• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Fantomex

You know about the tokos and tokotoko grinding right?

If not go to ugly duckling island and just outside perdida and enjoy (if you come across one)

Yeah Kave. I went researching on this game like you couldn't believe. I even got that Dinoceros you told me about. And that Puss in Boats, I'm straight demolishing dudes. I think I overleveled though, some guides said I should be at level 42 currently, and instead I'm level 60 before finding the wand stones. Gonna have these tokotokos tap dancing...

zab-chicken-dance-o.gif

cdyhybrid

Voice commands is the last feature I want to become a thing. Fuck that noise.

If they could guarantee me the basic cable channels, ESPN family of networks, Pac-12 Network, NFL Network, Comedy Central, and Cartoon Network for a price that is less than my monthly cable bill, I'd be all over it.

We know nothing about how Sony plans to handle the notion of used games outside of one unified statement that they plan to completely support the used games market. Yet Microsoft has spent the greater part of this day fumbling about its messaging on a rather unpopular topic and you're wondering why they are taking shit? Ok.

That's just one of many topics differentiating the two at this moment so it's not really hard to understand people looking to differentiate the experiences. The always online and used game issues have been built up for months as well and both have been primarily tied to Microsoft from the get-go. Also worth taking into account.

I think if EA's movements of late are any indication, they will be pushing for Sony to follow suit with what MS is doing.

Their attitude towards Nintendo all makes sense now. The rumors of them pushing Origin on the Wii U unsuccessfully, then freezing out Nintendo, only to side with MS who wholeheartedly embraced the no used games concept. Sony will be forced to follow suit.

Milchjon

Voice commands is the last feature I want to become a thing. Fuck that noise.

If it's done right, and takes care of privacy issues (stuff sounds weird on Gaming right now), it's great. I mean, what's the best way to control your TV? Surely it's neither buttons nor touchscreens. Or keyboard and mouse, for that matter.

cdyhybrid

If it's done right, and takes care of privacy issues (stuff sounds weird on Gaming right now), it's great. I mean, what's the best way to control your TV? Surely it's neither buttons nor touchscreens. Or keyboard and mouse, for that matter.

I'd rather use a remote. I don't trust them to 1) actually give me privacy, and 2) make it anywhere near as consistent as a decent remote.

Edit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561013

:jnc nope nope nope

Have they said if you can bring over your XBL account to a friends system and thus play the game?

Nope. That's a BIG question that needs answered. If it's tied to the console and not your profile....big fat :jnc

I think if EA's movements of late are any indication, they will be pushing for Sony to follow suit with what MS is doing.

Their attitude towards Nintendo all makes sense now. The rumors of them pushing Origin on the Wii U unsuccessfully, then freezing out Nintendo, only to side with MS who wholeheartedly embraced the no used games concept. Sony will be forced to follow suit.
Yep, absolutely agree. Sony could very well just throw their hands up and leave to the publishers in that regard as I mentioned previously but it's going to be interesting watching the direction this whole thing goes in.

squicken

lol privacy. Google knows I search for "Thai cake humping". I don't care if Microsfot knows I watch Giada stir up flour and milk

Have they said if you can bring over your XBL account to a friends system and thus play the game?
Yes, everything will be saved to the cloud so you can access not only your account, but your game saves from ANY Xbox One.
What's so amazing about a voice activated TV guide?

The next step is away from cable tv and ala carte always on demand everything. MS is horrible at predicting future trends. If they have no monopoly or can't buy it with cash then they usually can't innovate fast enough or pick the right tech.

Basically it uses the hdmi IN to bounce between different services seamlessly. It was very fast and responsive in the demo. You can bounce between your video game, movie, cable, etc. I tend to watch tv while my game searches for a match in multiplayer so this is actually useful to me as opposed to grabbing the remote and toggling through multiple HDMI channels.

The goal is to access all your services from one box and doing so by voice can be less cumbersome than toggling with a remote. You won't have to find the damn remote anymore if your kids lose it, worry about the signal hitting from a certain angle, etc. I can see this being a technological step even if it doesn't appeal to everyone just yet.

Doubt they'll let you transfer your account over. That would defeat the whole purpose of blocking used games.
If they truly want to move to a Steam like model, having the games tied to your profile still accomplishes the same thing. I can access my games from any computer if I log in with my Steam account today. If I want to bring Madden over to a friends house and play a two player match, allowing me to sign into my profile and play won't suddenly make retail used games viable.

