• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

MechDX

I dont take them seriously either, its the results of the draft according to a draft simulation game that assigns scores based off of player scouting reports/value.

Yeah but WTF is an E? I know A, B, C & D. Shouldn't the next one be an F? Or did Kraft write another check so that F was removed?

Colasante

Yeah but WTF is an E? I know A, B, C & D. Shouldn't the next one be an F? Or did Kraft write another check so that F was removed?

They didn't select any player in the 1st, so it must be an incomplete grade, while an F would be for a terrible pick. I'm assuming.

Kraft said he feels the Patriots got first-round talent in 2nd and 3rd rounds, based on deeper talent assessment.

Dumb draft game doesn't realize we actually got 4 1st rounders. Even better than the Vikings!

squicken

BOOOOOOOOOOOO

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — Mark Sanchez thinks he and Tim Tebow could have been buddies — if not for, you know, the part where they were fighting for the same job last season while Tebow was serving as a distraction to Sanchez.

"It's just hard when you're competing like that. There's just a professionalism about it," Sanchez said Thursday in his first meeting with reporters since Tebow was released by the New York Jets on Monday. "You don't get too close to guys like that. You're professional, and you're cool.

"If the guy's got a flat tire on the side of the road, I'm going to stop, I'm not going to blow by him. But at the same time, I'm not sending him gifts on his birthday."

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hunter S.

So is the WiiU going to be able to outlive the Dreamcast? At least the Dreamcast had charming games.
Nintendo will subsidize the Wii u with the 3ds. I suspect it to lose tons of money while the 3DS does barely worse than the DS keeping them barely in the black. Basically, the Wii U is another GameCube or Kansas City Cheifs console in sales.

Milchjon

Holy fuuuuuuuuuck at those GTA V previews. And the most important part:

Polygon said:
Where 4 opted for realism, 5 seems more focused on just having a good time.

celebrate.gif

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--p...-t-nearly-as-bad-as-some-claim-140818102.html

Mike Silver trying to say that the Carson Palmer trade wasn't really bad for Oakland. I don't know. There's so much silliness that I'd feel wrong just excerpting a little

The Raiders definitely overpaid for Palmer but it remains to be seen whether or not the Bengals drafted players that will make the Raiders really regret it.

And nobody can point to Kirk Cousins or Russell Wilson because that's some severe hindsight talking. If Pete Carroll knew that Wilson was going to be really good, he doesn't wait until the third round.

I'm also waiting to see if Wilson and Kaepernick are really that good or if they're Derek Anderson/2010 Vick.

Holy fuuuuuuuuuck at those GTA V previews. And the most important part:

Happy Browns Fan.gif

I hope the world is just stuffed full of random stuff to do also. Liberty City was an amazing well crafted setting with never ending attention to detail. There just wasn't a lot to play around with like in Saints Row.

To all of our credit on the mock draft, this was a bitch of a draft to try and play guess work with. We knew there would be a slew of trades all over the place and we got a good sense there was going to be a run on lineman in the first 10 picks probably about a week before the draft itself. Might be better next year to do the mock draft 1-2 weeks out from the draft itself?

effzee

DT was actually a good pocket passer at the end there. Mariotta's a better QB than DT. He seemed to be more aggressive about taking the yards that were there.

Basically, Chip's offense thrives as long as the QB is being assertive and making quick decisions. The games they've lost usually have come down to the QB showing hesitancy throughout the game.

I'm a big fan of Chip from a holistic perspective. I think he does a great job of preparing his guys and all that ancillary stuff that matters. At the same time, I don't think he's going to have as stark of an advantage here in the NFL compared to the College game. We really overestimate the amount of practice time that's "available" to NFL players. Coaches work long hours. Players only have to work Wednesday to Friday/Saturday.

That offense will have initial success here, but he's not going to have the stamina advantage in the NFL that he had in Oregon playing Wazzu and Arizona State.

So, what I'm saying is:
1. Chip is more than his scheme/tempo.
2. I am skeptical of his tempo being a big competitive advantage.
3. I am a fan of Chip Kelly.

What I really wonder about is the defense. Aliotti and Kelly's strategy seemed to mostly be "Throw as many bodies on the field as possible," which is...adequate in the college game to some extent, but you can't do that in the NFL. Your best players need to stay on the field.

