• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| Mock draft Central sponsored by the Shirtless League

MechDX

RT @MarkKaboly_Trib: Steelers get compensatory pick moved from 7th to 6th. Rooney said there was miscommunication.

Same day Kraft and Heinz merge? Coincidence?

ampere

The funny thing is we tried the ineligible-eligible swaps a few plays in the AFCC and it didn't work at all. I don't think it was a big deal to continue to let coaches run that or to ban it

Consistency is only good when you are consistently good. It's easy for you to say when your major points of reference are Tomlin and Cowher.

I mean yeah, the Redskins should totally offer Jay Gruden a 20 year contract.

Ì feel you're conflating positions here. Is Philbin responsible for player personnel?

Economics with a heavy focus on finance. My masters would be in Financial Economics as well, with a more econometrical approach to it all.

I didn't 'take' the cooking job yet, haven't signed anything yet and tomorrow is just a test drive basically, but I got the offer because a friend I worked with before at a restaurant works there now and he wants to work with me again. So figured I'll give it a go, because I kinda miss cooking, but the closer it gets the more I'm remembered of the not so fun aspects of it all. Things like the terrible hours, the fact that the chef is a bit of a cunt and so on.
That sounds like a very practical degree. You'll be in good shape to join the best country on earth once you're done with that.

Okay so if tomorrow is a test drive you should be even less stressed! You'll probably have a much better idea of whether or not you want to do it after that. If it sucks then just don't take it, you still have a job to fall back on so no real loss there. What I'm saying is at least wait until you have to make a decision to be stressed. :)

We scored a touchdown on one of them

And it was glorious

fatpat.0.gif

eznark

Banned
Econometricians, they’re ever so pious
Are they doing real science or confirming their bias?
Their “Keynesian” models are tidy and neat
But that top down approach is a fatal conceit

Farooq

Banned
If no one else wants to do the Cowboys mock, I wouldn't mind.

They usually pick players that they bring in for an official visit. In the past 5 years, I think Claiborne was the only first round pick they didn't bring in for a visit.

They have invited the following players so far,

Todd Gurely RB
Melvin Gordon RB
Jay Ajayi RB
Ameer Abdullah RB
Tevin Coleman RB
Damarious Randall S
Kevin Johnson CB
Benardrick McKinney LB

That is a whole lot of running backs. First round looks like Gurely, Gordon, or Johnson right now.

MechDX

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora · 3m3 minutes ago
Among the other changes, teams can now open or close domes at halftime and linebackers can wear numbers in the 40s...

About time they changed the roof opening rule. Not like the Texans ever actually open the damn thing anyways but....

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL · 42s43 seconds ago
Coaches would have choice to move ball to 1 1/2 yard line to go for 2 or kick from 15. Should pass in May.

Good with it.

MechDX

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 31s32 seconds ago
Goodell says the league is looking into “several” teams for anti-tampering window violations. I’ve heard more than 20. No word on penalties

Reading my Twitter, Goodell has no resolution on:

Deflategate
TextGate
FA tampering
AP situation
Playoff expansion

Does this motherfucker achieve anything?

Don't forget to get involved with out NFL-GAF Team mock draft! Here we try to predict the picks our team makes with a team of fans! Let me know if you want to join and for what team and I'll add you to the list.

MOCK DRAFT PARTY
Let's just do the sign up now because it's gonna take forever

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Syrinx
2. Tennessee Titans -
3. Jacksonville Jaguars -
4. Oakland Raiders - Officerrob
5. Washington Redskins -
6. New York Jets - Shadyspace
7. Chicago Bears -
8. Atlanta Falcons -
9. New York Giants - Futurevoid, BigAT
10. St. Louis Rams -
11. Minnesota Vikings -
12. Cleveland Browns - BlackGhost
13. New Orleans Saints -
14. Miami Dolphins - Darkest Red, HiMyNameIsChris, Bread
15. San Francisco 49ers - bigosc2k
16. Houston Texans - MechDX
17. San Diego Chargers -
18. Kansas City Chiefs -
19. Cleveland Browns (from Buffalo) -
20. Philadelphia Eagles -
21. Cincinnati Bengals -
22. Pittsburgh Steelers -
23. Detroit Lions -
24. Arizona Cardinals -
25. Carolina Panthers - Grover Cleveland
26. Baltimore Ravens -
27. Dallas Cowboys -
28. Denver Broncos - Godslay, MetalFearSolid
29. Indianapolis Colts - Spinluck
30. Green Bay Packers -
31. New Orleans Saints (from Seattle) -
32. New England Patriots - Dutch, Gata, Case

In spirit:
Buffalo Bills -
Seattle Seahawks -

And don't forget the official Predict the Pick league, where you can make your own personal prediction of every draft pick and show Mel Kiper what's up!

http://predictpick.nfl.com/groups/view/242

Our predict the pick league for this year friends, the password is Gronkislife (with a capital G).

MechDX

Don't forget to get involved with out NFL-GAF Team mock draft! Here we try to predict the picks our team makes with a team of fans! Let me know if you want to join and for what team and I'll add you to the list.

