• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

I think Tannehil had a pretty decent rookie season. Let's see how he does without Jake Long. How many games did Long miss last year?
The last four (four of Tannehill's better games, actually). And even when Long did play he was far from the anchor he used to be. Last year was his worst season by a long shot. PFF ranked him 46th among OT's if I remember correctly.

Sanjuro

I think Tannehil had a pretty decent rookie season. Let's see how he does without Jake Long. How many games did Long miss last year?

He needs a ton of help, especially reading a defense. I'm going to be pessimistic with him. Can't keep putting up numbers like that in the modern NFL, even for a rookie. Still is the best option for the Dolphins. They haven't even attempted to groom a quarterback for years.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Nate Kaeding retires.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/02/nate-kaeding-decides-to-hang-up-his-cleats/

Outside of Rivers, the last of the picks from the Giants haul in the Eli Manning trade if memory serves.

He still hears the boos

44yrH.jpg

effzee

All over twitter now from all the Eagles players:

Apparently McCoy had been on Vick's case for weeks about being an old man who had lost a step. So today after a practice, Vick asked Chip if he could race McCoy. The team watched as Vick in his 30s beat McCoy in a 40 yard dash by 4-5 yards.

I am not as surprised by McCoy losing since he isn't a straight line runner more of a cut back juke moves type runner, but Vick who everyone claimed has lost a step still retaining that speed is impressive.

DREAM TEAM 5.0!

ChanHuk

Banned

Apparently McCoy had been on Vick's case for weeks about being an old man who had lost a step. So apparently today after a practice, Vick asked Chip if he could race McCoy. The team watched as Vick in his 30s beat McCoy in a 40 yard dash by 4-5 yards.

I am not as surprised by McCoy losing since he isn't a straight line runner more of a cut back juke moves type runner, but Vick who everyone claimed has lost a step still retaining that speed is impressive.

DREAM TEAM 5.0!

Shady ran a 4.5 forty did he not? Vick ran a 4.3 if I'm not mistaken, even if he lost a step he'd still be about the same straight line speed as Shady who's been beaten up as a RB.

Brinbe

Apparently McCoy had been on Vick's case for weeks about being an old man who had lost a step. So apparently today after a practice, Vick asked Chip if he could race McCoy. The team watched as Vick in his 30s beat McCoy in a 40 yard dash by 4-5 yards.

DREAM TEAM 5.0!

Problem has never been Vick's legs, more his brain

squicken

Dutch called it on Sanchez's hair band

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
RT @KimJonesSports “@judybattista: @KimJonesSports Could you ask him about the hairband?”... Done. He said it's "my inner soccer player."

Yep, agreed on all counts. I'm willing to rationalize away his mistakes for year one but I won't be nearly as soft on him this time around (unless the o-line just completely collapses or something).

It really is insane how good last year's QB class was, especially when you contrast it with this one. I do remember reading that Tannehill was very consumed with football stuff during the year last year, so hopefully he's got that drive that could allow him to become a special QB down the road.

As far as the TD passes you're completely right, but the receivers really were a big part of that (I know I'm preaching to the choir, though). The biggest issue with the receivers was how worthless they were after the catch.

But man, if Tannehill ends up being the next in a long line of Henne's it will break me pretty good. I usually don't get my hopes up when it comes to QB's but I'm pretty excited with Tannehill.

Same offensive system two years in a row, upgraded surrounding talent. They are ahead of about 2/3 of the teams that draft rookie QBs early in the first round

Fantomex

Yep, agreed on all counts. I'm willing to rationalize away his mistakes for year one but I won't be nearly as soft on him this time around (unless the o-line just completely collapses or something).

It really is insane how good last year's QB class was, especially when you contrast it with this one. I do remember reading that Tannehill was very consumed with football stuff during the year last year, so hopefully he's got that drive that could allow him to become a special QB down the road.

As far as the TD passes you're completely right, but the receivers really were a big part of that (I know I'm preaching to the choir, though). The biggest issue with the receivers was how worthless they were after the catch.

