setup for failure here.

there is basically no chance this turns out well for him. as i've said many times i will never root against the niners, and i love tomsula so i want him to do well, but part of me would enjoy us just crashing and burning exposing jed even more so us, the fans, can FINALLY hold him accountable! we'll hold HIM accountable!

We don't want that, it's not like being a laughstock for 2-5 years or whatever would get Jed out of the ownership role. He's the owner/CEO No one can fire him right? We would just be suffering for no real change

We don't want that, it's not like being a laughstock for 2-5 years or whatever would get Jed out of the ownership role. He's the owner/CEO No one can fire him right? We would just be suffering for no real change

yes, i was being sarcastic towards jeds stupid fucking "if this doesn't work you can hold me accountable" press conference. i wish he would go fuck off but then if he wasn't there it would be his dad handling everything and his dad is (somehow!) arguably worse than him

JABEE

Foles had a terrible year last season compared to how he played when Bill Lazor was QB coach. His mechanics were awful last season. I don't know how much that's on Foles vs Musgrave.

Old Jags coach, old Jags OC, old Jags OL coach... I'm not sure striving to be the Jags is a very good idea. I was kinda meh about Del Rio (like the Tice hire), but was hoping he would knock it out of the park with his coordinator hires, the Musgrave hire has deflated me entirely

B7xDOekCcAEtlMJ.jpg

Old Jags coach, old Jags OC, old Jags OL coach... I'm not sure striving to be the Jags is a very good idea. I was kinda meh about Del Rio (like the Tice hire), but was hoping he would knock it out of the park with his coordinator hires, the Musgrave hire has deflated me entirely

bay area gonna suck this year :(

And Jags old RB too!

Maxwell deserves to be on the Eagles.

Him and Revis. Restore the Soar!

Broncos-Gaf : Eagles signed your DB coach to be our DB coach. Any thoughts on him?

Well the DB were one of the strong parts of the defense so he will be missed...

Hopefully we can keep Studesville and Knapp...

gutshot

Foles had a terrible year last season compared to how he played when Bill Lazor was QB coach. His mechanics were awful last season. I don't know how much that's on Foles vs Musgrave.

I imagine some of it was on Musgrave. I mean, he certainly wasn't helping. I'm glad he's gone. Hopefully we can find someone more like Lazor to replace him.

The DB coach hire seems like a good move. We will still need to add some talent there but even Denver's backup DBs have played well, so I think this guy must be a good coach.

effzee

Starting to understand the Musgrave hire, but still not real happy about it. One positive thing I can say about him is his playcalling is on point. And teaming up with Tice again, I expect we'll be much better at running the ball.

Maybe he learned a thing or 2 from Chip as well.

Guess there's that too.

From all I've heard is that he is an excellent QB coach who has had terrible QBs to work with. Basically he won't magically take a piece of turd and turn him into an elite QB, but he can develop a young guy like Carr.

That's my QB coach that ruined Foles. Where are you Lazor?

Foles ruined Foles. Foles had bad mechanics the year prior as well, he just had a better healthier oline, a better run game, and pure luck at some points. People also overlook how bad the teams were that Foles went buckkwild on.

Also on the Eagles let's be real the blame and credit should start and finish with Chip. A lot of his staff, like Pat Shurmur are great coaches to have but they are mostly there top bounce ideas and to inform Chip of the NFL game. At the end Chip runs and develops the offense.

To me the Eagles don't have a great franchise qb. It's actually a testament to Chip and his staff to be able to get as much out of Vick, Foles, and Sanchez.

gutshot

From all I've heard is that he is an excellent QB coach who has had terrible QBs to work with. Basically he won't magically take a piece of turd and turn him into an elite QB, but he can develop a young guy like Carr.

Foles ruined Foles. Foles had bad mechanics the year prior as well, he just had a better healthier oline, a better run game, and pure luck at some points. People also overlook how bad the teams were that Foles went buckkwild on.

Also on the Eagles let's be real the blame and credit should start and finish with Chip. A lot of his staff, like Pat Shurmur ate great coaches to have but they are mostly there top bounce ideas and to inform Chip of the NFL game. At the end Chip runs and develops the offense.

His mechanics clearly regressed this season over last. The constant throwing off of the backfoot, the inaccurate deep balls, the happy feet. Yes, part of that was due to the depleted O-line, but those problems persisted late into the season when the O-line started to gain continuity. Chip isn't coaching basic QB mechanics, that is on the QB coach.

MechDX

Houston Texans retweeted
KATY PERRY ‏@katyperry · 53m53 minutes ago
Hey @JJWatt what do you think of our @ESPNMag cover? TOUCHDOWN?! 🏈❤️🏈❤️🏈❤️🏈❤️🏈❤️

B7zXyuGCUAIltyW.jpg:large

So jealous.
Of Katy Perry

Vio-Lence

Banned
Glad he didn't end up with the Skins.

Bears are putting together a nice staff. Too bad about that QB.
Hopefully only one more year of that loser Cutler. Optimistic with the hires so far. Mel Tucker was so bad that anyone would be an upgrade. Mel inherited a top 10 unit and proceeded to guide the Bears to the two worst defenses in franchise history.

effzee

His mechanics clearly regressed this season over last. The constant throwing off of the backfoot, the inaccurate deep balls, the happy feet. Yes, part of that was due to the depleted O-line, but those problems persisted late into the season when the O-line started to gain continuity. Chip isn't coaching basic QB mechanics, that is on the QB coach.

Sure but I doubt Musgrave was teaching him wrong or bad technique. And once it became abundantly apparent he had bad footwork they must have been emphasizing it even more.

I just think Foles has bad mechanics and it was evident in his magical run as well. He still took terrible sacks, threw off balanced, or had terrible decision making. He just wasn't punished for it. Having film on him plus a season to prepare also hurt him.

Musgrave might be terrible but Foles isn't proof that imo.

Wow, very interesting

Well as much as we clown Cutler, turning around Chicago's defense is the main task so this makes sense. And Fox + Fangio seems like a great start.

Similar task as Quinn will have in Atlanta.

Bears signed the best D coordinator in the league. My only concern with Fangio is how will he do with mediocre players? He killed it with the elite niners D but his earlier stints in the nfl weren't so hot. Still. I think he has learned and had a lot to do with taking us from a good D to an elite D

Also joining the Bears:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 11m11 minutes ago
Former #49ers secondary coach Ed Donatell is expected to join new #Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio in Chicago, source said.

Jags have hired Doug Marrone:

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr 19s20 seconds ago
RT @ryanohalloran: #jaguars hire Doug Marrone as assistant head coach-offensive line.

Top Bottom