MOCK DRAFT PARTY

And don't forget the official Predict the Pick league, where you can make your own personal prediction of every draft pick and show Mel Kiper what's up!

Our predict the pick league for this year friends, the password is Gronkislife (with a capital G).

Why am I no longer on the list?

MOCK DRAFT PARTY

I joined your group friend

Looks like Grudens camp starts April 7th with Mariota. Looking at the schedule it seems Hundley and petty will be aired the same day.

You can add me to the Browns mock
And the Texans mock
Naw they don't expire. I have the code at home. Will more than likely give it away. I usually get free renewals and whatnot anyways.
You should help a college ghost out :)

Holy fuck, I can't even begin to express how badly I would love to listen to Tom Coughlin talk about and attempt to understand millennial:

Tom Rock ‏@TomRock_Newsday
Coughlin said he and Giants did a sociological study on millenials to better understand the generation of players now coming into the NFL.

He has the topic for his next book sealed up. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.:D

Are you saying Philbin is a good head coach?

No. I'm saying despite what you may think you do not want a coach who is constantly flip flopping players on the depth chart. In addition, certain positions require more stability than others, namely offensive line.

Frankly I don't care whether or not you want Philbin fired, and think he lacks certain nuances for the coaching game (namely a personality) but you gotta play the hand you're dealt, and the Dolphins aren't exactly known for their player evaluation.

No. I'm saying despite what you may think you do not want a coach who is constantly flip flopping players on the depth chart. In addition, certain positions require more stability than others, namely offensive line.

Frankly I don't care whether or not you want Philbin fired, and think he lacks certain nuances for the coaching game (namely a personality) but you gotta play the hand you're dealt, and the Dolphins aren't exactly known for their player evaluation.
Wow, I totally misread your original post. I thought you were saying consistency among coaches is key, not players.

Funny you should mention offensive line. The original starting 5 last season was serviceable and I had no problem with consistency there. However, you have to remember this line was completely different than the 2014 line and was remade in a single offseason so there was little to no depth. Albert, the star LT, went down and everything went to shit. The rookie RT shifted to his spot at LT and a backup (Dallas Thomas) came in to play RT. All the while the injured Mike Pouncey is returning to a different position (G instead of C) but that's a whole other story.

Anyway, Dallas Thomas sucked. He was absolute trash at RT. The entire line fell apart primarily because of how terrible he was holding down that side of the line. This happened game after game and Philbin refused to give anyone else a shot at RT, even though he had a proven backup in Jason Fox on the roster. Finally Thomas gets hurt and Fox comes in for the final two games of the season. He plays much, much better than Thomas ever did.

There are times when being stubborn makes sense, like keeping Tannehill at QB when he got off to a slow start last season. There are other times when it's just an issue of a coach's arrogance refusing to let them admit they made a mistake, like Thomas starting over Fox once the entire line had to be shifted. A great coach will strike the right balance but Philbin is too far on the stubborn side.

That sounds like a very practical degree. You'll be in good shape to join the best country on earth once you're done with that.

Okay so if tomorrow is a test drive you should be even less stressed! You'll probably have a much better idea of whether or not you want to do it after that. If it sucks then just don't take it, you still have a job to fall back on so no real loss there. What I'm saying is at least wait until you have to make a decision to be stressed. :)

I just don't wanna go in the first place :(

But I just need to get over it and go. I don't like new places like that.

Which teams have drafted the best over the past 5 years?

Patriots are first (uh, okay), but you'd never guess in a million years who's ranked #2.

This can't be right, you've told me time and time again Bill can't draft for shit.

bear-bowling-happy-dance-naked-shirtless-beard-gif-furry-hairy-chest-nips-pits-cap-hat.gif

Shirtless bowling. Duh

I'm in.

BigAT

MOCK DRAFT PARTY

I'll be part of the GiantsGAF tribunal once again.

eznark

Banned
Wouldn't the Packers having only one player on their roster they didn't draft make them the best?

Packers don't really grade out well individually outside of Rodgers and Nelson.

Personally I'd probably look at it as % of drafted players still on the roster divided by wins to come up a number. There's no great way to do it though. Adding in four points of failure seems like the absolute worst way to try and solve the problem though.

Trey

Browns have the most valuable draft on paper! Too bad they normally don't draft well:

The Browns had two first-rounders in last year’s draft after ripping off the Colts in the Trent Richardson deal, but they turned those picks into Justin Gilbert and Johnny Manziel, who look like colossal failures after disastrous rookie seasons. What’s to say they won’t screw up their two first-rounders in this draft?

That is a real possibility, but it’s also not the point. The Browns may very well be horrific at drafting and/or developing talent. That’s a problem. If the Browns are awful judges of character and talent, the best thing for them isn’t to trade up or keep a high pick. It’s actually to trade down and try to accrue as many picks as possible, if only in the hopes that they’ll stumble onto a winner with the extra selections.

Top Bottom