• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

jakncoke

Banned
Carts and discs can get worn too when not properly stored and handled.

Which judging by my experience from family and buying used/renting is damn near 95%.Will understand why people are spend hundreds on games only to randomly fling it around like frisbees(or whatever they do to get all the damage)

I only want the Blackhawks to advance because I think they will beat the Pens. I dont think any of the other teams left can beat the Pens and I really dont want them to win another cup.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Carts and discs can get worn too when not properly stored and handled.

For collectors this would be a problem. The game itself doesn't degrade in quality but....

Media definitely suffers from decreased perceived value over time, even if the disk itself stays pristine. A PSone game from 1999 will have lost more of its value (as a percentage) than a car from 1999.

And even short term it applies, otherwise no one would ever buy a game at full price at all.

Not saying the analogy is great, though.

Yeah games do suffer from a perception of quality over time. I don't believe devs see that as a logical conclusion though.

Honestly prices have to operate on Steam levels if they want to eliminate second hand sales. That would make more sense to me than a bizarre and complex half measure that keeps coming up in discussion. From a consumer's prospective it's far easier to either use the old system of used games or none at all but the pricing mechanisms will have to adjust.

And then there's the issue of how used products work in the EU and other countries. Steam supposedly was ordered to provide a system for reselling software but people tend to be happy with how things work so there isn't an uproar.

The whole thing is a cluster and Sony/MS need to clear this up. They honestly should have clarified it prior to E3 instead of potentially poisoning their entire expo.

I really dont think either company will talk about used games at E3. MS will just show games and Sony will show games and talk a bit more about PS4 features. My guess is they will wait closer to launch and try to bury the used game stuff with some other bigger announcement like price/release date. Most customers are not online reading game news and so if MS/Sony dont make a big deal about the used game policy most people wont even know about it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I really dont think either company will talk about used games at E3. MS will just show games and Sony will show games and talk a bit more about PS4 features. My guess is they will wait closer to launch and try to bury the used game stuff with some other bigger announcement like price/release date. Most customers are not online reading game news and so if MS/Sony dont make a big deal about the used game policy most people wont even know about it.

That's the other alternative true.

I still think there'd be less outrage overall if they went full PC DRM but then changed the MSRP of games back to 49.99.

That's the other alternative true.

I still think there'd be less outrage overall if they went full PC DRM but then changed the MSRP of games back to 49.99.

God I wish they would lower the price of games, I would definitely be more inclined to take a flyer on a game at $50. I think Ea already confirmed $70 new games next gen which really fucking sucks. If mid-level publishers were just smart they would budget price their games. I know there were a few $40 360 retail games this gen. More companies should do stuff like that.

MS had that presentation to get the bad stuff out of the way. E3 will be all games.

It's not unlike when Nintendo debuted the Wii name before their conference. They let the chuckles die, then went about their business.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
God I wish they would lower the price of games, I would definitely be more inclined to take a flyer on a game at $50. I think Ea already confirmed $70 new games next gen which really fucking sucks. If mid-level publishers were just smart they would budget price their games. I know there were a few $40 360 retail games this gen. More companies should do stuff like that.

First party Sony games going for $39.99 was awesome during the PS2 era! $70 games are absurd unless its an Elder Scrolls game or something you'll play for a million hours.

MS had that presentation to get the bad stuff out of the way. E3 will be all games.

It's not unlike when Nintendo debuted the Wii name before their conference. They let the chuckles die, then went about their business.

I think the worst part about the Wii was the name. It was probably considered underpowered and such but I remember being hyped for the virtual console (they never did live up to my idea of being able to play EVERY Nintendo game ever though).

bionic77

I only want the Blackhawks to advance because I think they will beat the Pens. I dont think any of the other teams left can beat the Pens and I really dont want them to win another cup.
Why do Flyer fans all hate the Pens?

I don't follow hockey and I would feel dirty bandwagoning but this seems to be consistent with the few flyer fans I know.

That would shut everyone up real quick.

Sounds way too good to be true though.

Also are you serious about EA games being 70? Ugh. I am not down with that. If we get 70 dollar games I mught seriously just say fuck it and go handheld only.

I don't follow hockey and I would feel dirty bandwagoning but this seems to be consistent with the few flyer fans I know.

That would shut everyone up real quick.

Sounds way too good to be true though.

Also are you serious about EA games being 70? Ugh. I am not down with that. If we get 70 dollar games I mught seriously just say fuck it and go handheld only.

I hate the Pens due to the way the league treats them. I really never had a problem with them at all back when they had Mario and Jagr, but rigging the lottery for Sidney and now all the garbage they get away with it just drives me nuts as a hockey fan. I hate James Neal with every fiber of my being and want nothing but terrible things to happen to him.