Unless your planning on lending your buddy your XBL username/password to fuck around with so he can "steal" games. The friends I would allow to have that kind of access to my information I can count on very very few fingers. The profile log in process has to change. I shouldn't have to transfer endless amounts off data. It just needs to be a login that has the basic information of what games you've activated and your current achievements. The whole transfer process that exists today needs to be separate.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I'm home, bitches. Let's rag on the Cablebox One!

I'll start.
I'll join in.

Pushing a home button is easier than saying "home" is easier than gesticulating like a jackass. The odds of that cablebox working with my directv dvr is exactly 0.00%. If you want to take over my tv watching, you damn well better let me pause/record/rewind/fast forward with multiple tuners. And have NFL Sunday Ticket, or gtfo. No used games? Pushing kinect hard? Catering to the fringe? Smug attitude? It's like MS is following the Sony game plan to certain failure.

I'll still get one just to play Forza, though.

They already said they are allowing used games, we just don't know the specifics yet. They confirmed that people would be able to trade in games to retailers and that a friend could borrow your game and play it.

They already said they are allowing used games, we just don't know the specifics yet. They confirmed that people would be able to trade in games to retailers and that a friend could borrow your game and play it.
Link? That directly contradicts what Phil Harrison stated to Kotaku.

If they truly want to move to a Steam like model, having the games tied to your profile still accomplishes the same thing. Unless your planning on lending your buddy your XBL username/password to fuck around with. The friends I would allow to have that kind of access to my information I can count on very very few fingers.

Yeah, but we already know that you can't lend the games, so sure you bring over your profile, but the person will still have to buy the game to play it on their box.

Godslay

Banned
I'm still going to buy the One. Looks like a nice piece of tech, they are doing some interesting outside of games. I think this might hit the spot the PS2 had. Maybe not in terms of sales, but being the best blend of power and purpose.

I personally think the PS4 looks great, but I think the same thing is going to happen last gen. They overreached with the cutting edge tech, and unless the price is perfect, it's going to stagnate on the market.

As far as buying and reselling games, if they allow you to do this through my XBL account, great. If not, I don't really care, as long as the prices fall into place correctly. In terms of not being able to lend a friend a game, I don't care about that. I already have plenty of DD games that no one else will ever be able to play, unless they play on the console itself. I'd be a hypocrite if I complained about it otherwise.

Milchjon

Overall, this once again shows that gamers are a damn conservative bunch.

(Not saying that the reveal was great at all. But there's quite a lot of good stuff in there that no one seems to care about).

Don said at the end of the reveal you could play single player games no problem offline. I wonder if maybe Phil isnt in the loop as much as he thinks he is.
Probably has an offline mode similar to Steam. Hate to keep making that comparison but it seems the most apt at this point.

Yeah, but we already know that you can't lend the games, so sure you bring over your profile, but the person will still have to buy the game to play it on their box.
Right, if they log in with their profile. If you log into yours, you should be able to play a two player match on their Xbox. When you leave, you log out of your profile and they log back into theirs and have no access to the game because it's tied to your XBL profile.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Yeah Kave. I went researching on this game like you couldn't believe. I even got that Dinoceros you told me about. And that Puss in Boats, I'm straight demolishing dudes. I think I overleveled though, some guides said I should be at level 42 currently, and instead I'm level 60 before finding the wand stones. Gonna have these tokotokos tap dancing...

zab-chicken-dance-o.gif

Never could get a tokotoko on my team. But I beat the shit out of them to level up tons and break the shit out of the game. I loved Ni No Kuni

Honestly, I'm leaning towards fully joining the PC Master Race ( I already have a gaming laptop, but its time to build a desktop rig) over any of these consoles.

The exclusives are the only thing pulling me towards the PS4.

Right, if they log in with their profile. If you log into yours, you should be able to play a two player match on their Xbox. When you leave, you log out of your profile and they log back into theirs and have no access to the game because it's tied to your XBL profile.

That's how it works now, yes. What i'm saying is that they'll probably separate the profile from the games so that even if you log in with your profile if that console doesn't have that game registered you aren't playing it.

cdyhybrid

What is your fear, though? I have Gmail. I have Android. I have Google maps. Google knows everything about me. They can do far more to "injure" me than MS can.

It's a matter of principle. Slippery slope and all that. Next thing you know Google will monitor everything going on on your screen and pop up ads, meanwhile your XBox heard you talking about getting pizza for dinner and shows you 3 Pizza Hut commercials every time you turn on the console.

