• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

cdyhybrid

The fact that most of them will be available on several other services.

I assume by several other services you mean PS4? :p Nothing would be stopping publishers from making an under the table deal to raise game prices to $70 if you can only get it from two places.

I assume by several other services you mean PS4? :p Nothing would be stopping publishers from making an under the table deal to raise game prices to $70 if you can only get it from two places.
The most interesting thing will be what happens to Steam/PC pricing now that the AAA game consoles are basically specialized PCs.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561257

lol that dude flat out said that FIFA Ultimate Team was an X1 exclusive. Now it isn't. I don't know what Ultimate Team is, but I can't believe how badly MS manged their message on this. They have been planning for months!

Madden has an Ultimate Team albeit a much shittier version.

The idea that EA was going to sell that off entirely for exclusivity was hilariously insane. Its insane bank for them, basically its selling digital soccer cards that you can use for a sim management type of game as well as playing games with those players. Pretty smart of them to give a console exclusive UT content though - they get money from both MS and from consumers who will give them even more money for more content.

I just went through some of the reactions to Xbox One (stupid fucking name by the way).

Let me see if I understand something. Today, I have an Xbox Family account. One 360, four users. I buy a game and anyone can play it on their account. It sounds like with this abortion that MS has created that I would need to buy four copies of a game if each member of my family wants to play it.

Do I have that right?

I just went through some of the reactions to Xbox One (stupid fucking name by the way).

Let me see if I understand something. Today, I have an Xbox Family account. One 360, four users. I buy a game and anyone can play it on their account. It sounds like with this abortion that MS has created that I would need to buy four copies of a game if each member of my family wants to play it.

Do I have that right?
I'd be surprised if they don't have an exception for running it on the same console.

brentech

Do I have that right?
No way that's right.
Thought they said that all the sub accounts would have access.

Godslay

Banned
The only way it happens on XBO is if it happens on PS4 too.

Now, after Sony and Nintendo have been reduced to rubble and Microsoft stands alone atop the home console space -- there might be Steam-style pricing then.
lulz.

If they can build a reliable and efficient online license transfer system, it can be a game changer. It allows them to basically make buying online games on the PS4 worthless (multiplats), if Sony doesn't have a license resell inhttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=58433825 place. It gives them more freedom to price and have the game on sale in them online space (similar to Steam), which combined with a license resell system is very forward thinking imo. It weakens Sony in the online retail space and steals some of Steam's thunder.

Furthermore, let's say hypothetically that it takes off and it is similar to Steam with decent discounts. Sony is bare assed simply because even if they match the price online, without a license transfer system the PS4 digital content is essentially worthless.

You could say just buy the hard copy of PS4 and you win. I don't think that model will work if MS is aggressive with pricing in the online space. Let's say you buy a game is $59.99 at release for both systems. Wait a month, and the online copy on XBL/PSN is $49.99, and the hard copy is still $59.99 at retail. Which copy would you buy? Personally, if there is a license resell in place, I would buy the cheaper digital copy even if I got a little less at trade-in.

All of this is fiction, but I think if they go this route, PS4 is in a tough spot regarding keeping up with a quickly changing market.

Steam and other services have to be cheap to compete with consoles and other digital services.Whats stopping Microsoft from saying either buy our game at our price or dont play it?

If Nintendo pulls off sales with the Wii U, you can bet your ass MS will.

Greg

Vita is dying, it needs CFW already so I can play my old UMD games on it that aren't PSN supported.
I don't even know what games it has anymore, I just play Hot Shots Golf and use it as a browser to refresh NFL-GAF while I'm in the living room watching games.

Jarrett Bell ‏ @ JarrettBell1h
It wasn't on agenda at # NFL meetings, but new Browns owner Jimmy Haslam made quite an impression on fellow owners addressing federal case.

Jarrett Bell ‏ @ JarrettBell 8m
# Browns owner Jimmy Haslam told me that it was so important for him to address his non-NFL issues "face to face" with other NFL owners today

(Bell is a NFL Columnist for USA Today.)
#TeamHaslam

brentech

I don't even know what games it has anymore, I just play Hot Shots Golf and use it as a browser to refresh NFL-GAF while I'm in the living room watching games.
I've been working on crowning everything lately. Been about a week since I played, but the past few weeks I've put a lot of time into it. Crazy

If they can build a reliable and efficient online license transfer system, it can be a game changer. It allows them to basically make buying online games on the PS4 worthless (multiplats), if Sony doesn't have a license resell in place. It gives them more freedom to price and have the game on sale in them online space (similar to Steam), which combined with a license resell system is very forward thinking imo. It weakens Sony in the online retail space and steals some of Steam's thunder.

Furthermore, let's say hypothetically that it takes off and it is similar to Steam with decent discounts. Sony is bare assed simply because even if they match the price online, and without a license transfer system the PS4 digital content is essentially worthless.