I think Chip is smart enough to realize not everything can be carried over from his Oregon program to the NFL game. He has actually mentioned this many times since being hired. He said its the reason his coaching staff is a mix of guys who specialize in different styles and experience in both college and the pros. For example he hired Pat Shurmur as his OC. Why? Well Chip says he has no experience running any of the WCO elements and if need be he would like to have a coach who does so he can bounce off ideas.

He also has mentioned that the practice time is far more limited in the pros than in college and that he plans to work around that. One advantage he has is that he keeps all film study and "coaching" for the meetings. He says in practice its just repetition at a very high pace. There is no stopping to correct mistakes. This especially applies to the QB situation because even though right now they have 5 QBs, he expects to provide all of them with enough reps to get a solid evaluation on all of them.

As for his ideal QB he has said anyone who can score points. So he isn't married to run/read option and will go with someone like Foles or Barkley with an offense designed around them. He wants repetitive accuracy within the simplified single read offense. Let's see how it comes together but his whole premise seems to be the offense will be designed around the players, the players (esp the QB) will practice uptempo with repetition accuracy, and that the only 100% carry over from college to the pros will be the tempo of the game.

Its a tall order but if he can pull it off it will be amazing to watch. Patriots already use some of these elements.

The defense does concern me more. Bill Davis is not an accomplished D-Coordinator and in fact his defenses haven't even ranked higher than 30 the two times he got the chance. Yeah he has been in the league a long time and he is considered a good teacher but overall he hasn't work. Better than trotting out Castillo pretending to be a DC, but our D as whole from the players to the coach are serviceable with no real stand out stars. I think we did improve through subtraction (letting Nnamdi and DRC go) and adding guys like Chung and Philips. If Philips is healthy and plays like he did a few years ago he could upgrade our S position because he is a top level talent.

Davis says they will run a 4-3 under rather than a true 3-4 so I wonder who plays the predator position. Graham, Cole, Barwin, Hunt, and Curry will have to come up big as OLB/DE pass rushers.

High hopes.

Well even the past three seasons we ranked pretty high in many offensive categories, especially yards. Vick's first two years we were top 5. Last year I think we were top 15.

Our main problems weren't moving the ball between the 20s, but rather redzone. I think we were the worst team in the redzone over the past 3 seasons.

Getting back in the top 5 should be expected.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
To all of our credit on the mock draft, this was a bitch of a draft to try and play guess work with. We knew there would be a slew of trades all over the place and we got a good sense there was going to be a run on lineman in the first 10 rounds probably about a week before the draft itself. Might be better next year to do the mock draft 1-2 weeks out from the draft itself?

Next year, we should do it in reverse. Group mock a few weeks out and then do the real mock starting the weekend before the draft. I think we'll get more people involved that way, too, as there will be people coming into the thread just for the draft.

jmo

squicken

To all of our credit on the mock draft, this was a bitch of a draft to try and play guess work with. We knew there would be a slew of trades all over the place and we got a good sense there was going to be a run on lineman in the first 10 rounds probably about a week before the draft itself. Might be better next year to do the mock draft 1-2 weeks out from the draft itself?

Definitely do the "what I think my team will do" mock the week of the draft. Everything seemed to fall in place a week or two before the draft. All the talk about "offensive linemen should go in the the top 10 but won't" shifted to "this will be a top 10 full of offensive linemen" right at the end

bionic77

Except that Iwata is worse at his job than Andy Reid.
Nintendo is stupid but lets wait until the Next Gen consoles release before we bury him.

I could be wrong, but I see a significant dip in console and software sales next gen. You can already see it with the Vita and 3DS. The market can't even support 2 handhelds right now and that was a giant market just a few years ago. Lets see if it can still support 2 expensive HD consoles (not even including the U).

Nintendo will still be around to try again if things go to shit, not so sure you can say the same for whoever loses between MS and Sony. If they are not making money they will just close shop and move to something else. Nintendo has nothing else to move on to.

Draxal

That probably makes sense for them but as a gamer I still want them to make console games. I would buy a U for a single game if it was as good as Galaxy.

