• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| Mock draft Central sponsored by the Shirtless League

Tony Sparano was 11-5 in his first season.

112114-sparano.jpg

I only ranked the top 10 I think. Philbin I would put at like 19 on this list.

I get on you for blasting Philbin because you don't have a replacement in mind.
Set aside the replacement issue as it's difficult for us as fans to be a good judge of who the next great NFL coach will be. If you had the 19th (at best) best coach in the NFL for three seasons and the team made little to no progress overall (7-9, 8-8, 8-8) and collapsed at the end of two seasons to miss the playoffs would you be cool with bringing him back for a fourth year?

I get your replacement point but I don't know how I'm supposed to recognize a good replacement. However, it's not hard to evaluate what Philbin has done as a head coach which is jack shit.

dionysus

Yaldog
I like O'Brien but I feel like Zimmer did just as much with more holes due to injury while putting out fires that AP started.

I think the Texans roster had average talent but O'brien is getting too much credit. To get a good portion of those wins after the 2-14 season was as easy as doing almost anything at the QB position other than Schaub and Keenum. Any coach would have made changes at that position. (Other than Kubiak, I could see him declaring that Schaub had fixed his problems in the offseason and giving him the starting job again.)

MechDX

I like O'Brien but I feel like Zimmer did just as much with more holes due to injury while putting out fires that AP started.

Ill admit my opinion is slightly jaded after the shit storm of 2013. Watching your barely above .500 coach continue to do the same incorrect thing over and over and over will do that to a fan.

O'Brien is like the complete opposite of Kubiak and something that was needed here for a while.

I think the Texans roster had average talent but O'brien is getting too much credit. To get a good portion of those wins after the 2-14 season was as easy as doing almost anything at the QB position other than Schaub and Keenum. Any coach would have made changes at that position.

Fitzpatrick, Mallett, Savage and Keenum at QB, in a new offensive system, with a disgruntled long time team legend at WR. Im not bashing or downplaying Zimmer or any other coach but for this situation at this time O'Brien has been nothing but awesome.

Ill admit my opinion is slightly jaded after the shit storm of 2013. Watching your barely above .500 coach continue to do the same incorrect thing over and over and over will do that to a fan.

O'Brien is like the complete opposite of Kubiak and something that was needed here for a while.
I like to mess with you but I like what O'Brien has done so far. Plus he's very charismatic and intelligent. Having a zombie coach your favorite team for three seasons makes you a lot more envious of teams who have coaches that actually possess the leadership qualities needed to lead and control an NFL team.

I hope O'Brien builds off of last season and continues to move in a positive direction. The one thing that worries me about that is the whole QB situation.

eznark

Banned
Set aside the replacement issue as it's difficult for us as fans to be a good judge of who the next great NFL coach will be. If you had the 19th (at best) best coach in the NFL for three seasons and the team made little to no progress overall (7-9, 8-8, 8-8) and collapsed at the end of two seasons to miss the playoffs would you be cool with bringing him back for a fourth year?

I get your replacement point but I don't know how I'm supposed to recognize a good replacement. However, it's not hard to evaluate what Philbin has done as a head coach which is jack shit.

The biggest complaints I can see are one really awful game management fuckup (truly that was bad) and that you don't like his demeanor.

If you can't pick a guy, and I don't blame you for that, at least say what you'd like to see in a coach. I'll tell you what, given the number of coaches (and clowns) the Dolphins have trotted in the last 15 years I bet at least one hits every tickmark you'll name!

Here is what I would want in a Dolphins head coach right now:
- Offensive minded
- Strong QB track record
- Comfortable with multiple systems
- Fiery leader
- Strong player personnel presence

Philbin nails the first three. Falls short in the last two. I look at that list though and I look at realistic potential candidates, and he's better than them. I personally think being a "fiery" guy is oevrrated but that locker room feels like it lacks life, so there is value in it there. The last one is necessary only because your front office is a fucking joke.

I dunno. If Philbin fails this year though the guy I would push for is Chud probably.

Ultimately most of the criticism of Philbin on this board is not on the field related. It's "the guy is milquetoast" and pointing the finger at him for PP moves.

Personally I think he's an excellent coach ill-suited for head coaching, but right now he is the Dolphins best option if they want Tannehill to be successful.

The biggest complaints I can see are one really awful game management fuckup (truly that was bad) and that you don't like his demeanor.

If you can't pick a guy, and I don't blame you for that, at least say what you'd like to see in a coach. I'll tell you what, given the number of coaches (and clowns) the Dolphins have trotted in the last 15 years I bet at least one hits every tickmark you'll name!

