• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

It is not as bad as it seems to be in other countries (even Packer fans don't call black players monkeys), but it is not as good as it should be.

As always the midwest, south and Boston are holding us back.

Do they make monkey sounds at games when the black player gets the ball in the US? Damn Europeans.

edit: Chalkboard Dutch is killing it. Great stuff. The Squadron is great. Ghost Spin is a criminally underused move

I think I'm gonna work on an entire playbook.

effzee

Saw this on my twitter feed. Not sure if true. Need proof!

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 11m
Really?? Wow. Video, please... #stillgotit RT @AndersonColt: Vick just beat Shady in a 40 yard race. @MikeVick

Jets wasting no time

BJRcWjRCAAEGlHx.jpg

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
He added 9 pounds of muscle this off season doe.

Not getting Chip still burns don't it? Vick and McCoy going to race each other to the endzone like Isaac Bruce and Az Hakim did 10 years ago.

At what point in that race to the endzone does Vick end up concussing himself and fumbling the ball?

Fantomex

If Tannehill can throw at least 24 Touchdowns and no more than 15 Ints, we are going to the playoffs, barely. 10-6 can get us there. If hes starts those first four game with at most 4 Int's we're gonna suck. I like the kid, he can throw, but just like most rookies, he locks on to his primary target, rushes his passes and tries to be a gunslinger too often. I'm hoping Herman Munster Philbin can get him to stop that rookie crap and skip the sophomore slump.

squicken

If Tannehill can throw at least 24 Touchdowns and no more than 15 Ints, we are going to the playoffs, barely. 10-6 can get us there. If hes starts those first four game with at most 4 Int's we're gonna suck. I like the kid, he can throw, but just like most rookies, he locks on to his primary target, rushes his passes and tries to be a gunslinger too often. I'm hoping Herman Munster Philbin can get him to stop that rookie crap and skip the sophomore slump.

If he has a sophomore slump, it's going to be b/c Jonathon Martin is his LT. I think Phins' fans are a little too high on the new receiving corps, but it has no doubt been extensively upgraded

edit: FV plz

effzee

Did he have a wonderous Chip Kelly protein shake before the race? If not, doesn't count.

Also, can Shady read a blitz?

Damn why is everyone so on edge? This same topic on the Eagles board got everyone mad as if this playful race means he will be handed the job or defines the position.

And no you guys being all mean and disrespectful...its not like he ran over your dog or anything.

Colasante

Damn why is everyone so on edge? This same topic on the Eagles board got everyone mad as if this playful race means he will be handed the job or defines the position.

And no you guys being all mean and disrespectful...its not like he ran over your dog or anything.

Well, I'm impressed anyway. Maybe it'll be Mike Vick's year.

Fantomex

If he has a sophomore slump, it's going to be b/c Jonathon Martin is his LT. I think Phins' fans are a little too high on the new receiving corps, but it has no doubt been extensively upgraded

edit: FV plz

Here is the crazy part. The majority of his interceptions and missed opportunities come with no defensive pressure. Most times you see Quarterbacks fling it because of the pressure coming towards them, but this kid was turning the ball over with 2 seconds to spare from the pocket collapsing. That's really hard to explain, unless you go with the "locking on to receivers" theory. He needs to improve that. Martin is gonna be good at LT, or if they bring Winston he can remain RT. Either way, Martin is the best OL the phins got. The receivers have been upgraded, but if he doesn't improve his reads we're screwed.

Is it the Italians or Irish that are more racist there? My money is on the Italians.

I'm gonna go with Irish for 400 Alex.

squicken

Thought this was a good look at the Patriots draft

Finds Talent: Needs Improvement. Edge rusher Jamie Collins is a high-upside prospect at a position where the Patriots have an excellent track record of development. Receiver Aaron Dobson is a high-upside prospect at a position where the Patriots have an abysmal track record of development. Josh Boyce looks like Generic Big-12 Receiver to me: Others rave about his route-running and blocking, I see lots of "run to spot on the field" production and a guy who is often looking for someone not to block. As for the New Brunswick Trio, Logan Ryan is an OK nickel corner and "force" type of cornerback on plays in front of him. Duron Harmon is a limited-range camp body at free safety. Steve Beauharnais is a seventh-round pick.

