• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

bionic77

Holy shit Microsoft reimagining Google TV is visionary! Can't wait you guys!!! Xbox1 is like a 32X for my cable box. The motherfucking FUTURE!!!!!
Laugh while you can. You will wish you had one when you see how easily I can find the Steelers game through Bing!

Never will I miss another sporting event again! Thank you MS!

squicken

There was never a console that went for what MS is going for or changed things this much. I am sure people will buy it for games but I don't see it as a mainstream consumer electronics.

I wonder if the new consoles will be able to play pirated games. You can't sell shit in most of the world is that is not an option. With always online it seems like MS killed that market for good.

I knew years ago this was coming. Once the 360's DVD encryption got beat, people stopped buying games in Europe. Hollywood for years has lamented Europe's lax enforcement of IP rights. And it was becoming a big issue in the US, to be fair. Look at Craigslist for how easy it is to get free games and hacked systems. The only way that game makers were going to stay viable was make $1 games, or come up with a severely restrictive DRM

GAF hates that story. They like to talk about convenience and point to DRM free games that sell 300K units. But the reality is that Hollywood shifted to all blockbusters all the time, b/c they know that the money now comes from event movies that people go see in the theaters.

I was reading an interview with a PBS guy, and he was saying they take their time bringing over Downton Abbey, b/c the audience will wait. But they know that the Sherlock audience knows how to pirate TV shows, so they have to get that over as quick as possible. It's even worse for game makers, who are selling to an audience very fluent in internet piracy

Eznark, please dumb down your jokes. Subtly is lost on Broncos fans.

Also: Papa Woodson back to Oakland.

Ltf9WHlm.jpg

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...arles-woodson-oakland-raiders-strike-contract

I'll miss you Wood but not your slow ass grandpa legs!

mr2xxx

Banned
Woodson went back home? That's p. cool.

Oh yeah, fuck the X-Bone.

Why would the Raiders even pick him up? They know and everyone knows that this year is a lost cause. I would understand if he was younger and had some years left but he is done.

Godslay

Banned
Did GAF think Vita was going to be successful? I remember people liking it but also knowing it was doomed from the start

After the $249 price point, people thought it would. I should revise that to mixed, even though I can't find a relevant thread.

Right. So they remedied that and now the PS4 is too powerful? Or just too expensive? I'm guessing that breadbox sized kinect 2.0 with voice remote ain't cheap.

It's relative to the competition. If the XBox is cheaper again with similar specs and graphics, they've overreached. They may have future-proofed their box to a certain degree (PS4), but getting it's legs underneath it is more important than future-proofing the box. PS3 showed us that ground can be made up on the backend, but you can't always count on that.

Sony had it right with the PS2. Good power, not the best, and a great price point. Didn't hurt that the box had kickass media capabilities at the time (DVD!). I'll still buy a PS4. I just think if the price isn't right, it's going to be a tough sell. Same for X1.

bionic77

Microsoft should reveal at E3 that the X1 is also a PC.
All of their booths will just be set up to show popular tv shows and movies (with the added feature of Bing ads stopping the show every 15 minutes to "enhance" the experience).

Last Xbox was "you are the controller". New Xbox brings the magic of television to the videogame console!

I knew years ago this was coming. Once the 360's DVD encryption got beat, people stopped buying games in Europe. Hollywood for years has lamented Europe's lax enforcement of IP rights. And it was becoming a big issue in the US, to be fair. Look at Craigslist for how easy it is to get free games and hacked systems. The only way that game makers were going to stay viable was make $1 games, or come up with a severely restrictive DRM

GAF hates that story. They like to talk about convenience and point to DRM free games that sell 300K units. But the reality is that Hollywood shifted to all blockbusters all the time, b/c they know that the money now comes from event movies that people go see in the theaters.

I was reading an interview with a PBS guy, and he was saying they take their time bringing over Downton Abbey, b/c the audience will wait. But they know that the Sherlock audience knows how to pirate TV shows, so they have to get that over as quick as possible. It's even worse for game makers, who are selling to an audience very fluent in internet piracy
I would agree that blockbusters and piracy don't get along well, since the benefit of piracy is publicity and that's the one thing blockbusters don't need.

I don't think blockbusters are the future of gaming, though.

Godslay

Banned
That's a fallacious argument though. I mean sure, you're right, but you're basing it on the past. It's irrelevant.

GAF was also right on the WiiU so far. People usually only remember the exceptions not the rule.

I don't want to support Microsoft for how they've gone about the end of this gen and this conference. If they show games that are unique and awesome it may make my decision harder. Strategy wise I do wonder why they chose this venue to reveal this awful news.

Wii U is history in motion. Story isn't over yet.

Eznark, please dumb down your jokes. Subtly is lost on Broncos fans.