Looks like I'm buying myself a PS3 for now. Next gen can wait a couple of years. It's quite fascinating to watch. If anything, Sony seems to be doing it the best, although the word is merely subjective and they have plenty of time to announce something that cocks the whole thing up.

Godslay

Banned
The only thing I dont like is the not being able to play used games.

Can you play used games on Steam, IOS, Android, etc?

Best we can hope for is a used 'license' market, but it would obviously be an MScentric marketplace if they did. Unless Gamestop was let in on this some how.

Major Nelson just posted this:

Quote:
We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed today. While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail.

Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios.

Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

Best we can hope for is a used 'license' market, but it would obviously be an MScentric marketplace if they did. Unless Gamestop was let in on this some how.

I dont care about used games with those because games are cheap.

I doubt Xbox 1 games will be as cheap as a game on Steam.I just dont like the fact that a console blocks used games.

Major Nelson just posted this:

Quote:
We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed today. While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail.

Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios.

Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

Well there you go. Steam model confirmed.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Most publishers on Steam do the smart thing and run deep discounts shortly after their games are released. It's a lot better than used games because there aren't any sort of nebulous market pressures brought to bear, like game rarity or being out of print. If MS/Sony and the rest of the publishers do this correctly, it shouldn't be a problem. (It's going to be a problem.)

Talon

It's a matter of principle. Slippery slope and all that. Next thing you know Google will monitor everything going on on your screen and pop up ads, meanwhile your XBox heard you talking about getting pizza for dinner and shows you 3 Pizza Hut commercials every time you turn on the console.
Google is a data company. As Schmidt said last year, Google still makes 99.9% of its money through advertising and all their products lead back to capturing more data.

Microsoft is a product and software company that makes a vast majority of its revenue from selling directly to enterprise and consumers.

squicken

It's a matter of principle. Slippery slope and all that. Next thing you know Google will monitor everything going on on your screen and pop up ads, meanwhile your XBox heard you talking about getting pizza for dinner and show you 3 Pizza Hut commercials every time you turn on the console.

Google shows me adds based on my Gmail inbox. I guess I long ago surrendered the notion of privacy when it came to corporate giants. And really, I wish they were better at selling me things. I love buying shit I really want. But right now, all the ads I get are for things I'd never buy.

Godslay

Banned
I dont care about used games with those because games are cheap.

I doubt Xbox 1 games will be as cheap as a game on Steam.I just dont like the fact that a console blocks used games.

Why won't the games be as cheap as they are on Steam? New releases on Steam regularly come in at $59.99. No difference there.

If MS is proactive and aggressive with prices like Steam, it will be successful. It's not outside the realms of possibility for that to happen. MS has gotten better at it with XBLA, and some of the sales on their marketplace. I'm optimistic.

cdyhybrid

Google is a data company. As Schmidt said last year, Google still makes 99.9% of its money through advertising and all their products lead back to capturing more data.

Microsoft is a product and software company that makes a vast majority of its revenue from selling directly to enterprise and consumers.

That's fine. Google needs ads to stay alive, I get that, but they can stay where they are. I'm not willing to keep giving them more and more information about me just because "it's not a big deal". If you want me to give up that information, I need to get something VERY worthwhile for it, because every piece of information they get about their users is another wad of cash to throw into their money swimming pool.

Microsoft wouldn't turn down the opportunity to get advertising money if they could. Being able to direct advertising based on the words coming out of someone's mouth would fetch quite a prize from potential advertisers.

Godslay

Banned
Yep. Used retail games seem to tie into what the xbm editor posted about games being "deactivated" from your profile when they are resold. I'm really curious to understand how that works.

Online license transfers? Would be great if you could just trade in the license to Gamestop or the marketplace and never touch a disc again.

squicken

By the way, the mo capped dog had me on the floor. That was the dumbest fucking thing. All that shit they talked and CoD still has shit lighting, crap textures, but now has motion capture on dogs and AI fish. Why not mo capped fish then?

Why won't the games be as cheap as they are on Steam? New releases on Steam regularly come in at $59.99. No difference there.

If MS is proactive and aggressive with prices like Steam, it will be successful. It's not outside the realms of possibility for that to happen. MS has gotten better at it with XBLA, and some of the sales on their marketplace. I'm optimistic.

Maybe.

Top Bottom