Meets Needs: Satisfactory.
Dobson and Boyce add needed depth at receiver. Collins, Ryan and Harmon play positions where the Patriots need depth and competition. Some offensive line reinforcement would have been welcome.

Uses Resources: Satisfactory. Trading down in the first round was a vintage Patriots move, and it allowed them to address multiple needs: The Patriots' roster is not as deep as the rosters of some other contenders. But then, who knew that their greatest need was to reunite the 2012 Scarlett Knights? Ryan, Dobson and Beauharnais would have made a great fourth=rounder and two undrafted free agents.

Final Assessment: Remediation. If your boss just hired three kids who all happened to go to school with his son, what would you think? Sure, Greg Schiano vouched for the New Brunswick Trio; notice that he did not draft them. Bill Belichick knows the Scarlet Knights better than any other college team, but Rutgers is not Alabama, and the Patriots became the Patriots by knowing a lot about all college teams. Belichick has earned 10 tons of benefit of the doubt, and you are welcome to give him some of yours. Too many great teams have rotted from within because they grew insular when they needed to evolve.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/46341626

JABEE

I'm mad that Gator didn't comment on my alligator gifs. I worked so hard on them.

Also, I hope the last two season's were just down years for Vick. Probably not though.

Here is the crazy part. The majority of his interceptions and missed opportunities come with no defensive pressure. Most times you see Quarterbacks fling it because of the pressure coming towards them, but this kid was turning the ball over with 2 seconds to spare from the pocket collapsing. That's really hard to explain, unless you go with the "locking on to receivers" theory. He needs to improve that. Martin is gonna be good at LT, or if they bring Winston he can remain RT. Either way, Martin is the best OL the phins got. The receivers have been upgraded, but if he doesn't improve his reads we're screwed.
I think you're being a little hard on Tannehill. Let's look at the numbers for a minute. First of all, 3 of his 13 picks came in game one against the Texans, and 2 of those were passes batted at the line (by Watt). At the time everyone was saying he obviously had issues with passing over the line, but that was before Watt started doing that to just about everyone. His other pick in that game was more on the receiver than him.

Okay, so after that we're down to 10 picks. At least 1 or 2 more of those were also a batted ball but I can't remember the number for sure. Anyway, 3 of those came in one game (against the Titans) which was by far the worst game that the team played all year. I won't make excuses for that one, it was abysmal in every sense of the word.

Of the other 7 picks, only 2 came in the last 6 games, and during the same span Tannehill had 6 TD's. There were some bad D's in there (NE twice, JAC, BUF) but they also played some solid teams (SEA, SF). Not too shabby, if you ask me.

The thing you have to keep in mind with Tannehill is that he's very inexperienced. He was raw last season, so its tough to know how high his skill ceiling is at this point. But, he improved a lot over the course of the year and he did it quickly. Keep in mind that during the first ten games of the season Tannehill had a grand total of 30 yards rushing, but in the last six he had 181. You could see him developing in various ways over the course of the year, including his decision making, ability to read a D, ability to tuck the ball and run, and accuracy.

I'm excited to see what he can do in year two. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is no possibility of him regressing or not developing much at all, but there were a lot of positive signs last season. And, at the end of the day, the guy has the tools. His ability to throw on the run is incredible, he's got a cannon of an arm, he can make all the throws, he's got good pocket awareness, and he's incredibly athletic (obvious given his WR background). Regardless of what happens this upcoming season it's at least nice to finally have a young QB that you can feel somewhat excited about.

Of course, all of this could be for naught if the o-line solution (whatever it may be) doesn't pan out.

Thought this was a good look at the Patriots draft

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/46341626

Too many great teams have rotted from within because they grew insular when they needed to evolve

This is my problem with it all. That and that there is no chance in hell, that all the scouts the Patriots have said 'Yeah, that safety kid from Rutgers is our highest rated player , better pick him now!'

