• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

eznark

Banned
Sporano was the offensive line coach. Not sure why you guys are freaking out like this is some huge demotion. Probably got an AHC title to go with it like he did in Oakland.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
O-line coaches are fairly respected. TE coach is in charge of 3 guys at most. I can name most of the position coaches on the Steelers, but have no idea who the TE coach is. If he got the assistant tag, that mitigates things.

eznark

Banned
O-line coaches are fairly respected. TE coach is in charge of 3 guys at most. I can name most of the position coaches on the Steelers, but have no idea who the TE coach is. If he got the assistant tag, that mitigates things.

Generally it's used as either a grooming or a mentoring spot. In this case seems like mentoring.

Marty Hurney (who's somewhat calamitous exit from the Panthers is well known) had David Gettleman on his radio show today.

All I have to show for it is this open-palm insult

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 28m28 minutes ago Charlotte, NC
#Panthers GM Dave Gettleman to predecessor Marty Hurney on @ESPN730: Even though you left us a cap mess, you drafted a helluva quarterback.

But it's significant because Gett's language regarding Cam has completely changed from how it was when he first got the job two years ago. Back then it was"Nobody's indispensable. He's got to win or else." Now after two playoff exits, its "He's our franchise guy. He's a hell of a quarterback."

eznark

Banned

Wasn't the Steelers TE coach one of the guys who has been around forever, kind of helping keep the "steelers culture" going?

Pro

Take your chances with the punter.

Still don't blame him, it was a split second decision.

Yeah there was a lot of distance for that punter to close and there were other guys on him as well.

I'd still blame Hawk though on that play.

But regardless of Hawk or even Bostick's terrible onside kick debacle or the Defense finally running out of gas in OT after playing such a dominant game, I mostly blame McCarthy for being his usual conservative self with 6:00 minutes left and running the ball three straight times. First downs would be better and offense was moving the ball decently. It's sad because McCarthy needs to have more of a killer instinct with Rodgers. Look at guys like Belichik who are playing Tom Brady to the end of the 4th quarter being up 40 points. Now you can argue Rodgers was already injured and it was a safe play to keep him safe for the Super Bowl by playing conservatively but still. You gotta keep scoring in football, you gotta get first downs, and you need to dominate your opponent to the end. And with the best QB in football Coach, go get some more points.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 8m8 minutes ago

Former Raiders HC Tony Sparano is being hired as 49ers' TE coach, per sources. Stays right in Bay Area.

That's a pretty serious fall. At least he's still in the league, I guess.

Surprised he didn't get an o-line gig somewhere, but maybe not having to move played a part in it. Solid hire for the niners.

JABEE

I think Mariota would actually make the Eagles better if they somehow get him, but I don't want to give up two firsts and two seconds. Even that might not be enough.

jakncoke

Banned

lmao, had to google it but apparently we've had the same TE coach for 11 years James Daniel

gutshot

I think Mariota would actually make the Eagles better if they somehow get him, but I don't want to give up two firsts and two seconds. Even that might not be enough.

Yeah, I don't want to give up an extra first either. That's why our best hope is still that Mariota slides down draft boards. On that note...

The scoop: "All these teams high in the draft are all going to see the same things on tape with Mariota, and I'll bet he starts to fall on draft day. Once that happens, (Philadelphia Eagles coach) Chip (Kelly) will mortgage the future to go get him. If he misses on him, (Kelly) can just bolt back to college." -- AFC scout.

The skinny: While it might be premature to label Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota as a "draft day slider" before the NFL Scouting Combine or even his personal workout, we've seen the same concerns on tape that everyone else is seeing in terms of his anticipation, pocket poise and simplicity of scheme. Kelly recruited Mariota to Oregon to run his offense, and we're sure he would love to have a quarterback with Mariota's ability outside of the pocket to fully unlock the Eagles' offensive potential. Would Kelly be willing to risk the king's ransom it would likely take to move that far up from pick No. 20?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...l-us-inside-scoop-on-prospects-at-senior-bowl

RBH

aakqzpcanmcqihppjjm3.jpg

The NFL has announced that its three London games in 2015 will kick off at 9:30 a.m. Eastern. Which means three different fall Sundays will offer four football games in a row. Your body is not ready.