- Offensive minded
- Strong QB track record

- Fiery leader

Philbin nails the first three. Falls short in the last two. I look at that list though and I look at realistic potential candidates, and he's better than them. I personally think being a "fiery" guy is oevrrated but that locker room feels like it lacks life, so there is value in it there. The last one is necessary only because your front office is a fucking joke.

I dunno. If Philbin fails this year though the guy I would push for is Chud probably.

Promote the Lazor!

I like to mess with you but I like what O'Brien has done so far. Plus he's very charismatic and intelligent. Having a zombie coach your favorite team for three seasons makes you a lot more envious of teams who have coaches that actually possess the leadership qualities needed to lead and control an NFL team.

I hope O'Brien builds off of last season and continues to move in a positive direction. The one thing that worries me about that is the whole QB situation.

I can back this up. After Childress and Frazier, Zimmer feels like a beacon of charisma and leadership. It's refreshing to see that your coach cares. The, "we made some mistakes and have room for improvement" schtick after a three score loss was going to make me rip my eyes out.

Zimmer gives a shit. Guy has me believing.

Respect

Playing bloodborne yesterday and downed the werewolf barehanded when you first zone in and got to the first light without dying and was feeling like...

bender-s-strut-o.gif

3 hours later and no boss down I was feeling like...

jesse-pinkman-crying-breaking-bad.gif

But you are an expert cook! It will be hectic but as long as you enjoy cooking somewhat you'll adjust and be awesome at it. I'm sure you'll have some help getting started. How much school do you have left theoretically?

This will make you feel better. Dolphins coaches career records:

Tony Sparano: 25-23
Joe Philbin: 23-25

Well in theory I could be done with my Bachelor degree in the summer and then would do a 1 year Master, but I'm looking into an internship which would extend it by another year.

I love to cook, but there is a big difference between cooking and working in a high level kitchen again, so I'm a bit nervous about it. Also I'm happy in the Apple Store as a salesman, so changing jobs isn't even necessary. I don't know man

MechDX

Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta · 47m47 minutes ago
Carroll repeats what said earlier that BJ Daniels will be used as a receiver this year as well as a QB and at both return spots.

Rando. How does this make you feel?

- Offensive minded
- Strong QB track record
- Fiery leader

Ultimately most of the criticism of Philbin on this board is not on the field related. It's "the guy is milquetoast" and pointing the finger at him for PP moves.

Personally I think he's an excellent coach ill-suited for head coaching, but right now he is the Dolphins best option if they want Tannehill to be successful.
This is a good post and I agree with just about all of it. I get where you're coming from. Here's the thing, my biggest complaint with Philbin is not anything that specific, it's this: 7-9, 8-8, 8-8.

I also hate how stubborn Philbin is. We've seen this with his refusal to change his coaching staff until he's forced into doing it (Sherman being fired, Coyle STILL being the DC), his refusal to bench abysmal players for backups (usually simply because the backups are younger), and his inability to make adjustments to the gameplan to help the team succeed in the second half of games. Philbin is a smart offensive mind but he's not good at thinking and adjusting on the fly.

The front office situation is weird with Tannebaum coming in but Hickey has done well as a GM so far and they are making a lot of smart moves this offseason. In particular they have found smart ways to shed a lot of the crazy contracts Ireland dished out in his "all in" offseason of 2013.

Also, I don't think I've ever complained about Philbin making bad PP moves. His involvement with FA and the draft seems fairly minor compared to his higher ups.

MechDX

This is a good post and I agree with just about all of it. I get where you're coming from. Here's the thing, my biggest complaint with Philbin is not anything that specific, it's this: 7-9, 8-8, 8-8.

I also hate how stubborn Philbin is. We've seen this with his refusal to change his coaching staff until he's forced into doing it (Sherman being fired, Coyle STILL being the DC), his refusal to bench abysmal players for backups (usually simply because the backups are younger), and his inability to make adjustments to the gameplan to help the team succeed in the second half of games. Philbin is a smart offensive mind but he's not good at thinking and adjusting on the fly.

The front office situation is weird with Tannebaum coming in but Hickey has done well as a GM so far and they are making a lot of smart moves this offseason. In particular they have found smart ways to shed a lot of the crazy contracts Ireland dished out in his "all in" offseason of 2013.

Also, I don't think I've ever complained about Philbin making bad PP moves. His involvement with FA and the draft seems fairly minor compared to his higher ups.

Damn. The bolded is Gary Kubiak to a damn T. Im sorry.

Remember when he wouldn't bench Thomas for Fox even though Thomas was giving up multiple sacks per game, and then when Thomas was hurt and Fox came in he played great for the last two meaningless games of the season?

Good times

MechDX

=)

He really does have that feel of a great coach. Hope he lives up to that.

