• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Except hopefully The Last of Us won't be underwhelming and disappointing. Those 8/10 reviews for UC3 were a lot closer to the mark than most people expected at the time, at least in my opinion.
To be fair, it was always going to be tough to try and surpass the second game.

A new Deus Ex is announced and it's a fucking iOS game?

UGH UGH UGH.

:jnc. Sony don't give a shit about the Vita.

There was a thread on game that had a leaked list of Vita stuff they were going to show and it was like 20 games long. I really think Sony is going to make one big push for Vita, and if that doesnt work then maybe they give up. It does seem like it is a huge piece of their next gen plans though. They are forcing remote play functionality on all games, and Sony in notoriously weak when it comes to implementing anything on their consoles. Usually everything is just left up to the publishers to do.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
You do know that most PS+ games come down at the end of each month right? Sony has a few yearly games, which are going to change around June 10th, but the rest are monthly. If you were to sign up for + now you would miss out on most of the PSV games that have been offered, of course if you already have + and have been downloading them all along you will be good. I do hope they start switching up the offerings a bit more. I am not a huge fighting game fan and we have gotten like 6 full fighting games so far, and 2 on PSV already.

Darkest you are so right about EA. Their PSP versions of Madden were a complete joke and they dont seem to be doing any better with PSV. I love playing the Show at work, and a portable Madden that was a good port would be a no brainer. I currently buy Madden on 360, but I would switch to the PS3 version if it was cross buy with the PSV version. Speaking of Madden I hope the version with the Season Ticket offer comes to PSV/XB1. I have the 360 version pre-ordered but would rather get one of the next gen versions.

Huh. So they do. Did not realize that you had to download them before they're gone.

Gonna need a bigger HDD!

UGH UGH UGH.

Please be excited.

(Square gonna square with Eidos even)

Alternatively,

"I didn't ask for this!"

UGH UGH UGH.
Definitely true.

I'll also echo your triple UGH's, I was hoping for big things with that Deus Ex game. HR is my second favorite game this generation so a proper sequel would be amazing.

Definitely true.

I'll also echo your triple UGH's, I was hoping for big things with that Deus Ex game. HR is my second favorite game this generation so a proper sequel would be amazing.

I skipped HR when it came out since I was really busy then, but it is on PS+ this month and I cant wait to play it.

Draxal

There was a thread on game that had a leaked list of Vita stuff they were going to show and it was like 20 games long. I really think Sony is going to make one big push for Vita, and if that doesnt work then maybe they give up. It does seem like it is a huge piece of their next gen plans though. They are forcing remote play functionality on all games, and Sony in notoriously weak when it comes to implementing anything on their consoles. Usually everything is just left up to the publishers to do.

No offense, the games on that list were entirely unimpressive. They're not going to sabotage their big chance on PS4 marketshare to recoup their losses on the Vita. It's going to be very hard to dethrone Nintendo from the handheld console wars with the monster that Pokemon is.

Probably token support. Vita was cooked from before it launched, and Sony knows it. When you don't assign your talented developers to make games for your fledgling platform you reap what you sow.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Last of Us review thread is pretty low on salt and fireworks.

I guess nobody gives a shit about Polygon.

Can't wait to play it next week. Seriously stoked for it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
0-1 all-time against the Dolphins, which should be a major concern to you considering that's who he will meet in the SB on the off chance the Seahawks ever get there.
Wilson has already reverse engineered your entire playbook from film alone. Such failures won't happen again.

No offense, the games on that list were entirely unimpressive. They're not going to sabotage their big chance on PS4 marketshare to recoup their losses on the Vita. It's going to be very hard to dethrone Nintendo from the handheld console wars with the monster that Pokemon is.
They don't need to dethrone Nintendo, they just need to find a nice little niche to settle into that is good enough to keep the Vita profitable. Who knows if they'll be able to do that at this point, though.

Wilson has already reverse engineered your entire playbook from film alone. Such failures won't happen again.
Yes, but that playbook didn't include the Dion Jordan factor!

I have low expectations for him as a rookie.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wishing a happy birthday to Hito.