But man, if Tannehill ends up being the next in a long line of Henne's it will break me pretty good. I usually don't get my hopes up when it comes to QB's but I'm pretty excited with Tannehill.

I am super hyped about Tannehill. I never got hyped about any QB since Marino. Not even Culpepper. That dude was never the same after leaving Minnesotta. But this guy has a rocket arm, can make those difficult throws and is a very underrated runner.

Long missed 4 games last year. Technically he missed 5 though.

effzee

Problem has never been Vick's legs, more his brain

Well his enabler and punisher, Andy Reid is gone. If Chip rides with Vick than I am all behind it 100% and believe it will be if he can protect Vick and Vick can protect himself. Hell running the ball alone would help.

Well his enabler and punisher, Andy Reid is gone. If Chip rides with Vick than I am all behind it 100% and believe it will be if he can protect Vick and Vick can protect himself.
All joking aside, Michael Vick has completed a full 16 game schedule once in his entire career. 2006 was that year I believe. What makes you think that bordering on the age of 33, he's going to be able to do so now? (serious question)

Vick's been trumpeting that whole "I know I have to protect myself better and play better" for three seasons now. He's got a freaking flak jacket on when he plays now and he still has no ability to stay healthy.

Nevermind the inability to read a blitz or the fact that he's been a turnover machine recently - the odds of him completing a full season are not exactly on his side. That's why the back-up QB situation is interesting to watch for the Eagles. There's a pretty high percentage chance that either Barkley/Foles get extended play time in 2013.

Colasante

All joking aside, Michael Vick has completed a full 16 game schedule once in his entire career. 2006 was that year I believe. What makes you think that bordering on the age of 33, he's going to be able to do so now? (serious question)

Vick's been trumpeting that whole "I know I have to protect myself better and play better" for three seasons now. He's got a freaking flak jacket on when he plays now and he still has no ability to stay healthy.

Nevermind the inability to read a blitz or the fact that he's been a turnover machine recently - the odds of him completing a full season are not exactly on his side. That's why the back-up QB situation is interesting to watch for the Eagles. There's a pretty high percentage chance that either Barkley/Foles get extended play time in 2013.

I didn't watch enough Oregon to be able to speak about Chip Kelly's offense, but I would imagine that the higher tempo would lead to more quick passes, and less of Vick sitting in the pocket trying to be the pocket passer that he isn't.

Quicker passes, a better offensive line, and an improved running game should help Vick stay healthier for longer, but his knack for finding absurd injuries like knocking his hand on the back of a teammate's helmet makes me think he won't make it through 16 games regardless.

I didn't watch enough Oregon to be able to speak about Chip Kelly's offense, but I would imagine that the higher tempo would lead to more quick passes, and less of Vick sitting in the pocket trying to be the pocket passer that he isn't.

Quicker passes, a better offensive line, and an improved running game should help Vick stay healthier for longer, but his knack for finding absurd injuries like knocking his hand on the back of a teammate's helmet makes me think he won't make it through 16 games regardless.
From what I watched of Oregon last year (probably 5 games or so) I'd say you're exactly right. Quick passes were a huge part of that offense from what I saw, and the QB rarely looked like he was in a position to take much of a beating.

That won't help Vick on his reads, though. He's got to get better about seeing those blitzes coming, especially when they're unblocked on his blindside. I hope Vick can pull it together and have a good year, when he's on he's one of the most exciting players in the league to watch.

Dutch called it on Sanchez's hair band

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
RT @KimJonesSports “@judybattista: @KimJonesSports Could you ask him about the hairband?”... Done. He said it's "my inner soccer player."

I'm not only a genius playdesigner, I'm also very good at recognizing fashion.

Seriously though, Sanchez looks like a massive douche. SHOCKING

effzee

Well all joking aside I don't think Vick will ever learn to slide. He might practice is but in game situations his instincts kick in. He will either take a terrible hit or dive head first.

I think what hurt him, on top being who and what he is as a QB, is that Reid never adjusted to anything. When in 2010 Vick was playing lights out and was not turning the ball over, teams were not blitzing. Vick was having a field day. Then the Giants blitzed non stop and it worked (even if we won the game and destroyed a laptop). The rest of the league has done the same the last two seasons. Vick didn't show he could pick it up or read it properly but for his faults Reid never adjusted. If he knew Vick couldn't pick it up you either bench him or come up with something schematically to adjust.

