• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| Mock draft Central sponsored by the Shirtless League

I really, really dislike Daniel Jeremiah but his comp of Rivers and Winston is pretty much spot on to me. Can make all the throws, intelligent on the field, stays tall in the pocket and climbs it well keeping eyes downfield, tendency to lose focus, can under-perform in big games.

I like it, hadn't heard it before.
You don't like him, really? I've been listening to his podcast and I love it.

eznark

Banned
I've looked into it, and it appears I have conflated Elliot Harris and Daniel Jeremiah in my mind.

I have no strong opinions on Jeremiah, other than his Winston take is nails.

you should leave this thread then. relly has a problem with posting gifs that spoil tv shows.

wsaFJ19.jpg

I see that 2.5 update is up for ps4

He's short and went to Central Michigan. He's also worked hard and become a much better player than what he was when drafted.

He and Manny Sanders had to compete to see which one would dress every week for the game. Tomlin set them up in competition against each other. I think that plus having someone like Hines mentor him early really got Antonio the kind of early help he needed to jump start things. It would be interesting to see whether he'd have the same kind of career elsewhere. In this case I think the environment really helped.

Fox318

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article16339412.html

0O3CUwW.jpg

PHOENIX
Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera took more questions Wednesday about a practice squad receiver than the wideout who came in as a rookie and immediately became quarterback Cam Newton’s favorite target.

For the record, Rivera thinks both players can help.

While first-round pick Kelvin Benjamin caught 73 passes for 1,008 yards and a team-leading nine touchdowns in 2014, Stephen Hill remained a popular conversation topic among fans after the Panthers picked him up after the second-round pick from 2012 had been waived by the Jets.

With his 6-foot-4 frame and good speed, the idea of Hill lining up alongside Benjamin is tantalizing. Hill’s problem in New York was holding on to the ball, as he struggled with dropped passes.

But Rivera believes Hill’s year on the practice squad allowed him to relax. Rivera appreciated Hill’s approach to a thankless job.

“He had been a second-round pick. He had no assumptions, no entitlement. He ran all scout team for us. He ran hard, gave great looks,” Rivera said during the final day of the NFL owners meetings. “You watch a guy perform who could very easily dog it, and he didn’t. You saw him grow.”

While Ted Ginn Jr. is expected to slide into his former spot as the No. 3 wideout, the Panthers could use another receiver to stretch the field. Rivera said Hill, who had offseason surgery on his thumb, will get a chance.

Meanwhile, Rivera expects improvement from Benjamin this year, in part because there is no second-season wall.

“The thing that was interesting about Kelvin is you saw him hit the rookie wall because of our style of play and how long the year was,” Rivera said. “But once he got his second wind, then you saw the productivity come back up.”

NFL revises comp picks: The NFL announced Wednesday it had erred in its awarding of several compensatory picks, including one given to the Panthers. The Panthers initially received fifth and sixth round comp picks, but now will have two comp picks in the fifth round.

The Panthers will still have nine picks overall, including three in the fifth round.

Buying in bulk: Rivera got a firsthand update on defensive tackle Star Lotulelei’s surgically repaired foot when he recently ran into him in Charlotte.

“He and his family were there at Sam’s Club and he seemed to be moving pretty good,” Rivera said. “He said he’d actually just seen Dr. (Robert) Anderson. He told me he had a great report, that his foot was doing really well.”

Lotulelei had surgery in January after breaking a bone in his foot during practice before the playoff loss at Seattle.

Changes coming to the PAT: NFL officials haven’t overhauled the extra point yet, but they’re expected to in May when owners meet in San Francisco.

A lively discussion led to a number of proposals to jazz up a play that Patriots coach Bill Belichick has been arguing for a couple of years has become too automatic.

Some coaches argued for doing away with the after-point kick entirely, while one proposal would give teams a choice: Go for two points from the 1 1/2-yard line or line up at the 15 for what would be a 33-yard kick for one point.