I'll be bandwagoning the Seahawks this year because I need somebody to root for. And Russell Wilson is not only the best QB in the NFL but he's the best person as well. Truly a hero and role model for all.

How does supporting the vita hurt their PS4 efforts at all? Sony has already shown that it is going to be either smaller teams within big studios or smaller studios putting out vita games. I could see the list of unnanounced vita games being unimpressive but I am really excited to see what the 4 RPGs are. I need a new Jeanne D'arc game desperately. Some more turn based games would be great. I read in an atlus thread that Disgaea 3 vita sold great for them and far exceeded expectations. Hopefully that will be a sign to Sony/devs to put more games like that on the system and also that if you make a great port of a PS3 game people will support it.

Yes, but that playbook didn't include the Dion Jordan factor!

I have low expectations for him as a rookie.

Trade you Lane Johnson for him straight up!

BigAT

A task that was made even harder since apparently a lot of members of the Uncharted team were busy working on Last of Us instead. How I felt about Uncharted 3 and my disappointment with it made a lot more sense after finding out about that.

A task that was made even harder since apparently a lot of members of the Uncharted team were busy working on Last of Us instead. How I felt about Uncharted 3 and my disappointment with it made a lot more sense after finding out about that.

Yeah it was really shitty to learn that ND basically split into 2 teams and the main team went to work on the new IP while the B team did Uncharted 3. I guess Sony figured that U3 would sell well no matter what nd that it was more important to make sure that tLou turned out good.

BigAT

Yeah it was really shitty to learn that ND basically split into 2 teams and the main team went to work on the new IP while the B team did Uncharted 3. I guess Sony figured that U3 would sell well no matter what nd that it was more important to make sure that tLou turned out good.

They weren't incorrect, it's just shitty to be on the receiving end of it. Hopefully Last of Us will make up for it though.

Dragon

Banned
Probably token support. Vita was cooked from before it launched, and Sony knows it. When you don't assign your talented developers to make games for your fledgling platform you reap what you sow.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that. ND won't do portable games and they're by far their best developer. GG is doing a Vita game though so it's not as cut and dry as you're saying.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
You people™ talk like UC3 was terrible. It was a good game that simply couldn't live up to some lofty expectations. I'm long past getting my hopes up for a video game to blow my mind.

The Last of Us comes out next week?

aww yiss

I need to step up my GTA4 playing. Want to finish it up before I start a new game.

Hunter S.

They already had the winning formula, it is hard to expect any uncharted sequal to top 2 no matter what. 3 still did though in multiplayer and graphics at least.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Wishing a happy birthday to Hito.

I'll be bandwagoning the Seahawks this year because I need somebody to root for. And Russell Wilson is not only the best QB in the NFL but he's the best person as well. Truly a hero and role model for all.
Thanks!

Good things are going to happen this year. Never been this excited for an upcoming NFL season.

They already had the winning formula, it is hard to expect any uncharted sequal to top 2 no matter what. 3 still did though in multiplayer and graphics.

I didnt think that the MP was really better, that is my biggest complaint about UC3, and I did really enjoy the game overall. I played a ton of UC2 mp but UC3's just didnt grab me. It felt more like a map pack then an all new mp, but maybe I just didnt play it enough. Looking at what they are doing with tLou's mp it sounds fucking awesome, I wish they had put some new ideas like that into UC3's mp.

bionic77

Shame Pokemon is the perfect tablet game. Love Diamond on my tablet. Down with portables. Ninty needs to make software only.
No one spends that much money to develop or pay for games on tablets. As a gamer I understand what you are saying. I wish we could get Fire Emblem on every portable and on iOS and Android (and it actually would translate well to touch controls), but Nintendo would not make as much money if any doing that.

For those who want to see software only Nintendo look at Sega to see the results.

When Nintendo goes down I will see it as the death of Japanese gaming. Will be a sad day (for me at least). No one else seems to be able to make games like they do.

