• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
One thing these young'ns dont realize on Gaf is that the tail end of a console generation is when the best games come out! On the Saturn it was Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, Shinning Force 3 son! With the PS2 it was Zone of the Enders 2, Winning Eleven and Metal Gear 3 Subsistence. I'm anxiously awaiting Watchdogs now that I've been playing Ni No Kuni. All these people are so hyped for next gen, but Next Gen hardly ever brings really good games, except for Halo, Wipeout and Soul Calibur when they launched with their respective console launches.

SNES launch was amazing! Simcity, Fzero, and Super Mario!!

I'd actually argue that launches with mediocre games is the exception and not the rule.

The Wii U had the worst launch in my book easily. Next in line is the PS3 and then the 360. The 360 is saved if you put Oblivion into its launch window (although I loved Kameo).

SNES launch was amazing! Simcity, Fzero, and Super Mario!!

I'd actually argue that launches with mediocre games is the exception and not the rule.

The Wii U had the worst launch in my book easily. Next in line is the PS3 and then the 360. The 360 is saved if you put Oblivion into its launch window (although I loved Kameo).
360 at launch had Amped 3, Condemned, Call of Duty 2, Kameo and PGR3. You could argue the quality of Kameo but hell I thought it was decent. Overall, that's a pretty solid lineup to start out with and then you got Oblivion shortly afterwards.

PS3 I agree with you on. That shit was dire. There was Resistance Fall of Man and then *crickets*

PS2 was far worse than the 360 and even the Wii U, IMO. Look at this:

Armored Core 2
DOA2: Hardcore
Dynasty Warriors 2
ESPN International Track & Field
ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding
Eternal Ring
Evergrace
FantaVision
Gungriffon Blaze
Kessen
Madden NFL 2001
Midnight Club: Street Racing
NHL 2001
Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
Q-Ball: Billiards Master
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
Ridge Racer V
Silent Scope
Smuggler's Run
SSX
Street Fighter EX3
Summoner
Surfing H3O
Tekken Tag Tournament
TimeSplitters
Unreal Tournament
Wild Wild Racing
X-Squad

There aren't enough gifs to convey the level of "I don't give a fuck" about that launch lineup. :jnc at Summoner.

There aren't enough gifs to convery the level of "I don't give a fuck" about that launch lineup. :jnc at Summoner.
Wow, I just got a rush of flashbacks involving Smuggler's Run. That game was fun at the time but I'd be scared to play it now.

cdyhybrid

I got an SNES with Link to the Past and Super Mario World for Xmas 3 weeks after my 6th birthday. It's still in the top 5 days of my life.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
360 at launch had Condemned, Call of Duty 2, Kameo and PGR3. You could argue the quality of Kameo but hell I thought it was decent. Overall, that's a pretty solid lineup to start out with and then you got Oblivion shortly afterwards.

PS3 I agree with you on. That shit was dire. There was Resistance Fall of Man and then *crickets*

Call of Duty was great game no doubt. I tend to judge launches on their ability to keep me solely entertained so after I beat Call of Duty and Kameo, Ghost Recon and Oblivion were the only other things I looked forward to.

Like Fantomex said, a lot of great games come out at the end of a generation and the PS2 was just killing it still. However I had no such sense of lingering towards the SNES when the Playstation came out or towards the N64/PSX when the PS2 came out. Sometimes when a generation arrives, it's hard to go back.

I'm curious to see what happens this time. I imagine a lot of lingering again since the graphical jump just isn't there.

Fantomex

PS2 launch was so bad, people were hyped about Oni. Remember this cover?

oni-ps2.jpeg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

There aren't enough gifs to convery the level of "I don't give a fuck" about that launch lineup. :jnc at Summoner.

Dynasty Warriors 2 was the greatest thing my 19 year old self ever experienced. I grew up playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms on SNES/Genesis/PSX (along with all those other awesome Koei games like PTO2, Genghis Khan, etc.) so DW2 was everything I wanted in a game. I also played the crap out of Kessen. The Bouncer was awful and everyone expecting Final Fantasy was sorely disappointed. We should have noticed the signs of Squares demise then!

bionic77

The jump from PS1 to PS2 was unbelievable.I wonder if PS3 to PS4 will be as big.
PS2 era (along with DC, cube and Xbox) is
when they perfected 3d gameplay. We have played the same games since with a few exceptions. Only now they are prettier with less content. This will only continue.

O Rift is a bigger jump IMHO.

jakncoke

Banned
PS2 era (along with DC, cube and Xbox) is
when they perfected 3d gameplay. We have played the same games since with a few exceptions. Only now they are prettier with less content. This will only continue.

O Rift is a bigger jump IMHO.

60 bucks for 2 hour fps game but it has online! 3 hour adventure games, 6 hours of linear rpg

squicken

-lulz at McCarron's tattoos. Almost as bad as Tyler Bray's. I would actually slide him down any prospect ranking b/c of it

-Barry Sanders' high school highlights. Really bad quality but you can see the magic. He sent these to Oklahoma State with instructions to send them along to Oklahoma. The coach at Okie State saw them and said no way are we letting anyone else have him, and didn't send on the tape. Great players stuck at a second rate college team, on to go to a second rate NFL team

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2013...-football-oklahoma-state-detroit-running-back

Milchjon

It's sad how multi level marketing schemes can approach students and seemingly still succeed...
(Prospective) money trumps both logic and integrity.

There aren't enough gifs to convey the level of "I don't give a fuck" about that launch lineup. :jnc at Summoner.

I know that's pretty much the consensus in web land, but I kind of enjoyed the PS2 launch.

NHL
SSX
Tekken Tag
Ridge Racer V
Madden
Timesplitters
Midnight Club

Those were the games that kept me busy during launch. I liked it a whole lot more than the PS3 launch, I know that.

bionic77

I know that's pretty much the consensus in web land, but I kind of enjoyed the PS2 launch.

NHL
SSX
Tekken Tag
Ridge Racer V
Madden
Timesplitters
Midnight Club

Those were the games that kept me busy during launch. I liked it a whole lot more than the PS3 launch, I know that.
PS2 launch seemed bad because of how good the DC launch was before it. I had both but for awhile I played a lot more DC. Replaced it with a Cube once it died. I don't remember much from that launch. Just luigi (forgettable rental) and a kick ass Star Wars game.

:lol all I remember from early PS2 was that MGS trailer. I don't remember liking any games.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
That's not nice to Nintendo. You know u will get some classic games. No one thinks anything good will come from the Jets...

That's so true.

Despite the fact that we all root for the Jets twice a season, we know better than to assume. I can assume the Wii U will have 5 or so amazing games.

tmdorsey

As for the Falcons stadium concepts, I'd vote for #2.

If only because I fear what the PSL price would be for the 1st one. :(

I know I'm late on this but, I like #1. It's on some other shit and the way the roof opens is cool as hell.

The way ticket prices keep going up, I will probably be priced out way before this thing opens up so I'm not worried about the PSLs.

squicken

No idea when this was actually taken, but it was posted by the Broncos on their Facebook b/c they are bitter that their old QB is better than the new one. It will be a thing I'm sure so here it is

Top Bottom