You could say just buy the hard copy of PS4 and you win. I don't think that model will work with if MS is aggressive with pricing in the online space. Let's say you a game is $59.99 at release for both systems. Wait a month, and the online copy on XBL/PSN is $49.99, and the hard copy is still $59.99 at retail. Which copy would you buy? Personally, if their is a license resell in place, I would by the cheaper digital copy even if I got a little less at trade-in.

All of this is fiction, but I think if they go this route, PS4 is in a tough spot regarding keeping up with a quickly changing market.

If Nintendo pulls off sales with the Wii U, you can bet your ass MS will.
I'm not sure what "license resell" you have in mind, but I'll caution this where multiplatform titles are concerned: it's going to be hard for Microsoft to compete on price ("sales") for those games. The publishers will have to be onboard, and to get the publishers onboard MS will have to throw money at them.

They might do it, but they'll need to compete on value. And whatever that value is (one copy bought works across WindowsLive + XBO maybe?), it can't be seen as impacting the bottom line of the "AAA" big boys.

I actually liked most of what i saw with Xbox One until everything started to leak post conference.

The 'connect every 24 hours' killed it for me. I will not be buying one unless they change that.

ChanHuk

Banned

My PSP with CFW has like 10 games loaded on its memory stick, it can play unsupport PSX games as well.

That being said, I'll pick up a Vita along with a PS4 this year or next.

bionic77

Lets just all forget about next gen and get OUYA, it'll be a NFL GAF thing.
Something like that is the future. Just a matter of time brah!

We just need the open standard and then the cheap hardware will follow.

That shit will be way more appealing to the average consumer than a remote control you control with your voice.

I'm just more and more disillusioned with current/next gen gaming as the years go on. Guess it comes with the territory of becoming a cranky old fuck. Sony kind of impressed me with their reveal in that they focused on games and the gaming side. Still, I know I won't be buying one until they offer a price drop and/or a redesign. And no way in hell am I ever touching day One MS hardware. So I'll be waiting like I did this gen, about three years in. In the meantime, I'd be giddy as hell if somebody released an old school console and said, "All this fucking thing does is play games. That's it, nothing else."

Greg

Hot Shots is great. Did you ever play Hot Shots Tennis on PSP? Best tennis game I've ever played.
Yeah, HSG is the best. I usually have a round running in the background and I'll pick it up randomly throughout the day.

And nope, I've never played Hot Shots Tennis - I might have to check that out if it's in the store.

I've been working on crowning everything lately. Been about a week since I played, but the past few weeks I've put a lot of time into it. Crazy
I think I have 3 crowns left, but I haven't tried them in a while. I've just been playing the 3 DLC courses/randomly trying for high scores.

My PSP with CFW has like 10 games loaded on its memory stick, it can play unsupport PSX games as well.

That being said, I'll pick up a Vita along with a PS4 this year or next.
Yeah, I had a PSP with CFW, but I traded in when I picked up my Vita because I hadn't played it in a long while. I guess I thought the Vita would get me back into gaming, but I still just play casual bullshit/sports games.

Fantomex

Something like that is the future. Just a matter of time brah!

We just need the open standard and then the cheap hardware will follow.

That shit will be way more appealing to the average consumer than a remote control you control with your voice.

I can imitate voices really good, I can't wait to step into bros living rooms while the play madden and say "UP THE GUT" on 4th and 15 or "THROW IT DEEP" all the time. Xbox1 is gonna be awesome for Trolling.

Greg said:
And nope, I've never played Hot Shots Tennis - I might have to check that out if it's in the store.
It is, and there's a demo! Once you get used to it you won't be able to stop. It was even more addictive than HSG for me.

Godslay

Banned
I'm not sure what "license resell" you have in mind, but I'll caution this where multiplatform titles are concerned: it's going to be hard for Microsoft to compete on price ("sales") for those games. The publishers will have to be onboard, and to get the publishers onboard MS will have to throw money at them.

They might do it, but they'll need to compete on value. And whatever that value is (one copy bought works across WindowsLive + XBO maybe?), it can't be seen as impacting the bottom line of the "AAA" big boys.

Yeah, I'm just guessing at this point. If the publisher sets the price like they do on Steam, then we should see equal prices on both platforms. If they allow you to sell back the license, then that's the obvious platform of choice for me. Kills Gamestop to a certain degree, gives value to digital purchases, and gives the publishers/developers more chance to profit off of a 'pseudo-used' market.

Hot Shots is great. Did you ever play Hot Shots Tennis on PSP? Best tennis game I've ever played.

32276660.jpg

ttp://t.co/wypBElgiJt

Quote:
Reports of Xbox One's online requirements and used-game fees are no more than "potential scenarios" and not concrete details, Microsoft told Polygon via email.

"While Phil [Harrison] discussed many potential scenarios around games on Xbox One, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail," Microsoft told Polygon.

They really need to stop Phil from saying anything else. He is causing all this confusion.

Top Bottom