• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

AD avatars are too mainstream. AD usernames are where it's at.

image.php

Ive never posted so much in gaming, wild animals.

Be careful out there in the wild, mang.

MechDX

I keep reading more on this console and Im just shaking my head. I think Ill just stick to the 360 for a while and see if someone does a PS4 controller with offset analog sticks then maybe jump ship

squicken

If you've bought a non-retail digital content item (dlc or full game), then you can't dump on the X1. You'd be a hypocrite if you did (not pointed at you, just in general).

My issue with all this is the real story is that they are releasing an XboxU. Shitting out dated tech is disgusting and THAT is what should be all over the front page of GAF, not trolling/whining about a Steam DRM system coming to a console

Godslay

Banned
My issue with all this is the real story is that they are releasing an XboxU. Shitting out dated tech is disgusting and THAT is what should be all over the front page of GAF, not trolling/whining about a Steam DRM system coming to a console

Maybe? 8 GB DDR isn't terrible, but none of the other details (GPU/CPU) are concrete? At the very least I think they are trying to hit the power to price ratio just right. The most successful consoles seem to hit that magic ratio (SNES, PS1, PS2, 360, to a lesser degree the Wii). I think the PS4 is going to over reach again, U went too conservative. Don't get me wrong, I love power, but it always seems to take longer for the average consumer to adopt due to price.

People aren't as mad about that because the specs we saw today are pretty much in line with everything in the rumors. They've had time to brace themselves for an underpowered Xbox.

As for the Steam DRM, that's gaming side getting mad...because they want to be mad at something. At E3, someone more eloquent than Phil Harrison will clarify the system, great games will be shown, gamers will be happy (or at least put up with it), no more GAMING AM DOOMED threads and all is right again.

MechDX

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-applauds-houston-mcnair-for-super-bowl-li/

The man who would have loved to host Super Bowl L or LI in Cowboys Stadium has shown grace and class in response to the news that one of the two games will be played down the road in Houston.

“The presentation was one of the best I’ve ever seen,” Jones tells FOX 26 of the Houston presentation. “So professionally done. They talked about what football meant in Texas.”

Jones also had great things to say about Texans owner Bob McNair.

“Bob McNair came into the league as maybe one of the top four or five owners and has probably elevated himself up to the best one,” Jones said.

It’s a far cry from a dismissive crack Jones made in 2008 about Houston and the Texans.

“The Cowboys have never been about checkered tablecloths and boots and hats,” Jones said at the time. “They’ve been about glitz and glitter. Leave the other stuff to the Houston Texans.”

Fuck you Jerruh! Funny side story: supposedly pone of the "incentives" Houston threw in was private access for NFL owners private planes to utilize Ellington Field (Air Force Reserve Base) as a personal airport during Superbowl week.

Me too, offset is so much better on my hands.

If it wasn't for the whole Broncos/Manning thing we could be friends.

squicken

People aren't as mad about that because the specs we saw today are pretty much in line with everything in the rumors. They've had time to brace themselves for an underpowered Xbox.

I guess I disregarded all the leaks b/c the leaks missed on Sony's DDR5. I figured MS would at least give a song and dance about how they were just as good, that EDRAM could make up for it. Basically "we got trumped by Sony but we tried". They flat out said they don't give a shit about decent technology. It's a Nintendo move

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Maybe? 8 GB DDR isn't terrible, but none of the other details (GPU/CPU) are concrete? At the very least I think they are trying to hit the power to price ratio just right. The most successful consoles seem to hit that magic ratio (SNES, PS1, PS2, 360, to a lesser degree the Wii). I think the PS4 is going to over reach again, U went too conservative. Don't get me wrong, I love power, but it always seems to take longer for the average consumer to adopt due to price.

The problem with the ps3 was that the cell didn't use x86 architecture, not that it was too powerful. Am I going to have to put you in the fanboy camp?

Hunter S.

I think it will be cool with Fantasy Football. I follow that during the games, so it will be cool to get live updates on the TV.

Yeah, but I mean you would think that would excite a majority of hardcore football fans which the majority here are. I see no buzz. In fact, both forums I frequent seem overwhelming negative responses. No proof towards the whole population, but bad press and word of mouth so far will not help the xone's cause. I certainly will not be spreading a good word at work and elsewhere.

bionic77

I guess I disregarded all the leaks b/c the leaks missed on Sony's DDR5. I figured MS would at least give a song and dance about how they were just as good, that EDRAM could make up for it. Basically "we got trumped by Sony but we tried". They flat out said they don't give a shit about decent technology. It's a Nintendo move
That Kinect thing looks expensive.