I'll agree with Gator (Please kill me), just because I don't like Fire emblem on the consoles.

effzee

That probably makes sense for them but as a gamer I still want them to make console games. I would buy a U for a single game if it was as good as Galaxy.

Well lets hope whatever they reveal this E3 whether its Galaxy 3 or a new direction for 3D console Mario is worth it. That and Mario Kart and whatever Retro has to show.

That's my problem too. Even without any third party titles Nintendo could make me buy their console just for their console first party games.

Next year, we should do it in reverse. Group mock a few weeks out and then do the real mock starting the weekend before the draft. I think we'll get more people involved that way, too, as there will be people coming into the thread just for the draft.

jmo

Definitely do the "what I think my team will do" mock the week of the draft. Everything seemed to fall in place a week or two before the draft. All the talk about "offensive linemen should go in the the top 10 but won't" shifted to "this will be a top 10 full of offensive linemen" right at the end
Yep, I agree. Seems to make the most sense. I think we'll hit a big more if we do it closer and as long as we're vigilant we can get it done pretty quickly. I'll have to find some other player to threaten people with though. :jnc

Draxal

Yep, I agree. Seems to make the most sense. I think we'll hit a big more if we do it closer and as long as we're vigilant we can get it done pretty quickly. I'll have to find some other player to threaten people with though. :jnc

This was a really weird draft in that it bucked the trend, nobody really reached for a qb besides Buffalo and we all expected that they had to.

Colasante

I find a lot of humor in Miami's inability to find a left tackle. I'll never forget a backup Patriots cornerback beating Jonathan Martin with a bullrush and sacking Tannehill in the shutout last season. I'd love it if they were stuck with Martin at left tackle.

Looking at our mock draft I believe (and I'm being totally unbiased here) that PatsGAF deserves the price for best pick. Jarvis Jones at 29 is great value.

bionic77

Well lets hope whatever they reveal this E3 whether its Galaxy 3 or a new direction for 3D console Mario is worth it. That and Mario Kart and whatever Retro has to show.

That's my problem too. Even without any third party titles Nintendo could make me buy their console just for their console first party games.
The key is if they will continue to deliver, but since they have done it consistently for like 30 years now I have no reason to doubt that they won't.

I don't get why people are so eager for Nintendo to die either. I honestly think gaming suffered since Sega died. I miss kickass Sega games. I played a lot of Sega arcade and console games and owned a lot of their consoles. I don't think it will get any better if Nintendo goes. I understand that neither of those had any substantial footprint in PC gaming and that is pretty much were American consoles are going, but personally I would really be bummed if we lost that part of the industry.

Who the fuck knows. Gaming is changing so much that it is impossible to predict where it is going to end up in the next 10+ years.

The key is if they will continue to deliver, but since they have done it consistently for like 30 years now I have no reason to doubt that they won't.

I don't get why people are so eager for Nintendo to die either. I honestly think gaming suffered since Sega died. I miss kickass Sega games. I played a lot of Sega arcade and console games and owned a lot of their consoles. I don't think it will get any better if Nintendo goes. I understand that neither of those had any substantial footprint in PC gaming and that is pretty much were American consoles are going, but personally I would really be bummed if we lost that part of the industry.

Who the fuck knows. Gaming is changing so much that it is impossible to predict where it is going to end up in the next 10+ years.
That isn't an opinion. It's a point of fact.

I was a monster Sega fanboy in my youth. To this day their franchises are some of my all time favorites. Hell, early Sega support is what drove me to the original Xbox. Once Panzer Dragoon Orta was announced...it was over. I had to own the thing.

Oh and fuck the haters - the Saturn was an AMAZING machine.

Slo

So according to the GAF-mock, the Vikes got the #9, #12, and #17 picks at #23, #25, and #29. I'll take it.

bionic77

I was a monster Sega fanboy in my youth. To this day their franchises are some of my all time favorites. Hell, early Sega support is what drove me to the original Xbox. Once Panzer Dragoon Orta was announced...it was over. I had to own the thing.

I really wish it would have succeeded. I fucking love 2D games and a 2D beast of a machine was a great idea. Sega really fucked everything about the launch and everything that followed so badly. I did not even know the machine launched back then and it seemed to have already died by the time the N64 came out.

