• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Welp Browns GAF, NFL GAF today is a sad day. Today is the day the myth, the legend, the American Hero Thad Lewis was waived by the Browns. It's the the end of the TL9 saga guys. He'll probably land with the eagles now, so enjoy and cherish him Eagles Gaf :")
#TeamTL9
8pNHtfW.gif

squicken

It's the curse of reversion to the mean.

Well once upon a time good teams in the midst of multi-year playoff runs made the SB. When BAL fails to repeat this year, it will be the longest the league has ever gone w/o a repeat champion. Now that SEA has clearer path to the title, maybe their run starts now?

Ramses Barden on his way back to the Giants:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2013/05/giants-may-reunite-with-ramses-barden

Barden, the Giants’ third-round pick in 2009, is heading back to the New York area and will take a physical with team doctors on Thursday, the Daily News has learned. And if all goes well for the unrestricted free agent, according to an NFL source, he could sign a one-year deal to return before the end of the day.

Still no word on Hynoski's injury.:(

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--w...-irritates-coach-tom-coughlin--234525717.html

Nicks send Giants a message by not showing up for OTAs. A Cruz/Nicks double holdout?
If that's true, he's sending the wrong message. He makes Jerry's decision to dump him and keep Cruz that much easier considering how injury prone Nicks has been. Reese has draft investments in Jernigan and a 2nd rounder in Randle who he compared to Nicks when he picked him last season.

Nope. Just comparisons to PS4. "Underpowered" is being thrown around a lot.

We dont even have specs for the X1 yet, plus we know that this gen MS' developer tools/support killed Sony's. I really hope Sony does improve on that stuff this coming gen but it is silly to say that PS4 games are going to look much better then X1 games at this point.

We dont even have specs for the X1 yet.
Huh?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4

- 8-core AMD Jaguar CPU
- 12 CU/768 SP AMD GCN GPU
- 8GB DDR3 system memory
- 500GB HDD
- Blu-ray drive
- 2.4/5.0GHz 802.11 a/b/g/n, multiple radios with WiFi Direct support
- 4K HDMI in/out (for cable TV passthrough)
- USB 3.0
- Available later this year
That sure looks like specs to me.

plus we know that this gen MS' developer tools/support killed Sony's
What killed Sony was the Cell processor and how difficult it was to understand/learn to program for it and harness its power. Both platforms are running x86 architecture this generation. The wall is gone completely gone now. They are fucking PC's. The differentiating factor is memory bandwidth, how its used and the GPU power built into the platforms.

From the article you linked:

While Microsoft was light on technical details
, I believe we have enough to put together some decent analysis. Let’s get to it.

People are still making guesses based on what they think the final specs will be. I dont doubt that they are correct but there is no way to know for sure until MS gives out the official specs.
I can play that game:

I believe we have enough to put together some decent analysis. Let’s get to it.
Unless Microsoft suddenly plans to completely redesign their RAM architecture, eliminate the use of ESRAM and move to GDDR5, then you're just being daft or willfully trolling at this point (Microsoft even went ahead and stated they weren't shooting for top level graphics hardware!)

I'm wondering why you're so needing the One to be better here? The 360 wasn't as powerful as the PS3 and it didn't stop its success. From the article:

The funny thing about game consoles is that it’s usually the lowest common denominator that determines the bulk of the experience across all platforms.

Microsoft goes and owns the market and all of that power from the PS4 won't matter anyways. I'll never understand platform cheering.

Godslay

Banned

, I believe we have enough to put together some decent analysis. Let’s get to it.

People are still making guesses based on what they think the final specs will be. I dont doubt that they are correct but there is no way to know for sure until MS gives out the official specs.

Go to the next page though, a bit more details.

Fantomex

Like official specs matter. Dudes on gaming side are still saying WiiU isn't underpowered.

I'm wondering why you're so needing the One to be better here? The 360 wasn't as powerful as the PS3 and it didn't stop its success. From the article:

I have no idea where you are getting this from. I have no idea which console will be better yet. We havent even see any games from one of them, and launch games are never indicative of what is possible anyways. All I was saying originally is it is silly to say that one console will definitely have better looking games then the other. It didnt happen this gen and like you said devs usually target the lowest common denominator. In the end I think both consoles are going to blow people away with their games at E3.

brentech

Yerp.
PS3/360, originally everything was developed with 360 as lead platform. Usually lead to extra kinks in PS3 version. Then about midway through the generation to now, many developers finally grasped the PS3 and started leading on it. Stronger or not, the differences were minimal.

The question with PS4 and Xbox is...being x86 architecture, will games more easily be able to be optimized for one system and lower for the other. Almost in a PC game settings type way, but before they press it to disc, obviously.

It'll be interesting. I'm sure the early games that release multi-platform will be carbon copies....maybe. It's gun get good.

Godslay

Banned
I can play that game:

Unless Microsoft suddenly plans to completely redesign their RAM architecture, eliminate the use of ESRAM and move to GDDR5, then you're just being daft or willfully trolling at this point (Microsoft even went ahead and stated they weren't shooting for top level graphics hardware!)

Well depending on how they use that eSRAM, it sounds like the difference between DDR and GDDR will be minor.

jakncoke

Banned
I can play that game:

Microsoft goes and owns the market and all of that power from the PS4 won't matter anyways. I'll never understand platform cheering.