It's not our fault we lack the extra Sconi chromosome required to understand your jokes.

bionic77

Yeah sure if the games are right, I'll hop on. I think ps4 is the console I'll get first though

Edit: Mech join the arrested development avatar fad![
Where the fuck where you assholes 10 years ago when this shit was still on TV (or Xboxing as it will be called in the future)?

squicken

I would agree that blockbusters and piracy don't get along well, since the benefit of piracy is publicity and that's the one thing blockbusters don't need.

I don't think blockbusters are the future of gaming, though.

Right now, the games I like to play are the most expensive to make. My own rational self interest is for those games to remain profitable, though I didn't like or finish the most recent Halo, CoD, or MoH. If they are out of good ideas then it doesn't matter anyway

Godslay

Banned
WiiU is historical for sure.

You only wish it to be.

I'll give it a full year to figure out what it is going to be, before declaring it dead.

Vita on the other hand doesn't look like it is going to buck the trend anytime soon. It's had over a full year to show us what it is, and it will survive. It will not come close to anything the 3DS is going to be, especially now with the 3DS picking up steam.

Exactly this. 360 was the last of the big 3 I picked up last gen, and I can see the same thing happening again.
360 was actually my first console last gen, and I loved it early on. My first real online experience, alot of great memories playing online with friends and meeting people. I honestly only played about 5 or so games on ps3 last gen.
Where the fuck where you assholes 10 years ago when this shit was still on TV (or Xboxing as it will be called in the future)?
I was a small boy who didn't know about Gaf, and probably didn't understand any of the jokes at the time. You old.

Godslay

Banned
Wii U= Cleveland Browns= Female kicker

Xboxone= Satan= Brady= Estrogen, and mood Swings= loose groopies

PS4= power= fortitude= John Elway= Altruism

More like all three are different shades of Roger Goodell, no matter how hard they try, they won't get it right. People will still bitch, and players will get fined. Nobody wins! Unless you have a 3DS, and pretty much everyone in this thread does.

Dragon

Banned
You only wish it to be.

I'll give it a full year to figure out what it is going to be, before declaring it dead.

Vita on the other hand doesn't look like it is going to buck the trend anytime soon. It's had over a full year to show us what it is, and it will survive. It will not come close to anything the 3DS is going to be, especially now with the 3DS picking up steam.

I don't wish it to be. Nintendo miscalculated badly with the console and it shows with the sales and the fact they can't reduce the price because of the gamepad.

As far as your 3DS and Vita comparison, sales wise, there's no comparison. Still though, I'm not sure where you're getting the 3DS is picking up steam. Look at the sales numbers in the US this year. They aren't good.

Hunter S.

3DS is good in Japan. But world wide it is down compared to the DS. People may hate it, but I look forward to a tablet handheld future. As I already wrote my tablet plays DS games, and I imagine in 2-3 years it will play 3DS games.

jon-jones-broken-toe.jpg

bionic77

3DS is good in Japan. But world wide it is down compared to the DS. People may hate it, but I look forward to a tablet handheld future. As I already wrote my tablet plays DS games, and I imagine in 2-3 years it will play 3DS games.
Ewwwww.

What a stupid and shortsighted position. When Nintendo is dead and gone and you have finished playing DS and 3DS games in the worst way imaginable then where are you going to get new games to pirate?

Godslay

Banned
I don't wish it to be. Nintendo miscalculated badly with the console and it shows with the sales and the fact they can't reduce the price because of the gamepad.

As far as your 3DS and Vita comparison, sales wise, there's no comparison. Still though, I'm not sure where you're getting the 3DS is picking up steam. Look at the sales numbers in the US this year. They aren't good.

Well you can't declare it dead when it hasn't shown it's best cards.

As far as the 3DS picking up steam:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/16/nintendo-3ds-software-sales-up-52-year-on-year-in-us/

Nintendo's 3DS is holding on strong to its place in the hardware charts, backed up by some successful software – and by "some" we mean "2.1 million first-party titles" in the first four months of 2013, in the US only. This is an increase of 52 percent over the same period last year.

Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins sold 94,000 physical and digital copies in the US since its launch on April 24 and hit No. 9 on the April NPD chart. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon sold 140,000 units in April, for a lifetime total of 530,000 in the states.

Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter expected the 3DS to be the only major console with sales up from April 2012, with the Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 and Vita down year-over-year. Pachter found the Vita down 57 percent, while the 3DS was up 46 percent with 185,000 sales.

Hunter S.

Ewwwww.

What a stupid and shortsighted position. When Nintendo is dead and gone and you have finished playing DS and 3DS games in the worst way imaginable then where are you going to get new games to pirate?
I won't say I would create chaos from people worse than FMT's victory wank festivals.

Top Bottom