That was Reid's biggest problem in my opinion and nothing new either. Going back to the Winston Justice 12 sack game against McNabb where he refused to run the ball or adjust.

Last year was the worst. 4 out of the 5 starters from the OLINE were out, Vick still couldn't read the blitz, and Reid refused to run the ball or adjust.

If Chip sticks true to his word than just running the ball (at least 30-35 carries), shortening the routes (we were a deep ball team for the past 3-4 seasons), and a healthy OLINE + LJ should eliminate some of the unnecessary hits Vick took. He will stick take his fair share. When he takes off and doesn't go out of bounds or slide. You can't protect him completely but you can adjust your offense (if he is your QB) and make sure you don't expose him to far worse.

He has also had some freak injuries like turning into his olineman's helmet or hitting his hand on the back of his olineman's helmet.

More races!

Brandon Boykin ‏@BrandonBoykin2 1m
So @MikeVick beat @CutonDime25 in a race today.. #rematch Monday. Now @jmac_18 and myself goin toe to toe next week.. Mac fast but #ILikeme

And Mike feeling amazing with added muscle:

Mike Vick ‏@MikeVick 5m
Shout-out to our strength & conditioning program. I'm loving!! I feel the best I've felt in years. #BleedGreen

Talon

Vick is great at throwing slants and anything between the hashes. Atlanta fans screamed bloody murder at Knapp for never taking advantage of that.

Granted, he was throwing at Peerless Price, Michael Jenkins, Brian Finneran, Dez White and Ashley Lelie on the outside in varying configurations, so it's just as well.

Oregon is very much a "one read and go" type of offense. Kelly showed more patience with Darron towards the end of his career there, but Ducks fans got tired of Darron being WAY too hesitant to take off and go. Never really understand that. The Cal games in particularly, Darron just refused to pull the ball out on the zone reads the entire game, and it almost cost them.

effzee

Vick is great at throwing slants and anything between the hashes. Atlanta fans screamed bloody murder at Knapp for never taking advantage of that.

Granted, he was throwing at Peerless Price, Michael Jenkins, Brian Finneran, Dez White and Ashley Lelie on the outside in varying configurations, so it's just as well.

Oregon is very much a "one read and go" type of offense. Kelly showed more patience with Darron towards the end of his career there, but Ducks fans got tired of Darron being WAY too hesitant to take off and go. Never really understand that. The Cal games in particularly, Darron just refused to pull the ball out on the zone reads the entire game, and it almost cost them.

One read and go, simplified play calling, and running the ball should all help whoever is the QB.

Again I think this offense at least should be a top 5 offense. Especially if Vick is the starter.

Talon

One read and go, simplified play calling, and running the ball should all help whoever is the QB.

Again I think this offense at least should be a top 5 offense. Especially if Vick is the starter.
DT was actually a good pocket passer at the end there. Mariotta's a better QB than DT. He seemed to be more aggressive about taking the yards that were there.

Basically, Chip's offense thrives as long as the QB is being assertive and making quick decisions. The games they've lost usually have come down to the QB showing hesitancy throughout the game.

I'm a big fan of Chip from a holistic perspective. I think he does a great job of preparing his guys and all that ancillary stuff that matters. At the same time, I don't think he's going to have as stark of an advantage here in the NFL compared to the College game. We really overestimate the amount of practice time that's "available" to NFL players. Coaches work long hours. Players only have to work Wednesday to Friday/Saturday.

That offense will have initial success here, but he's not going to have the stamina advantage in the NFL that he had in Oregon playing Wazzu and Arizona State.

So, what I'm saying is:
1. Chip is more than his scheme/tempo.
2. I am skeptical of his tempo being a big competitive advantage.
3. I am a fan of Chip Kelly.

What I really wonder about is the defense. Aliotti and Kelly's strategy seemed to mostly be "Throw as many bodies on the field as possible," which is...adequate in the college game to some extent, but you can't do that in the NFL. Your best players need to stay on the field.

