• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

LevelNth

Banned
Very, very pleased with the Niners coaching hires in the last few days. Tarver, Sparano and Mangini all fit well in their respective spots. Love how the D is shaping up for next year.

effzee

So Adam Gase turned down the Niners head coaching job to become offensive coordinator of Jay Cutler.

Guess Kap really is taboo.

Didn't he bomb his 2nd interview? Probably exposed as a glorified OC who had the luxury of coaching Manning.

Eagles hire Boston College OC Ryan Day as new QB coach, according to Caplan. Supposedly played for and later coached under Chip at New Hampshire.

Know nothing about this dude but he sounds like a Chip guy. Does BC run a spread offense? Might tell us what direction Chip plans to go at QB...

Don't know what to make of this. Wanted Garcia and his hot wife.

I think Mariota would actually make the Eagles better if they somehow get him, but I don't want to give up two firsts and two seconds. Even that might not be enough.

Same here. I'm all for moving up to get him but only if he slides past the Jets at 6 cause then I see him potentially dropping out if the top 10.

As much as the Eagles need a franchise QB, they have huge needs and holes all over the defense so they can't afford to throw away too many picks. Especially if they continue the trend of picking up low tier FA that we have seen over the last 2 seasons.

Maybe Foles can recapture that magic :(

What's the CB FA market shaping up to be? Besides Revis I mean since no way they get him.

gutshot

Free agent market for CBs looks pretty good.

Brandon Flowers
Antonio Cromartie
Kareem Jackson
Byron Maxwell

Might mean it makes sense to target a franchise QB in the draft and address your defensive holes via free agency.

Fox318

Brandon Flowers
Antonio Cromartie
Kareem Jackson
Byron Maxwell

Might mean it makes sense to target a franchise QB in the draft and address your defensive holes via free agency.

Idzik: "What are cbs?"

h1nch

Adam Wexler ‏@awexler · 2m2 minutes ago
No surprise. #Kubiak RT @Jeff_Legwold: Buzz at Senior Bowl is #Broncos are talking to Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator candidate.

Getting the band back together in Denver

Wade would be a great DC though I worry whether or not the Broncos have all the right pieces to run a 3-4. The last time they tried to run a 3-4 it didn't work out so well.

Also, it's funny considering Wade was actually the head coach of the Broncos for a year.

MRSA

Banned

Brandon Flowers
Antonio Cromartie
Kareem Jackson
Byron Maxwell

The only one I'd consider is Maxwell. Otherwise the other four are flashy types that jump routes or get burnt.

gutshot

The only one I'd consider is Maxwell. Otherwise the other four are flashy types that jump routes or get burnt.

Hey, jumping routes and making plays but occasionally getting burnt is better than just getting burnt repeatedly (see: Fletcher, Bradley).

Mrbob

Didn't he bomb his 2nd interview? Probably exposed as a glorified OC who had the luxury of coaching Manning.

It is possible. The stuff about his second interview started to come out after it was rumored Gase turned down the job. Hard to tell which camp is telling the truth.

Gase, being young for a coach ( only 36 ) might have had an ego problem with success at his age. It looks like John Fox was initially willing to part ways with him, but in the end decided to hire him back as OC. If Gase doesn't get the Bears OC is he even in the NFL anymore? Perhaps the whole experience has humbled him.

effzee

Brandon Flowers
Antonio Cromartie
Kareem Jackson
Byron Maxwell

Yeah hopefully with Chip in charge we might see a reversal on bringing in FAs. With Roseman after the 2011 dream team signings he completely swore off bringing in premium FAs.

Some of these guys, and better, were also available last year but they didn't even try to upgrade.

Hey, jumping routes and making plays but occasionally getting burnt is better than just getting burnt repeatedly (see: Fletcher, Bradley).

Yup! And considering how much we love Texans players I wouldn't be shocked to see Kareem as the pickup. Ideally I'd like Kareem and Maxwell.

Our own starting CBs are not coming back so we need two new starters no matter what.

I'd even target a pass rushing OLB because Marcus Smith is clearly not ready, Trent Cole is very old and probably cut, and we would be left with only Connor Barwin as a true 3-4 LB.

Don't think Graham is coming back either when he could easily sign with a 4-3 team and get more play time and shine. I could see him going to the Giants.

effzee

It is possible. The stuff about his second interview started to come out after it was rumored Gase turned down the job. Hard to tell which camp is telling the truth.

Gase, being young for a coach ( only 36 ) might have had an ego problem with success at his age. It looks like John Fox was initially willing to part ways with him, but in the end decided to hire him back as OC. If Gase doesn't get the Bears OC is he even in the NFL anymore? Perhaps the whole experience has humbled him.

