• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| Mock draft Central sponsored by the Shirtless League

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Browns won't lose a draft pick
Michael-Scott-and-Dwight-Schrute-Raise-the-Roof.gif

preordered.

ibvQbjF4wvNtjv.gif

For Darkest whenever he comes on:

Miami Dolphins going to simplify the 2015 defense

Among the criticisms that led fans and media (me) to wonder why Kevin Coyle was still the Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator after last season's November and December collapse, there was not one word of Coyle's use of multiple packages and varied personnel.

The truth is Coyle put a lot of looks on the field for the opposing offense to wade through -- or slice through, in some instances.

And he used his guys. A lot of them.

Coyle did a lot of things to make the Miami defense different.

But that was never considered a problem. Except now it is.

"We need to kind of simplify a little bit," Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said of his upcoming 2015 defense. "We need to simplify personnel-wise. What happened is we had too many personnel packages. Too many combinations. You have to balance that as a coach because you want to utilize your personnel the right way. You want to take advantage of the strengths of your personnel.

"But in reality, sometimes it's hard to get the preparation down and get these guys confident in all their assignments. I think we have to shrink our personnel packages and we have to get better at our core defense. We have to have some things to hang our hat on. We have to get back, especially in our run defense, back to the core principles of defensive football. We have to do a better job coaching. We have to do a better job of demanding it."

So after a serious and thoughtful examination of the Miami defense -- work that took over two weeks after the season ended -- the Miami coaching staff decided the defense was too, well, much.

Too many combos.

Too many packages.

A jack of many trades. A master of none, really.

What does that mean for 2015?

Fewer players playing more, at least initially.

You probably won't see Will Davis in for some situations as a sixth DB and Jamar Taylor on other packages as that sixth DB. (Taylor may have to compete to start if the rest of free agency, a trade or the draft don't land Miami a certain starting cornerback).

You also will see more of an emphasis on tackling. The Miami defense was terrible tackling last year, especially in the secondary.

Cortland Finnegan cost the team a victory against Green Bay with poor tackling on the fake spike play. He tackles the receiver inbounds, game is over and Miami wins. Jimmy Wilson, a Coyle favorite, was a notoriously poor tackler as well.

And, of course, Coyle has to do a better job with the defenses he calls. Remember Phillip Wheeler told me Coyle admitted to him to calling the wrong or poor defenses in certain situations. That was an honest assessment of what was happening.

"There's a couple of defenses we wished we wouldn't have ... there were a couple of defenses we got caught in at the end of the year on a reverse or two where there certaintly could have been a better call," Philbin said. "So it's not one player. It's not all the calls. It's a collective thing and we have to do a better job.

"We're simplifying personnel wise and condensing our packages a little bit. We're going to say, 'Here are our basic principles of defense' every day."

Seems like there might be some changes to the Defense after all, although I'm still not happy we kept Coyle I'm at least glad they realized their idiocy and are willing to change, especially now that we cleansed that defense of most of the terrible players from last year.

Malalaw

Its always enjoyable watching others play games like Bloodborne. Love seeing how others handle things you had trouble with.

Spinluck

Is dying the only way to lose your Blood Echoes?

If I use a lamp and return to Hunter's Dream do I lose my unrecovered Blood Echoes?

zychi

Banned
Is it a lot harder? Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to play games so I've been playing them on easy to finish through them quicker but this game might warrant the extra time
Its one of the hardest things ive completed video game wise, and ive beaten demon souls and dark souls 1

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Who was the dumb fuck QB who threw a lame duck ball into triple coverage?

A QB with supreme confidence in his arm and accuracy enough to the point he perfectly placed the ball between 3 defenders.

And a QB who's number 2 WR that season was his drinking buddy from Georgia, Kris Durham.

When Kris Durham is your #2 reciever for two years sometimes you have to throw it into triple coverage because Kris Durham can't do shit.

cajunator

Banned
I honestly believe my superiors dont know what the fuck they are doing. I hesitate calling them superiors. They have no clue what we do in here.
Ive actually quit listening to them because they dont know whats going on.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I honestly believe my superiors dont know what the fuck they are doing. I hesitate calling them superiors. They have no clue what we do in here.
Ive actually quit listening to them because they dont know whats going on.

Why don't you take one of their jobs already?

Is dying the only way to lose your Blood Echoes?

If I use a lamp and return to Hunter's Dream do I lose my unrecovered Blood Echoes?
I had a instance last night where a mob that killed me consumed my souls. After dying 2, 3 or 15 times this morning, I finally killed him and retrieved the souls I lost last night.

Sign up for the Mock draft and I'll add your name to the OP. Remember it's a group effort, you and all your fellow fans sign up and you make a consensus pick

Let's just do the sign up now because it's gonna take forever

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Syrinx
2. Tennessee Titans -
3. Jacksonville Jaguars -
4. Oakland Raiders - Officerrob
5. Washington Redskins -
6. New York Jets - Shadyspace
7. Chicago Bears -
8. Atlanta Falcons -
9. New York Giants - Futurevoid, BigAT
10. St. Louis Rams -
11. Minnesota Vikings -
12. Cleveland Browns - BlackGhost, TheBatman
13. New Orleans Saints -
14. Miami Dolphins - Darkest Red, HiMyNameIsChris, Bread
15. San Francisco 49ers - bigosc2k
16. Houston Texans - MechDX
17. San Diego Chargers -
18. Kansas City Chiefs -
19. Cleveland Browns (from Buffalo) - BlackGhost, TheBatman
20. Philadelphia Eagles - Gutshot
21. Cincinnati Bengals -
22. Pittsburgh Steelers -
23. Detroit Lions - NihonTiger90
24. Arizona Cardinals - Squall CF
25. Carolina Panthers - Grover Cleveland
26. Baltimore Ravens - Blarry
27. Dallas Cowboys -
28. Denver Broncos - Godslay, MetalFearSolid
29. Indianapolis Colts - Spinluck
30. Green Bay Packers -
31. New Orleans Saints (from Seattle) -
32. New England Patriots - Dutch, Gata, Case

In spirit:
Buffalo Bills -
Seattle Seahawks - Cdyhybrid

Also don't forget to sign up for our predict the pick list, where you can show Mel Kiper how it's done and gain the respect of all your GAF-brothers.

http://predictpick.nfl.com/groups/view/242

Our predict the pick league for this year friends, the password is Gronkislife (with a capital G)

cdyhybrid

Sign up for the Mock draft and I'll add your name to the OP. Remember it's a group effort, you and all your fellow fans sign up and you make a consensus pick together.

Also don't forget to sign up for our predict the pick list, where you can show Mel Kiper how it's done and gain the respect of all your GAF-brothers.

http://predictpick.nfl.com/groups/view/242

Our predict the pick league for this year friends, the password is Gronkislife (with a capital G)

Greetings friend, can I draft in spirit for the Seahawks?

Top Bottom