If Sega did not fuck things up, as a gamer I would have liked the Saturn more if they could have delivered all those kickass 2D games to the West. The N64 and PSX were awesome because of how new everything was at the time, but 99.999999% of those games were shit even at the time. The machines could barely handle 3D and most developers did not know how to make 3D games.

I still would not mind someone making a absolute 2D beast for like 100 bucks with a nice SNES or Saturn controller. But only 2D games. I would be all over that shit. Never going to happen but a man can dream!

Not even the worst tattoo in the conference

What the flying fuck is that? How was it a good idea to get a crying Jesus, Bama boy, doves, beads, American flags and MVP all in one cluster duck of ugliness.

Proven once again that money can't buy taste, him playing for Bama and all. It does get you a hot girlfriend though.

I wouldnt have thought the Vikings would get any of the three players they picked.

I'm still pumped about the draft and I'm glad my pick was retarded wrong.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

I don't know if I'm actually a Sega fanboy but the Yakuza series is one of my absolute favorite. As a company, Sega never really clicked with me until the Dreamcast in some regard. Honestly I vastly prefer their current offerings as a third party except for the fact that you never know if you're going to get things localized.

I really wish it would have succeeded. I fucking love 2D games and a 2D beast of a machine was a great idea. Sega really fucked everything about the launch and everything that followed so badly. I did not even know the machine launched back then and it seemed to have already died by the time the N64 came out.

If Sega did not fuck things up, as a gamer I would have liked the Saturn more if they could have delivered all those kickass 2D games to the West. The N64 and PSX were awesome because of how new everything was at the time, but 99.999999% of those games were shit even at the time. The machines could barely handle 3D and most developers did not know how to make 3D games.

I still would not mind someone making a absolute 2D beast for like 100 bucks with a nice SNES or Saturn controller. But only 2D games. I would be all over that shit. Never going to happen but a man can dream!
Even with the less than optimal 3D capabilities we got some absolute gems like Burning Rangers, the Panzer Dragoon series (Saga in particular), Nights Into Dreams and the Virtua Fighter series got ridiculous amounts of play time at my house. Part 2 is still one of my favorite fighters.

I still own three Saturns believe it or not. One was the original I bought and the other two came along with some full game collections I bought from some folks online.

Saturn Bomberman *love*

Honestly I vastly prefer their current offerings as a third party except for the fact that you never know if you're going to get things localized.
UGH. They're an utter shell of the company they once were. Breaks my damned heart, too. The stuff people go on and on about with Nintendo franchises is what I feel about old school Sega. Such an amazing library of franchises/IP's that they never properly leveraged, IMO.

The death of the Dreamcast was a kick to the nuts for me. I never wanted a system to succeed so badly in all of my time in gaming.

Fantomex

That drawing of Jesus is horrible, looks like a little kid drew it.

Looks like Santa Claus when he was younger.

Why do you think he's crying?

He's crying because he just got kicked out of the Hells Angels.

Sega got me into Gaming.

Stupid sexy Sega.

SeeeeeeeGaaaaaaaa /startup sound

Even with the less than optimal 3D capabilities we got some absolute gems like Burning Rangers, the Panzer Dragoon series (Saga in particular), Nights Into Dreams and the Virtua Fighter series got ridiculous amounts of play time at my house. Part 2 is still one of my favorite fighters.

I still own three Saturns believe it or not. One was the original I bought and the other two came along with some full game collections I bought from some folks online.

Saturn Bomberman *love*

UGH. They're an utter shell of the company they once were. Breaks my damned heart, too. The stuff being go on and on about Nintendo franchises is what I feel about old school Sega. Such an amazing library of franchises/IP's that they never properly leveraged, IMO.

The death of the Dreamcast was a kick to the nuts for me. I never wanted a system to succeed so badly in all of my time in gaming.

One thing these young'ns dont realize on Gaf is that the tail end of a console generation is when the best games come out! On the Saturn it was Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, Shinning Force 3 son! With the PS2 it was Zone of the Enders 2, Winning Eleven and Metal Gear 3 Subsistence. I'm anxiously awaiting Watchdogs now that I've been playing Ni No Kuni. All these people are so hyped for next gen, but Next Gen hardly ever brings really good games, except for Halo, Wipeout and Soul Calibur when they launched with their respective console launches.

Top Bottom