Greg

I think I found eznark on Facebook. The Packers posted a story about Johnny Jolly coming back, and all of the user comments were positive except for this one guy:

This guys is a 3 time screw up and a bum .....how many chances do you get to have the world served on a silver platter? I'm all for forgiveness but when in the public eye and you can't seem to get your act together after the first offence then why do we keep giving these bums chances?1?!?
No I won't shut up ...some one needs to say it. Why do we constantly reward bad behavior?
Explain to me why after all this bum has done why he deserves to be handed back into the NFL?

and here are his profile and cover photos:

385515_2543788548754_194829686_n.jpg

385288_4748019413148_1904832871_n.jpg

Hunter S.

No one spends that much money to develop or pay for games on tablets. As a gamer I understand what you are saying. I wish we could get Fire Emblem on every portable and on iOS and Android (and it actually would translate well to touch controls), but Nintendo would not make as much money if any doing that.

For those who want to see software only Nintendo look at Sega to see the results.

When Nintendo goes down I will see it as the death of Japanese gaming. Will be a sad day (for me at least). No one else seems to be able to make games like they do.
They probably could sell 50 million copies of each game, or more compared to the usual 13-16 million. The game is actually quite simple and translates easily to tablets control wise. It could lower prices and reach a wider audience. Benifiting both consumer and Ninty themselves. I am pretty sure Nintendo is not making profit on the 3DS from the hardware only the software. Same with the Vita which is not making profit at all. In fact, each unit sold is at a loss. Hence, why I call for the change in hardware to mobile which is soaring in profit.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that. ND won't do portable games and they're by far their best developer. GG is doing a Vita game though so it's not as cut and dry as you're saying.

Seems simple to me.

Sony needs a flagship Vita game.

Naughty Dog is Sony's best Internal Developer.

Naughty Dog is a fully owned subsidiary of Sony.

You people™ talk like UC3 was terrible. It was a good game that simply couldn't live up to some lofty expectations. I'm long past getting my hopes up for a video game to blow my mind.
I agree. I didn't dislike U3 at all. In fact it sort of settled in for me a bit more in my second play through but as I said, it was tough sledding for it right from the get-go. It had to live up the expectations we had set after Uncharted 2 which set the bar extremely high.

As for the Vita, I think Sony is hoping/pushing the remote play functions with the PS4 as a possible saving grace for the platform. With reports that remote play is mandatory it makes sense and I think if they can get Gaikai up and running quickly, it could be an absolute boon for the platform to have PSX and PS2 titles available for plus members (if that rumor pans out). It's amazing how many people bought into the PSP to have a hackable emulation platform...

I don't think it was terrible, just disappointing after UC2 and all the insanely glowing reviews. The whole aiming fiasco was also a big detractor for me, and it didn't get fixed until after I finished the game. I liked UC3 but I actually had more fun with Golden Abyss. All of the games in the series are great as far as I'm concerned, though.

ChanHuk

Banned
So it's like the scene in Anchorman. There's about 50 ambulances here for this bomb/earthquake drill. If only a fight would break out.

bionic77

They probably could sell 50 million copies of each game, or more compared to the usual 13-16 million. The game is actually quite simple and translates easily to tablets control wise. It could lower prices and reach a wider audience. Benifiting both consumer and Ninty themselves. I am pretty sure Nintendo is not making profit on the 3DS from the hardware only the software. Same with the Vita which is not making profit at all. In fact, each unit sold is at a loss. Hence, why I call for the change in hardware to mobile which is soaring in profit.
It would only sell 50 million if it was was 99 cents or free. Android users don't pay for anything and even iOS users won't go above 2-3 bucks in huge numbers. How many great
DS and other standard console games have been ported to iOS with improvements and yet I don't remember reading that any of them made a ton of money.

That might be the future but don't expect the same quality when it happens. It will be Sega 2.0.

Seems simple to me.

Sony needs a flagship Vita game.

Naughty Dog is Sony's best Internal Developer.

Naughty Dog is a fully owned subsidiary of Sony.

Sony tried to force Insomniac to make another R&C game when they wanted to do something different, and it wound up costing them as an exclusive studio. The ND guys have said they have no interest in making handheld games. I dont see how forcing them to make a vita game would do any good. Plus UC:GA was very well reviewed and most people seemed to really like it. Sony's mobile studio do good work, they just need to get more games out.