About the $70 games I know there was a thread on gaming saying that Battlefield 4 would be $70 on the XB1 and PS4, but maybe it is just that game. I think there will be a real backlash if every game is $70.

bionic77

I hate the Pens due to the way the league treats them. I really never had a problem with them at all back when they had Mario and Jagr, but rigging the lottery for Sidney and now all the garbage they get away with it just drives me nuts as a hockey fan. I hate James Neal with every fiber of my being and want nothing but terrible things to happen to him.

About the $70 games I know there was a thread on gaming saying that Battlefield 4 would be $70 on the XB1 and PS4, but maybe it is just that game. I think there will be a real backlash if every game is $70.
Fair enough on the Pens hate. I am in the dark about Hockey.

And fuuuuuuuuuck $70 games. I swear they are actually trying to kill off gaming as fast as possible. Instead of aping Hollywood budgets they need to start offering more value. 3DS is looking better every day. If 70 turns out to be true I might just say fuck the PS4 and get a Vita.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
FMT.gif

:lol

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Generally speaking, if one AAA game is priced at $70, all other games claiming to be AAA (read: nearly every single game made) wont be priced lower because they don't want to be perceived as an inferior product.

I feel like this generation is going to be when the publishers and console makers push the consumer too far and the industry will contract.

ChanHuk

Banned
Did that virgin really attempt suicide? Or did his attempt turn into an actual suicide?

Had to transport a 15 year old on Sunday to the PICU because she OD on Celexa. I'm assuming she's dead now. When you OD on antidepressants the outcome is death or if somehow you survive, permanent brain damage. She was completely altered when we picked her up from the ER, I was surprised she wasn't seizing yet.

I really wish publishers would get away from the AAA game stupidity. Rainbow 6Vegas is one of my favorite games this gen. No way did it have a huge budget and that is fine since it did what it set out to do well. Next gen Rainbow 6 Patriots doesnt need a $50m budget, and 3 hours of cinematics with Hollywood stars doing voice work, but that is exactly what Ubisoft will do and then they will kill the franchise when it doesnt sell 6m copies in its first month. If publishers just were realistic with what they are doing the industry would be in such better shape.

eznark

Banned

Don't worry, American Hero Joe Pavelski will stop the Pittsburgh Hockey Yankees.

joe.pavelski.jpg

Everyone hates the Penguins. If the Yankees and Patriots fucked, the Penguins would be their spawn. They are the amalgamation of all that is evil in sports.

ChanHuk

Banned
Poor People being greedy. We bought one once and had a blow out.Never again.

Fixed

The tire I need is 51, just need to put it on my rim

Did you get a new tire you cheeky bastard?

Raider fans. No sense in wasting a new tire when you are necklacing someone.

Raiders fans, best fans. Or at least the most hostile. Charles Woodson was scared to leave without a contract because of the mob of Raiders fans outside.

People wonder why tablet and smartphone gaming is taking over. Budgets are far too out of control with consoles and constantly rising. mid tier developers on consoles are nonexistent - you're either a AAA dev or working on smaller hardware. Even the top guns like EA and Square-Enix are claiming they can't afford to maintain their output.

bionic77

Generally speaking, if one AAA game is priced at $70, all other games claiming to be AAA (read: nearly every single game made) wont be priced lower because they don't want to be perceived as an inferior product.

I feel like this generation is going to be when the publishers and console makers push the consumer too far and the industry will contract.
Things do seem grim. They are really overestimating the value of their products.

I mean honestly even in a really strong gen I think for the average gamer you would be hard pressed to get him to buy more than 5 full price games at 60. Most gamers are poor as fuck and they are trying to squeeze them more?

Well I am not the highly paid asshole making these decisions but it smells like a disaster to me.

eznark

Banned
People wonder why tablet and smartphone gaming is taking over. Budgets are far too out of control with consoles and constantly rising. mid tier developers on consoles are nonexistent - you're either a AAA dev or working on smaller hardware. Even the top guns like EA and Square-Enix are claiming they can't afford to maintain their output.

Decentralized distribution is the future. Look at the new direction in CPU's. Before long we'll be able to have Ouya type devices that can perform as well as the current generation. The game system will become a commodity and the digital delivery service will be the "console" but every system will be able to run them all. "Xbox 4" will just be a Steam clone that runs on a Roku box.

The big publishers are in for a butt fucking but consumers are going to reap the benefits of self-publication and decentralization.

Don't worry, American Hero Joe Pavelski will stop the Pittsburgh Hockey Yankees.

Everyone hates the Penguins. If the Yankees and Patriots fucked, the Penguins would be their spawn. They are the amalgamation of all that is evil in sports.

I would love for the Sharks to win a cup. I went to a bunch of Sharks games when I lived in SF and the fans there were really great. I also always root for a team that has never won a championship once the Philly teams are out. I just worry about Neimi winning another cup. He is just so streaky and if he goes bad it is going to get ugly. I am really pulling for them to beat the Kings though. Fuck Richards and Carter.

