• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

As an impartial observer, I'm bummed about this whole Raiders snafu and what it likely means for the rebuilding of the franchise. I thought Reggie McKenzie has been doing a decent job restocking the team, and now it seems like he and Mark Davis are destined to clash and McKenzie will probably be gone, whether it be next year or sometime later.

It's just a PR guy, dime a dozen. Media is just blowing it out of proportion because it's the Raiders.

Milchjon

Oh, speaking of hot redheads, Amy Adams

045gagl.gif

JABEE

Because of an injury to Vick or because he really is better? How is he doing during OTA's?

Probably because of a Vick injury. They have been cycling each position player. No one has their number 1 spot shut.

I have heard that Matt Barkley is doing well in OTAs, but it's hard to tell anything from mini camps.

ChanHuk

Banned
That would have the opposite effect. Speaking in Popeye terms beefy crunch burritos are Freeman's spinach.

Well I assume a 4th round pick isn't making Josh Freeman 1st round pre-cap money. So he'd have to get him loaded stuffed grillers and beefy crunch burritos.

I made more green dirt concoction. Its green, really green.

The refs in the NBA are the worst. Just saw the penalty from last game that Leburn threw a fit about. You just know all those calls are going his way tonight. The officials really do determine close games

JABEE

What does that even mean?

Citizen Kane changed the way films were made. People point to the movie as the moment films moved from being filmed stage productions to what we saw in films over the past 60 years.

If we were looking at gaming's Citizen Kane, it would have to create seismic changes in the way games are made. I'm looking forward to Last of Us, but I don't expect that.

If you want to know more about Citizen Kane and how it led to Orson Welles's demise as a filmmaker, you can see it here.

He was blackballed from the movie industry, because Citizen Kane was basically opening a window to the eccentricity and controversy surrounding William Randolph Heart's life. Hearst owned the papers and used his connections with the media and government to write terrible things about Welles, prevent him from winning an Oscar, and try to have the government blacklist him as a communist.

Here is the first part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR2s6_Xbi9M

Fantomex

Because you touch yourself at night.

That's also the reason for DRM and no used games for this years consoles.

How dare you insinuate I am involved in fornication! YOU degenerate heathen!

By the way I can see Nintendos stance. Everyone was talking about the Xbone's conference and them not showing any games. Nintendo is jealous at the publicity going "We've been doing that for a whole year!"

Citizen Kane changed the way films were made. People point to the movie as the moment films moved from being filmed stage productions to what we saw in films over the past 60 years.

If we were looking at gaming's Citizen Kane, it would have to create seismic changes in the way games are made. I'm looking forward to Last of Us, but I don't expect that.

If you want to know more about Citizen Kane and how it led to Orson Welles's demise as a filmmaker, you can see it here.

He was blackballed from the movie industry, because Citizen Kane was basically opening a window to the eccentricity and controversy surrounding William Randolph Heart's life. Hearst owned the papers and used his connections with the media and government to write terrible things about Welles, prevent him from winning an Oscar, and try to have the government blacklist him as a communist.

Here is the first part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR2s6_Xbi9M

I know what Citizen Kane is, bro and its place in movie history. You missed the point of the question.

Gamers need to stop trying to justify the medium to themselves and the rest of the world. The only reason gaming ever needs to have a "Citizen Kane moment" is to somehow legitimize it in the view of the outside world as a proper narrative medium when the reality is that games with an actual story/writing that's worth a damn are few and very far between. So we continue to anoint whatever game has even a competent story as that moment. This one is the one! The one that will bring about the paradigm shift! It's a waste of time and the medium would be better off if we stopped using film as the bar that needs to be met.

If the seismic shift you're looking for is for game developers to place an actual focus/value on good writing and well told stories - good luck with that. Gaming has yet to have its "Citizen Kane" moment and it won't for a very long time.

Though if you want to be technical about it, gaming has had plenty of watershed moments that have shifted how games are made. Super Mario 64 was a "Citizen Kane" moment in that regard as a semi-recent example. Has nothing to do with narrative but then that's the "dream" as it were. When is a game going to equal the greatest films in the storytelling department?

JABEE

I know what Citizen Kane is, bro and its place in movie history. You missed the point of the question.

Gamers need to stop trying to justify the medium to themselves and the rest of the world. The only reason gaming ever needs to have a "Citizen Kane moment" is to somehow legitimize it in the view of the outside world as a proper narrative medium when the reality is that games with an actual story/writing that's worth a damn are few and very far between.

If the seismic shift you're looking for is for game developers to place an actual focus/value on competent writing and well told stories - good luck with that. Gaming has yet to have its "Citizen Kane" moment and it won't for a very long time.

I agree. It's also weird that gaming always measures its accomplishments as a comparison to what film has already done rather than what game creators can do with the unique attributes that games have in terms of being able to interact with content. You would think doing something new and revolutionary with that intrinsic quality of games would be what creators and critics would be thinking about, but that is not the case.

Neither of us have played Last of Us, except the demo, but I roll my eyes whenever I see these statements of momentous advancements in gaming just as you do.

Most reviews are about one-upping the hyperbolic statements made by the reviewer of the last big game. It has become a competition of enthusiasm. Talking about how something is amazing and has never been done before with little to no details about what differentiates it from previous products is a way to turn heads and generate clicks. It's why you see those Polygon reviews like Sim City and Diablo headline with how those games are the "best" *something something*.

Feels good to not be a poor. I couldn't give the slightest fuck if the rumors prove true concerning used games. Refuse to ever buy them used anyway. Bring on E3!

I agree. It's also weird that gaming always measures its accomplishments as a comparison to what film has already done rather than what game creators can do with the unique attributes that games have in terms of being able to interact with content. You would think doing something new and revolutionary with that intrinsic quality of games would be what creators and critics would be thinking about, but that is not the case.

Neither of us have played Last of Us, except the demo, but I roll my eyes whenever I see these statements of momentous advancements in gaming just as you do.

Most reviews are about one-upping the hyperbolic statements made by the reviewer of the last big game. It has become a competition of enthusiasm. Talking about how something is amazing and has never been done before with little to no details about what differentiates it from previous products is a way to turn heads and generate clicks. It's why you see those Polygon reviews like Sim City and Diablo headline with how those games are the "best" *something something*.
Absolutely and it reeks of desperation. As though the gaming media/community must have that approval to make the hobby legitimate. Who cares? If you're having fun, then people can go watch whatever high brow shit that makes them feel better about themselves.

ChanHuk

Banned
Congrats on the interview.

I'm trading my laptop for his DS XL and Luigis Mansion

I only bought Luigi's Mansion for Mario 3DLand (Free with a purchase of a new XL and Luigi), I traded it in for Fire Emblem as soon as I was done with it. Your Macbook, its what a 2009 unibody?

Top Bottom