Colasante

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--p...-t-nearly-as-bad-as-some-claim-140818102.html

Mike Silver trying to say that the Carson Palmer trade wasn't really bad for Oakland. I don't know. There's so much silliness that I'd feel wrong just excerpting a little

Is Mike Silver the guy who went on a ridiculous screed against the Raiders for firing Hue Jackson? It's not a surprise he would defend the trade.

I still think it's easily the worst trade in recent NFL history, but to be fair, it's impossible to judge what would have happened had Hue Jackson been able to fully execute whatever he envisioned when he dealt for him. They were only one game away from making the playoffs, and who knows what may have happened had the Raiders made the playoffs instead of the Broncos. Maybe Peyton doesn't even end up going to Denver, and Palmer spends another year in Jackson's offense instead of having Greg Knapp come in and muck it all up.

But whatever, it doesn't matter. Trading a 1st and a 2nd for Carson Palmer is indefensible.

MechDX

anyone have the mock from this year just want to see how we did

NFL-Gaf Mock Draft 2013

1. Chiefs - Luke Joeckel - T - Texas A&M

2. Jaguars - Eric Fisher - T - Central Michigan

3. Raiders - ChanHuk, Mackenzie 92 - Star Lotulelei - DT - University of Utah

4. Eagles - Yankeehater, JABEE - Dee Miliner - CB - University of Alabama

5. Lions - WedgeX, Goldlion054, Kastrioti, Plinko - Ziggy Ansah - DE - BYU

6. Browns - BlackGhost, Wes, theBatman - Dion Jordan -DE/OLB - Oregon

7. Cardinals - Squall ASF (Futurevoid standing in as Squall was not around) - Geno Smith - QB - West Virginia

8. Bills - LJ11 - Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia

9. Jets - Fox318 (Futurevoid standing in) - Shariff Floyd - DT - Florida

10. Titans - Fidelis Hodie (Futurevoid standing in) - Chance Warmack - G - Alabama

11. Chargers - Nightz - Lane Johnson - T - Oklahoma

12. Dolphins - The_Darkest_Red - Xavier Rhodes - CB - FSU

13. Buccaneers - Colonel Nasty - Bjoern Werner - FSU

14. Panthers - Bowser - Sheldon Richardson - DT - Missouri

15. Saints - cajunator - Barkevious Mingo - DE/OLB - LSU

16. Rams - squicken, B for Bendetta - Jonathan Cooper - G - North Carolina

17. Steelers - DeaconKnowledge, chuckddd, Angmarsking701, 789shadow - Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Tenessee

18. Cowboys - cashman - Datone Jones - DE - UCLA

19. Giants - Futurevoid, BigAT, Striker, The Frankman, Wellington - Cornellius "Tank" Carradine - DE - FSU

20. Bears - cuevas, phd., Vio-lence, Plasticine, minx88 - Alec Ogletree - LB - Georgia

21. Bengals - eznark - Kenny Vaccarro - FS - Texas

22. Rams (from Redskins) - squicken, B for Bendetta - DeAndre Hopkins - WR - Clemson

23. Vikings - BannedEpisode (Futurevoid standing in) - Keenan Allen - WR - California

24. Colts - SpinDasher - Demontre Moore - DE - Texas A&M

25. Vikings - from Seattle - BannedEpisode - Jonathan Hankins - DT - Ohio State

26. Packers - eznark, TheLegendary - Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame

27. Texans - MechDX (Futurevoid standing in)- Justin Hunter - WR - Tenessee

28. Broncos - Godslay, Hunter S Thompson, tiggerkiddo - Desmond Trufant - CB - Washington

29. Patriots - Dutch Patriot - Jarvis Jones - OLB - Georgia

30. Falcons - Talon, DCX - Sylvester Williams - DT - North Carolina

31. 49ers - FrenchMovieTheme - Zach Ertz - TE - Stanford

32. Ravens - BaltimoreLarry, Nakazato - Arthur Brown - LB - Kansas State

PITY PICK - Washington Redskins - Manti Te'o - LB - Notre Dame

BONUS MOCK PRIZE: Also goes to the Redskins. They get Te'o's invisible girlfriend, too. Just in case anyone gets on him for being gay in the locker room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That concludes the NFL-Gaf 2013 1st Round Mock Draft!