It's just Bill slamming on the table saying he wants that guy, he wants him now and fuck everybody else.

In Bill we trust and all that, but that's just not right.

I just want to note that Sanchez' headband is amazing.

Very Italian soccer player from 2007.

bionic77

Do they make monkey sounds at games when the black player gets the ball in the US? Damn Europeans.
Remember that I have not seen a sporting event in every city in this great country, but to the best of my knowledge they do not make monkey noises when a black player gets the ball anywhere in the US. Not even in Green Bay or the deep south.

That is something that mostly happens in Yurope during soccer matches as far as I know.

Americans also usually do not stab each other or set stadiums on fire during a match. Patriot fans may pray to the Devil during, before and after matches, but I can't hate on that too much after all that is their religion.

Talon

Americans also usually do not stab each other or set stadiums on fire during a match. Patriot fans may pray to the Devil during, before and after matches, but I can't hate on that too much after all that is their religion.
Except for Doyers fans.

Remember that I have not seen a sporting event in every city in this great country, but to the best of my knowledge they do not make monkey noises when a black player gets the ball anywhere in the US. Not even in Green Bay or the deep south.

That is something that mostly happens in Yurope during soccer matches as far as I know.

So how about the Eagles fans that set a Cowboy's fan his car on fire last year? Or the stabbings at baseball games in California? The fights at the 9'ers-Raiders game?

Still, soccer 'fans' are probably the worst. Them so called ultra's meeting with 100 fans from both teams to have an all out clash or the burning of scarfs during the game and the fucking racist assholes who make monkey/jungle sounds during soccer games.

Fantomex

I think you're being a little hard on Tannehill. Let's look at the numbers for a minute. First of all, 3 of his 13 picks came in game one against the Texans, and 2 of those were passes batted at the line (by Watt). At the time everyone was saying he obviously had issues with passing over the line, but that was before Watt started doing that to just about everyone. His other pick in that game was more on the receiver than him.

Okay, so after that we're down to 10 picks. At least 1 or 2 more of those were also a batted ball but I can't remember the number for sure. Anyway, 3 of those came in one game (against the Titans) which was by far the worst game that the team played all year. I won't make excuses for that one, it was abysmal in every sense of the word.

Of the other 7 picks, only 2 came in the last 6 games, and during the same span Tannehill had 6 TD's. There were some bad D's in there (NE twice, JAC, BUF) but they also played some solid teams (SEA, SF). Not too shabby, if you ask me.

The thing you have to keep in mind with Tannehill is that he's very inexperienced. He was raw last season, so its tough to know how high his skill ceiling is at this point. But, he improved a lot over the course of the year and he did it quickly. Keep in mind that during the first ten games of the season Tannehill had a grand total of 30 yards rushing, but in the last six he had 181. You could see him developing in various ways over the course of the year, including his decision making, ability to read a D, ability to tuck the ball and run, and accuracy.

I'm excited to see what he can do in year two. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is no possibility of him regressing or not developing much at all, but there were a lot of positive signs last season. And, at the end of the day, the guy has the tools. His ability to throw on the run is incredible, he's got a cannon of an arm, he can make all the throws, he's got good pocket awareness, and he's incredibly athletic (obvious given his WR background). Regardless of what happens this upcoming season it's at least nice to finally have a young QB that you can feel somewhat excited about.

Of course, all of this could be for naught if the o-line solution (whatever it may be) doesn't pan out.

We are hard on those we love Red. All your points are valid and taken into account. He is the most raw out of any quarterback drafted in the last 10 years most likely. Unfortunately for him, RG3 and Luck changed the game. Not since Marino, Elway and Kelly has a QB class been this promising. He's got a lot of improvement to do, but yes, he has all the tools to make this happen. He needs to become a student of the game, just like five head. He needs to live, eat and breathe game tape. I have high hopes for him. Even taking away his interceptions, his TD passes were very low. I know the receivers have been brought in to improve that, so this year the pressure is really gonna be on him.