The three games (Jets-Dolphins on Oct. 4, Bills-Jaguars on Oct. 25, and Lions-Chiefs on Nov. 1) follow in the footsteps of last season's Lions-Falcons breakfast game, which, probably coincidentally, was the only London game so far to be memorable or even watchable.
http://deadspin.com/the-nfl-will-have-three-quadruple-headers-next-season-1681182121

RBH

hzkih9t2a2vy7lfrusrs.jpg

This morning, an official press release was sent out announcing that New Orleans Saints and Pelicans owner Tom Benson had drastically restructured his plans for the inevitable ownership transfer of each team. Under the new plan, the 87-year-old Benson's daughter, Renee Benson, and her two children will be cut out completely. Upon Benson's death, full ownership of the Saints and Pelicans will be transferred to his 67-year-old third wife, Gayle. Obviously, those family members who are being left out in the cold are not too happy about this, and they are now suing.

Renee and her two children, Rita Benson-LeBlanc and Ryan Benson-LeBlanc, filed a lawsuit in the Orleans Parish Civil District Court that seeks to block the change in succession. The lawsuit claims that Tom Benson lacks the mental capacity to make such a decision on his own, and is being manipulated by his wife.

"The petition says that Benson's mental health has also been deteriorating. When he was recently asked who the president of the United States was, he replied "Ronald Reagan" and then guessed "Harry Truman," according to the petition. It does not say who asked him those questions or who was present when he answered.

The petition claims that Benson shows brief periods of lucidity, but "that quickly turns into confusion.""

Looks like we've got a real old-fashioned American inheritance dispute on our hands, complete with an allegedly demented old billionaire, a potentially gold-digging third wife, and a group of jilted relatives who aren't about to let their billion-dollar nest egg be snatched away from them at the 11th hour. This dispute will probably drag on for a long time, and get uglier with each passing day.
http://deadspin.com/the-family-dispute-over-ownership-of-the-saints-is-gett-1681194567

MechDX

Adam Wexler ‏@awexler · 2m2 minutes ago
No surprise. #Kubiak RT @Jeff_Legwold: Buzz at Senior Bowl is #Broncos are talking to Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator candidate.

Getting the band back together in Denver

Mangini is actually not a bad hire. Weird that they fired him first tho lol

With him and Tarver, at least Tomsula is surrounding himself with smart people.

gutshot

Eagles hire Boston College OC Ryan Day as new QB coach, according to Caplan. Supposedly played for and later coached under Chip at New Hampshire.

Know nothing about this dude but he sounds like a Chip guy. Does BC run a spread offense? Might tell us what direction Chip plans to go at QB...

Mrbob

So Adam Gase turned down the Niners head coaching job to become offensive coordinator of Jay Cutler.

Guess Kap really is taboo.

Mang in at dc... I actually don't mind this. Hearing we are interviewing perry fewel for dB coach.

Seems we are surrounding tomsula with an experienced (if unspectacular) staff. This is good news

MRSA

Banned
Jack Del Rio putting the posey back together apparently, Sal Sunseri from FSU is being brought in as some sort of defensive coach (line?) coach. They were together back in Carolina I think?

Now if only that bum Mike Smith would sign we'd be in pretty good shape.

Jack Del Rio putting the posey back together apparently, Sal Sunseri from FSU is being brought in as some sort of defensive coach (line?) coach. They were together back in Carolina I think?

Now if only that bum Mike Smith would sign we'd be in pretty good shape.

I'm worried we're gonna end up with Mel Tucker

MRSA

Banned
Khalil-Mack-52.jpg

You know I'm never really a proponent of buying a current player's jersey but my love for Khalil Mack might just drive me to buy one.

I understand Mech's ever lasting hard on for Watt now.

Top Bottom