Could have maybe joined Quinn's staff in Atlanta. Fix an offense with the tools already there and use that as another springboard to a HC job.

Shocked the Jets chose Chan Gailey of all people over someone like Gase.

Baalke: and then we will hire Mangini as your DC. Sounds like we are all set h...

Gase: uhh I mean I'm not sure about him I kind of wanted to select my own staff if I get hir...

Baalke: Dont I said don't talk back boy!!

LevelNth

Banned
Now we need chud and we are back to .500!
I'm not sure why people think anything will be worse than Harbaugh's offense. From the Super Bowl loss, it has only been a steady, precipitous decline and that staff showed nothing for us to assume it would get better before it got even worse.

This staff changeover has only concerned me from a D standpoint, since there was plenty of room to get worse. These hires have been awesome in that regard.

O can only go up.

I'm not sure why people think anything will be worse than Harbaugh's offense. From the Super Bowl loss, it has only been a steady, precipitous decline and that staff showed nothing for us to assume it would get better before it got even worse.

This staff changeover has only concerned me from a D standpoint, since there was plenty of room to get worse. These hires have been awesome in that regard.

O can only go up.

The one positive with harbs is we had very few turnovers. Couple that with an elite D and you can win some games

LevelNth

Banned
The one positive with harbs is we had very few turnovers. Couple that with an elite D and you can win some games
Totally true, but this past season they also wrongly opened up the offense and schemed Kap to put him in a position outside his strengths, and turnovers increased.

Again, trending worse.

Mrbob

O can only go up.

Is throwing more with Kap a good thing? But this is what needs to be done. However, he can't read defenses and always throws the ball 100mph. Maybe Kurt Warner will do magic with him this off season.

I don't know what else the new OC can do, more pistol runs? He is going to get crushed and hurt doing so. The NFL punishes running only QBs over time.

Niners, like the Bears, should draft a new Qb. Unfortunately this years class looks like hot garbage.

O can only go up.

Really...
KIFFIN.TENN_.jpg

Is throwing more with Kap a good thing? But this is what needs to be done. However, he can't read defenses and always throws the ball 100mph. Maybe Kurt Warner will do magic with him this off season.

I don't know what else the new OC can do, more pistol runs? He is going to get crushed and hurt doing so. The NFL punishes running only QBs over time.

Niners, like the Bears, should draft a new Qb. Unfortunately this years class looks like hot garbage.

It's not about kap throwing more or less. It's about putting him in favorable situations and give him easy throws like the seachickens do with wussle. Some of our route combos and play selections were baffling

Totally true, but this past season they also wrongly opened up the offense and schemed Kap to put him in a position outside his strengths, and turnovers increased.

Again, trending worse.

I agree with LevelNth here. I think the offense should be better this year (by how much is a different story). In the huge article earlier last year (I think it was si.com), the author mentioned that Harbs has never been ahead of the times with offense and for the most part was very old school with his approach. Whereas other teams would start to employ analytics and what not...Harbs was very much a pen and paper guy. All this doesn't say much by itself but when you look at the offense he put on the field, you see it. It's basically running the same exact plays out of different sets and using formation shifts to unbalance the defense. This was especially evident in the passing game too where both sides would run the same exact routes but line up differently (based on all-22's articles I read) Now that was novel in the first year but you could see that once teams started to understand it, he and his staff had a hard time countering. Basically, Harbs needed to do what we all were screaming at him to do...which was replace Roman.

At the same time though, in defense of Harbaugh....the injuries to our offensive line rationally explained many of our offensive woes. Iupati was a shell of his former self at LG. Injuries at center and RT were brutal. Anthony Davis was never really healthy though he did flash moments of being his regular self. His replacement, Jonathan Martin was basically a revolving door for much of the season (Chilo Rachal levels of bad- J. Martin was such a terrible signing/the guy isn't strong enough to play in the NFL- just gets bulldozed constantly at his position and can't generate any push). Boone held out and was predictably terrible and Staley had a down year. Having a line like that would make any top flight offense look bad.

eznark

Banned
Didn't the Niners try and start the season with a more open playbook but Kap couldn't handle it?

I think Chud would have been perfect for him.

LevelNth

Banned
Didn't the Niners try and start the season with a more open playbook but Kap couldn't handle it?

I wouldn't necessarily say 'open up', as Harbaugh still ran it very strictly (conveyed all the calls, hence the play clock issues, limited audibles, etc.).

The main aspect is they tailored the passing game to focus on intermediate and long throws because I believe they felt that was Kap's number 1 strength, which was a mis-evaluation of their part. Add in the horrible scheming and the decline through the year was evident.

eznark

Banned
What makes you say that was a misevaluation? From what I've watched he has serious Jeff George syndrome. All hard all the time.