Hope any Philly gaffers are ok.

Yeah I am sure you were hoping I was in one of those houses. You arnt fooling me.

Sony tried to force Insomniac to make another R&C game when they wanted to do something different, and it wound up costing them as an exclusive studio. The ND guys have said they have no interest in making handheld games. I dont see how forcing them to make a vita game would do any good. Plus UC:GA was very well reviewed and most people seemed to really like it. Sony's mobile studio do good work, they just need to get more games out.

Yeah I am sure you were hoping I was in one of those houses. You arnt fooling me.

See if I wish for anything good for Eagle fans again!

It would only sell 50 million if it was was 99 cents or free. Android users don't pay for anything and even iOS users won't go above 2-3 bucks in huge numbers. How many great
DS and other standard console games have been ported to iOS with improvements and yet I don't remember reading that any of them made a ton of money.

That might be the future but don't expect the same quality when it happens. It will be Sega 2.0.

Nintendo software needs Nintendo hardware. Sega lost its fire when it didn't have the hardware to supplement its software. Space Harrier and Virtua Racing was a marvel just as much for the cabinet you sat in as the game itself.

If Sony cannot control their studios then they have a much bigger problem than the success of the Vita.

Draxal

How does supporting the vita hurt their PS4 efforts at all? Sony has already shown that it is going to be either smaller teams within big studios or smaller studios putting out vita games. I could see the list of unnanounced vita games being unimpressive but I am really excited to see what the 4 RPGs are. I need a new Jeanne D'arc game desperately. Some more turn based games would be great. I read in an atlus thread that Disgaea 3 vita sold great for them and far exceeded expectations. Hopefully that will be a sign to Sony/devs to put more games like that on the system and also that if you make a great port of a PS3 game people will support it.

Enforcing remote play hurts, making it an option helps the PS4.

Hunter S.

Square Enix for example is investing more in mobile because they make the most profit in mobile. Their games generally sell at $15-$20 which is reasonable.

Nintendo is so much bigger in first party software than Sega ever was. Nintendo could survive and work on what they do best which is games.

I admit android is less profitable than iOS, but it still has a much bigger global reach than iOS.

I just think this is were the industry will go whether people like it, or not. People treat mobile as if it cannot offer more than .99 cent games, but I know it can. I believe it will evolve into the same amount of quality as now only cheaper.

bionic77

You guys need to stop caring about sales, review scores, and the Patriots.

I stopped giving a fuck about review scores a long time ago. I only look to see what posters I know say about a game. I have played games since the early 80s which gives me about 20 years more experience than the majority of people who review games "professionally".

Also, I was watching some of Star Wars on the weekend and my God does that movie hold up in every fucking way possible. How is possible that a trilogy made before most of you were born still looks so fucking good. I honestly think the effects in Star Wars look better than most movies today. Just a perfect series. I can't wait for Disney to release the ultimate OG edition without any of that bullshit Lucas added so I can show it to my kids in 3-4 years.

Square Enix for example is investing more in mobile because they make the most profit in mobile. Their games generally sell at $15-$20 which is reasonable.

Nintendo is so much bigger in first party software than Sega ever was. Nintendo could survive and work on what they do best which is games.

I admit android is less profitable than iOS, but it still has a much bigger global reach than iOS.

I just think this is were the industry will go whether people like it, or not. People treat mobile as if it cannot offer more than .99 cent games, but I know it can. I believe it will evolve into the same amount of quality as now only cheaper.
What new games has Square released for iOS? They are just ports of 20 year old game that they charge $10 for. My point is that it is really expensive to create content for a kickass game and I don't see the business proposition of companies getting that money back in the app market, which is made for freebies and cheap shit. Let me know when something is released on iOS with as much content as a GBA game and is profitable and then I will take it seriously.

Draxal

It would be free but it would be heavily modified to support that tiering. Pay $25 to increase chance of rare spawn pokemon!!!!!

By far the biggest problem with Android gaming is piracy, I mean you basically just admitted to playing Diamond on your tablet right now.

Top Bottom