Thanks to everyone for their participation. For those that were not able to make it, I hope I was able to represent your team well. If not, too bad. You should have made it. Be happy I didn't give you the dreaded Te'o!

I'll keep this handy and repost it again right before and after the draft to see how we measured up. Enjoy!

squicken

Is Mike Silver the guy who went on a ridiculous screed against the Raiders for firing Hue Jackson? It's not a surprise he would defend the trade.

I still think it's easily the worst trade in recent NFL history, but to be fair, it's impossible to judge what would have happened had Hue Jackson been able to fully execute whatever he envisioned when he dealt for him. They were only one game away from making the playoffs, and who knows what may have happened had the Raiders made the playoffs instead of the Broncos. Maybe Peyton doesn't even end up going to Denver, and Palmer spends another year in Jackson's offense instead of having Greg Knapp come in and muck it all up.

But whatever, it doesn't matter. Trading a 1st and a 2nd for Carson Palmer is indefensible.

Yeah for some reason he loves Hue Jackson. Says it was criminal that he wasn't interviewed for a HC position this past offseason. What's dumb about the piece, well one of many dumb things, is that he asserts that it was only after the fact that people said it was a dumb trade. The moment they made the trade, everyone said it was stupid

edit: Can't believe the Ravens got Brown where they did. Texans are taking shit locally for not going up to get him since they really want him

Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole reports free agent Tim Tebow would like to go to a team where he can sit and learn behind a great quarterback and coach.
There aren't many openings that meet Tebow's requests. Cole named the Saints as a "perfect" spot just as an example. Two other teams with an entrenched quarterback and winning coach are the Packers and Patriots. We wouldn't suspect Green Bay or New Orleans would be interested, but New England could be if Tebow is willing to broaden his horizons and learn a different position.
He might be locked up for a couple years, but then he'll RISE!

MechDX

damn 2 of 32 :jnc

but we did get Art Brown to the ravens right just wrong round

You mean you stole him right?
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/49730/texans-just-missed-on-arthur-brown

King’s Monday Morning Quarterback:

“Baltimore had the 62nd pick overall, late in the second round. In the first round, they'd gotten the safety they liked most, Matt Elam. Now as the picks ticked by, they knew they risked losing the linebacker they liked most at this point, Kansas State's Arthur Brown. So the Ravens dealt the 62nd pick along with fifth- and sixth-round picks to Seattle for the 56th pick. They picked Brown.

"Sources tell me Brown was going to be Houston's pick at 57, and he was a strong consideration for Denver at 58. Brown's a potential captain, the kind of leader the Ravens hope two or three years down the road will start to fill the void left by Ray Lewis. Great trade."

Colasante

He might be locked up for a couple years, but then he'll RISE!

Aside from all of the media hoopla, Tebow would actually make a good practice squad addition for a team like the Packers, Patriots, or Saints. He could be good on the scout team, to help the team prepare for read option offenses. I don't think he has practice squad eligibility though, but if he did, that'd be a nice option instead of having to burn a roster spot on him.

Also:

Heck yes.

squicken

All I will claim credit for is trying to tell you guys that teams really were getting smarter and wouldn't reach for these QBs. Geno just never played like a first round pick

Our mock--Cooper+Hopkins+46 overall

Reality-- Austin+Ogletree+Bailey

I really like Cooper. Think Austin is going to be good but he needs to play for a coach like Sean Payton to really be maxed out. Wouldn't b shocked if Bailey and Hopkins had similar careers. I thought outside of Austin and the TENN WRs, the rest of the WRs were just a big bag of probably WR #2

I don't put much stock into these grades but what in the world is an E grade? The Pats got two "E"s.

I dont take them seriously either, its the results of the draft according to a draft simulation game that assigns scores based off of player scouting reports/value.

Top Bottom