Nate Kaeding retires.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/02/nate-kaeding-decides-to-hang-up-his-cleats/

Kicker Nate Kaeding signed a one-year deal with the Buccaneers this offseason, but apparently won’t be joining them after all.

Kaeding told Pat Harty of the Iowa City Press-Citizen that a recent groin injury caused him to decide to retire. The University of Iowa football team also sent out a retirement message on their Twitter account.

Outside of Rivers, the last of the picks from the Giants haul in the Eli Manning trade if memory serves.

cdyhybrid

Best win-now move

Seattle trades its first-round pick, No. 25, to Minnesota for Percy Harvin: You saw the first round unfold last Thursday night. Did you see any playmakers available at No. 25 who could give the Seahawks what they're expecting from Harvin this season? When he's healthy, Harvin is one of the NFL's premier game-breaking talents, and his addition to Seattle's receiving and return games adds a new layer of complication for the Seahawks' opponents. In the Pacific Northwest this season, Seattle's Best might have nothing to do with coffee.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130501/nfl-offseason-superlatives/index.html

effzee

I just want to note that Sanchez' headband is amazing.

Poor guy. I think with the coaching staff and weapons on the team I give him 10% chance of saving his career this coming season.

Geno is going to be starting one way or another in 2014. Maybe he can play decent enough to get another team to bring him in to compete for a job next year.

Well, I'm impressed anyway. Maybe it'll be Mike Vick's year.

If he does start he has no excuse not to excel. Plenty of WRs, TEs, and IMO a top 5 RB in McCoy. Oh and they just upgraded the OLINE in a major way by drafting Lane Johnson plus all injured guys coming back. He also now has a coach who for once will design an offense around his players and not the way around. A coach who is a supposed offensive genius who exploits match-ups.

I fully expect the Eagles offense to be in the top 5 in all relevant categories, especially in the redzone. Even if its Foles or Barkley starting they should be good on offense.

Poor guy. I think with the coaching staff and weapons on the team I give him 10% chance of saving his career this coming season.

Geno is going to be starting one way or another in 2014. Maybe he can play decent enough to get another team to bring him in to compete for a job next year.
Drafting Geno gives Rex the out to sit Sanchez now despite the contract. I think he'll still be the starter much to the chagrin of Jets fans but when he no doubt under performs, he'll be pulled for one of the other 16 QB's they have on the roster. Geno seems likely if its Rex's last gasp of life with the organization. I think he's fired either way unless the Jets somehow manage a playoff birth.

There was no alternative last season, really (Tebow isn't a quarterback). I didn't blame Rex for not benching him. They had nothing on the roster.

I would think Sanchez would have no problem at all getting a backup job, either.

We are hard on those we love Red. All your points are valid and taken into account. He is the most raw out of any quarterback drafted in the last 10 years most likely. Unfortunately for him, RG3 and Luck changed the game. Not since Marino, Elway and Kelly has a QB class been this promising. He's got a lot of improvement to do, but yes, he has all the tools to make this happen. He needs to become a student of the game, just like five head. He needs to live, eat and breathe game tape. I have high hopes for him. Even taking away his interceptions, his TD passes were very low. I know the receivers have been brought in to improve that, so this year the pressure is really gonna be on him.
Yep, agreed on all counts. I'm willing to rationalize away his mistakes for year one but I won't be nearly as soft on him this time around (unless the o-line just completely collapses or something).

It really is insane how good last year's QB class was, especially when you contrast it with this one. I do remember reading that Tannehill was very consumed with football stuff during the year last year, so hopefully he's got that drive that could allow him to become a special QB down the road.

As far as the TD passes you're completely right, but the receivers really were a big part of that (I know I'm preaching to the choir, though). The biggest issue with the receivers was how worthless they were after the catch.

But man, if Tannehill ends up being the next in a long line of Henne's it will break me pretty good. I usually don't get my hopes up when it comes to QB's but I'm pretty excited with Tannehill.

Top Bottom