• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

brentech

I don't doubt it will sell. There is a lot of young kids that the xbox or the 360 is what they started with and so their parents will continue to buy it.

Then there is tech folk that buy every system regardless.
(I may or may not be a part of this, need more info on it. Don't know how the tv/xbox transition works. Coax going from cable box to xbox, or is the xbox now downloading the cable programming and it won't likely match the actual tv broadcast or will have buffer.) questions that need answered.

The question is, will people that know choose one system because they only play a handful of games actually be swayed to buy xbox over ps4. I think a shift is coming. I know plenty of people that wait and see see what sells them on a system and choose. I just don't see any of what they showed to be swaying people to pay to play still.

Microsoft have so thoroughly and utterly botched this whole used games/required fee message that it's not even funny to watch anymore. My god.

All of it for the Xbox One to be nothing more than fucking Steam anyways.

I don't doubt it will sell. There is a lot of young kids that the xbox or the 360 is what they started with and so their parents will continue to buy it.

Then there is tech folk that buy every system regardless.
(I may or may not be a part of this, need more info on it. Don't know how the tv/xbox transition works. Coax going from cable box to xbox, or is the xbox now downloading the cable programming and it won't likely match the actual tv broadcast or will have buffer.) questions that need answered.

The question is, will people that know choose one system because they only play a handful of games actually be swayed to buy xbox over ps4. I think a shift is coming. I know plenty of people that wait and see see what sells them on a system and choose. I just don't see any of what they showed to be swaying people to pay to play still.

HDMI out from your cable box into your ONE and then out to your TV.

cdyhybrid

The real question is, just keep using my current PC as is? Or build a second to hook up to my TV and Soundbar for FPS games in all out full surround sound warfare?

Go big or go home!

They should've called it XBOX 1080. Referencing 1080 Snowboarding would have gotten me more excited than anything they showed.

We truly are at the point in which there is no wow factor anymore and boy did it ever show in the opinions on the board today.
In regards to what?

It would "wow" me if someone showed their game running like Sony did with that new IP and Killzone even if I have zero interest in the latter.

Today Microsoft talked about TV and showed CG trailers. For a company that pulled out of this gen early so they could work on next gen stuff, that's pretty troubling.

In regards to what?

It would "wow" me if someone showed their game running like Sony did with that new IP and Killzone even if I have zero interest in the latter.

Today Microsoft talked about TV and showed CG trailers. For a company that pulled out of this gen early so they could work on next gen stuff, that's pretty troubling.

How did they pull out of this gen early? It has been the longest gen ever and they just had a major exclusive game in Gears of War Judgement come out. MS said before this reveal that they were not going to show games. In 3 weeks they will show a ton of new games at E3.

Milchjon

Name and hardware are funking ugly.

But I to me (as a kinda MS fanboy) this thing is hugely intiguingngngndgngnf fuck this word I'm drunk. Seemed much more future-oriented than the PS4, which was all about games and specs (yes, I know this is what GAF wants. I'm not sure I do, though)

But I guess I'm not much of a gamer anymore anyway.

Still sad that they didn't show PGR5.

I really hope the NFL stuff makes it over here. Would be a killer app for me.

In regards to what?

This gen has been 9 years for MS. Longer than anyone else.

Sony showed Killzone (not a new IP) and a bunch of CG trailers for everything else. What's so amazing about that?

bionic77

What is the tv stuff?

Why is it better than a Roku?

Why is GAF so angry about Xbox one (I actually don't think that name is horrible).

This gen has been 9 years for MS. Longer than anyone else.

Sony showed Killzone (not a new IP) and a bunch of CG trailers for everything else. What's so amazing about that?
Driveclub, Watch Dogs demo, Knack, Killzone, The Witness...

None of these were CG trailers. That's off the top of my head and didn't include demonstrations of next gen engine renders from Capcom and Square. You may not have interest in those games, but they weren't CG in so far as the games mentioned above.

Sony showed Knack in-game, Killzone in-game, Media Molecule's new thing, that one pretentious guy's new game, a handful of tech demos, a few probably CG-ed trailers that simulate in game stuff like that Dragons Dogma looking thing. They also showed the guts of the system by showing off the UI, homescreen, and share function.

One was a pretty interesting reveal conference the other was a completely uninspiring tease conference.

This is supposed to be a reveal. To blow off the doors on your new system, to inspire your fans and get them excited, while providing important information.
Sony succeeded on both fronts while Microsoft failed on both fronts.

(And the 360 is my favorite console this gen sooooo... )

Tom Penny

I don't believe any of this used game pay to play BS.

