• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

Bowser

He's collecting two paychecks for one job. Doesn't get better than that.

There's only 32 HC jobs in the NFL. He should have really thought this move through. He could be stuck as a position coach for years because of the way he left Buffalo. And people who make it to the highest levels in their fields generally aren't motivated by money alone. That ambition is what separates them from the rest.

Draxal

There's only 32 HC jobs in the NFL. He should have really thought this move through. He could be stuck as a position coach for years because of the way he left Buffalo. And people who make it to the highest levels in their fields generally aren't motivated by money alone. That ambition is what separates them from the rest.

He was going to get fired after next season.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

He's smart enough to know that he wasn't going to last for long in Buffalo, so take two paychecks and find a job somewhere else. They have worse than nothing at QB right now. If the Jaguars turn around this year that puts him in great shape for his next job.

Bowser

We'll see. Mularkey quit the Bills gig and it took him 7 years to get another HC gig. And he lost that one after one year too.

Hunter S.

Love this article on Kubiak taking over a totally different situation in Denver then he had to as a Texan.

But he had to transform a team, him and Rick Smith, who came in June of ‘06. They had to transform the roster because there were so few players who were actually NFL worthy and he didn’t have that problem with the Broncos.”

They brought the scouting philosophy from the Broncos that assistant coaches get heavily involved and Gary doesn’t like the scouting personally, he likes to do it off tape. He likes to sit across the table from his top guys and look them in the eye and talk to them. He thinks that’s a big part of scouting, whether you’re at an individual workout or you’re at the combine. He’s big on that. He wants player that he thinks would be winners and as they transformed the roster here, they brought in a lot of players like that.

He won’t have that up there (in Denver). [Executive Vice President of Football Operations/General Manager] John [Elway] controls the roster and they’ve got a lot of good players already. [Kubiak] won’t have to come in and change anything like he did here. He can hit the ground running.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-a...y-Kubiak/8f6b37eb-7f7d-41d1-9250-2c5927ae772b

MechDX

MechDX

Football Perspective ‏@fbgchase · 4m4 minutes ago
Turnovers given up by each team over the last 5 years. Can you spot the outlier?

B70BNtLIIAA6nm7.png:large

Eli.

gutshot

I don't think he is worth it......

For any other team, probably not. For Chip Kelly and the Eagles though, definitely. We don't even have to project how he might look in this system, we already know he is the perfect quarterback.

My only concern is what the cost is going to be to move up from 20 to 4. I don't want to part with multiple 1st round picks, yet that is what it will likely take. Unless somehow we can work McCoy into the deal. Our best chance at landing him still relies on him falling out of the top 10. Which is possible, but a lot will depend on how scouts decide to grade him and his performance in the pre-draft evaluations.

For this draft, I think it's worth it to move up for your guy if you really want him. Will be easier to do so this year as it's a pretty weak class.

gutshot

I just don't see it, it's a LONG way back to pick 20, the Eagles would have to give-up too much

Yeah, if the top 3 falls like that I'm guessing the Eagles will talk trade with the Raiders but I don't think they will ultimately pull the trigger as I think Mariota would likely fall down to at least 10. (I know the Jets are desperate for a QB, but I don't think they will want to take yet another spread-option QB and hope he develops). Maybe Atlanta at 8 is a possible trade partner in that scenario? McCoy, pick no. 20 and a couple mid-rounders might do it?

gutshot

He's already all-in anyway with his recent takeover of personnel duties. Lurie is giving him a chance to prove himself the next Belichick. If he doesn't make serious strides in the next 2-3 years, he'll be gone, Mariota or not.

I don't think it'd take that much. Trade back to 20, take best WR there most likely. Stock up on some OL and DL in the 2nd and 3rd, maybe a ILB if there's a good one.
The Redskins traded up from #6 to #2 and it took two first rounders and a second rounder. You could argue Griffin was a "better" prospect but it's going to cost the Eagles quite a bit to move up to the #4 position. Even if they throw McCoy in as part of the trade. Especially with teams knowing that Kelly has a hard-on for him.

Rumor? Or just speculating?
Pure speculation and "I hear this about Chip"....

zychi

Banned
Who would honestly take Mariotta before Phi? If he drops pass the 3 or 4 teams who need a QB, he'll likely drop down to Phi anyways. Might only have to get up to #7 with the Bears and I'm sure they'll take other draft picks.

Gobias

Banned
There was once a time this season that the Browns and Seahwaks were both 6-3.

Also, I didn't watch much of Oregon this year, but Mariotta was not impressive at all against Ohio State. His best throw was a pass to the endzone where the receiver was pushed out of bounds. He missed a lot of chances that game.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Who would honestly take Mariotta before Phi? If he drops pass the 3 or 4 teams who need a QB, he'll likely drop down to Phi anyways. Might only have to get up to #7 with the Bears and I'm sure they'll take other draft picks.

Every team knows that Chip will take him, though. So any team that may want him knows exactly where they have to trade up to to get him, specifically teams with high second round picks. If Philly really wants him, they'll have to trade to make it happen.

Respect

Also, I didn't watch much of Oregon this year, but Mariotta was not impressive at all against Ohio State. His best throw was a pass to the endzone where the receiver was pushed out of bounds. He missed a lot of chances that game.

That was the first full game I've seen of Oregon all year...he was terrible. Receivers didn't help him early, but damn, he was quite unimpressive. I wasn't expecting that much, but he just looked lost/confused for most of that game.

2015 Draft Top 20:

1. Bucaneers
2. Titans
3. Jaguars
4. Raiders
5. Washington - Gruden/Griffin is a mess
6. Jets
7. Bears
8. Falcons
9. Giants
10. Rams
11. Vikings
12. Browns
13. Saints
14. Dolphins
15. Niners
16. Texans
17. Chargers
18. Chiefs - Could even make the argument Reid would give him a look!
19. Browns

The highlighted are teams that are QB needy and could fundamentally look to take Marcus. Add in the fact that the entirety of the NFL will know that Chip will want him will put these teams in a position of leverage to get as much out of the Eagles as possible. Never underestimate the desperation for a QB in a QB driven league first of all and the scenario that it wouldn't cost the Eagles "that much" to move up is laughable.

Top Bottom