• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

ESPN said:
The notable absences from practice Wednesday were defensive tackle Randy Starks (contract) and No. 1 receiver Mike Wallace (undisclosed). Starks is upset over the franchise tag, and Philbin did not explain why Wallace wasn’t present when asked.
Interesting...

Hunter S.

Is the NFL offseason the longest in all sports or does it just feel like it?

Actually as I type this I realize it's probably because unlike the other sports there isn't any national tournaments or competitions that go on to pass the time.

This is why hockey needs to be start in January every season and not October. So it Does less conflicting schedules with the NFL and no boring summer of only baseball. I think I saw a stat recently that about 97% of football players are American born so this is not going to change any time soon.

Fantomex

We have already grilled a few times this year.

Grilling is the best. Lately we are grilling some kebobs with peppers and onions. Usually do some burgers as well. Fucking fantastic!

Going to get the wife to fry up some chicken one of these days too. Been too long since I last had some good fried chicken, I think my arteries have probably healed up from the last time so I am good to go! Next to go to the butcher and get some steaks too.

Also second on grilled food with football. Such a perfect combination. I will have to settle for Caillou and NBA playoffs!

Man I couldn't stand Caillou and his dumb whining all the time. "No Rosie, that's my toy" ,I'd rather watch Barney.

Threads move too fast on the gaming side nowadays. It's so hard to have a discussion about any issue that's remotely hot because of how quickly every post gets buried. Oh well, at least I have you guys.

The big problem with spending sprees is that guys already on the team wonder why they didn't get paid. As far as Wallace ... well he wanted that South Beach life
It's tough to argue with you on either point.

Hunter S.

Threads move too fast on the gaming side nowadays. It's so hard to have a discussion about any issue that's remotely hot because of how quickly every post gets buried. Oh well, at least I have you guys.
Not if it is controversial like half of mine. I often get like 5 replies because half my posts are sarcasim, jokes, or conflict with many gamers traditional ideals.

Fantomex

:lol

One week after his comments about how "hungry" the Dolphins are.

Dumb receivers. Just shut up and let your play and teammates/coaches do the talking for you! Player communications should not go beyond the lessons they gave in Bull Durham.

Receivers with good attitudes are so hard to come by now. And when you find a good one like Welker, he is lured by evil organizations like the Patsies.

MechDX

Receivers with good attitudes are so hard to come by now. And when you find a good one like Welker, he is lured by evil organizations like the Patsies.

And some just fight evil
andre-johnson-beats-courtland-o.gif

I was going to go 780 but I've been so pleased with the 570 that I didn't really see the need to go the 780 route. What pushed you that way?
I was looking at the Titan but considering the 780 is only about 8% slower for nearly $400 less, it made sense to go that route as an incremental update. I can offload my 680 for about $300 which will put the 780 at $350. It's a vanity upgrade I must admit. Very few games have really pushed the 680 for me @1080p but if I can squeeze out a smoother Metro Last Light or some of the other stuff coming down the pipe - I'm fine with it.

I'll follow the same cycle when the 880 is inevitably released though I think by that point, I'm likely to just do a complete rebuild hopefully with Haswell released.

WedgeX

Banned

It always a crap shoot. Some times you end up with guys willing to sacrifice everything, all the while keeping their heads down.

ibxb0BfPqifZeO.jpg

Then you end up with people who are crazy pants. Possibly enough to warrant serious psychiatric interventions.

izwjSKi1X6SXw.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yep, and while there is a place for that it starts to get old when that is the only style of posting that's encouraged by the environment. I have no idea how to fix it, though.
Well, many posters have already found their own solution by migrating to threads like these where they can slow down and actually talk (sometimes).

Hunter S.

And that's the kind of post that gets rewarded in such an environment.
Never been banned here so it is not that bad. In fact, I say nothing rude I just usually do not agree with certain ideals that gaming should not evolve past what people are used to. I won't go on much, but than again I rarely leave off-topic, and only became more active on GAF recently. My stuff is good hitokage as good as Welker catching passes from the master Peyton all day.

squicken

Well, many posters have already found their own solution by migrating to threads like these where they can slow down and actually talk (sometimes).

Yep. It's fun to read the gaming side for big news, but pointless to try and discuss anything. Not sure if that is what evilore really wants, but in high traffic times I doubt he's too bothered

Fantomex

My buddy says Titus Young is a pretty odd guy, his bail is 50k and he can't afford it nor will his family pay for it.

It's more of a matter of health. His family would rather him be in Jail in a solitary unit until he probably realize he needs mental help. I had an uncle who was an addict, and the family came to the same conclusion. They need to hit bottom and stay there for a while before they can process what's happening and that they really need to change their lifestyle.

It is so annoying how threads just disappear on the gaming side. There was, what seemed like a surprising mature discussion going on in the will Sony's claims of superiority hurt the Ps4 thread. I even posted in it but now I cant find it and when I go through my post history no such post comes up. If it strange that that thread would get deleted when the why I want MS out of the industry thread stayed open all day yesterday.

Edit: Now it is there, it just doesnt show up in my post history. So odd.

Fantomex

I don't know why, but I always picture B Larry looking like Hakeem The Dream from WWF. I know this is random but I just had to share.

akeemdance.gif

slick-akeem-o.gif

eznark

Banned
This is why hockey needs to be start in January every season and not October. So it Does less conflicting schedules with the NFL and no boring summer of only baseball. I think I saw a stat recently that about 97% of football players are American born so this is not going to change any time soon.