Dragon

Banned

As for the Steam DRM, that's gaming side getting mad...because they want to be mad at something. At E3, someone more eloquent than Phil Harrison will clarify the system, great games will be shown, gamers will be happy (or at least put up with it), no more GAMING AM DOOMED threads and all is right again.

Phil Harrison is plenty eloquent. Microsoft is a dumb fucking company for how they've handled today. They look completely incompetent and their 'gaming system' is a glorified DVR. Seriously making excuses for them? Wow.

bionic77

Phil Harrison is plenty eloquent. Microsoft is a dumb fucking company for how they've handled today. They look completely incompetent and their 'gaming system' is a glorified DVR. Seriously making excuses for them? Wow.
Ugh I feel so dirty for agreeing with you.

MechDX

Im not one of those "my gaming console is doing to many other things" people but the One IS trying to be everything to everyone and failing at all of them.

I run my AV equipment through my AV receiver. How will the XB1 know what settings the receiver and TV need to be on? Why do I need it to DVR when my satellite receiver has a DVR? Microsoft botched this shit badly

Godslay

Banned
The problem with the ps3 was that the cell didn't use x86 architecture, not that it was too powerful. Am I going to have to put you in the fanboy camp?

Should be clarified as 'difficult to develop for'. The PS3 was certainly more powerful in terms of what the CPU could do. Look back at all the hype the Cell got, as well as it's use for certain computational projects. That was bleeding edge technology at the time.

Sony just didn't have the shit in place or the tools to fully utilize it. That came later. MS had a more developer friendly system, with good tools in place to more efficiently utilize the hardware. GPU/RAM was better in 360, CPU/Media format was better in PS3. Fair enough?

Yeah, but I mean you would think that would excite a majority of hardcore football fans which the majority here are. I see no buzz. In fact, both forums I frequent seem overwhelming negative responses. No proof towards the whole population, but bad press and word of mouth so far will not help the xone's cause. I certainly will not be spreading a good word at work and elsewhere.

GAF has never been a good indicator of future success. OG Wii would have died, Vita would be King, etc. In fact they are right up there with Pachter in making bad predictions.

squicken

GAF has never been a good indicator of future success. OG Wii would have died, Vita would be King, etc. In fact they are right up there with Pachter in making bad predictions.

Did GAF think Vita was going to be successful? I remember people liking it but also knowing it was doomed from the start

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Should be clarified as 'difficult to develop for'. The PS3 was certainly more powerful in terms of what the CPU could do. Look back at all the hype the Cell got, as well as it's use for certain computational projects. That was bleeding edge technology at the time.

Sony just didn't have the shit in place or the tools to fully utilize it. That came later. MS had a more developer friendly system, with good tools in place to more efficiently utilize the hardware. GPU/RAM was better in 360, CPU/Media format was better in PS3. Fair enough?
Right. So they remedied that and now the PS4 is too powerful? Or just too expensive? I'm guessing that breadbox sized kinect 2.0 with voice remote ain't cheap.

bionic77

There was never a console that went for what MS is going for or changed things this much. I am sure people will buy it for games but I don't see it as a mainstream consumer electronics.

I wonder if the new consoles will be able to play pirated games. You can't sell shit in most of the world is that is not an option. With always online it seems like MS killed that market for good.

Hunter S.

@Godslay
I rarely read GAF gaming side. I go to ******** where the main topic is the business side of gaming not the games themselves. I trust some opinions there a lot more. Still the Wii U was thought to be big and so far it is doing horribly after the first holiday. Most predictions are wrong, but I am not excited for the one at all ATM. That is the main point.

I'm not making excuses for them.

They've handled today hilariously awfully and they've got a bit of hole to dig themselves out of, and I'm certainly not interested in what they've shown so far. If the consoles launched tomorrow, I wouldn't buy an Xbox One.

But the thing is, the consoles don't launch tomorrow. Microsoft and Sony still have plenty of things to show off about the new consoles in the next six months or so. I'm just saying that the doom and gloom is a bit premature this far away from launch.

(BTW, more eloquent may have been a bit low. Phil Harrison is a smart dude. But Microsoft should have come up with a unified message on the matter before they went public. )

eznark

Banned
Holy shit Microsoft reimagining Google TV is visionary! Can't wait you guys!!! Xbox1 is like a 32X for my cable box. The motherfucking FUTURE!!!!!

Dragon

Banned

That's a fallacious argument though. I mean sure, you're right, but you're basing it on the past. It's irrelevant.

GAF was also right on the WiiU so far. People usually only remember the exceptions not the rule.

I don't want to support Microsoft for how they've gone about the end of this gen and this conference. If they show games that are unique and awesome it may make my decision harder. Strategy wise I do wonder why they chose this venue to reveal this awful news.

Top Bottom