" I heard you got the new Madden bring it by Sunday so we can play before the game "

" If you want to pay full price for the game so we can play it at your house sure "

What is the tv stuff?

Why is it better than a Roku?

Why is GAF so angry about Xbox one (I actually don't think that name is horrible).

You can use your kinect to control your TV. You can say things like xbox guide, and the tv guide will come up. If you say the name of a show it will take you to an info page for the show. It seemed really high tech.

I don't believe any of this used game pay to play BS.

" I heard you got the new Madden bring it by Sunday so we can play before the game "

" If you want to pay full price for the game so we can play it at your house sure "
Kotaku following up with Phil Harrison from Microsoft after todays confusion on the topic:

peaking to us at the big event in Redmond today, Microsoft corporate vice president Phil Harrison clarified a couple of details about the system's used game policy and explained that there will be a solution for people who want to trade games with their friends.

Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game,you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.

Other users on the console will be able to play that game as well, Harrison said. So you don't need to buy multiple games per family. "With the built-in parental controls of the system it is shared amog the users of the device," he said.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison says.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

But that doesn't mean used games are dead. In fact, Harrison told us, you'll be able to sell your Xbox One games online.

"We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said.

Now, I would imagine you could theoretically sign in to your friends Xbox console and then have access to playing that game since it's already "activated" on your profile but you can't just lend him your disc and have at it. It's Steam.

...but no online required.:jnc

Furthermore, they talk about used games still being able to be sold online. The next logical step is that you can sell your used game on the XBL marketplace and the publishers getting a cut from MS on it. Completely cutting out retailers like Gamestop. That's not confirmed, but I'm following logic here.

bionic77

You can use your kinect to control your TV. You can say things like xbox guide, and the tv guide will come up. If you say the name of a show it will take you to an info page for the show. It seemed really high tech.
Not something I give two fucks about. Sounds like MS once again invents something no one asked for or needs.

Then again I am not retarded and can find what I am looking for by going though the guide or a two second search on Google. I don't see what's so great about this but maybe I will change my mind once I get it.

So since EA has said they will no longer use their own online pass system doesnt that mean the PS4 must also do this? No one would chose the XB1 version of a game if the PS4 version could be lent out of traded in. Especially for sports games.

Driveclub, Watch Dogs demo, Knack, Killzone, The Witness...

None of these were CG trailers. That's off the top of my head and didn't include demonstrations of next gen engine renders from Capcom and Square. You may not have interest in those games, but they weren't CG in so far as the games mentioned above.

I meant to mention Knack in my post, and I didn't realize the bit of Driveclub at the end was realtime.

engine renders are just that - renders. In fact, Square showed their render at last year's E3.

squicken

Something I don't get is why Europeans are so mad at Microsoft. I understand that those features aren't coming to Europe, but it's not like they are coming to Europe on the PS4 either. "I can't use the XBOX's All in One TV features in my region so I am buying a different console that doesn't have those features in any region"

So since EA has said they will no longer use their own online pass system doesnt that mean the PS4 must also do this? No one would chose the XB1 version of a game if the PS4 version could be lent out of traded in. Especially for sports games.
Depends. Sony has two options here. They go along with a similar scheme and jump on the wagon or completely leave it up to publishers mandating nothing at the hardware level.

It was a tremendous pain in the ass signing into your gametag on the 360, they damn well better make it easier for the 720.

(Nope not calling it One. Not even once.)

Soon.

ZOB9y8J.jpg

I meant to mention Knack in my post, and I didn't realize the bit of Driveclub at the end was realtime.

engine renders are just that - renders. In fact, Square showed their render at last year's E3.
Great, so what are we arguing?;) My only point is that in terms of direct comparison of these reveal events, the balance of gaming to superfluous services was tilted favorably to the gaming side for Sony whereas Microsoft spent a majority of its time talking about Live TV integration.

If you're underlying point is that gamers are apathetic? No shit. They are apathetic, pessimistic and generally bitchy when it comes to almost every last topic including the games they enjoy but they keep shelling out that money. I read the gaming section and sometimes wonder why folks even bother to partake in the hobby.

Something I don't get is why Europeans are so mad at Microsoft. I understand that those features aren't coming to Europe, but it's not like they are coming to Europe on the PS4 either. "I can't use the XBOX's All in One TV features in my region so I am buying a different console that doesn't have those features in any region"

They just want to bitch at Microsoft.