He, Ari, Baconsammy and Snes all come the same family
fanboys

jakncoke

Banned
Also I dont see how people have already determined what system they getting. Price and game window need to be outed before I can maked a decision. Only thing im certain of is that im not interested in the Wii U at its price point

Well depending on how they use that eSRAM, it sounds like the difference between DDR and GDDR will be minor.
Possible but that's not what I was getting at with my comment. The argument is "we don't know what the final specs will be so it's silly to talk performance!". Yeah, we kind of do unless Microsoft plans a fairly substantial redesign. So sites like Aandtech can certainly speculate quite easily on probable performance differences and what we can expect from the hardware.

Also I dont see how people have already determined what system they getting. Price and game window need to be outed before I can maked a decision. Only thing im certain of is that im not interested in the Wii U at its price point
It's asinine. We've barely seen the games from these platforms!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Just heard the Crabtree news.

Godslay

Banned
Possible but that's not what I was getting at with my comment. The argument is "we don't know what the final specs will be". Yeah, we kind of do unless Microsoft plans a fairly substantial redesign. So sites like Aandtech can certainly speculate quite easily on probable performance differences and what we can expect from the hardware.

They are speculating via comparisons with off the shelf parts though. Wasn't Xenos considerably different than it's comparable PC card? Maybe time has faded my memory.

As far as the memory, I was just surprised that if used correctly that eSRAM makes the difference minute.

I also found this in the Cloud thread, I thought it was an excellent example of cloud use. AI is a pretty intensive CPU process, so by dumping it off, you free up cycles to be used elsewhere:

Ok, just as an example. Imagine a multiplayer FPS today with an AI sniper laying in wait for a number of folks all around the map. Today, each instance has to host it's own AI for the sniper, and it has to be completely synced and completely predictable. In a future game of this type, the sniper can be hosted in the cloud, with hugely superior AI, randomness, learning, etc. and the only things you need to keep synced are player positions, and who the sniper fires on. Low bandwidth, latency tolerant, and it allows you to have unlimited AI actors in a multiplayer game without the nightmares this used to be, and with almost zero processing cost for the console.

squicken

The choice of RAM had a cascade effect on the whole system each comapny designed. The CPUs and GPUs are from the same family. It's apples to apples, and Sony has more apples for both. b/c MS used slower RAM, they had to allocate silicon on ESRAM to make up for the loss of memory bandwidth. Sony, by using better RAM, got to use all their silicon on the GPU and CPU. If anything, MS has the more exotic architecture that could be harder to fully use, especially if the PS4 becomes the lead platform.

brentech

The Irony is hilarious. 360 was underpowered compared to PS3 by this logic.

But no one ever claimed the PS3 was easy to program for. It was a bitch for many to wrap their head around, and the cell was only faster for certain uses, particularly multi threading, which games don't use much.

PC games are just now starting to make use of multi-threading...and there isn't many of them. The PS3 simply had raw power...but not for games.

That was the only point I was trying to make. I cant believe all this fanboy garbage has invaded this place now.

lol, :you

But no one ever claimed the PS3 was easy to program for. It was a bitch for many to wrap their head around, and the cell was only faster for certain uses, particularly multi threading, which games don't use much.

PC games are just now starting to make use of multi-threading...and there isn't many of them. The PS3 simply had raw power...but not for games.
You really think the arguments being made are that nuanced?

Milchjon

Is it just me or was last season pretty low on really memorable plays?

Apart from maybe the replacement ref TD, that one cool move by the Saints player where he avoided two defenders (don't even remember who) and maybe 4th and 29, what was there?

Oh, Lloyd's smiling catch was awesome, of course.

Apart from maybe the replacement ref TD, that one cool move by the Saints player where he avoided two defenders (don't even remember who) and maybe 4th and 29, what was there?

The Flacco late TD against the Broncos?

Striker

Ramses Barden on his way back to the Giants

If that's true, he's sending the wrong message. He makes Jerry's decision to dump him and keep Cruz that much easier considering how injury prone Nicks has been. Reese has draft investments in Jernigan and a 2nd rounder in Randle who he compared to Nicks when he picked him last season.
Like I told AT, Barden is a camp body. No one wants him, even the former Giants OC in Tampa. Suppose he won't be a bad pickup if a player got injured or something but he has no place on the roster with Randle, Jernigan, and Murphy.

I don't buy the Nicks thing, either. He has absolutely no leverage (coming off his worst season).

Apologies in advance to Godslay but that late bomb from Flacco was just insane.

brentech

I'm sure there's a bunch of great plays. We just watch a lot of football and some cram together.

Even though I'm a Broncos fan, I have to say Flacco's late TD pass against us in the playoffs was pretty memorable. Well, for me, because it fills me with anger.

ChanHuk

Banned
Actually Flacco had two memorable plays well, his WR and RB made an amazing play he just lobbed it up. 4-29 dump to Ray Rice and bomb to Boldin.

Godslay

Banned
The choice of RAM had a cascade effect on the whole system each comapny designed. The CPUs and GPUs are from the same family. It's apples to apples, and Sony has more apples for both. b/c MS used slower RAM, they had to allocate silicon on ESRAM to make up for the loss of memory bandwidth. Sony, by using better RAM, got to use all their silicon on the GPU and CPU. If anything, MS has the more exotic architecture that could be harder to fully use, especially if the PS4 becomes the lead platform.

Sounds like marginal power gains, for potentially a higher price.

Unless the difference is enormous, and puts the X1 to shame of course. The most likely scenario is what we had last gen. PS4 being the powerhouse, X1 not far behind, U doing it's own thing.

As far as being the lead platform, I wonder who will pull away? My guess is MS, but devs could be lured away by fast and easy to use RAM. It will be interesting!

Top Bottom