Your description of the Pens is absolutely perfect.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Things do seem grim. They are really overestimating the value of their products.

I mean honestly even in a really strong gen I think for the average gamer you would be hard pressed to get him to buy more than 5 full price games at 60. Most gamers are poor as fuck and they are trying to squeeze them more?

Well I am not the highly paid asshole making these decisions but it smells like a disaster to me.

This is why I think full PC style DRM a la Steam could have been a fantastic compromise. If they just ripped off the entire Steam model, that would be a win for everyone. Game prices have to come down but then publishers need to push volume and have actual evergreen titles. This is a concept that people with their tablets, phones, and PCs can understand and go along with.

Basically I hope Steambox will save us all!

Dragon

Banned

Go Bruins.

And since the thread about Arrested Development is overwhelmingly positive, I'll just say the new season is so hit and miss. Anyone else watch the whole thing? I had a bus ride back from DC to watch half the episodes.

eznark

Banned
I thought that Thorton was playing great this year. He seems like he is really focused and playing hard.

He played like shit the first two games of this series. He is definitely playing better than he normally does come playoff time though. Probably embarrassed that Joe Pavelski is 1000x better than he is.

Go Bruins.

And since the thread about Arrested Development is overwhelmingly positive, I'll just say the new season is so hit and miss. Anyone else watch the whole thing? I had a bus ride back from DC to watch half the episodes.

I have watched the 1st 13 episodes so far. The first like 3 or 4 episodes were a bit slower due to setting up all the different threads but once it gets to episode 4 I think they are all great after that. Gob's second episode and the Tobias episodes are some of the best stuff ever on the show. I was worried when they announced how each episode will be focused on a single character, but they have done an amazing job working within that limitation. I am liking this season even more then season 3.

Draxal

Did that virgin really attempt suicide? Or did his attempt turn into an actual suicide?

Had to transport a 15 year old on Sunday to the PICU because she OD on Celexa. I'm assuming she's dead now. When you OD on antidepressants the outcome is death or if somehow you survive, permanent brain damage. She was completely altered when we picked her up from the ER, I was surprised she wasn't seizing yet.

Man, you must get pretty desensitized to that shit don't you. It's a rough profession.

Go Bruins.

I thought the first few episodes dragged (and then I took notice that some episodes are like past 30 minutes) but I thought it came together better later on. Loved the GOB episodes.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Go Bruins.

I still can't get over how bad Portia De Rossi looks. It's the one part of the show that is making it difficult to see Season 4 as a true continuation.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Games have been about 70 bucks up here for as long as I can remember. Fucking taxes man.

DS and vita games are about mid 40s after tax.

I still can't get over how bad Portia De Rossi looks. It's the one part of the show that is making it difficult to see Season 4 as a true continuation.

Maybe and Steve Holt's looks are both really jarring. Didnt they say in the 1st episode that it is 5 years later? I can understand why some people would look different after that long.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

She looks a lot better then Steve Holt. New season is alright so far. Not the greatest thing but its good. Still gotta finish it though.

People are pissed at AP. Do they expect everyone have the same views. Plus chances are he was brought up that way.

eznark

Banned
She looks a lot better then Steve Holt. New season is alright so far. Not the greatest thing but its good. Still gotta finish it though.

People are pissed at AP. Do they expect everyone have the same views. Plus chances are he was brought up that way.

That's an excuse?? I'm gonna use that from now on! Stop banning me Bish!

Dragon

Banned

Yeah no arguments here. She's had a lot of work done it looks like. She was so attractive in the first three seasons.

I have a hard time with the format. I realize they had to do it this way because of scheduling issues but man it makes things hard to watch without being confused. I'll have to do a rewatch.

Who cares how he was brought up. Guy should think for himself.

ChanHuk

Banned
Gay people want to get married. Leave them be.

If gay people want to be miserable by getting married, then by all means let them be miserable being married.

This place gets offended way too easily. I hate everyone almost equally (Pats fans are the worst)

jakncoke

Banned
Cost 61 bucks, apparently the other tires are at 2/32 inch. idc though im buying a new car in 2 months

Fixed

Did you get a new tire you cheeky bastard?

Raiders fans, best fans. Or at least the most hostile. Charles Woodson was scared to leave without a contract because of the mob of Raiders fans outside.

I wouldnt even know where to get a used tire lol. Junk yard?

bionic77

Games have been about 70 bucks up here for as long as I can remember. Fucking taxes man.

DS and vita games are about mid 40s after tax.
Dat Canadian tax.

Instead of going to 80 next gen they may just say fuck it and go back to 100 for a game taking advantage of your national meekness and good manners.

Top Bottom