Has a lot going against him:

First time NFL head coach
No legit starting QB right now
Is from the vaunted Bell Belichick coaching tree

its also possible the team can actually go backwards this season. I don't think it will happen but it could. Maybe I am just overly optimistic because he actually knows you can change up your gameplan week to week and even during a game itself! That was witchcraft to Kubiak

Bread

Banned
I think my Dolphins should get a Belichick type coach, and maybe a Josh McDaniels type offensive coordinator. That might do them some good.

Remember when he wouldn't bench Thomas for Fox even though Thomas was giving up multiple sacks per game, and then when Thomas was hurt and Fox came in he played great for the last two meaningless games of the season?

Good times
"I know he gave up 17 sacks in one quarter but there is also a lot of film showing some great blocks he made."

Well in theory I could be done with my Bachelor degree in the summer and then would do a 1 year Master, but I'm looking into an internship which would extend it by another year.

I love to cook, but there is a big difference between cooking and working in a high level kitchen again, so I'm a bit nervous about it. Also I'm happy in the Apple Store as a salesman, so changing jobs isn't even necessary. I don't know man
What's your degree going to be in if you don't mind me asking?

Why did you take the cooking job? I'm guessing milch's theory was correct about you not wanting to sell Apple Watches.

Personally I think being stubborn is a good thing. Can't say I remember the last coach who had a roulette wheel at any position that was successful. Coaching is like investing - consistency is key.

Drakeon

I don't like the Mike Pettine ranking. They list out all the things that he had to deal with, say it's amazing he got us to 7-9 then rank him second last.

But then again this is a coach ranking, I'll forget about it in 5 minutes.

As a non-Browns fan, I was shocked to see him at basically the bottom of the list. Certainly deserves to be better than Gus Bradley, Jack Del Rio and Joe Philbin given what he was working with last year.

Personally I think being stubborn is a good thing. Can't say I remember the last coach who had a roulette wheel at any position that was successful. Coaching is like investing - consistency is key.
Consistency is only good when you are consistently good. It's easy for you to say when your major points of reference are Tomlin and Cowher.

I mean yeah, the Redskins should totally offer Jay Gruden a 20 year contract.

BigAT

Holy fuck, I can't even begin to express how badly I would love to listen to Tom Coughlin talk about and attempt to understand millennial:

Tom Rock ‏@TomRock_Newsday
Coughlin said he and Giants did a sociological study on millenials to better understand the generation of players now coming into the NFL.

MechDX

NFL owners have passed the rule proposal banning the use of ineligable receivers like the Patriots did in the AFC divisional playoffs.--Ravens Twitter

I'll represent the Cards in the mock as usual, I'm assuming we're just doing the first round and that the date won't be chosen until every team is filled?

Jnc at Arians being #8 despite winning the actual Coach of the Year award two of the three years he's headed a team and these three years being the last three and thus, most relevant. Just a dumb internet list I know, just funny.

Good lord, that Order nonsense is in here too? That had to be up there for the most sheer stupidity I've seen concerning game discussion on GAF. It doesn't get much worse than making up a bunch of lies and bashing the hell out of the game over said lies before the game even comes out and anyone has played a single second of it. I've actually played the entire game and it was pretty damn good. The main disappointment was that it ended with things unresolved, clearly with a sequel in mind and I'm not sure if one will come as I'm not aware of how well it sold.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Mike Prisuta ‏@DVEMike 1h1 hour ago

GB HC Mike McCarthy (Greenfield): "There's two types of people, people that are from western Pennsylvania and people that wish they were."

eznark

Banned
Holy fuck, I can't even begin to express how badly I would love to listen to Tom Coughlin talk about and attempt to understand millennial:

Tom Rock ‏@TomRock_Newsday
Coughlin said he and Giants did a sociological study on millenials to better understand the generation of players now coming into the NFL.

Just thinking about it is the best. I want to hear him give a TED Talk on millenials now.

What's your degree going to be in if you don't mind me asking?

Why did you take the cooking job? I'm guessing milch's theory was correct about you not wanting to sell Apple Watches.

Economics with a heavy focus on finance. My masters would be in Financial Economics as well, with a more econometrical approach to it all.

I didn't 'take' the cooking job yet, haven't signed anything yet and tomorrow is just a test drive basically, but I got the offer because a friend I worked with before at a restaurant works there now and he wants to work with me again. So figured I'll give it a go, because I kinda miss cooking, but the closer it gets the more I'm remembered of the not so fun aspects of it all. Things like the terrible hours, the fact that the chef is a bit of a cunt and so on.

NFL owners have passed the rule proposal banning the use of ineligable receivers like the Patriots did in the AFC divisional playoffs.--Ravens Twitter

So sad. IT'S SO DIFFICULT TO COUNTER! WE DON'T UNDERSTAND IT! PLEASE BAN IT!

The Irsay approach.

Top Bottom