I actually agree, though I'd like them to start in December, play 50 games, and be done by the end of March. I loved the season this year. For someone who doesn't have a team it's tough to follow a 9 month season.

Hunter S.

I actually agree, though I'd like them to start in December, play 50 games, and be done by the end of March. I loved the season this year. For someone who doesn't have a team it's tough to follow a 9 month season.
Even having a home team in the NHL makes it hard to follow all the increadible amount of games with my other priorities, and interests. 50 games is a little lower than I would prefer, but it could make matchups more meaningful, and give longer breaks in between the games for analysis by fans if they were further between each other. I do not expect mass support in this from all fans, but there is a definite minority that do want a shorter season.

bionic77

Looks like some unrealistic physics animation in madden

We wish the physics and animations in Madden were that good!

Thats what I want from next gen Madden, but we didn't get any improvement this gen and with no competition I am kind of skeptical about it for next gen as well. :(

Too bad most gamers are mouth breathing retards. If they really cared about gameplay then more resources would be devoted to framerates, animation and physics instead of the status quo, which is basically to create graphics that look the best during cutscenes and in pictures.

Milchjon

We wish the physics and animations in Madden were that good!

Thats what I want from next gen Madden, but we didn't get any improvement this gen and with no competition I am kind of skeptical about it for next gen as well. :(

Too bad most gamers are mouth breathing retards. If they really cared about gameplay then more resources would be devoted to framerates, animation and physics instead of the status quo, which is basically to create graphics that look the best during cutscenes and in pictures.

You're just mad because you can't use your family TV anymore for stuff that looks good and all your gaming has to be done on some underpowered piece of plastic on the loo.

:p

eznark

Banned
Even having a home team in the NHL makes it hard to follow all the increadible amount of games with my other priorities, and interests. 50 games is a little lower than I would prefer, but it could make matchups more meaningful, and give longer breaks in between the games for analysis by fans if they were further between each other. I do not expect mass support in this from all fans, but there is a definite minority that do want a shorter season.

Mine is a pretty hardcore hockey family and I was stunned that all of them totally agreed with me. The problem is that the NHL pretty much only generates revenue from the gates. And drastically reducing the number of tickets available would probably kill the league unless the more compact season resulted in a higher TV deal.

bionic77

You're just mad because you can't use your family TV anymore for stuff that looks good and all your gaming has to be done on some underpowered piece of plastic on the loo.

:p
There you go with that Patriot Euro mentality. You see in America we don't live in tiny closets and our giant houses are loaded with HDTVs out of the ass. Unlike the Euros whose welfare checks were just cut in half due to austerity measures (i.e. being broke as fuck) and are limited to just one shitty 720P locally produced POS televisions, I, like most Americans, have 3 HDTVs in my house. Only one of which is a piece of shit 720 that we keep in the bedroom. I have thought about upgrading to a modern tv in my room but I hate throwing shit away for no reason and the old one still works. We also have another HDTV in the basement along with a nice 32" Sony CRT that is turned on only for old school games.

P.S. Even if I had more time to play games I would still prefer the 3DS. It is definitely underpowered but the games on it are superior to what home consoles have to offer. Which is not surprising because the same was true of the ancient DS!

Looks like the Dallas cowboys draft board was leaked, have fun with this I must go now
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/5/30/4378574/dallas-cowboys-2013-draft-board-leaked-almost-complete-7-round-board

That's an interesting look. Thanks! Wish more teams boards would leak in the aftermath of the draft. Be curious to see the thinking behind the decisions and which teams truly follow a BPA strategy.

Judging from their board, the biggest deviation was the Center in the first and it doesn't appear to be too much of a reach on their board. Still have to question it though considering Floyd was ranked so highly for them and was still available with their pick if memory serves.

squicken

That's an interesting look. Thanks! Wish more teams boards would leak in the aftermath of the draft. Be curious to see the thinking behind the decisions and which teams truly follow a BPA strategy.

Judging from their board, the biggest deviation was the Center in the first and it doesn't appear to be too much of a reach on their board. Still have to question it though considering Floyd was ranked so highly for them and was still available with their pick if memory serves.

The problem will always be that they could have had Eifert, who they have as the best TE, and Fredrick. I get that they may have viewed the gap between C1 and C2 to be much larger than TE1 and TE2, so why not trade up in the second?

The problem will always be that they could have had Eifert, who they have as the best TE, and Fredrick. I get that they may have viewed the gap between C1 and C2 to be much larger than TE1 and TE2, so why not trade up in the second?
True. My only issue is they Floyd as a top 5 player on their board and yet they reached for a Center that they could have likely gotten in the second. Outside of that, I thought they had a pretty solid draft.

Seems that the Cowboys value a center in the first more than they would a TE in the first, and they're probably not the only ones.

squicken

Seems that the Cowboys value a center in the first more than they would a TE in the first, and they're probably not the only ones.

I really like Eifert. Besides Austin, I thought he was the top skill position guy in the draft, and probably a better value given where he was taken. I just think it came down to them needing a center, and the position being weak in the draft. A lot of teams take UDFAs and late round guys and develop them into interior OL, so it might speak to Dallas having an issue with coaching there in the past

Top Bottom