Sony has been historically more popular there anyway so the responses are just reflections of the general opinion.

squicken

Holy shit, finally took a look at the Gaming forum. Biggest GAF backlash ever?

What I hate about Gaming side is that they pick up on the wrong things to get mad at, when there are plenty of things that are actually worthy of being mad at. so you have people "defending' the XBOX when it really is just trying to combat the hyperbole. So there's never good discussion unless it's in sub-groups.

Great, so what are we arguing? My only point is that in terms of direct comparison of these reveal events, the balance of gaming to superfluous services was tilted favorably to the gaming side for Sony whereas Microsoft spend a majority of its time talking about Live TV integration.

If you're underlying point is that gamers are apathetic? No shit. They are apathetic, pessimistic and generally bitchy when it comes to almost every last topic including the games they enjoy but they keep shelling out that money. I read the gaming section and sometimes wonder why folks even bother to partake in the hobby.

My underlying point is that shy of a few exclusive games that Sony had all along anyway both underlying consoles are identical so I don't see why there's such a fervor over Sony's offering while everyone is shitting on MS, shy of the used games thing which we still don't know for sure won't happen with third parties on PS4.

The reveal thread is embarrassing. The amount of sheer stupidity never ceases to astound me.

In other gaming news, I grabbed a 3DS this last weekend. The 3D is actually pretty nifty.

My underlying point is that shy of a few exclusive games that Sony had all along anyway both underlying consoles are identical so I don't see why there's such a fervor over Sony's offering while everyone is shitting on MS.
We know nothing about how Sony plans to handle the notion of used games outside of one unified statement that they plan to completely support the used games market. Yet Microsoft has spent the greater part of this day fumbling about its messaging on a rather unpopular topic and you're wondering why they are taking shit? Ok.

That's just one of many topics differentiating the two at this moment so it's not really hard to understand people looking to differentiate the experiences. The always online and used game issues have been built up for months as well and both have been primarily tied to Microsoft from the get-go. Also worth taking into account.

bionic77

We know nothing about how Sony' plans to handle the notion of used games outside of one unified statement that they plan to completely support the used games market. Yet Microsoft has spent the greater part of this day fumbling about its messaging on a rather unpopular topic and you're wondering why they are taking shit? Ok.
It will be hilarious if Sony has the same plan MS does.

The codes for games thing sounds annoying. Maybe you can just scan it in with Kinect?
Only way I'll buy the Xbox One is if games are $20 new.
Angry Bird Iron Man should be 20 or less. FIFA will probably be a bit more expensive.

It will be hilarious if Sony has the same plan MS does.

The codes for games thing sounds annoying. Maybe you can just scan it in with Kinect?
I wouldn't put it past them for a single instance. The internet melt down will be glorious.;)

It

It's PC gaming on a console and frankly it's not necessarily a bad thing in the right context. I don't mind a Steam like setup. If you give me Steam like prices. :D

Milchjon

The thing is, unlike the PS4, this actually managed to hype me up. PS4 is another gaming console, if I wanted to get higher quality gaming and game live streaming I could've bought a new PC two years ago.

MS actually showed tech that excited me. Looking at the stuff on Wired, some of it is legitimately mindblowing, like nothing I've seen before. But like I said, that probably goes back to me not being much of a gamer anymore.

squicken

We know nothing about how Sony plans to handle the notion of used games outside of one unified statement that they plan to completely support the used games market. Yet Microsoft has spent the greater part of this day fumbling about its messaging on a rather unpopular topic and you're wondering why they are taking shit? Ok.

Yeah they have completely botched their message. All along they should have just said you can play games offline and buy and sell used games. Then after E3 clarify it.

I have no issue with publishers and developers doing this. It's Steam as far as copy protection, only you might be able to sell your games. As far as pricing and sales, I doubt we see anything ever that cheap

The thing is, unlike the PS4, this actually managed to hype me up. PS4 is another gaming console, if I wanted to get higher quality gaming and game live streaming I could've bought a new PC two years ago.

MS actually showed tech that excited me. Looking at the stuff on Wired, some of it is legitimately mindblowing, like nothing I've seen before. But like I said, that probably goes back to me not being much of a gamer anymore.

High five sir, I felt the same way. MS showed way more future oriented stuff, Sony showed amazing looking games. I will own both in the end and they will both be great but I am more excited about the XB1 atm.

bionic77

What's so amazing about a voice activated TV guide?

The next step is away from cable tv and ala carte always on demand everything. MS is horrible at predicting future trends. If they have no monopoly or can't buy it with cash then they usually can't innovate fast enough or pick the right tech.

Top Bottom