Well it was a mixed bag. Going spread for a bit worked against the Cards and there would be times when he was reading the defense well. I actually think he progressed a bit at scanning the field as you saw him going through his progressions even when under duress early on. However, as the season progressed and his O line got continually exposed, he started dropping his eyes and got happy feet. Lack of a consistent run game to close out games really hurt too.

I feel like Kap needs to take a long hard look at his own passing mechanics. I know Harbs didn't feel like trying to fix it since Kap has a cannon of an arm but he really needs to improve his accuracy in general and on those short passes especially when most of his receiving core were possession guys.

What I worry most about him is really his mental makeup. I'm not sure you want your QB to be amped up the way he is. It's telling when you go on twitter and favorite all criticisms against you by random people. You might think it shows that you are fueled by haters but all it really shows is that you pay too much attention to what people say about you. That kind of shit translates into detrimental play on the field IMO..

Mrbob

It's not about kap throwing more or less. It's about putting him in favorable situations and give him easy throws like the seachickens do with wussle. Some of our route combos and play selections were baffling

Kap can't throw the ball like Wussle can. Wilson is good at throwing the deep ball and has good accuracy in general.

eznark

Banned
Well it was a mixed bag. Going spread for a bit worked against the Cards and there would be times when he was reading the defense well. I actually think he progressed a bit at scanning the field as you saw him going through his progressions even when under duress early on. However, as the season progressed and his O line got continually exposed, he started dropping his eyes and got happy feet. Lack of a consistent run game to close out games really hurt too.

I feel like Kap needs to take a long hard look at his own passing mechanics. I know Harbs didn't feel like trying to fix it since Kap has a cannon of an arm but he really needs to improve his accuracy in general and on those short passes especially when most of his receiving core were possession guys.

What I worry most about him is really his mental makeup. I'm not sure you want your QB to be amped up the way he is. It's telling when you go on twitter and favorite all criticisms against you by random people. You might think it shows that you are fueled by haters but all it really shows is that you pay too much attention to what people say about you. That kind of shit translates into detrimental play on the field IMO..

Eh, Rodgers reads all that shit too. He jus isn't dumb enough to favorite it

Kap can't throw the ball like Wussle can. Wilson is good at throwing the deep ball and has good accuracy in general.

Is Russle more accurate? I just feel like he lofts it better which makes it a more catchable whereas Kap just slings it like a fast ball..

Eh, Rodgers reads all that shit too. He jus isn't dumb enough to favorite it

That's what I'm saying though...I thought Rodgers' response earlier this season was brilliant in its brevity. Told everyone to relax and just carried on. Kap unfortunately can be coaxed into a shouting match..

MechDX

Don't hate us. We just want to turn Ware into JJ-lite.

Wait, was that racist?

Koller is a good damn coach. Been JJs positional coach since he was drafted. What is cool though is BOB released him because he wanted to be closer to his family even though he was still under contract

And Eagles need to fuck off and leave Kareem alone. He is our hard hitting CB

cdyhybrid

Russell has a good arm, but he seems content to just throw jump balls more often than not. When he really airs it out the passes are very pretty.

Hunter S.

Defensive line coach Bill Kollar will be leaving the #Texans to join Gary Kubiak with the #Broncos.

Fuck the Broncos. I liked Kollar.

The one guy I would pay attention to now is Pepper Johnson for the defensive line opening. #Texans

But I'm on with his potential replacement. Bring him in Rac.

If there is anything to emulate on the Texans it has been the defense. I am starting to wonder if Kubiak is bringing in too many old friends though.

marshawn2.png

Found out one of my favorite local restaurants in the area is closing down. Little hole in the wall bistro called Smoke. All organic local product, amazing BBQ and the best damned cole slaw I've ever had. Fucking sucks.:(

MechDX

If there is anything to emulate on the Texans it has been the defense. I am starting to wonder if Kubiak is bringing in too many old friends though.

Nail meet hammer. Kubes loyalty bullshit is maddening and was a key contributor to his downfall here

Lot of teams should have taken Bridgewater heh

Anywho, seeing reports that JThomas may be moving on from Denver...not sure if we'll be able to meet his price tag and good tight ends are a premium in this league.

Damn, that Manziel stuff is brutal. Not showing up to the building because he's drunk off his ass, completing less than 50% of his passes during non full-speed practices, having to have other players correct play calls in the huddle, some vets clearly not wanting to play with Manziel, etc. Good luck Cleveland, you're going to need it

Top Bottom