The league is also looking at allowing the defense to score points on the play, which would follow the college model.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article16339412.html#storylink=cpy

All you need to know about the Panthers not knowing what they are doing is they think Hill is signed.

The big knock on Breshad Perriman seems to be his hands. He has a lot of great physical traits but I just hate drafting WR's that struggle with job responsibility #1.

bionic77

Taxes are the worst.

If it were not for the racism and hatred towards women I could easily be a Republican.

My dad used to always get an extension until October and pay his taxes at that point but I don't see that making a big difference. I would rather get that shit out of the way.

Ugh, hate sending the government money in April. And fuck my accountant. Why doesn't that lazy fuck find some loopholes so that I can avoid paying taxes like NFL owners and other rich people?

Thanks Obama! Now I am as poor as Gata (or least I feel that way).

Taxes are the worst.

If it were not for the racism and hatred towards women I could easily be a Republican.

My dad used to always get an extension until October and pay his taxes at that point but I don't see that making a big difference. I would rather get that shit out of the way.

Ugh, hate sending the government money in April. And fuck my accountant. Why doesn't that lazy fuck find some loopholes so that I can avoid paying taxes like NFL owners and other rich people?

Screw that. Change your allowances so you don't owe money when tax season rolls around!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Taxes are the worst.

You must be self employed or work as an independent contractor.

Do you have to pay all that extra FICA at once or something?

rando14

Taxes are the worst.

Does Gata even have an income though? Maybe Gata's way of life is the best way to go: live with your parents, don't work, perhaps even fake an injury and collect SSDI checks for the rest of your life!!

Hmmm if I didn't have dreams, I might be tempted!!

eznark

Banned
Taxes are the worst.

The savings come in the preparation. Most accountants will give you a discount for doing work out of season. Ultimately though your cash flow concerns should come before your income tax returns. Fuck the government. As long as you are in compliance they can go fuck themselves with a rusty gata.

Screw that. Change your allowances so you don't owe money when tax season rolls around!

Nothing like an interest free loan to the government! Sound strategy!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Does Gata even have an income though? Maybe Gata's way of life is the best way to go: live with your parents, don't work, perhaps even fake an injury and collect SSDI checks for the rest of your life!!

Hmmm if I didn't have dreams, I might be tempted!!

Doesn't Gata pave parking lots for a living with his parents' business?

bionic77

You must be self employed or work as an independent contractor.

Do you have to pay all that extra FICA at once or something?
Its mostly from selling stocks.

I agree with Republicans that there should be no taxes until I take that shit out and put it in my bank.

Fuck this country!!!!

The savings come in the preparation. Most accountants will give you a discount for doing work out of season. Ultimately though your cash flow concerns should come before your income tax returns. Fuck the government. As long as you are in compliance they can go fuck themselves with a rusty gata.

Nothing like an interest free loan to the government! Sound strategy!
Shit my accountant didn't offer savings.

I need a new accountant. This bastard is like those assholes you see at walmart!

eznark

Banned
My accountant is rad. Two of the last five years he has had February heart attacks resulting in medically induced comas and has still gotten my taxes done on time! Mike is a stud!

Nothing terrifies me more than his eventual death.....

Taxing unrealized capital gains is a fucking travesty.

Ideal scenario is breaking even, no? I changed mine so I get a minimal return.

Your deductions should be as small as possible and ideally you'll get a better return on those held resources than the tax rate.

gutshot

Taxes are the worst.

Have more kids. It's like getting free money from the government.

Your deductions should be as small as possible and ideally you'll get a better return on those held resources than the tax rate.
You lost me!

I don't know a lot about taxes beyond the basics. My finances are pretty simple because I don't own a house/property and I don't mess with stocks. I usually just run through turbotax and call it good.

Fox318

I think I'm starting to become pro-death penalty.
Can we start with people who don't use blinkers and who don't re-rack weights in the proper location?

bionic77

My accountant is rad. Two of the last five years he has had February heart attacks resulting in medically induced comas and has still gotten my taxes done on time! Mike is a stud!

Nothing terrifies me more than his eventual death.....

Taxing unrealized capital gains is a fucking travesty.
Having a good accountant is great. I think we need to upgrade. I cheaped out on the current guy.

And yeah taxing unrealized gains is such bullshit. I could lose all of that money in the next year you dirty french fry loving motherfuckers!

I always hated those what are you doing with your return money this year threads. Probably some marketing from turbotax or one of those tax websites.

eznark

Banned
I always hated those what are you doing with your return money this year threads. Probably some marketing from turbotax or one of those tax websites.

My response is always "you know you could have been enjoying this money all year long, kids"

Konka

Banned
My response is always "you know you could have been enjoying this money all year long, kids"

It's not entirely unreasonable. Some people suck at money management and at least with that refund they can in theory view it as something that can be put towards something useful instead of pissing it away on mad dawg with every paycheck.

Most draft experts are wrong.

They just draft the biggest player or player with certain size stats.

Its why somebody like Jason Smith gets picked 2nd overall.
It's pretty rare to see this happen with a WR, though. Usually the guys who become all-pro level talents are easier to identify out of college.

gutshot

WSJ: How the NFL Stole March Madness

That’s because the league that has done the best job of attracting eyeballs and dollars has solved its biggest problem: its short, September-February season means it has the longest off time in sports. What happens when you don’t have a season for a majority of the year? You invent one.

A brand measurement company called YouGov tracks companies to see if people are hearing about them at any given time. Their numbers tell the story of the new NFL. In 2013, the popularity of the NFL dipped after the Super Bowl and didn’t come back up for months. In 2014, the buzz returned on March 10. This off-season, according to the data, the general public started talking about the NFL on February 18th, around the time of the league’s annual combine. In a two-year span, the NFL has managed to lay siege to a season that once belonged to other sports.

Luker On Trends, a polling company, asked respondents during the heart of last year’s baseball season which sport was most interesting to them. The answer was football, even though no football games were being played. The NFL beat baseball by four percentage points during the NFL’s off-season.

This is not an accident. It is the product of a handful of moves—some that seemed laughable at the time—to shoehorn events into months when the NFL has been dead. Desperate for an event—anything—to expand the calendar, the league issued an internal challenge to a few NFL employees.

“Our games were growing, but those always had big numbers,” said NFL executive vice president Brian Rolapp. “So you look at the off-season and weekdays during the season and those thing growing on a percentage basis more and more and so there was this idea of ‘How do you find more things that make sense?’”

One product of that brainstorming is the Veteran Combine, a workout for athletes who previously played in the NFL. Its debut took place last weekend and generated significant media coverage for the NFL on a Sunday in March.

This second NFL season—one which, of course, makes no sense to anyone who isn’t an NFL die-hard—is about a decade in the making, Rolapp said. It began when the league started broadcasting the draft combine. The event was considered an afterthought at the time. In fact it was an event even NFL scouts regarded as boring: hours and hours and hours of semi-obscure draft picks running a straight line.

But the NFL’s network began broadcasting it—and NFL fans turned it into a mega-event. It became so popular that this year, the NFL changed the event’s schedule so that it would be broadcast from Friday to Monday, so they could maximize television viewership.

These strategic moves, which includes tweaking the league schedule to make sure that teams could negotiate with free agents three days before free agency begins, must always make sense for the teams, Rolapp said. But it doesn’t hurt the attention: this year’s free-agent period, which included the signings of Ndamukong Suh to the Miami Dolphins and the trades of Jimmy Graham to Seattle and Nick Foles to St. Louis, was considered the craziest off-season in NFL history. Baseball spring training and even college basketball was struggling for headlines.

The NFL is now essentially a year-round sport.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This was a once every ten years or so Free Agency period though where crazy ass shit happened. This is not the norm.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like plenty of bad games myself so no judgement from me. The joke still makes sense with comparing The Order and Ryse, two very comparable experiences. Bloodborne, like it or not, is on a whole different level.

Top Bottom